Position: Mechanic (hourly employee, non-exempt)
Department Name: Maintenance
Reports to: Maintenance Manager
Position General Description:
Under the general supervision of the Maintenance Manager, the Mechanic is responsible for a variety of power plant systems and equipment.
This position is primarily responsible for the preventive and corrective mechanical maintenance of equipment associated with the Gas Turbines, Steam Turbine, HRSGs, Boilers, Generators, and all support systems, including all plant auxiliary systems.
Ancillary duties will include, but not be limited to, on-the-job and classroom training, safety and environmental compliance, filling in for other job classifications, and other tasks in support of the mission of the plant.
The primary responsibility of this position is to conduct maintenance safely, reliably, efficiently, and in full compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
The candidate must be extremely self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- A High School or Vocational School diploma is required.
- On-the-job experience in an industrial environment, or equivalent education and experience.
- Knowledge of power plant equipment such as motors, pumps, boilers, turbines, generators, fans, conveyors, mixers, etc.
- Basic knowledge/ability to understand fundamental principles related to Physics, Mathematics, heat transfer and fluid flow, thermodynamics, and metallurgy.
- Ability to understand and read mechanical and electrical drawings such as P&IDs, schematics, and arrangements.
- Knowledge of power plant safety, especially in areas such as chemical handling, high energy systems, lock out tag out, confined spaces, incipient fire suppression, first aid, rotating machinery, heavy equipment operations, etc.
- Knowledge/ability to master and apply the fundamentals of personal computer operation, e.g., basic word processing, basic spreadsheets, and electronic mail.
- Ability to perform non-code MIG/TIG/Stick welding is a plus.
- Ability to understand and perform shaft and equipment alignments.
- Ability to use basic hand tools, portable electric and pneumatic tools, basic rigging equipment such as winches, hoists, and slings; and implements such as lances, shovels, pry bars, etc.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend technical information.
- Ability and willingness to make fair decisions, to exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with others, and to receive and originate clear and accurate communications.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of others.
- Ability to observe hazards and avoid accidents by correctly anticipating the consequences of actions personally performed or performed by others.
- Ability to speak and understand the English language.
- Normal health, physique, and sensory functions, including color perception, near/distant visual acuity, hearing and pulmonary functions, as indicated by a pre-employment physical and subsequent medical examinations performed by the Company-designated physician.
- Ability to work under unusual and special conditions that can arise in a Natural Gas fired Power Plant.
- Must be able to pass respirator fit tests and to use respiratory protective equipment or self contained breathing apparatus at all times.
- Ability to perform all duties associated with power plant maintenance which includes bending, lifting, reaching, working on elevated platforms and ladders, working in confined spaces, wet and muddy areas, uneven surfaces, and working at significant heights, including catwalks and deck grating. Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform all duties in a power plant environment which includes heat, stairs, ramps, uneven walking surfaces, noise, vibration, and dust.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- The Mechanic will report to the Maintenance Manager
- The Mechanic will direct and monitor the job performance of contractors when required.
- This position will be required to have call-out responsibilities and extended hours past normal shift as needed for unplanned and planned activities.
- Must be able to travel for periodic specialized offsite training.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Disassemble, Repair, and Reassemble equipment, including working with bearings, gears, belts/sheaves, etc.
2 Troubleshoots problems with equipment and systems to identify root cause of failure.
3. Provides welding, cutting, and similar metal-working functions.
4. Performs preventive maintenance tasks on equipment and systems.
5. Provides installation and retrofit services for equipment and systems.
6. Assists Operations with various systems, including start-ups, shut-downs, troubleshooting, optimization, etc.
7. Performs functional testing of plant systems and components. Interprets acceptability of data in comparison with established standards or sound power plant practices.
8. Interfaces with the plant CMMS systems for work order information, close-outs, parts inventory and ordering, etc.
9. Performs duties within the plant lock-out/tag-out, confined space, and other safety programs.
10. Participates in accident and near-miss investigations, writing and using procedures, participates in safety team and plant improvement meetings, etc.
11. Aggressively maintain a safe working environment to include good housekeeping practices of assigned work area and comply with all applicable environmental, health and safety policies.
12. Handle Hazardous Materials and Waste according to applicable regulations and in a safe and environmentally sensitive manner.
13. Provides advice and counsel to other team managers and personnel regarding the technical and administrative conduct of shift operations.
14. Communicates with other Company personnel on site and at other locations. Interfaces with and represents the Company in its relations and communications with the public, steam and power customers, vendors, contractors, regulators, and other non-Company personnel.
15. Communicates with and supports the Administration, Safety, Health and Environmental, and other departments in fulfilling their goals and objectives.
16. May be required to monitor contractors on specific tasks during outages or plant modifications.
17. This position's designated work area is the entire plant site.
- This job specification is not all-inclusive. Incumbents will be expected to follow other instructions, and perform other related duties, as required by their supervisor.
Indeed - 19 months ago