Opportunity Enterprises

Opportunity Enterprises Employee Reviews

They do not know how to treat people
crwe leader (Former Employee), 2801 Evan Ave. Valparaiso, In 46383July 14, 2015
Pros: none at the end, every year got worse
Cons: Lunch break had to be drive thu and eat on the way, you did not get paid untill 1 st building
They forget what we are suppose to be dealing with ,It is all about the money and not the people, we are on call 24 hrs a day, pay checks are messed up all the time ,we were yelled and screamed at all the time
Good Company to work for
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INJune 18, 2015
Pros: good work enviroment
Fit for any schedule. Managers are wonderful. Coworkers are easy to get along with. Very fulfilling work. You get a feeling of doing good.
Fun place to work, loved the overall atmosphere
Expert (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 13, 2015
Pros: PTO, Sick time
Cons: Low pay, no annual raises.
I would help individual with disabilities, with a nuber of different things throughtout the day. I wore many hats, I billed on clients using OASIS, and I documented in Medical Records, I passed meds, I assisted with seizures, and personal care. I assisted with feeding, I did a lot of heavy lifting, I assisted with behaviors. I am certified in first aid, CPR, OSHA, CPI. I know about dysphagia, and numerous other things I've learned from this job. I is a great place to work, you get a lot of support from co-workers, and they treat you like family.
Decent Company to Work For
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 29, 2015
Pros: Humbling
Cons: Low Pay
Not a job for someone looking to collect a paycheck. You will have good and bad days here, just like any other job. You must be aware of what is going on around you and be prepared for anything to happen. You have to be VERY flexible for this job, as your schedule can change at the last minute. The pay isn't the greatest.
A decent place to work.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INApril 1, 2015
I did enjoy working at this company. I only had a issue with the manager because they would not cooperate with me when I asked to be relieved and replaced for a certain duty.
Love what they stand for, poor upper management
direct support professional (Current Employee), valpoMarch 14, 2015
Pros: opportunity to help, work and be with clients who are fun
Cons: bad communication and management in some departments
This is a good job, it is rewarding and can be a lot of fun when you go out with the clients, however upper management and some of the politics here may make you want to pull your hair out. It's very unorganized in my department, and it basically stems from a lack of communication between supervisors and staff, which will in turn make the DSP's job that much harder, because now since someone didn't communicate you are pulled to another site or something in your shift has changed that may throw everything out of whack. Also be prepared to drive the sh** out of your car. Especially in supported living. You are required to take the clients wherever they choose and wherever the supervisors tell you. So you may have to go 45 min. to get to your site, then maybe have to take them to a family's house, church, grocery shopping or out of town; it is what is expected so be prepared to have gas, and not minding miles being put on your car. I've also noticed a lot of favoritism lately, which I know is everywhere however, it can be to the point where it isn't fair. Some staff are never pulled to different sites, simply because they have some sort of pull in the agency, which creates other staff who are just as equal to them in the company to be pulled everywhere and it just doesn't seem fair. However the favoritism is blatantly obvious so I can't see why they don't get in trouble over it.
Its rewarding to be with clients, talk with them and go places with them, just wish their was better communication in the agency.
My favorite job.
Assisting mentally disabled clients (Former Employee), Valparaiso, IndianaMarch 13, 2015
Pay good. employees are good. clients are awesome. office staff not very professional at times. schedules are usually late. unorganized. frequent call offs. the clients make it all worth while. Community outings are fun.
Most rewarding career I've ever had
N/A (Current Employee), ValparaisoFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great benefits, 401k, flex time
Opportunity Enterprises is hands down the greatest job I've held. I've worked here for just over a year, and I can't imagine a more encouraging work environment or a better crew of co-workers. Although there have definitely been some significant changes in the past year, they were all made in order to better the company and make sure that we are furthering the mission to maximize the self-sufficiency and enrich the quality of life for individuals with disabilities.

