Opportunity Enterprises

Opportunity Enterprises Employer Reviews

na
Direct support professional (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 29, 2014
nothing

Assistive Technology - Participants get hands-on experience with current technology and computer programs.
Traditional hardware and software, track ball mice and hands-free computer operation systems are all included.
The program also provides training and assessment for basic typing skills, Internet usage, Microsoft Office
Suite, voice recognition – more... and Quicken.
Community Integration - Participants are invited to explore volunteer and recreational activities within the
community under the supervision of a staff member. Our trained instructors work on skills, including parking
lot and vehicle safety, appropriate social and public interactions, following directions while volunteering to help
others, and many more.
Relaxation - Instructors works one-on-one with participants in an effort to teach them stress reduction
techniques and to help improve physical mobility.
Supported Living:
Through Supported Living, participants can live on their own and have staff interaction only 5 hours per week,
or four participants can share an apartment and have 24-hour staff supervision. Activities during the week may
include going to one of Opportunity Enterprises’ Daily Programs or participating in our JobSource program.
Our staff also aids the participants in reaching daily goals, including health and safety, household and money
management skills, recreation and leisure, social and daily living skills. – less
A Great place to work for.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: spiritually rewarding.
Cons: clients families can at times be very challenging.
A Spiritually Rewarding place to work.
Great Staff and Director/Supervisor/QMDD team!

Some clients FAMILIES can be VERY challenging.
You work for the company, and the families sometime seem to think you work for them.

Always bring your concern to your Supervisor. They will be behind you all the way!

I would love to go back and work for O.E. at the – more... drop of a hat! I enjoyed it so very much. – less
Great opportunity to serve the MR/DD population
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the individuals and co workers
Cons: overworked, underpaid
It was a very rewarding job in terms of helping those in the MR/DD population. It was good to be able to help this population function in the community. The agency is very passionate about serving and making a better quality of life for the individuals.
Love the job
Direct S (Current Employee), Valparaiso INDecember 24, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Resposible for teaching and living modeling appropriate social and interperonal behaviors to the individual.Maintain and submit necessary all.
Rewarding job working with clients. Very nice staff.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Auburn, MEOctober 16, 2013
Pros: meeting new people and discovering new opportunities in the community.
Cons: high health care costs
I worked 40 hours a week with clients that had various types of disabilities. I learned other skills then I had in previous jobs. The DSP staff were very nice and helpful.
Opportunity to work with amazing people!
Direct Support Professional/Trainer (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INOctober 4, 2013
Pros: free hugs, free meals from a church on thursdays!
Cons: i unfortunately do not get paid enough to support myself.
A typical work day can get a little hectic. But once you get the hang of it, it's so much fun! It's rare to hear people say they love their jobs, but everyone who works at Opportunity Enterprises really do. I learned to be extremely patient while working here. And everyone really does have their own story. We just inherited a new CEO. So we're still – more... transitioning our new positions. My co-workers are easy to get along with since they also love what they do. The hardest part of my job is the everyday thought of possibly losing a consumer. The passing of a life is difficult. The most enjoyable part is making my consumers smile even when they do not want to. – less
Fun and Low stress
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 23, 2013
Learned much in a generalist role. They really pushed job enrichment and are supportive of their employees. my co-workers were all helpful and supportive and they made everything really easy to learn.
Very rewarding work.
Crew Leader (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 1, 2013
Pros: very fulfilling work.
Cons: at times was overwhelming.
By working at Opportunity Enterprises, I experienced working with people with different disabilities for the first time. I was given the opportunity to aid in them being productive members of society. I also learned patience and how to manage my time well.
Amazing place to work.
Behavior Therapy Assistant (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INMarch 30, 2013
Going to work each day was a joy. I knew that I was making a difference in the lives of the individuals that I worked with and at the end of the day, I left there with the most indescribable feling.
Very rewarding job; know you are making a difference in someone's life.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: feeling of accomplishment; internal promotion capabilities, training programs
Cons: pay and health care is not affordable.
This place landed in my lap unexpectedly. Wasn't looking for a job but was drawn in by a message they had on a sign outside of the building while driving by one afternoon. That day changed my life. I was introduced to an environment I would have never sought out independently. Great clients, great peers to work with and love working for a company who – more... supports individuals with special needs to lead productive, independent lives. Type of care needed varied from person to person, but the compassion and hard work given to these individuals was appreciated by all involved. Met many great families, peers and clients who I continue to interact with today. This is not just a job; more of a lfie changing experience. One that makes you a better person. Love my job! – less
Productive and fun place to work.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INDecember 17, 2012
Flexible schedule is a plus. Managment is concerned and caring of all involved to ensure harmony.
Most fun I've had at work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INNovember 16, 2012
I loved working at OE. The clients make your day. I encouraged them to use gross and fine motor skills and assisted with behaviors.
Midwest Center for Youth and families is a more keep on your toes kind of job. Troubled children are at times difficult to care for.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INNovember 1, 2012
Before you walk in the door you have to clear your head because you never know what your day is going to be like. My co-workers and I always had each others back because it is a very stressful job. The hardest part about this job was getting through to the kids about life and they can and will be okay if they use certain coping skills. The most enjoyable – more... part about this job was when they did listen to you and you relate to them and they knew it so they looked upto you. – less
Great place to work.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great team work.
Cons: low pay
On a daily basis I would care for those with special needs in their homes. I was responsible for feeding, bathing, transfering, giving medications, cooking, cleaning, taking blood pressure, handling cash and paperwork.
Great place to begin a career
Person Centered Planning Specialist (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 30, 2011
Pros: don't need degree to advance, values experience
Cons: multiple duties w/out pay increase, agency culture--gossip
An organization that truly cares about the people it serves. Great potential for internal advancement. Company considers hands-on experiences as important as formal education.

About Opportunity Enterprises

Opened in 1967, Opportunity Enterprises is a non-profit organization that strives to help individuals with developmental disabilities – Read more