Options for Community Living Employee Reviews

No longer a nice environment to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYAugust 23, 2016
This used to be a nice place to work but now since new ED took over it is a toxic environment. Head management are completely under qualified for their position and offer no support to staff only self preservation for any short comings. It's sad as this used to be a great place to work. Staff only remain for the clients and little by little long term staff are leaving due to the horrendous lack of respect and poor morale.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
Cut throat and no proper supervision or support.
Agency has sadly gone downhill
Varied (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJuly 8, 2016
I spent several years at the agency, and watched a steady decline in the leadership over the last two years. The exit of the previous executive director has had massive implications on the health and morale of the agency. Would not recommend employment here.
Wonderful Agency to work for
Supervisor of the Intensive Supportive Program (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYApril 16, 2015
I worked for Options from 1986-1992. Probably the best job I have ever had in my 40 years on mental services. They are able to recognize their employees strengths and compensate them for their work, It is all about the clients for them as well.
Pros
Recongintion
Enlightened experience
Case Manager, HIV/AIDS Community Follow-Up Program (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYOctober 2, 2014
I have a degree in Psychology but really what did that mean for me? I knew, like all other social workers, I felt at my best when helping someone else. It wasn’t until this job, was I able to solidify that philosophy of a 'helper' with real life purpose. My time at Options for Community Living allowed me to know where I belong in society. I knew from this point on that I wanted to be the voice for the voiceless. I want to contribute to the success of the people that society has forgotten or thrown away. I wanted to give, not just the presence of a non- judgment atmosphere, but the true essence of one. My professional relationships grew under the knowledge that under no circumstances would ever judge a single word they would say. No matter who my client was I felt no judgment against anything they do or have done. I know from the deepest part of me that I am not better or worse in any way. I believe this is what made me a successful Case Manager. I know anyone of us can be homeless, be an addict or become HIV+ so when I worked for my clients I did so with as much vigor as if I was fighting for myself.
Pros
A wonderful population to work with
Cons
Lack of advancement
Productive workplace
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMay 24, 2013
Arrive at work and greet the residents to make sure they are doing what they aught to be. Then proceed to do room checks and take attendance for those residents that went to their day program. I would then start restorative services with residents that were home. After completing the services, I used OMH guidelines to write up the services. We filed important paperwork and used filing systems on the internet. The hardest part of my job was the relapse of the residents mental state. The most enjoyable part of my day was the fact that the residents depended on me personally on a daily basis. I learn a multitude of information about mental health patients and their conditions.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
healthcare, appointments
Good work environment
Mental Health Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJanuary 9, 2013
Clients make the job very pleasurable. People usually work there for a long period of time.
Comphrensive Case Management
Cobra Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJune 26, 2012
My schedule varies week to week. In a month i need to see all 40 clients, and manage all of their immediate needs. I complete daily paperwork, assessments, treatment plans, intakes and necessary documentation of services.
A lot of work, long hours. Rewarding work to see Clients well. Job does not pay well.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJune 18, 2012
Multi taks, prioritize tasks. Speak to clients through visits and on the phone both in Spanish and English. I have learned to focus and complete tasks, think more independently and to work more productively with difficult staff members. Our management is in constant flux. I have had many Supervisors seven during the ten years I've worked there. The agency has co-workers who are team players. The hardest part of the job is keeping my head above water due to the heavy work load. The most enjoyable is connecting to the clients knowing my efforts have made a positive difference.
Pros
positive outcome for clietns.
Cons
salaries are low.
Good place to work.
Senior Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Medford, NYApril 24, 2012
This job has a lot of learning opportunities. There is a lot of hands-on experience with the population. I have learned a lot about how symptoms of mental illness affect individuals on a daily basis. I have also had the opportunity to learn a lot about the Department of Social Services and Social Security benefits; how to apply, recertify and keep benefits for my clients. This job is best for those who are able to multitask and are good at time management. The environment with my co-workers is supportive and helpful and the hours are flexible enough for me to have time with my family as well.
Pros
vacation, personal and sick time accumulated each pay check.
Cons
busy days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Options for Community Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4