Onslow Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Great people, great benfits
Guest Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, North CarolinaMarch 4, 2014
Worked under the Director of Guest Services. Enjoyed working in this position and was able to grow.
benefits
Cons
not able to move up
Enjoy providing care for the patients.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 2, 2014
When walking into a patient room for the first time and you can feel the concern and worries in the air with introductions you can put a patient at ease.
Pros
discount in the gift shop.
Finance Department is great
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 6, 2014
Amazing group of co-workers. Busy environment where there's always something to do. I was lucky to work with an amazing group of people who truly cared; I miss my job very much but I moved away.
OK place to work.
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 19, 2013
It was an okay job. Bad management but good pay. I liked my coworkers and working night shift but there was a lot of talking behind peoples back. Not a very professional workplace.
Fast paced office.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCDecember 2, 2013
I worked coding medical records and enjoyed that until I returned to college.
WORST HOSPITAL I EVER WORKED FOR
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCOctober 28, 2013
I was hired in February 2013 as a full-time CNA in L&D by the department head. I then had to "re-interview" with the new department head before my "start date." During the interview, the new department head mentioned that I was chosen over her relative that had applied for the job and that she was re-interviewing me to "make sure I was qualified." I then found out that she decided to change my status from full-time to part-time employee. The entire time that I worked there, the new department head (who made the schedule) would change my schedule at last minute, not approve my requested days off (even when I was using PTO), and gave me attitude the few times that she saw me. The RNs are extremely rude to the CNAs and SurgTechs. One physician from Crist Clinic would yell at laboring mothers and call them names. This particular physician also asked me if I was "retrded or something" during a delivery because I didn't write down something in the order she wanted it. I reported the physician, but nothing ever happened. Several of the RNs are racist. They were calling another CNA racial slurs, and I along with several others reported the incidences, yet nothing ever happened with that either. In June, the department head started screwing with my schedule really bad. She would have me in for 3 days when the schedule released, then change it to 0 days. So obviously if I wasn't on the schedule, I wouldn't go in. I was eventually fired in August 2013, only after coming into work for my scheduled day to find out that I had been fired 3 weeks prior (I wasn't on the schedule for 3 weeks  more... in a row, then I was put on the schedule for August 9th). I waited there for 2 hours before the department head showed up and then I was informed that I was fired because I "never showed up for work." She claimed she had me on the schedule for 2-3 days every week for the last 3 weeks and I never showed up (if I was scheduled, don't you think the charge nurse would have called to ask where I was?!). The department head said she mailed me a letter stating that I "voluntarily resigned," I said that I never received it, then she looked in a pile and said "oops, guess I didn't mail it. Here ya go." I filed for unemployment and she denied it. She told the unemployment office that I quit and therefore they would not approve my application. I recently had a job interview, and my interviewer told me that when they called Onslow to confirm my employment history, the department head told the interviewer that I was fired due to the fact that I was rude to patients and "dropped babies on numerous occasions." .  less
Cons
racist, low pay
Very pleasant and fun place to work.
HISTOLOGY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCSeptember 4, 2013
My experience working at Onslow Memorial Hospital was a gift.
I enjoyed working with the management and made a life long friend
that I worked with daily. The hardest part of my job was when my
temporary position ended. I learned that the pathologist's I
worked with are professional, of high quality work, and efficient
work ethics.
Productive great place to work an learn
HIM Outpatient Coding Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCAugust 29, 2013
Typical day would be to sign for daily emergency room records sent over then provide the money needed to close out the month to the coding supervisor. Then I would begin coding emergency room records. I also assisted the billing department if a patients had questions or concerns in regard to their bill and codes provided to the insurance company. My co-workers were great and willing to teach if there was a record that was unclear.
Pros
great place all round
Cons
there are no cons
Very fun atmosphere to work in.
AP Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 30, 2013
Very busy office. made the days go by fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was the coworkers and management.
Lead Cytotechnologist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 11, 2013
No micromanagement in my department, loved it.
Co-workers are great, fun and supportive

Want to know more about Onslow Memorial Hospital?

Ask a question
Good place to work as far as benefits, but did not give raises and staff worked short almost everyday.
RN, Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 25, 2013
Two stars would be my rating. Good benefits, often worked short on the floor, so I would say staff does not support employeees. They have a freeze on raises, so they often have a huge turnover.
Benefits are the best
RN BSN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 9, 2013
The best part about working at this hospital is the benefits, and your co-workers.
Better than being unemployed I guess
RN (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJune 4, 2013
I was a RN at OMH for about 6 months and I have to honestly say I loved my fellow nurses and other staff and we all worked together as a team. Management is the problem w/ that hospital!! OMH gets a bad reputation in this area as being incompatent but really that hosp has great staff they are just way to understaffed!! We would work w/ only 2 RN's per floor for 14 patients. That is just not quality or safe care. Mgmt continually promised to get us more help/PRN staff but that never happens. The nurses are worked to death for poor pay. Starting salary is only $20/hr!! ( I am now in a doctor's office making much more!!) I only received 6 weeks of training as a new nurse and the surrounding hospitals all offer 12 weeks so again another reason turn- over is so high!
Pros
great rn's, good benefits, flexible schedules
Cons
no breaks/lunches unless you are lucky, poor pay, way too understaffed
My peer are great!
Certified Nursing Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 23, 2013
My peers are great people to work with. They are all very hard working and they are very compassionate people. They love what they do, so going to work is always great.
Pros
my peers are great
Cons
it is hard to get in contact with supervior when needed. saffing is compermised, so it is hard to find coverage if you need a day off. the pay is not the best.
Everyday was interesting
Perioperative Transporter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 19, 2013
I was able to watch surgerys and hold preped limbs during it.
Cleaned the ORs and ran specimens.
Needs Improvement
Property Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 12, 2013
*Day is stressful, and there is no help.
*Learned how politics unfortunately works.
*Management is very poor.
*Some Co-workers are fun to work with.
*Hardest part of the job is having no help from you management staff.
*Most enjoyable part is when you get to go home.
A smile after the storm:
C.N.A. / Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMarch 5, 2013
Working in a small community hospitals, daily activites generally include vitals, daily living such as bathing and toileting I/O's and . critical care for telementry and imcu patients. The best part of my day is when there is pt. who is unable to do for themselves and a simple bath or nail polish brightens there day. I work 11p-7a and my coworkers and I have an understanding of teamwork and time profenicy along with pt awareness. I love my coworkers. The hardest part is when a pt expires. It hold heavy on our sholders but it is part of what we do.
Pros
execellent benifits
Cons
in a raise freeze
Was here for maternity clinical rotation
Assisted Nurse Midwives (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 4, 2013
Very great facility with wonderful knowledgeable nurses.
I ENJOY WORKING WITH PATIENTS AND MY FELLOW EMPLOYEES. I LOVE HELPING PEOPLE AND HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED WORKING IN THE MEDICAL FIELD
CLAIMS ANALYSIS (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJanuary 30, 2013
I HAVE GREAT CO-WORKERS AND FEEL THAT WE HAVE BECOME A STRONG GROUP OF TEAM PLAYERS. WE HAVE WORKED VERY HARD OVER THE LAST 6 MONTHS TO ACCOMPLISH A GOAL THAT WAS SET BY HOSPITAL ADMINISTATION. WE HELP EACH OTHER IN OUR DAY TO DAY JOB AND I FEEL THAT NOT ONLY HAVE WE DONE A GREAT JOB BUT THAT WE HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB FOR OUR PATIENTS.
Pros
heathcare insurance, 401k, vacation opportunity
Cons
not a lot of opportunity for growth