Opportunity Enterprises

Opportunity Enterprises Employee Reviews in United States

They are doing great wok with the handicap
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 30, 2016
I enjoyed working for them but found working with the handicap was very challenging. I enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Pros
Driveing and the hours
Cons
difficult working with the handicap
enjoy work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 15, 2016
Very flexible work space. There are many clients who enjoy being a part of the company. There are a lot of great people employed by the company. Being a nonprofit organization prevents chances for competitive salaries.
Opportunity enterprises
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MEMarch 3, 2016
I loved working with my consumers, however, the management of this company I did not trust when it came to making good judgement calls on the consumers or employees.
Productive and safe work emvirment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 15, 2016
The day stared with administering medications to clients and documentation of medications given. I learned to respect those in need and appreciate their company. Management was reasonable and worked in meting every employees needs.
Good co-workers and staff. Easy to talk too.
Assistant Manager/Group Home (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 17, 2015
This company was very good to their clients. However, they were not as good to their workers. I fell on the ice and broke my arm while working there. I did not receive adequate time off.
Pros
Paid lunch hours. Lots of helpers.
Cons
Clients were heavy and hard to move.
Highly ambitious work place!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, MESeptember 28, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside the staff, consumers and the Program Manager in the Bath office. Creating the activity calendar and watching the consumers enjoy the activities was amazing! The data entry part of the job was enjoyable.
They do not know how to treat people
crwe leader (Former Employee) –  2801 Evan Ave. Valparaiso, In 46383July 14, 2015
They forget what we are suppose to be dealing with ,It is all about the money and not the people, we are on call 24 hrs a day, pay checks are messed up all the time ,we were yelled and screamed at all the time
Pros
none at the end, every year got worse
Cons
Lunch break had to be drive thu and eat on the way, you did not get paid untill 1 st building
Good Company to work for
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 18, 2015
Fit for any schedule. Managers are wonderful. Coworkers are easy to get along with. Very fulfilling work. You get a feeling of doing good.
Pros
good work enviroment
Fun place to work, loved the overall atmosphere
Expert (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INMay 13, 2015
I would help individual with disabilities, with a nuber of different things throughtout the day. I wore many hats, I billed on clients using OASIS, and I documented in Medical Records, I passed meds, I assisted with seizures, and personal care. I assisted with feeding, I did a lot of heavy lifting, I assisted with behaviors. I am certified in first aid, CPR, OSHA, CPI. I know about dysphagia, and numerous other things I've learned from this job. I is a great place to work, you get a lot of support from co-workers, and they treat you like family.
Pros
PTO, Sick time
Cons
Low pay, no annual raises.
Decent Company to Work For
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 29, 2015
Not a job for someone looking to collect a paycheck. You will have good and bad days here, just like any other job. You must be aware of what is going on around you and be prepared for anything to happen. You have to be VERY flexible for this job, as your schedule can change at the last minute. The pay isn't the greatest.
Pros
Humbling
Cons
Low Pay
A decent place to work.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 1, 2015
I did enjoy working at this company. I only had a issue with the manager because they would not cooperate with me when I asked to be relieved and replaced for a certain duty.
Love what they stand for, poor upper management
direct support professional (Current Employee) –  valpoMarch 14, 2015
This is a good job, it is rewarding and can be a lot of fun when you go out with the clients, however upper management and some of the politics here may make you want to pull your hair out. It's very unorganized in my department, and it basically stems from a lack of communication between supervisors and staff, which will in turn make the DSP's job that much harder, because now since someone didn't communicate you are pulled to another site or something in your shift has changed that may throw everything out of whack. Also be prepared to drive the sh** out of your car. Especially in supported living. You are required to take the clients wherever they choose and wherever the supervisors tell you. So you may have to go 45 min. to get to your site, then maybe have to take them to a family's house, church, grocery shopping or out of town; it is what is expected so be prepared to have gas, and not minding miles being put on your car. I've also noticed a lot of favoritism lately, which I know is everywhere however, it can be to the point where it isn't fair. Some staff are never pulled to different sites, simply because they have some sort of pull in the agency, which creates other staff who are just as equal to them in the company to be pulled everywhere and it just doesn't seem fair. However the favoritism is blatantly obvious so I can't see why they don't get in trouble over it.
Its rewarding to be with clients, talk with them and go places with them, just wish their was better communication in the agency.
Pros
opportunity to help, work and be with clients who are fun
Cons
bad communication and management in some departments
My favorite job.
Assisting mentally disabled clients (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, IndianaMarch 13, 2015
Pay good. employees are good. clients are awesome. office staff not very professional at times. schedules are usually late. unorganized. frequent call offs. the clients make it all worth while. Community outings are fun.
Most rewarding career I've ever had
N/A (Current Employee) –  ValparaisoFebruary 17, 2015
Opportunity Enterprises is hands down the greatest job I've held. I've worked here for just over a year, and I can't imagine a more encouraging work environment or a better crew of co-workers. Although there have definitely been some significant changes in the past year, they were all made in order to better the company and make sure that we are furthering the mission to maximize the self-sufficiency and enrich the quality of life for individuals with disabilities.

