Open Society Foundations

Open Society Foundations Employee Reviews

Endless strategy discussions
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 7, 2015
New leadership, shifting values, and realignment of programs seems to have turned the organization upside down. Lots of time spent debating strategy with little to show for it. Here's to hoping the chaos ends soon.
Great work environment
Western Balkans Temporary Program Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Pros: very kind, helpful and knowledgeable co-workers, and they provide lunch!
I learned how civil society develops from the inside of a very successful organization. A typical day at work involved me keeping an eye on local news that could affect our national foundations as well as the people located within those nations, I would translate Albanian news articles into English. My daily tasks also included corresponding via e-mail and phone, with our national foundations as well as the general public, answering and forwarding any questions. I also learned about the process of grant making and grants management and was able to witness how local people have been able to change their homes and move toward an open society.
Google of Non Profits
NetSuite Business/Systems Analyst (Current Employee), New YorkOctober 2, 2014
Pros: work environment
Cons: lack of priorities, no team morale
OSF is indeed creative and innovative. Utilizing cloud-based tools the organization is off to a great start. A bit more organization with daily tasks would be best however things take time.
Great place to work!
Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 9, 2014
Excellent HR team, very caring and motivating
Important mission to be apart of
Great leadership
A unique and stimulating workplace where staff is allowed to gain invaluable experience and knowledge
Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 19, 2013
Pros: free lunches, a collection of brilliant, capable and passionate professioanls
Cons: demanding workload and work schedule, limited mobility
OSF is a unique and amazing organization. Staff members are highly committed and passionate individuals for whom this is not simply a job, it's a life philosophy. Work is never boring - from grantmaking, to program design and management. While there are limited opportunities and internal mobility, it is a flexible organization that allows staff to go beyond their formal responsibilities and gain invaluable experience and knowledge.