Opportunity Enterprises Employee Reviews

Horrible place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Porter and Lack CountyOctober 30, 2017
Not a good place to work. Management is non-degreed and lacks professionalism, they don't respect staff, when I was there they were all friends. The pay is horrible, and the benefits for DPS are horrible also. In Respite I enjoyed working with the client's some of them were high functioning and wated to be left alone to do there own thing. When that happens you are supposed to clean the house. And while some staff was lazy so was management.
Pros
Easy Money
Not a good place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Northwest INOctober 26, 2017
Not a good place to work very cut throat. The managers lack professional experience they are all friends and have there picks that they cater to. The Respite house is dirty not keept clean at all. I can say that in Respite it was easy money 90% of the time.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
No breaks
Great organization and people
not provided (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MESeptember 19, 2017
Great organization and non profit very family oriented. Due to nature of the organization there is not much advancement or compensation available. But they are amazing to work for.
Pros
flexible schedules and time off great people and mission
Cons
not much advancement or compensation
Hard Work
DSP Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 14, 2017
It was an ok place to work. I was hard work, for not much pay but the clients were great and fun to work with. I enjoyed my co workers and the activities we had but that is all.
Not good place to work
Group Home Manager (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INSeptember 4, 2017
Loved the clients. Under paid over worked. Not enough staff. Turnover rate is ridiculous. No time for family because no one in upper management will help out.
Pros
Great experience, fun, the clients
Cons
upper managment, lack of experienced managment, favoritism
Horrible Management, Wonderful Clients
House Lead Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 31, 2017
I worked at OE for a little over three years. I moved up the ranks and advanced into semi-management. The big bosses (House Managers and above) are all there for the wrong reasons. It was more about money to them than actual client safety. There was no accountability to any of the staff. One time, I had a staff tell me it wasn't his job to clean because he didn't get paid enough. "If they want me to clean, they will have to pay me $13 an hour." It was appalling. Then he was promoted!

The mission and vision of this company are phenomenal! The people who work there (for the most part) are not following any part of the mission or the vision.

All in all, this company has the potential to be the best provider in the entire world. They just need to clean house and start holding staff accountable for their actions. Easier said than done!
Pros
Clients!
Cons
Horrible Management!
Beware of backlash if you put in for a position in a different department and dont get it!
Not sharing (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INAugust 28, 2017
Great company, great mission statement, great job doing their best for the clients. All employees are expendable.
Poor communication between departments.
People will step on you to make themselves look better.
Pros
The clients are great!
Cons
Pay, raises, communication
lowest paid DSP's in state
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 14, 2017
minimum pay raises, HR is a mess who only looks out for friends and who can benefit them. Most staff only stay because of the clients. Policies are not followed and adjusted to what management can benefit from.
Pros
clients
Cons
pay, work conditions, management
Good entry level position depending what your goals are
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 5, 2017
Great place to work if you want to make a difference with the special need community. Communication that is consistent among all employees strongly needs to be improved.
Amazing place to work for!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 30, 2017
Since they are a non-profit, the pay is not the best. However, what you gain everyday from the job itself makes up for it. You actually look forward to work and leave knowing you are making a difference and changing lives.
Wonderful to work with the clients
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 5, 2017
The job is great, working with the clients was absolutely amazing. I learned a lot about adults with special needs and earned certifications that I can carry on for my lifetime.
There were issues with management that did complicate simple day-to-day activities--a real lack of communication was the biggest issue.
Overall, however, it is like a big family. The hardest part of the job is only being able to help so much--in cases of neglect or suspected abuse it's hard not to feel helpless.
The relationships I built with clients was by far the best part of the job, and the part I miss most.
Amazing
Agency Training Director (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 13, 2017
It truly makes a difference. It teaches staff more about themselves on a daily basis. It is an amazing place to be at and work for. A person can impact lives while simultaneously improving oneself
OE- a pretty great place to work...
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 3, 2017
... as long as you're single with no kids. This place is awesome, the clients we serve are some of the most amazing people you could ever hope to meet! However, if you have a life outside of work, you can forget a lot of it. The biggest issue would be resolved with more workers. They are understaffed. But they are continuously trying to find good workers. If you can hang in there through the rough times, the good times are just great. The Respite department has changed a lot since it's conception. I don't think the creator would recognize it. Most of the workers are hoping it retains SOME of it's integrity, because it was once a wonderful place that Clients really wanted to come to. Hopefully, it will be again!

Overall great place to work.
Pros
Reimbursement for gas used while clients are in the car, reimbursed meals.
Amazing opportunity to support others
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Bath, MEMarch 31, 2017
Opportunity Enterprises in Bath has a wonderful team and the Manager is responsible and caring. The work is rewarding because there is no better pay than seeing someone be successful.The clients are fun and it's great to be in the community everyday!
Pros
Amazing team work, paid holidays, fun job
Not enough pay.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Bath, MEMarch 30, 2017
The base pay is $10, and staff are expected to use their own car to transport consumers. The pay grade is not enough to support that. Increasing pay to staff would help.
A lot of opportunities but challenging company to work for.
Warehouse Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMarch 15, 2017
The work culture at OE is tight knit and seems difficult to pierce unless you are already related to, or family friends with, its managers and directors.
Pros
Lots of challenges
Cons
Superiors with no education who serve their egos instead of the task at hand or the clients.
Awful
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 11, 2017
They want you to work constantly and your family means little to nothing to the company. The management acts like highschoolers and your concerns go unheard. Awful company to work for.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Your needs/health don't matter, immature staffing
Love
DIrect Support Professional (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 28, 2016
OE was an exceptional place to work when it comes to working with the clients. It was always challenging and always tiresome but always rewarding.The pay was low, and management was ridiculous to deal with.. but i would do it again to gain my clients back. I quit with a three month notice and ended up quitting just 3 days prior to my original notice and lost the vacation hours i had accumulated which wouldve been a payout of $450. I was furious. Also, no matter which house you work in, there always seems to be drama like 30 something year olds are in high school. really annoying
Pros
The clients
Cons
Management and drama between staff
Opportunity enterprises
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INDecember 1, 2016
The lack of communication in this company is unbelievable. Management will say one thing and do another. I've seen clients homes a complete mess over and over again without consequence. Fridges filled with moldy food, soiled laundry sitting in baskets for hours on end. Clients maintenance requests pushed off for weeks even months.. mold on a ceiling, broken washer and dryers. One week I spent 2 whole shifts at the laundry mat just because my upper aboves "forgot". Clients getting MRSA but isnt taken to a doctor for days. Management not informing DSP'S of MRSA so they can take proper precautions. This company has good intentions but once you're inside you realize it's a joke. I would recommend not working here. The job is not worth $9 an hour.
Pros
Clients are amazing.
Fulfilling and Rewarding
Direct Support Professional, Line Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INNovember 7, 2016
I thouroughly enjoy working with the clients at Opportunity Enterprises however it can be a challeging at the same time. Upper management seems to have a disconnect with the rest of their employees.
Pros
Great work schedule. Mon-Fri. Weekends and holidays off
Cons
Hard work for low pay