Opportunity Enterprises Employee Reviews

Oe
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 30, 2016
OE is ok when it come to hours available but, the pay is not great. The company does what it can but should improve wages. Communication among all group homes, the main office, and Lakeside should increase. Sometimes things do not get communicated very well and things get missed. The supervisor I work with is one of the best ones I have come a crossed. The staff is pretty good as well.
Pros
manager, staff
Cons
pay, communication, benefits are too expensive
Opportunity enterprises
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INDecember 1, 2016
The lack of communication in this company is unbelievable. Management will say one thing and do another. I've seen clients homes a complete mess over and over again without consequence. Fridges filled with moldy food, soiled laundry sitting in baskets for hours on end. Clients maintenance requests pushed off for weeks even months.. mold on a ceiling, broken washer and dryers. One week I spent 2 whole shifts at the laundry mat just because my upper aboves "forgot". Clients getting MRSA but isnt taken to a doctor for days. Management not informing DSP'S of MRSA so they can take proper precautions. This company has good intentions but once you're inside you realize it's a joke. I would recommend not working here. The job is not worth $9 an hour.
Pros
Clients are amazing.
Love
DIrect Support Professional (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 28, 2016
OE was an exceptional place to work when it comes to working with the clients. It was always challenging and always tiresome but always rewarding.The pay was low, and management was ridiculous to deal with.. but i would do it again to gain my clients back. I quit with a three month notice and ended up quitting just 3 days prior to my original notice and lost the vacation hours i had accumulated which wouldve been a payout of $450. I was furious. Also, no matter which house you work in, there always seems to be drama like 30 something year olds are in high school. really annoying
Pros
The clients
Cons
Management and drama between staff
Fulfilling and Rewarding
Direct Support Professional, Line Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INNovember 7, 2016
I thouroughly enjoy working with the clients at Opportunity Enterprises however it can be a challeging at the same time. Upper management seems to have a disconnect with the rest of their employees.
Pros
Great work schedule. Mon-Fri. Weekends and holidays off
Cons
Hard work for low pay
Fun place to work, loved the overall atmosphere
Expert (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 13, 2015
I would help individual with disabilities, with a nuber of different things throughtout the day. I wore many hats, I billed on clients using OASIS, and I documented in Medical Records, I passed meds, I assisted with seizures, and personal care. I assisted with feeding, I did a lot of heavy lifting, I assisted with behaviors. I am certified in first aid, CPR, OSHA, CPI. I know about dysphagia, and numerous other things I've learned from this job. I is a great place to work, you get a lot of support from co-workers, and they treat you like family.
Pros
PTO, Sick time
Cons
Low pay, no annual raises.
O>e
Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INNovember 4, 2016
It was a nice place to work if you fine with working crazy hours. Many of the employees would not show up for their shifts and I would get stuck doing doubles all the time.
Fun and rewarding workplace
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 22, 2016
A typical day at work is very hectic and challenging but also very rewarding. Dealing with behaviors and crazy work orders we work as a team to get the job done.
Most rewarding career I've ever had
N/A (Current Employee) –  ValparaisoFebruary 17, 2015
Opportunity Enterprises is hands down the greatest job I've held. I've worked here for just over a year, and I can't imagine a more encouraging work environment or a better crew of co-workers. Although there have definitely been some significant changes in the past year, they were all made in order to better the company and make sure that we are furthering the mission to maximize the self-sufficiency and enrich the quality of life for individuals with disabilities.

As with any job, there are always struggles and hard days, but I promise, working for the people we serve makes that all WELL worth it!
Pros
Great benefits, 401k, flex time
Great experience and something different for me in healthecare
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 1, 2016
Would come in to do transport, get personal and hygiene care and medical care handled, prepare dinner, assist guys with eating and getting into bed or using the bathroom.
Awesome place to work hands down!!
Lead DSP/ trainer (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 24, 2014
I have never loved a job as much as I do now. I wake up every day excited to be able to be with my participants, which have become my second family. There is nothing better than the love that you recieve from them!! I also love that I am able to help the new DSPs to learn thier job better, and to grow in thier possition. I have learned so much from this job that I am most certainly not the same person that I was when I started. I also appreciate the support that I recieve from my supervisors, director, and admin team. The support team trully cares about the staff, and it shows. I can definitely see a long carrer with this company. Yes, this job can be stressful at times, but the wonderful times outway the stress, and make it bearable. If you are looking for a company that cares about you, then this is the company for you. I appreciate the great benifits as well.
Pros
getting to be around the participants all day!!
Rewarding
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 1, 2016
The work you do is very rewarding. You create relationships with the client's that are priceless. I loved seeing them every day. The management is bad. Really bad. There is a lot of favoritism. Other than that it is a good place to work.
enjoy work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 15, 2016
Very flexible work space. There are many clients who enjoy being a part of the company. There are a lot of great people employed by the company. Being a nonprofit organization prevents chances for competitive salaries.
Oe
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 4, 2016
This was a very rewarding and great job! I enjoyed going to work everyday and looked forward to seeing all the individuals smile!
Great place to work and make a difference!
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 10, 2014
I have worked for OE for over 12 years and have been through many challenges and changes but have grown both personally and professionally throughout the process. It is great to wake up and come to work for a place where you know you are valued and you make a difference in someones life everyday.
Pros
Personal and Professional Growth Opportunities, Employee Benefits
Amazing place to make a difference
Admin (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 14, 2014
The people at Opportunity Enterprises are amazing. I enjoy everyday because of the people I serve as well as the people that I work with each day. The open door policy and "ready to help" attitude helps me know that everyone at the organization is one team working together.
Pros
Great team, good benefits, growth opportunities
They are doing great wok with the handicap
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 30, 2016
I enjoyed working for them but found working with the handicap was very challenging. I enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Pros
Driveing and the hours
Cons
difficult working with the handicap
Opportunity enterprises
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MEMarch 3, 2016
I loved working with my consumers, however, the management of this company I did not trust when it came to making good judgement calls on the consumers or employees.
Productive and safe work emvirment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 15, 2016
The day stared with administering medications to clients and documentation of medications given. I learned to respect those in need and appreciate their company. Management was reasonable and worked in meting every employees needs.
Very rewarding job; know you are making a difference in someone's life.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 22, 2013
This place landed in my lap unexpectedly. Wasn't looking for a job but was drawn in by a message they had on a sign outside of the building while driving by one afternoon. That day changed my life. I was introduced to an environment I would have never sought out independently. Great clients, great peers to work with and love working for a company who supports individuals with special needs to lead productive, independent lives. Type of care needed varied from person to person, but the compassion and hard work given to these individuals was appreciated by all involved. Met many great families, peers and clients who I continue to interact with today. This is not just a job; more of a lfie changing experience. One that makes you a better person. Love my job!
Pros
feeling of accomplishment; internal promotion capabilities, training programs
Cons
pay and health care is not affordable.
Dsp
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 8, 2014
The other reviews were pretty spot on. It is indeed, a great place to work ,but there is just too much liability. The management was absurd. It was because of poor training and poor management that I did not work there as long as I intended. Co-workers were nice to your face, but you never know what is said when you aren't there. They most likely will be out to get you if they don't like you. But none of that matters anyways because your job is to be there for your participants. And in the end if you have a great relationship with your participant then you will do just fine. Just make sure you dot your I's and cross your T's because one mistake can change your life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opportunity Enterprises. Our community is ready to answer.

Opportunity Enterprises Reviews by Location