As with any job, there are always struggles and hard days, but I promise, working for the people we serve makes that all WELL worth it!
A DSP at Opportuity Enterprises
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 13, 2015
At opportunity enterprises I help people with developmental disabilities with their day to day life. Although the management was not what I expect from a company I did learn better ways to interact with clients and help them in the community. The hardest part of the job was balancing my outside life, but I got a great satisfaction from helping my clients.
K2
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 1, 2015
A day at work could include a shovel and a bucket or a hydro blasting gun a day at work at this company in not for the lazy.
DSP
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Valparaiso, INOctober 8, 2014
The other reviews were pretty spot on. It is indeed, a great place to work ,but there is just too much liability. The management was absurd. It was because of poor training and poor management that I did not work there as long as I intended. Co-workers were nice to your face, but you never know what is said when you aren't there. They most likely will be out to get you if they don't like you. But none of that matters anyways because your job is to be there for your participants. And in the end if you have a great relationship with your participant then you will do just fine. Just make sure you dot your I's and cross your T's because one mistake can change your life.
Awesome place to work hands down!!
Lead DSP/ trainer (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 24, 2014
Pros: getting to be around the participants all day!!
I have never loved a job as much as I do now. I wake up every day excited to be able to be with my participants, which have become my second family. There is nothing better than the love that you recieve from them!! I also love that I am able to help the new DSPs to learn thier job better, and to grow in thier possition. I have learned so much from this job that I am most certainly not the same person that I was when I started. I also appreciate the support that I recieve from my supervisors, director, and admin team. The support team trully cares about the staff, and it shows. I can definitely see a long carrer with this company. Yes, this job can be stressful at times, but the wonderful times outway the stress, and make it bearable. If you are looking for a company that cares about you, then this is the company for you. I appreciate the great benifits as well.
The best workplace with amazing participants
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 24, 2014
Pros: outings, great management, amazing staff
I've been working at Opportunity Enterprises since June of 2013. It's been the best experience of my working years. Before Opportunity Enterprises, I was in and out of retail jobs trying to find my place in the community. With more than 400 hours of volunteer service behind me, it's safe to say helping people is in my nature. I took a chance and went in for an open interview. The first thing I noticed: Everyone in the office was so welcoming. The second? That's easy. It was the atmosphere. It was so positive and full of happiness. A couple of days later, I was offered the job and I knew I couldn't say no.

From the first day of orientation, I knew that I was going to completely fall in love with this job. What they don't tell you, is the participants capture your heart in this way that you can't come close to explaining. You know you're making someone's day better, and what's better than improving the life of someone else? What they also don't tell you, is the participants impact your life in ways you never thought possible. While we push them to do better, to accomplish goals, daily living skills, and long term goals, they push us to become the best person we can be. Not only for ourselves, but for the rest of our lives.

Opportunity Enterprises is filled with hope, dreams, and most importantly, accomplishments. It is the most rewarding thing to walk into work, knowing that today you're going to make a difference. The management never comes short of saying "thank you!" They let you know that you're appreciated. I honestly couldn't ask for better management, or support staff. – more... We're literally one huge family. No one goes unheard, and that's the beautiful thing about this job. The managers are much more than managers. They're our support, they're our leaders and our encouragers.

The CEO of Opportunity Enterprises is very involved. From dinners with participants to encouraging e-mails. He's a wonderful man to work under, and he makes sure your ideas are heard. To a lot of us, David is our inspiration.

