Onslow Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Busy ED, well staffed
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day at OMH is fast paced, a wide variety of patients and complaints are seen, and a broad spectrum of skills are usually utilized. I've received education from the clinical coordinators here that have made me feel more competent and well rounded regarding IV drips and management of the critical patient. Co-workers here are some of the best, most passionate and caring, highly skilled individuals I've ever had the pleasure of working with. It can be very difficult at times to manage the fast pace flow due to the high acuity of the majority of patients you see. I enjoy the interaction between other staff members and myself, along with feeling like I learn something new everyday that makes me a better nurse.
My Summary of a Unit Secertary
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 12, 2016
My typical day at my job is making sure the patients have order their meals, taking orders from all the doctors and nurses. Letting the nurses know that a patient or family member is needing something, answering all phones which can be three at one time, fixing charts, breaking down charts and fixing package envelopes for patient going to other facilities outside the hospital.
I have learned that if a patient is having a mental problem not to get upset so much or if one decease.
Watching my co-workers work with the patient amazes me. The patent they have and understanding the needs, the comfort some do for the family members. I have seen them collect money for some patients who need medicine. The staff is a hard working group.
The hardest part of my job is when to let go of my work in order for me to go home. I want to succeed in my daily job for the day.
Relay for Life is the enjoyable part of my job. The reaction people give me each year.
Pros
meeting different people, benefits, schedules
Cons
not enough full time workers, pay, raises, keeping staff
Very bad place to work
Cook/Baker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 4, 2016
Very bad management there at the hospital. Managers dating other managers in the same dept. its very sad to see a workplace go down hill.
ER
Emergency Clinical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 28, 2015
Typical Emergency Department. You see different walks of life every day. It is a fast paced environment and it will always keep you on your toes. The employees for the Emergency Department are and exception to the rule when it comes to patient care.
The Pediatric Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 6, 2015
I realized during my time here I thoroughly enjoy working with pediatric patients, new mothers, and their families. I love what I do and want to continue my career in this field.

My coworkers in my department are wonderful and help each other out regularly whether it be to assist a patient to the bathroom or helping start an IV on a pediatric patient. We all take pride and enjoy what we do.

The hardest part of this job is having to float to other departments during periods of low census in our unit, especially to areas we are not experienced in such as the Emergency Department or Telemetry.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to facilitate getting these pediatric clients better and making them smile or laugh when they feel their worst. And just knowing they may not like the things I have to do, but I know it is making them better.
An Excellent Team
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 5, 2015
Excellent collaboration between departments and specialties and teamwork within my unit.
Challenging patient assignments allow nurses to learn and grow through on-the-job experience.
Overtime opportunities are usually available to those looking to make extra money.
great for internship
Discharge Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  jacksonville, NCApril 16, 2015
This department was a good place for my internship for my field practicum during my senior year of college. I learned a great deal about human services. The Onslow Memorial family is one I will miss now that my internship is over.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 18, 2015
Onslow over all was a good place to work. The hospital was improving while I was there. New doctors where starting to arrive which meant that new therapies and education was starting to be used. I had fun while working here and would go back if I still lived in the area.
Need improvement
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  TelemetryFebruary 28, 2015
My coworkers were great. My problems were with management. I think they should actually take the time and talk to the employee and not at them. Everyone deserves to be respected.
Pros
employee discounts and an on site cafeteria
Cons
poor management and overworked and not enough staff
Teamwork
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 11, 2015
I really enjoyed working within this pharmacy department. The pharmacy staff worked together on tasks regardless of their title. I like how everyone had the same thing expected of them as soon as they walk through the door, patient care. I learned how to do IV admixture here and very much enjoyed it. I was a narcotics and IV technician among other tasks.
Pros
iv admixture certification, co-workers, narcotic technician
Cons
pay and raises
I hate this place....
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 29, 2015
The management sucks with no chance of advancement. They fired me because i was sick 4 times in a year instead of 3 that your allowed in one calendar year. that policy sucks. The hospital management team is racist.
Caring facility for patients and staff.
RN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ncDecember 6, 2014
I enjoy the co-workers I work with and we work well as a team. I have learned a lot at this facility that will take me further in my career.
Very organized, Great people
Student Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 6, 2014
As a student, I felt very welcome coming into this new environment. Everyone was very encouraging and I was able to learn many different things. I received plenty of positive feedback along with constructive criticism that I was able to apply and learn from.
Safe, fun work environment
Clinical Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 18, 2014
Busy Emergency Room . Put orders in for Doctors and ensured correct orders.
productive and fun place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  IMCUAugust 9, 2014
very employee friendly, they take care of their employees with benefits, flexible work schedule, continuing education
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
shift availability
Outpatient Surgery
Registered Nurse, Full Time (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 30, 2014
This has been my favorite job thus far. Wonderful manager and coworkers. Patient loads were realistic and always safe.
Nice place to work
Coding Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 29, 2014
The managment and co-workers were knowlegable, friendly and helpful. The patient and their families are the number one focus.
Pros
good benefits package
Cons
uncertain future of the organization
very educational and stayed up to date on medical terms
Nursing Assistant I & II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 25, 2014
typical day was helping patients that needed you..
all ways learning new skills / terminology
management was 50% available when you needed them.
having a patient that you have gotten to know and coming to work and they have expired.
Seeing the patient go home happy and not hurting.
Pros
had good programs for employees
Cons
sometime there was no way to take a brake and getting in trouble for it
Level II NICU
NICU nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 5, 2014
Worked briefly as a level II NICU nurse. Excellent training.
Fun slow paced pt centered care
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCApril 14, 2014
I had a great time working at OMH. The staff was so friendly and great teamwork. The hospital has a small town feel with patient centered care. I was able to really get to know my pts there.
Pros
small hospital
Cons
out-dated practices