Open English

Open English Employee Reviews

Overall Good Directon
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLApril 27, 2016
Please be aware if you are not who you say you are on your resume you will not do well here. In the past Ive had people coming into my department claiming to be able to do things then needing tons of hand holding. I think a lot of the bad reviews are people that were fired for poor performance and it is hard to keep up with some of the demands but if you have the skill set you will be just fine. Ive seen the Marketing depart go from 3 people to 15 people its just amazing and of course along the way posers came and went. Just be ready when you apply for a position make sure you aren't fooling your self.
Pros
Free food & drinks, Great Pay, Benefits, Office
Cons
Senior Management a bit Junior, Message can change very quickly
Toxic and dog-eat-dog environment
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLFebruary 17, 2016
Open English is one of the worst places to work. There's no clear leadership from Management, they change their strategy on a daily basis. Upper Management has no consideration or respect for the employees. New employees receive no training - it's sink or swim. Good and hard-working employees are not valued. However, if you're in the good graces of any of the C-level executives, then you can keep your job and get promoted; even if you don't have a clue on how to do your job.
Pros
Casual dress code, good health insurance
Cons
Low pay, long work hours, high employee turnover

Comment – May 24, 2016

To Intrigued Jobseekers, I have been the head of Human Resources for Open English since March 2015. In my career, I’ve worked in HR for a variety of industries for the past 10 years, mostly in the non-profit sector. When I made the decision to transition into the for-profit world, I knew I wanted to join a mission-based company. I was extremely selective in my job search when I arrived in Miami almost two years ago and I joined OE because of the Executive team. Their vision for what Open English has become and will be in the next few years is inspiring. The fact that we provide an affordable online platform for adults in emerging markets to learn English is life changing for them. I took on running our Human Resources function because I could see the Leadership’s genuine interest in investing in top talent and putting into place best-in-class, progressive employment policies and practices. We’ve implemented an open paid time off policy, added a 401k match, and paid maternity/paternity leave to name a few. We host many employee events through our Social Committee. We continuously invest in benefits to offer the best at no incremental cost to employees. We have always provided outside learning opportunities for top performers but this year are launching a formal professional development program as well as a formal employee recognition program. In 2015, our voluntary turnover rate in HQ was 5.7%. Total turnover rate was 13.3% if you include the folks who were dismissed for low performance. The HR industry standard that companies, regardless of industry, aim for is around 10%  more... turnover. Business needs change and low performers are inevitable due to personal reasons, culture fit, and disconnect on skill level needed.

OE is a high performance organization and as a late-stage startup it is a very fast-paced and exhilarating work environment. Naturally this is not a place where everyone can thrive, but we ensure candidates meet with as many people as possible during the interview process to ensure a mutual culture fit. Since I have been with the company we have been hiring the best Miami has to offer. The Leadership team does a great job of recognizing those who go above and beyond with public praise and spot bonuses based on project outcomes. We provide annual salary increases for both cost of living and performance. Individuals have been promoted 2-3 times in a two year period including Executives, corporate office staff, remotely-based support staff into office-based roles, and temps/contractors to employee status. A major milestone in 2015 was the significant investment made to convert our US-based teachers from contractors to employees. This investment in them and the business enables us to provide a better service and quality for the students.

My hope is that this gives you a clearer picture about what it is like at OE in 2016. Read the very REAL reviews of employees who have been hired since I started who are all doing very well, and note that the negative reviews that do appear further back on the timeline are no longer accurate and while they were very real to those who wrote them, they are overshadowed by the committed and growing staff we have today. Come meet with us and find out for yourself. If you are passionate, intelligent, and hard-working you will find success here. OE is a very special place to work. It’s a place where you can be a part of a collaborative effort to grow a multi-million dollar global business. You can be yourself, be comfortable, and contribute and execute on your ideas.

If you have any doubts or have questions from what you read here or elsewhere, I invite you to call my office (1-786-671-7879).

Good luck in your job search,
Michael Teichberg
HR Business Partne

Young dynamic stimulating environment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 16, 2015
Probably one of the best start-up companies to work for in South Florida.
Very creative, dynamic, hard-working, results-driven, yet casual and family-like culture. Great, modern, open-concept office and multitude of monthly social events, stimulating team-building, family environment and a sense of belonging.
With new leadership and HR management the company is working to be best-in-class employer with great benefits and perks - flexible hours, excellent BCBS health insurance plans almost completely covered by the employer, Unlimited Paid Time Off (!), matched 401K, complimentary snacks and beverages (incl. wine and beer), regular catered events onsite and offsite.
Management is very open, approachable and down-to-earth. Encourages professional growth and promoting/hiring from within. Going above-and-beyond doesn't go unnoticed.
Pros
Everything above
Cons
Management can develope their employees a little better, sink or swim mentality, works for those who are good at what they do
Great Company to Work For
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLDecember 8, 2015
I really enjoyed working with OpenEnglish. At one time, the compensation was great, the schedule was very flexible, the students were amazing, and the attention given to teachers was wonderful. It was also a very friendly online workplace. Teachers often collaborated with each other, offering tips, tricks, and practical solutions to our unique online teaching problems.
The company offered a lot of free training and very practical feedback.