Opportunity Enterprises is more than a fantastic company; It's like a home away from home. I honestly don't believe it gets much better than this. Without Opportunity Enterprises, I wouldn't be filled with the hope that I am today. They say we're in the business of amazing people, and that couldn't be any more true! I couldn't be anymore greatful for the job that I have, because I get to change lives. Much like my participants have changed mine. – less
Amazing place to make a difference
Admin (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 14, 2014
Pros: great team, good benefits, growth opportunities
The people at Opportunity Enterprises are amazing. I enjoy everyday because of the people I serve as well as the people that I work with each day. The open door policy and "ready to help" attitude helps me know that everyone at the organization is one team working together.
Great place to work and make a difference!
Administrative (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJuly 10, 2014
Pros: personal and professional growth opportunities, employee benefits
I have worked for OE for over 12 years and have been through many challenges and changes but have grown both personally and professionally throughout the process. It is great to wake up and come to work for a place where you know you are valued and you make a difference in someones life everyday.
Great in theory, lousy in practice
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Valparaiso, IndianaJune 26, 2014
Pros: participants are wonderful people
Cons: communcation, managers
I worked here for a little bit over a month, I love working with the demographic and the participants I worked with particularly were wonderful. However, right off the bat I was able to make a small notebook full of ways to improve situations, protocols, paperwork, COMMUNICATION etc.
It started out negatively during orientation; the nurses that gave us our orientation didn't realize they had a completely different packet than us until 3/4 through the day, even though we pointed it out to them several times. they were short tempered, not organized at all and very vague yet were irate when we would ask questions. The medpass, i felt, was not adequate. I am from Illinois and when my sister in law ( whos a nurse) heard i passed meds and documentation she nearly fainted, apparently O.E consider the 10 hours " extensive" of class time adequate to "certify" us in medpasses. I never felt comfortable due to the fact that the nurses cut this part short for our orientation, they took half a day on the last day and were so unorganized they must have wasted 2 hours the first day of Medcore. ( if you haven't figured it out, Medcore was a medical class to teach us how to properly pass out and document passing out any medications to the participants, what a lot of medications are for and overall a general medical course).
Then the nutritionist lady ( who was apparently new) did her presentation about what each meal needs to consist of, who needs what etc, but then right after she left the next presenter came and totally disregarded what the nutritionist had told us to do. Then during the self – more... defense day, they apparently had no idea how many people were suppose to show up, they turned quite a few away due to the lack of supplies; they were expecting like 30 and 50 showed... very disorganized. ( i lived 45 minutes away, i would've been furious to find out i couldn't stay in the course)
then during our shadowing, my group and i learned a few things, and how other DSP's did their rounds/paperwork etc, which did not match up whatsoever to what we were trained in orientation. But working 2nd shift, generally it was just making the participants meal, pick up a bit, and watch t.v until it was time to fill out the paperwork.

I met several other DSP's once I got settled into the housing I was assigned to, most of them were nice and helpful. However the communication was what was terrible. The med drawers/paperwork was so disorganized, no on kept up with the charts etc. The series of situations that made me realize i had to quit was; the system to document time, schedule etc wasn't set up until for me until close to a month of being there and since i hadn't had this set up ( computer problems at the house, and then finally got it sorted with the I.T guys) I hadn't had the option to learn the computer program right off the bat, so i had gotten scolded by this supervisor cheryl, who was extremely rude each and every time i had encountered her ( once was because i had accidently dropped off some paperwork at the main office when it was a week that it wasn't required, an the other was when i called to see if she could cover a shift due to me having strep, i didn't know her or any of the other 15 people personally but she was blatantly rude ). One participant had constant coughing/wheezing spells, i was told that's just a condition of theirs and the doctor knew about it and give them this cough medicine if it gets really bad. well, the coughing as terrible as it was, but when i had gotten back from being sick, no one told me/ wrote down that the individual had gone to the e.r and been diagnosed with pneumonia. so in the middle of the night ( 3rd shift) the participant woke up and was coughing up what looked like brown blood, i freaked out and was looking for the emergency number when i saw in the very back of a random folder that the participant had been diagnosed with pneumonia, that's it....... no directions on what to do, how to work their new breathing apparatus ( which no one told me about, needless to say show me how to set it up), how it affected their eating specifications...nothing.
Then that morning someone came to be with that participant while i finished my shift, without any heads up ( i had them ready to go to their daily activities cause no one told me otherwise). The following shift was similar, the participant was not any better, i was told they were staying in again, so i got their roommates up and ready, and waited about 30 minutes before calling the 911 phone line to see what was going on because i was expecting a relief person to show up for the person with penumonia, the supervisor had no idea what i was talking about, they called their supervisor and we all played phone tag until i was told to bring all the participants in for their activities, no one was staying home that day. This was during a holiday season, and i had gotten lectured by the activities people about who packed what, for who for when the participants were to leave to go to their respected families for the weekend, that included medicines that got mixed up, documents that weren't signed etc, all prepared by someone else ( supervisor) and i was asked to simply bring the baggage to the activity center. THERE WAS VIRTUALLY NO COMMUNICATION, which is the main reason why i quit.
it became too much of a liability in my opinion, we were told the ' good samaritan law ( which is, in an emergency doing what another would do with your background and experience; so, if someone was slashed and bleeding profusely, i could wrap it up and put pressure on the wound with no consequence , but it could be a lawsuit if i tried to put stitches in the cut because i haven't been trained)........ well we were told the good samaritan law does not apply to us DSP's, which made me even more apprehensive about giving meds, and watching 3-4 individuals by myself at any given time. .

