Oportun Employee Reviews

Great part time job
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 21, 2017
A typical day would be interacting with clients with starting a loan application, scan needed documents if pre approved, send app to back office team, and explain loan terms to clients. Majority of clients Hispanic so being bilingual is NEEDED to perform job. My manager works with my school schedule and provides employees with personal time off when requested in advance. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of being able to help a customer during their time of need and how fast it is to obtain a credit building loan with little or no credit.
Pros
Incentive bonus
Cons
During down time, we must outreach for potential new customers
Poor management, commision & pay
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  TxNovember 22, 2016
This is a dead end job😝 you start off part time after a while you can be a full time employee. But they lower your pay and the demand for loans is really high the commission pay suks. There is no opportunity to grow within the company you can be a CSR for 4 yrs with no pay raises or move up in the company. so if your looking for a long term career with pay raises and awesome commission pay, this isn't the job for you!
Pros
Employees were vey helpful
Cons
Poor management
Productive and Fun Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAFebruary 3, 2017
Clerical, Filing, Customer Service on the daily.
Processing loans and accepting payments from customers. Maintain customer records.
Marketing and Outreach: organize, attend and participate in special events/promotions.
Great Place to work
Legal Collections Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 26, 2016
I love working at Oportun. It has a great environment and culture. There's plenty of advancement opportunities. Management is great and very helpful. They make you feel right at home once you start.
Great Benefits, poor management
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 26, 2017
Good benefits but the management could use some help. There's no opportunity for advancement, this job is like a temporary job.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, no pto
Oportun is an excellent and great place to work at.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Delano, CANovember 21, 2016
A typical day at work is doing application for customer who come in interested in a loan. Its an a great place to work for and you gain a lot of experience.
working in a regular day as an Account Executive
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2016
A typical day as an executive account in Oportun was first, we needed to open the store on time, then we must get into the ADP to sign up and then we started to call our costumers that need information to complete their application or pick up their loan. Also, we had to get our list of prospective costumers to call if they needed a loan. My team and I were committed to have a goal so we worked the first two weeks hard in order to have our goals on time. One of the hardest part of the job would be when our internet was down and we have so many costumer in line to assist. The most enjoyable part of the job was smiling and pay attention to my costumers most of them would bring me back new costumers.
Pros
The salary and the flexible time.
Cons
I do not have no choice in my locations
Temporary Seasonal Worker
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAAugust 3, 2016
I despised the pressure of the long lines for the payments and added to that the system Kronos how it was built to measure every minute of whether you were late or missed a punch. It was a big burden to start the date with that and end it as well when closing the store. However what I despised the most is that I worked as a Seasonal and never got the chance to be hired permanently no matter how hard I tried and as soon season was off they hired new people. If you couldn't afford seasonal because of 'budget' why onboard new hires ? At least get your facts straight, or just say whether you stay or not.Another thing a disadvantage was the training that took 3 days instead it should be longer, the employee is dealing with money it should be at least a week. Money is serious stuff especially when signing a contract.
Pros
Close to my vicinity
Cons
Unfair Hiring Outcome
Goals & compensation ; Helps out community
Customer Loyalty Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 16, 2016
I love working for Oportun , I've worked there for a year now and I am always glad to help out any one who needs a loan. I have a lot of patients and my co-workers are awesome! The management is hard to reach and gives you simple answers. Costumers can be complicated, but it is my job to make sure they leave happy!
Pros
Compensation, fun enviroment
Cons
the hours suck!
Very productive place to work at
Customer Loyalty Rep (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAApril 6, 2016
I enjoyed meeting new customers every other day. I also enjoyed inputting the customer information and taking payments daily. I enjoyed the goals the managers would set on us. I loved my coworkers, they were the best team and we al worked together to achieve our goals when gthe goal was set for the whole store. The hardest part of the rjob would have to be making sure our customers would not want to leave if the customer call center had gotten them mad befre coming in. I enjoyed the marketing of the store.
Pros
i was being paid 13.00 and the benefits were the best! Meeting new customers!
Cons
If it was slow there would be about nothing to do but clean.
It is a very good customer service job
Bilingual Customer Loyalty Representative (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 30, 2016
During the day you achieve individual and team goals
You have to work in a fast-paced environment
Spanish Teaching experience
You use your administrative experience
Y addition you apply: Customer Service, Cash handling experience and the goal to sell products and services
Pros
good starting salary
Cons
no healthcare, no full time
Fun work place and healthy enviroment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAMarch 3, 2016
There is no typical day at work, every day is different due to the fact that we do not have control over how many clients will come apply for our service, Personal loans. Coworkers are always aware of any issues within the day and very professional.
The hardest part of my job is to tell customers they did not get approved for the loan, and the most enjoyable part is handling the customer the check loan.
DSM is always there for us, I see her as a leader not a manager.
Pros
flexible schedules, healthcare, Paid time off.
Cons
work weekends
very active, friendly environment
FIELD COLLECTOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 31, 2016
Provided high levels of customer service for new and existing customers
Opened new customer accounts and closed existing accounts per customer request
Referred customers to appropriate financial services and products in response to personal needs
Handled routine financial transactions such as deposits, withdrawals, advances, loan payments, check cashing and balanced these transactions daily while ensuring a positive interaction with customers
Performed data entry services regarding customer’s accounts and transactions
Consistently met monthly bank goals in acquiring new customers and accounts
Adhered to all bank security, audit, and compliance requirements
Performed daily opening and closing procedures within the banking center
Promoted three times and awarded Employee of the Month six times during career
Enjoy working there, friendly co-workers
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 2, 2016
A typical day at work were busy, which I love because my day went fast. The most enjoyable part of the job was to be able to help the customers with their need.
Productive and life changing
Sales Associate / Customer Loyalty Representative (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 29, 2016
Handling customer service and building relationships with clients.
Making courtesy calls to customer regarding payments and renewals.
Generating leads and making phone calls to bring customer in.
Experience in training new employees
Tracking numbers and making daily, weekly and monthly goals and reports.
Helping clients better their lives .
Pros
benefits, easy job, clients are great
Cons
Short breaks, not enough hours
Great company to work for
Store Lead/Customer Loyalty Representative (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMarch 28, 2016
Oportun is a small finance company, servicing the under priveledged community with their credit and personal loans.

