Opportunity Village Employee Reviews

Good stepping stone
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 13, 2017
It's intense work environment, not too much team work and not much help is provided for both employees and other staff members.
Pros
The Clients
Cons
compensation, management and break times
Fun volunteering/work place for everyone!
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 12, 2016
I would first start by helping out with outdoor work to set up the magical forest for holiday events. Secondly, I would do some indoor work. Some examples are glittering ornaments, cutting out some art and craft work, and sealing invitations. Lastly, I would leave since there wouldn't be any other work. The people there are out going, nice, etc. Management is also nice and out going. There isn't any hard parts about the volunteer work. The most enjoyable is the indoor work.
Pros
fun, great work, simple, easy start for people looking for volunteer work.
Rewarding helping out others
JDP instructor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 9, 2016
I work for the Job Discovery Program. Very rewarding in watching students get a job and that they are proud to get. Great hours
Pros
Health insurance, disability, retirement fund
Cons
Sometimes pushes my patience, few opportunities for raises
Fun work place with bi-monthly BBQ's
Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 16, 2016
A typical day at work consists of showing employees how to complete hotel contracts, ensuring safety among everyone, entering data at the end of the day and writing on monthly records. I worked with a lot of great people who helped each other out when needed. T he most enjoyable part of work were the "fun" days which included BBQ's, movies and games. The management was helpful when talking about what I could do to improve my work and advance within the company. I can't really think of anything that was hard about my job it was clear what everyone had to do.
Pros
BBQ's and fellow co-workers
Cons
no break room away from crowds
great workplace, awful management
Personal Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IASeptember 28, 2016
The work was extremely rewarding and co-workers were great, but the management didn't seem to actually care about employees or the clients' real needs.
Pros
free meals with clients, camaraderie between co-workers, well-maintained campus
Cons
management
fun place to work
On Call Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 26, 2016
fun place to work, caring people and working with the clients is awesome. Typical day at work is fun, creative and fulfilling.
it's a fun workplace but they treated clients like little kids
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 2, 2016
They don't treat the client's right and I don't pay them enough money so I wouldn't recommend it to nobody they should treat us like in adults so I would not recommend to put your kids there
Cons
. They give us a short lunch break
Opportunity Village
Seasonal Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89146June 30, 2016
Opportunity Village is a non-profit local charity aimed at providing jobs for mentally disabled adults. I worked as a train engineer at their seasonal park called Magical Forest. This park opens in November through January for the holiday season. As a train engineer, I operated an air pressured train designed for smaller children. I greeted guests and provided information about the charity and the park's other features. I was promoted to a supervisor position in my last year served there in 2013. I oversaw the safety of other volunteers and guests that enjoyed the attraction.
NOTE: This was a volunteer experience. No pay was received.
Pros
Free meals and drinks during shift, break room close to operations
I loved working with the individuals! But management Does Not care about the staff under them or the individuals.
Career Opportunity Advocate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 8, 2015
I gave 8 years to OV, in that time I have built amazing relationships with the individuals and their families. Never had one negative action against me, but was fired without being able to speak my side of a story wrote by a new employee who is not capable of working with individuals. All my families were lied to about where I was....it was devesating to all of the individuals that have trusted me and to the familes that trusted the care I gave them. I was forsed to disappear from them. If this company truly cared about employees or the individuals we are to serve, they would not have such a huge turn over rate.
Pros
Working with the individuals!!!They are amazing!
Cons
Huge turn over, no support, low pay- .18 cent raise in 8 years, management will Not be hands on with clients.
Amazing to clients, but less than wonderful to employees
Day Activities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 25, 2014
Opportunity Village has the happiest clients I've seen in any day program for adults with intellectual disabilities. They truly love their work, their lives are enriched, and they are treated with the greatest respect.

Working as an entry level staff gives you minimal pay, but descent benefits. Management is not consistent through the company, but upper to lower management communication struggles. Taking initiative is not encouraged or rewarded, and upward movement is rare. Staff have been fired without any warning or chance to improve. You do not have a lunch break, but instead eat with clients.

