Optum Employee Reviews

Found 2,339 reviews matching the search
Has Potential
Director IT (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 24, 2017
Optum Technology, a part of United Health Group, is an organization with potential. Opportunity exists. Lots of growing pains; communication with teams on external client projects could be enhanced.
A great place to work
Consultant - Credit Balance (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2017
Optum is a line of business under United Group Corp. As with any corporation, there are many different levels of businesses/management and all of them take extra care to help keep all employees informed of what is taking place within the company. Optum is also spread out across almost all of the 50 states with major corporate offices in TN, and MN. My specific job with Optum consists of working on-site at various hospitals in Houston, TX. The workplace culture is their biggest asset as they consistently strive to make our jobs better. The most difficult part of my job is that our skill set is very definitive which makes for very few advancement opportunities.
Pros
Great team working environment, awesome benefitts
Cons
Lack of Advancement Opportunities
great job
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 24, 2017
I completely enjoyed my job the entire time I worked for Optum. Great people, great duties and great benefits. Was I not offered a better job, I would still be here.
Management Looks over your shoulder and ride you.
Licensed Agent & Provider Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 23, 2017
Management is not friendly and if you are a Barbie doll you will excel, if not you will be hassled. They tell you to be friendly and fussy with the customer and when you do, they give you a ding for staying on the phone too long. They need to do house cleaning for all management and get people that have a heart. I have friends their now that was promised a permanent job starting Feb 1, 2017 and they are still waiting. No benefits are anything and it is almost May 2017.
Pros
The client was very good to us.
Cons
Optum was too demanding, especially after they told us something different when we were in training.
Productive but bad management
UnitedHealthCare Prescription Drug Plan Agent (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 23, 2017
Overall Optum was a great experience for me. I learned how to work in a place that wasn't so professional but still keep my composure. The management was very poor and unprofessional. It was a place that pick and chose who to like. The supervisors showed favoritism towards certain employees. Also the training wasn't essential to the job. I had to learn everything on my own day by day once I actually got in the phones.
Pros
Schedules
Cons
Bad management
Just a cog
IT Consultant/Contractor (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 23, 2017
Management has a unique prospective by asking for long hours and no recognition. Group leads have a tendency to take recognition of your hard work. Exercise caution.
Pros
remote
Cons
As a healthcare provider they offered the minimum amount of medical benefits
na
Medicare Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 22, 2017
work 8-11 24/7
they helped me get my medicare lic
they dont let you go to the bathroom
loved my coworkers
nothing more to say about them have a goood day
Care for people
Primary care Physician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 22, 2017
Great place to work ok pay...great benefits enjoy the job and job title learn something different everday nice work place culture
.......bad management...
A wonderful opportunity
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  TelecommuteApril 21, 2017
Managment is helpful without being micromanagers. The culture is amazing and coworkers are always available to ask questions even if managment is in perpetual meetings day in and day out. Convoluted processes and difficult communication at times with such a large enterprise.
Pros
Amazing leadership
Cons
Convoluted Communication and expectations.
Outsourced call center with great coworkers
Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COApril 21, 2017
As far as the company went, it was a job. The Industries that help build the work environment were doing well as a company, but were not in touch with the people that had boosted their revenue and made them a fortune 500 company. The compensation for the work load was competitive when I started, but then became lowered to fit the budget.
Pros
close relationships between coworkers
Cons
job insecurity and overall mood
great place to work
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INApril 20, 2017
I have learned so much from my team with Optum. they are engaging and really have an amazing culture. They care about people and the work life balance.
Pros
Amazing culture
Cons
can not think of anything
data entry with Optum
Casual Data Entry Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85044April 20, 2017
I enjoyed the actual work of data entry. I hated the team lead that was over my group, because she played favorites. I disliked that the contract ended 4 months early.
poor morale
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COApril 19, 2017
Testing is biased your told one thing in training but when they test you they count against you the very things the trainer said you can use Quality control is a joke It is unfair and and biaded
Pros
people you meet
Cons
poor management
Another good place to start
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 19, 2017
Responsible for taking inbound calls from and placing outbound calls to patients, physicians to schedule appointments and information regarding changes in benefits and/or insurance such as claim denials and benefits add to MAPD plans. Required to enter accurate information into a multi-screen computer application. Worked on a recorded, monitored phone system which required employees to be logged in and available to service members during scheduled work hours. Comprehensive training, including training on computer applications, workflows/processes, basic drug therapy information and any HIPAA information was provided.
Pros
great for overtime
Cons
too little pay
Great office environment
Provider Install Rep - Behavioral Health PDM (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 19, 2017
Optum is a great company to work for. Safe, clean environment to grow and develop in. I have a nice entry level position, but looking for more challenges within or outside the company. Excellent business setting.
Pros
Excellent lunch room and coffee shops.
Workplace
Licensed Health Agent/Rotational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 19, 2017
Optum was bought out by TeleTech and there are many changes company about such as pay and benefits. You have to be very flexible to work for this company. I am a single parent to 3 kids and need stability with employment.
okay pay!
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 19, 2017
for it to be an insurance company, the insurance sucks! They don't like to work with your other schedules and it has been bought out twice in the past 3 years
Cons
hours change daily
excellent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 19, 2017
was a great place to work, customer service was outstanding and i loved the company but there wasn't any advancement, so school was my next option ...
Good people doing good things.
Inbound Call / Member Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 19, 2017
I love this job. I don't just resolve concerns, I touch people's lives. Every day I go home with at least one story of how I restored someone who felt helpless or spent an extra ten minutes on the phone with them (don't tell my boss), because I was the only one this week who took that time.
Pros
Changing lives, great pay.
Cons
What you you take away at the end of the day can leave you overwhelmed, More should be invested in ongoing training.
Challenging place to work
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAApril 18, 2017
Great company to work for but management keeps on changing. Coming in to work with a lot of changes is not new, so be prepared. Overall, it's a great company to work for.. just be prepared for anything!
Pros
Potlucks, Overtime opportunity
Cons
micromanagement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optum. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8