The 2 days with pneumonia and then not knowing where/what to do with this participant and just being pulled around was what did me in. To further my point; I had dropped off my participants, and called my boss cell, who was off for the day ( they did not have the e.r phone) to tell them that i would not be able to stay on with O.E, i gave a short explanation and requested that they call me as soon as they could so i could explain, and get further directions on whether or not i need to have an official resignation letter etc). I called them again the next day since they did not return my call. After that, one of their bosses called to offer me to re take orientation to make myself more comfortable with the protocols/policies, i respectfully declined, explaining what happened and that i had quit. They responded confused, they had no idea i had quit, apparently my boss didn't listen to my messages.
To further the lack of communication, the following week in the afternoon ( a day i was originally scheduled to work) I got a text from a DSP who worked in the house i was at, they asked me if i could show up a bit early cause they had somewhere to be. I responded that i had quit the week before, they were flabbergasted..... apparently they weren't informed and no one was scheduled for my shift.

in theory, i do like what O.E is about; helping those who needs help, giving individuals the opportunity to live on their own ( in a way), to have a job, to have responsibilities etc. I like the work shop idea ( piece work), the bakery, paper shredding etc, and all the participants i worked with were wonderful. I feel terrible that it was so shady to me, it's frustrating to see that these individuals, who are adults, not being allowed their god given rights to be exercised due to a disability,

and although there were some very friendly, empathetic individuals who were ' corporate', and a few DSP's who love their jobs, there were more who were there for a pay check, who were salty and made everything seem like a chore if you asked for advice or assistance ( even though we were constantly being told to ask for help/assistance/advice) It all was very fake, and cosmetic in hindsight when it came to the staff. They have such a high turn over rate due to the type of industry they're in, which is understandable ( this is definitely not for everyone) that they push you through orientation and training, this isn't some warehouse job where if you goof up you can re -do, these individuals can have serious health and mental illnesses, yet a lot of people just skimmed by.

ULTIMATELY; IT WAS TOO MUCH OF A LIABILITY AND THE COMMUNICATION WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN ANY JOB. – less
na
Direct support professional (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INMay 29, 2014
nothing

Assistive Technology - Participants get hands-on experience with current technology and computer programs.
Traditional hardware and software, track ball mice and hands-free computer operation systems are all included.
The program also provides training and assessment for basic typing skills, Internet usage, Microsoft Office
Suite, voice recognition and Quicken.
Community Integration - Participants are invited to explore volunteer and recreational activities within the
community under the supervision of a staff member. Our trained instructors work on skills, including parking
lot and vehicle safety, appropriate social and public interactions, following directions while volunteering to help
others, and many more.
Relaxation - Instructors works one-on-one with participants in an effort to teach them stress reduction
techniques and to help improve physical mobility.
Supported Living:
Through Supported Living, participants can live on their own and have staff interaction only 5 hours per week,
or four participants can share an apartment and have 24-hour staff supervision. Activities during the week may
include going to one of Opportunity Enterprises’ Daily Programs or participating in our JobSource program.
Our staff also aids the participants in reaching daily goals, including health and safety, household and money
management skills, recreation and leisure, social and daily living skills.
Great opportunity to serve the MR/DD population
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Valparaiso, INJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the individuals and co workers
Cons: overworked, underpaid
It was a very rewarding job in terms of helping those in the MR/DD population. It was good to be able to help this population function in the community. The agency is very passionate about serving and making a better quality of life for the individuals.
Love the job
Direct S (Current Employee), Valparaiso INDecember 24, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Resposible for teaching and living modeling appropriate social and interperonal behaviors to the individual.Maintain and submit necessary all.
Rewarding job working with clients. Very nice staff.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Auburn, MEOctober 16, 2013
Pros: meeting new people and discovering new opportunities in the community.
Cons: high health care costs
I worked 40 hours a week with clients that had various types of disabilities. I learned other skills then I had in previous jobs. The DSP staff were very nice and helpful.