Orange County Department of Education Employee Reviews

Excellent benefits and stability
Specialist/Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 17, 2017
This was a friendly work environment. Orange County Department of Education provides excellent benefits and there is a lot of opportunity to move and promote within the company.
great place to work
Exceptional Student Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2017
Great place to work. Long hours to complete what was required.
They provided excellent training to all staff. They provided good working conditions with the necessary supplies to do the job.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours, paperwork
Interesting and at times stressful.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 9, 2017
I enjoyed my job with Orange County Public Schools. I was able to be creative and was in fact encouraged by my principal to do so. The most stressful part of the job was the assessment used to measure teacher performance. The last one I worked under was unfair and the cause of teachers resigning. I submitted my retirement as a result of working under the stress this process created. I would not go back and work there or any other school system with such an approach to evaluating teachers,
Cons
Teacher evaluation process
Orange County Schools was a pleasure to work for.
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 8, 2017
Provided one on one help with 7th graders and ESE students. Assisted teachers with their classrooms and taught when teachers were absent. Provided assistance and support to the 7th grade team
Pros
Loved to help children learn
Cons
Laid off because of economic crisis 2008
Tedious but satisfying work in a great environment
FULL TIME MAINTENANC E & CUSTODIAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 7, 2017
On a typical day with OCPS I was tasked with groundskeeping and monitoring school cleanliness. I took care cleaning classrooms, gynasiums, offices and hallways. I was also tasked with replacing, repairing and moving furniture on a daily basis. I was part of the lunch duty crew which meant assisting the students during lunch as well as keeping the lunchroom clean during and after all lunches.The workplace environment was great, I had healthy relationships with all teachers, administrators and fellow service employees. My interactions with the students also went quite smoothly, which helped because I had planned on being an educator in the future. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing any biochemical clean ups. When you work in a school with lunchrooms and bathrooms, all kinds of accidents happen. They best part of the job, however, was being able to build relationships with students and faculty. I took this job hoping to socially interact and build a good understanding of the school system so that I may one day be a well-versed educator for OCPS.
Pros
School board exposure, health benefits, weekends and holidays off and paid vacation time.
Cons
Low pay
Orange County was a great place to work, good benefits & nice people to work with.
ESOL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2017
OCPS provided an excellent work place and environment. They also provided training for the obtaining of ESOL certification.
The supervisors did a great job. I was able to teach at both
Orlando Tech and Winter Park Tech. My coworkers were also
great and very helpful, since I had not taught ESOL or ABE
prior to this. We had very good benefits and an adequate
salary.
nice place to work.
Assistant Director of Student Applications (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 1, 2017
Nothing new really happening here in the IT world. But a good blame free environment. Good place to close out a career, but not for the upward mobile in the IT worold.
lost in translation
Physical therapist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 29, 2017
I was one therapist covering THIRTY TWO schools. I unfortunately was not able to see the benefit to my students when only seeing them for therapy 1 x month for 30 minutes
productive
teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32801July 25, 2017
Loved working in a classroom and with the faculty. Dealing with disgruntled parents and government policies became tiresome. Allowed many opportunities to grow.
Learnt a lot
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 24, 2017
Exiting Place to Learn,Particularly from Kids with Background from different Cultures.. I am still much intereted in the Teaching profession if i have the Opportunity,maybe at College Level
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Stressful
Fantastic rehab team, high energy, positive work environment
School Therapist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 12, 2017
Worked daily with ages pre-K through 6th grade. Worked in both the classroom setting and in a large gym with OT/PT/SLP. Developed a aquatic program with an onsite indoor, accessible heated pool. Learned so much from a team of seasoned therapists about a large variety of diagnoses. Developed IEP goals, documentation, daily communication with teachers, family meetings, family training.
Pros
Fantastic work environment, great school facility, staff and administration were excellent
Cons
having to leave this job due to need to move to another state
Great place to learn and grow
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 10, 2017
I enjoy teaching its what I love to do. OCPS provided me that opportunity and I'm grateful. It is a great place to learn and grow. I would recommend OCPS to any beginning teacher.
Work Place Opinion
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 8, 2017
My typical work day begins by preparing for my students, making sure all is ready to begin a successful school day. I have learned to be prepared and organized in order to make the most of my day. The usual workplace culture is professional. The hardest part of the job is not always having enough time to cover content material based on the schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping students achieve personal and institutional goals and gains.
Pros
Working with young people
Cons
Unrealistic expectations for teachers and students
Good place to work especially if you have a family.
Westside Tech School Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLJuly 6, 2017
I had an overall good experience working for Orange County Public Schools. I worked with a great team of people and learned a lot. There were lots of obstacles to overcome in order to get my job done, but I had lots of support from my local managers.
Paraprofessional
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 4, 2017
$10 per hour is not reasonable compensation for the educational or professional expectations but it's a secure job with excellent benefits. A lot of time is spent on student discipline. That's what the day is like and the hardest part of the job as well. The most enjoyable part is connecting with some of the kids and staff. The workplace culture is what you make of it. I guess it's a means to an end.
Pros
The ability to help kids while receiving a steady paycheck, good benefits, & free medical insurance for full time employees.
Cons
The pay and the stress.
Productive and challenging workplace
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 3, 2017
My typical day consisted of managing the records warehouse,multitasking multiply job duties and responsibilities. I learned to effectively and proficiently work with upper level management and attorneys. The workplace culture was stressful at times but very rewarding. The hardest part of the job was continuously having to improve my work processes. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a close knit small department setting.
school setting
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 3, 2017
This was a school setting that was extremely big compared to the eastern schools up north. Many people leave at the end the school year due to the shear size of the school system
Great Experience
ESOL Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Apopka, FLJuly 3, 2017
Orange County is a Great School system. Working with children can be very challenging. Great job for people with small children because of the work hours. Very low pay.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Could be better paid
Working with students
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 26, 2017
Being a substitute teacher is never an easy job. The company was ok to work for. You were pretty much left on your most of the time. the pay was horrible and there aren't really no other benefits.
Great benefits!
N/A (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJune 21, 2017
If you're looking for a job with excellent benefits and job security this would be a great place to work for. Days can typically can be fast pace and other days it can be slow, which gives you the opportunity to catch up on other projects. As for management, there are a few good managers, that have vision, leadership, and great people skills. The work culture is a bit relaxed depending on the area of the company you work in.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very poor management, no vision, no leadership