The best part of the job is working with the individuals. They are often full of life and excitement, and they love their staff. The hardest part is dealing with individual behavioral issues.
Pros
Good health care benefits
Cons
Some managers are poorly trained
Fun, nice people but the salary is terrible
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 2, 2015
No raise for that past 3 years when I worked there. They are all about the clients and the cause but the employees need more support and recognition. Management changes all the time with different salaries but still nothing comes down to the employees.
Pros
Good team involvement for the cause! Volunteering is great networking!
Cons
Medical benefits are ok, salaries are very low and no raise!
A great place to volunteer
Volunteer Host (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89146August 28, 2016
Just apply online, then go on down to the Village itself and just stand around, take tickets, and be nice to people who come.
Brief introduction about my job
PsP (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAApril 9, 2016
A typical day at work is a day that is started with enthusiasm, and desire to be the best worker at your job, and i go to work everyday with this mentality to be the best. i have learned numerous things at this job that includes: learning to put others before me, learning to be professional and respectable. The hardest part of my current job is the unstable environment that is created by the gossiping mouths of co-workers. the most enjoyable part of my job would have to be seeing the faces of the clients light up everyday when they see me walk in to work.
I stay productive and enjoy working with military and my co-workers
FSS Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 14, 2014
A typical day for me is getting my assigned work area and keeping it clean and stocked until my next work assignment which is cashiering.I have learned the true meaning behind... never let a disability allow you from living your life, I work along-side some of the greatest people you could ever meet. Opportunity Village is known for training and employing ones with a mental or physical disability. The hardest part of my job is watching these brave men and women in the military leaving their loved ones behind to serve our country. My most enjoyable part of my job is offering great customer service and seeing that I made a difference in someones day.
Pros
Working on NAFB
Cons
No raises in salary in the whole 8-10 years OPV has had the civilian government contract, in-which could end our contract renew. at any time due to Air Force budget cuts.
Needs Work
PSP, CMA (Current Employee) –  Clear Lake, IAJuly 21, 2015
Opportunity Village is a great place to learn and use personal communication skills and build great relationships with the clients you serve. Management will ask for your opinion or suggestions to make the facility better, but then will ignore said suggestions.
Pros
Great relationships with the clients
Cons
Upper management is made up of "good ol' boys", management does not take suggestions seriously, politics have gotten better, but still need work.
A good place that feels like family. Always striving to improve.
cottage staff and garden staff (Former Employee) –  usually Executive CottageSeptember 14, 2013
Few staff to help with each need. Staff (male and female) must mesh well together for overall harmony. The climate between the staff soon trickles down to the consumers. The best help to give a consumer is to teach them to be as independent as possible. Management has been varied---male, female; older, younger; more education, less education. Management has usually been fair. [Something that seems strange to me is that while having a job review with a supervisor that I did not like---he gave me a compliment (that I consider the best compliment I ever received). I took this well, and have always remembered it.] The hardest part of the joy was trying to navigate through the politics of the place. I don't like politics myself, and would try to ignore it, which is impossible. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the consumers. I have to work at not being manipulated by them, as I have an eager to please personality.
Pros
Working with consumers
Cons
Village politics
love this job
Shift Leader/ Medication Aide/ Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IA 50428April 28, 2016
great people and great workplace cant say lot about the job because then it all about hippa.that all i can say right now.administrate and pass out medication to persons living in home and assist with day-to-day living skills also to make up time
? sheet and work sheet for staff and to do staff training.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long time to work upwards
productive and learning experience
Program Manager the Day Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 10, 2014
working with the disable has been a very enjoyable and learning experience. I have learned that people who are disable can have very productive lives. I have learned that that just because they have a disability they should not be treated any different than you or or. Its apart of them its not them. Management is wonderful and carrying. the Hardest part of the job is making sure I am doing exactly what is expected of me. Being able to show them a new skill and they enjoy it is the best part of my day.
Pros
seing their happy faces and watching them complete a task
Cons
N/A
A good job for recent college graduates.
Community Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 10, 2016
It is a good job and an excellent learning opportunity. My skills and communication skills have improved since being in a supervisor position.
Pros
easy going
Cons
swing swift and not enough money
Enjoyed the people i worked for
Medication Aide/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IAAugust 21, 2015
I assisted individuals with mental and physical challenges in medication administration, daily living skills personal hygiene, oral care, meal preparations, and sometimes helped them hand over hand to eat. I learned how to not sweat the small stuff and that life is what it is. If you can't change it, do sweat it. Also that change has to come from with in yourself. The individuals i worked for were the most wonderful people in the world. They accepted you for who you are and gave you a smile and how are you every day when coming i to work with them.
Pros
Wonderful people to work for.
Cons
changes in how and where these individuals live.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opportunity Village. Our community is ready to answer.