I enjoy working for this company but am looking for a change and more opportunity.
Good mission
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMay 4, 2016
The company has a great mission, in general is a good place to work. The perks are very limited and the salaries are not really competitive if you are not at least at the Director level.
Productive workplace
Costumer Loyalty Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Cash checks and pay out money after verifying that signatures are correct, that written and numerical amounts agree, and that accounts have sufficient funds. See more occupations related to this task.
Receive checks and cash for deposit, verify amounts, and check accuracy of deposit slips. See more occupations related to this task.
Enter customers' transactions into computers to record transactions and issue computer-generated receipts. See more occupations related to this task.
Balance currency, coin, and checks in cash drawers at ends of shifts and calculate daily transactions, using computers, calculators, or adding machines. See more occupations related to this task.
Examine checks for endorsements and to verify other information, such as dates, bank names, identification of the persons receiving payments, and the legality of the documents.
CLR I (current employee ) Texas
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 5, 2017
Joined Team excited to help the community along with expecting room for advancements as an employee. Grear start however management pushes for outside marketing on a daily bases. Expecting employees to go out and market on their personal vehicles with out funding them for gas, mileage, wear n tear. On employee got his windshield shatter while being out marketing and the company did nothing for him. He paid 300 out of pocket to replace it.
We work under management threats! Constantly threating all employees saying we're expendable and there is a line out the door for someone to take our job. Looks at add cameras constantly wanting to know how long were taking in the restroom. If he sees no movement in the store called Yelling at agent demanding them to stand outside of the building. Respective priority to everyone so we really expect the same back. I'll put in place good has good benefits 401K but management is really bad threats are horrible and employees are felt under-appreciated constantly. Do not recommend this job for anybody. The only reason I am still here with them is because I haven't found another job yet and my rent needa to be pd!

Full time is 74 hrs no more than that!! Spread out 7 days a week!
30 minute lunch only no breaks in between!
Work all holidays only Christmas n New Years off!!
Only employees at central office in California eligible for other days off.
Benefits
Cons
Management, threats on and off the clock! Constant marketing on personal vehicles with no $$ for gas or mileage.
Fun place to work
CUSTERMER LOYALTY REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CADecember 30, 2015
Its a great job to have but management is bad. Depending on your supervisor their are great supervisors unfortunately mines does what she wants and wants it her way instead of meets and helping her workers
Pros
CO-WOKERS ARE HELPFUL
Cons
SHORT AMOUNT OF WORKING HOURS

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oportun. Our community is ready to answer.