As with any job, there are always struggles and hard days, but I promise, working for the people we serve makes that all WELL worth it!
Pros
great benefits, 401k, flex time
A DSP at Opportuity Enterprises
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 13, 2015
At opportunity enterprises I help people with developmental disabilities with their day to day life. Although the management was not what I expect from a company I did learn better ways to interact with clients and help them in the community. The hardest part of the job was balancing my outside life, but I got a great satisfaction from helping my clients.
K2
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 1, 2015
A day at work could include a shovel and a bucket or a hydro blasting gun a day at work at this company in not for the lazy.
Dsp
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INOctober 8, 2014
The other reviews were pretty spot on. It is indeed, a great place to work ,but there is just too much liability. The management was absurd. It was because of poor training and poor management that I did not work there as long as I intended. Co-workers were nice to your face, but you never know what is said when you aren't there. They most likely will be out to get you if they don't like you. But none of that matters anyways because your job is to be there for your participants. And in the end if you have a great relationship with your participant then you will do just fine. Just make sure you dot your I's and cross your T's because one mistake can change your life.
Awesome place to work hands down!!
Lead DSP/ trainer (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 24, 2014
I have never loved a job as much as I do now. I wake up every day excited to be able to be with my participants, which have become my second family. There is nothing better than the love that you recieve from them!! I also love that I am able to help the new DSPs to learn thier job better, and to grow in thier possition. I have learned so much from this job that I am most certainly not the same person that I was when I started. I also appreciate the support that I recieve from my supervisors, director, and admin team. The support team trully cares about the staff, and it shows. I can definitely see a long carrer with this company. Yes, this job can be stressful at times, but the wonderful times outway the stress, and make it bearable. If you are looking for a company that cares about you, then this is the company for you. I appreciate the great benifits as well.
Pros
getting to be around the participants all day!!
The best workplace with amazing participants
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 24, 2014
I've been working at Opportunity Enterprises since June of 2013. It's been the best experience of my working years. Before Opportunity Enterprises, I was in and out of retail jobs trying to find my place in the community. With more than 400 hours of volunteer service behind me, it's safe to say helping people is in my nature. I took a chance and went in for an open interview. The first thing I noticed: Everyone in the office was so welcoming. The second? That's easy. It was the atmosphere. It was so positive and full of happiness. A couple of days later, I was offered the job and I knew I couldn't say no.

From the first day of orientation, I knew that I was going to completely fall in love with this job. What they don't tell you, is the participants capture your heart in this way that you can't come close to explaining. You know you're making someone's day better, and what's better than improving the life of someone else? What they also don't tell you, is the participants impact your life in ways you never thought possible. While we push them to do better, to accomplish goals, daily living skills, and long term goals, they push us to become the best person we can be. Not only for ourselves, but for the rest of our lives.

Opportunity Enterprises is filled with hope, dreams, and most importantly, accomplishments. It is the most rewarding thing to walk into work, knowing that today you're going to make a difference. The management never comes short of saying "thank you!" They let you know that you're appreciated. I honestly couldn't ask for better management, or support staff.
  more... We're literally one huge family. No one goes unheard, and that's the beautiful thing about this job. The managers are much more than managers. They're our support, they're our leaders and our encouragers.

The CEO of Opportunity Enterprises is very involved. From dinners with participants to encouraging e-mails. He's a wonderful man to work under, and he makes sure your ideas are heard. To a lot of us, David is our inspiration.

Opportunity Enterprises is more than a fantastic company; It's like a home away from home. I honestly don't believe it gets much better than this. Without Opportunity Enterprises, I wouldn't be filled with the hope that I am today. They say we're in the business of amazing people, and that couldn't be any more true! I couldn't be anymore greatful for the job that I have, because I get to change lives. Much like my participants have changed mine.
Pros
outings, great management, amazing staff
Amazing place to make a difference
Admin (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJuly 14, 2014
The people at Opportunity Enterprises are amazing. I enjoy everyday because of the people I serve as well as the people that I work with each day. The open door policy and "ready to help" attitude helps me know that everyone at the organization is one team working together.
Pros
great team, good benefits, growth opportunities