Opportunity Village

Opportunity Village Employer Reviews

just want to do your 8 hours and go home no fun
custodian supervisor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 21, 2014
A good job to start off at not to advance and to better with your life if you are looking to settle that is the place for you
I stay productive and enjoy working with military and my co-workers
FSS Cashier (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVOctober 14, 2014
Pros: working on nafb
Cons: no raises in salary in the whole 8-10 years opv has had the civilian government contract, in-which could end our contract renew. at any time due to air force budget cuts.
A typical day for me is getting my assigned work area and keeping it clean and stocked until my next work assignment which is cashiering.I have learned the true meaning behind... never let a disability allow you from living your life, I work along-side some of the greatest people you could ever meet. Opportunity Village is known for training and employing ones with a mental or physical disability. The hardest part of my job is watching these brave men and women in the military leaving their loved ones behind to serve our country. My most enjoyable part of my job is offering great customer service and seeing that I made a difference in someones day.
The ratio of staff to clients made it an unsafe working enviroment
Home Health Aide (Former Employee), Mason City, IAOctober 10, 2014
Pros: making a differnce in the lives of others.
Cons: not enough help.
Working night shift I was responsible for the care of 14 adults with disabilities both physical and mental. The clients required toileting every two hours. House cleaning, laundry and cooking also was required. The hardest part of my job was handling behaviors with clients twice my size.
Training Instructor (Former Employee), 6300 W. Oakey Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89146October 7, 2014
Train people with disabilities to work in a work environment. Learn how to interact with person with disabilities. Very supportive co-workers. Hardest part of the job is to calm an individual who becomes aggressive. Enjoy working with people with disabilities especially when they are able to learn what you taught them.
Great place to send disabled adults and get lots of love and care.
Customer service (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 8, 2014
engaging with disabled adults and making them feel good about their selves. Learned how to be patience. Management was great. They were for their staff. Co-workers were the best. They were they to help out with anything that needed to be done. Hardest part was not being able to understand some of the clients. Best part was seeing their smile.
productive and learning experience
Program Manager the Day Activities Coordinator (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 10, 2014
Pros: seing their happy faces and watching them complete a task
Cons: n/a
working with the disable has been a very enjoyable and learning experience. I have learned that people who are disable can have very productive lives. I have learned that that just because they have a disability they should not be treated any different than you or or. Its apart of them its not them. Management is wonderful and carrying. the Hardest part of the job is making sure I am doing exactly what is expected of me. Being able to show them a new skill and they enjoy it is the best part of my day.
Productive and positive work environment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 4, 2014
Pros: breaks and lunch, decent schedule
Cons: other than distance, there are no notable cons
Working at OV was a positive learning experience! The co-workers are respectful and friendly. Management was effective. A typical day at work for me was starting on warehouse duties and continuing routine until other assistance was needed elsewhere. Working together with staff and helping the disabled felt like being part of a community.
air force contract
FSS/Cashier Food Service Sanitation Cashier (Former Employee), nellis air force baseMarch 27, 2014
Pros: working with the people
the job was cleaning entire facility using commercial equipment and cashier.
Amazing to clients, but less than wonderful to employees
Day Activities Supervisor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 25, 2014
Pros: good health care benefits
Cons: some managers are poorly trained
Opportunity Village has the happiest clients I've seen in any day program for adults with intellectual disabilities. They truly love their work, their lives are enriched, and they are treated with the greatest respect.

Working as an entry level staff gives you minimal pay, but descent benefits. Management is not consistent through the company, but upper to lower management communication struggles. Taking initiative is not encouraged or rewarded, and upward movement is rare. Staff have been fired without any warning or chance to improve. You do not have a lunch break, but instead eat with clients.

The best part of the job is working with the individuals. They are often full of life and excitement, and they love their staff. The hardest part is dealing with individual behavioral issues.
Mentally Rewarding Company Assisting Needs Of Mental Health Clients
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: alot of pto
Cons: alot of extra hours
Caring company catering to the wants and needs of the Mental Health community in Las Vegas. Business Office catered to financial operations of the company including A/P, A/R, credit & collections, banking, journal entries, month end close, and financials.
Oversaw students in art class
Art Enrichment Supervisor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: every day the students brought smiles to my face!
Cons: they only needed me part-timeā€¦less than three weeks.
It was such a humbling and fun experience. The kids and adults were a joy to work with. I was fascinated by a lot of the artwork made by the students because I for one can not draw for the life of me!
good place to work if you have a caring heart
Med-Aide, Personal Assistant, and Job Coach (Former Employee), Clear Lake, IAJanuary 10, 2014
Working one on one with persons with disabilities assisting them with their everyday living skills and teaching them how to do piece rate work for larger companies.
Lots of benefits & opportunities.
Custodial Specialist (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 5, 2013
At the last training over the weekend, I heard that OV was expanding to North Las Vegas, building a park & apartment complex next to the Buffalo campus within 5 years & have 5 pending contracts. OV is making a big impact for Las Vegas & the families of the OV family.
great place to work
Director of Program Services (promoted) (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 4, 2013
Best part of the job was the people we served and their families.
Productive and fun workplace.
Document Scanning Specialist (Former Employee), Henderson, NVNovember 4, 2013
Pros: allow the person a extra break
Cons: meeting the dead-lines.
its a great company to work for its a none profit organization
Execllent place to work...
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Clear Lake, IAOctober 2, 2013
This job I work overnights. So I didnt really have much to do was clean and do safety checks on the residents and provide assist to those in need. Everyday was different because the resdients stayed in different homes.. mainly work by myself. hardest part when you find out someone pass away.. the enjoyable time just to see a resident smile
A good place that feels like family. Always striving to improve.
cottage staff and garden staff (Former Employee), usually Executive CottageSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: working with consumers
Cons: village politics
Few staff to help with each need. Staff (male and female) must mesh well together for overall harmony. The climate between the staff soon trickles down to the consumers. The best help to give a consumer is to teach them to be as independent as possible. Management has been varied---male, female; older, younger; more education, less education. Management has usually been fair. [Something that seems strange to me is that while having a job review with a supervisor that I did not like---he gave me a compliment (that I consider the best compliment I ever received). I took this well, and have always remembered it.] The hardest part of the joy was trying to navigate through the politics of the place. I don't like politics myself, and would try to ignore it, which is impossible. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the consumers. I have to work at not being manipulated by them, as I have an eager to please personality.
Production goals and Deadlines
Document Imaging Supervisor (Current Employee), Las Vegas NVSeptember 14, 2013
oversee the daily production of contract for scanning projects. ensure that all deadlines are met.
Nice fast pace environent
Document Processor (Former Employee), Henderson, NVAugust 7, 2013
Nice job. I like the fact it was fast pace, I like to stay busy at all times.
Great Mission
Great Mission (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 29, 2013
The mission of OV is a great one and one that is needed. The work and life balance is very much off balance though.