Unfortunately, once they switched over to a new platform, this caused many issues with both the students and the teachers. This eventually caused OpenEnglish to be a very difficult company to work with.

I sincerely hope they are able to work through these issues so that they can once again be the company they once were.
Pros
Flexible schedule, students and curriculum provided, training provided, easy teaching platform, individual attention to teachers, collaborative environment
Cons
Current platform is very unstable
Worst place I've ever worked
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLApril 21, 2015
The management team tends to make decisions based entirely on gut feeling rather than any sort of data. This results in a lot of wasted time/effort as direction changes with the wind. They also do NOT care about how effective their program is - they have no on-staff expertise in language learning, or learning in general, and they dont care. They do not seem to value their employees as human beings, making hiring and firing decisions on a whim. The company suffers from extremely high turn-over at all levels in the organization - this could be a perk - if you are a survivor, rapid promotion is possible. The company's use of contractors as employees is probably illegal (but Im not an expert in employment law).
Pros
nice office space, opportunities for advancement if you dont get fired.
Cons
high turnover, inappropriately decisive management, company doesn't care about the product or customer

Comment – May 24, 2016

Good luck in your job search,
Michael Teichberg
HR Business Partne

Flexible, fun working conditions (personal computer)
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Part-time working as an online instruction for students desiring to learn English

Management provided constant yet productive feedback and encouragement to hone abilities as an instructor

Reserving available virtual class room times due to shortage of hours and number of instructors was the most challenging part of the job

Working with the students from various countries and listening to them progress. Interacting with the faculty members was also enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible working hours, monitoring student progress
Cons
Finding available working hours, low pay
was nice at 1 time
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLApril 2, 2014
new formats have too many technical issues New management concerned only about efficiency numbers not about students or teachers
Pros
open schedules
Cons
short breaks declining hours
Sad and Disillusioned
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FloridaMarch 30, 2014
I once would have given this company all 5 stars. However, now it has become a war zone watching the CEO and other upper management verbally abuse my former co-workers. Threats and changing rules are daily.

It has become such a horrid place to work.

I love my co-workers but to see once happy hopeful people now sad and bitter, makes me very sad.
Pros
We once had flexible schedules and happy work enviroments
Cons
Upper management that does not care for the teachers. Poor work environment.
Interesting job.
Remote Adviser (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 27, 2014
I worked 8 hours per day. I got the chance to meet a lot of people from different parts of the world. Most people were friendly and grateful to have an Adviser with them during their learning process. The best part of the job was to see how through my advice, students reached their goals.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Cannot think of any.
Productive and enjoyable job
Student Resources Administrator/Advisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 25, 2014
A typical day at work would be turning on the computer in the morning, read the list of income e-mails and start answering them right away in order to have a prompt response. Check on a list of students that are to be called and follow up with their performance and progress. Reach out to them throughout the day, until all of them in the list, is being spoken and contacted. I learned every day a new experience in dealing and handling different kind of situation and issues. My co-workers are very reliable and always willing to cooperate and help any time I need them. The hardest part of the job is when the system is out and I can't reach the students, so the flow of work has to be interrupted while the problem is been solved. The most enjoyable part of the job, is that I am able to communicate in English, Portuguese and Spanish all over the world and also able to help solve the student doubts and problems, and receiving a great feedback from them with gratitude.
Pros
Able to work from home, remotely
Cons
Independent Contractor
Fun and supportive online education company
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  online = anywhere!August 13, 2013
Very well organized and supportive online teaching company.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
no set schedule
Favorite Job EVER
ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, New YorkOctober 20, 2012
I can't thing of a single reason why I don't love working for Open English! I would work there the rest of my life if I can.
Pros
great coworkers, work from home, very flexible, a great opportunity to meet new people
Teach English Online
Teacher (Current Employee) –  MexicoSeptember 13, 2012
Open English is the only job I have ever LOVED! It has a fabulous culture. I am grateful everyday to work in such a positive community. Our students are self-motivated and the resources we have are awesome. The hiring process is a little exacting, but that ensures that only the very best candidates get through. I learn something everyday. I feel much more a part of a community here than I ever did working with coworkers in a physical building. The organization structure is flat, and the organization is always asking for teacher ideas and input. I love feeling like my voice is heard.
I love this company!
Contracted ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  AnywhereJune 5, 2012
The Staff is very open and teamwork is a priority. Every day is a new chance to help Spanish speaking adults move ahead in life through English learning.
Trabajo muy divertido
Academic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeJuly 26, 2016
Te conectas con personas de muchos lugares y aprendes de ellos y sus culturas.
Pros
horario, sueldo
Cons
no te garantizan estabilidad laboral