Orange County Department of Education

Orange County Department of Education Employer Reviews

Customer Service is a skill that I have mastered for over 25 years. I am a motivated professional specializing in superior office administration.
CERTIFIED YOGA INSTRUCTOR-LIFE COACH (Former Employee), Orlando,FloridaDecember 8, 2014
Pros: mastery of customer service and highly organized.
Cons: my personality can become stubborn in order to get the job done.
In an extremely busy atmosphere, I am the Director of First Impressions by greeting everyone who enters our environment including families, residents, employees, vendors and many others; while managing multi-line phones, filing of important documents, assisting the Executive Director, Marketing, Clinical and Human Resources and our residents on a consistent basis. In the face of adversity, my temperament is calm and creative and it is my efficiency and my smile that is extremely effective and endearing to others. My track records includes two "associate of the month" awards within a six month period that was presented to me and voted by my team members including management.
Educational Workplace and informing
Manager, School Food Services (Current Employee), orlando flNovember 28, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: n/a
Resume explains everything in detail great platform for teaching staff to be more professional culinarians and how to inventory and receive food items and be effective and efficient in daily operations
duties, education, leadership, co-workers and quality of organization
Administrative Service Specialist (Current Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 28, 2014
Pros: there is not micro management, i am free to come and go from the office as i please, sick time and vacation accumulate over time
Cons: low pay and diminishing health benefits
• Typical work day:
A. Conduct inspections before and after work performed by the trades man and contractors
B. Walk through new and renovated building projects and generated punch list to the contractor for corrections needed
C. Create work order request to trades man
D. Attend meetings to help coordinate and monitor large projects by contractors
E. Make decisions to schedule the day to day activity of preventative maintenance team
F. Write warranty request to address latent defects on projects
G. Create material request to order material and equipment needed for minor projects
H. Maintain inventory of used equipment salvaged from buildings designated for demolition
• What I learned over the course of my employment at OCPS:
A. Use of Business Systems Platforms Such as SAP to check team member activity, progress and create work order requests
B. Communication within and across departments
C. Organizing daily activities on spreadsheet
• Management levels:
 Vertical organizational structure:
I. General Manager
II. Sr. Supervisor
III. Supervisor
IV. Trades Technician 2 Administrative
V. Trades Technician 1 Administrative (My position)
• Co-workers:
 The operations and maintenance department is comprised of skill trades man ranging from the following:
I. Energy management (field and remote)
II. HVAC Mechanics
III. Communication technician (safety and fire prevention)
IV. Electricians
V. Carpenters
VI. Masonry
VII. Boiler technicians
• Difficulties in job:
Managing limited resources due to low level of funding relative to the cost of projects which need to be completed
• Most enjoyable part of my job:
1. I have the leeway to schedule the work that I need to perform from day to day
2. I have the privilege of playing a role in deciding how to best undertake projects and organizing the written procedure for the tasks performed by trades man.
Rewarding
Exceptional Student Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 26, 2014
Great job love the experience love the people love the parents
OCPS
SR Finance Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 25, 2014
OCPS is a great place to work and provide benefits. I work under the Food And Nutrition department. The hardest part of my job was to hear parents call and say they can't afford to pay for school lunch due to job loss etc.
Productive and pleasant place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 15, 2014
I worked for the Orange County Public Schools system as a substitute teacher for about 12 years. I mostly filled in for Elementary, Math, Science, and Reading. I truly enjoy working with various groups of students and would like to continue to do so.
Structured Environment
Algebra II, Statistics Instructor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 13, 2014
Pros: teaching/student engagement
Cons: office politics, if you are not tenured
Good place to work with benefits. Each school climate is differenent depending on the Administration. Some schools have dominate Principals others have an office that runs itself.

However, as an instructor you spend most of time with students.
A typical day includes lecturing on subject,quizzing students, grading papers and preparing for upcoming classes.

Most enjoyable is the "positive feedback" from students.
Great!
Counseling (Former Employee), Orange CountyOctober 5, 2014
Wonderful organization. Professional environment encouraging and motivating youth.
A great employer with a good benefits package.
ESOL Instructor (Former Employee), OrlandoSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: acknowledgement and appreciation.
Cons: lack of sleep.
I thoroughly enjoyed working as an instructor for Orange County Public Schools. I would have loved to continue working for them, but our family had to move to another area of the state. Every day was different with its own set of challenges, but support from administration and other teachers and cooperation from students made it all worthwhile.
Rewarding educational setting
Security Project Management (Former Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: the ability to grant and install some security enhancements
Cons: the inability to complete, many security enhancements due to budgets and political opposition.
OCPS was a rewarding and satisfying career. It is the 10th largest school district in the US with approximately 200 schools.

Security demands increased each and every year due to recent school Security breaches around the country however the Security budget and and man power was decreased due to other management priorities making the the tasks and the ability to secure those schools challenging.

A typical day included answering approximately 20-30 voice mails from the over night alarm monitoring company addressing alarm issues, coordinating those repairs and then addressing the monitoring of approximately 5000 surveillance cameras and approximately 700 card readers and the maintenance.

One of the major lessons learned was the demand for additional school security and the vulnerability of the schools when for years the thought process was to open the schools to the parents and guests.

New Security Management was recently hired and the re-organized the dept. therefore all present Security Management contracts were not renewed leaving the entire department in the hands of newly, inexperienced personnel. All co-workers were forced to acquire other careers.

The hardest part of the job was to deny priority security requests of schools because of the lack of adequate personnel and budget.

The most rewarding part of the job was the satisfaction seen on the faces of the school personnel when a security enhancement was installed and completed. It was also satisfying to see and understand that the security enhancements when used were actually working and embraced by the parents and visitors.
OCPS
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 27, 2014
OCPS provides students the proper environment to grow and develop the proper skillsets to succeed.
My Review
Finance Clerk III (Current Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 18, 2014
During the day I go to work and do my job well. I learn everyday in my job, because things come up everyday to solve. My co-workers are fun and respectful and hard workers. The hardest part of the job is when you need to solve something and you are waiting for part of what you need from another department and not getting as soon as you would like to. The most enjoyable is to get my job done well.
okay place to work
planner (Former Employee), orlando flSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: benefits and retirement
Cons: advancement poor, large just a number
large company not alot of upward mobility
great benefits
beware if you are injuried will be treated like a monster
Productive day teaching children skills necessary to be successful in Kindergarten.
Teacher's Assistant/Guidance Clerk (Current Employee), Windermere, FloridaAugust 5, 2014
Pros: healthcare insurance, retirement
Cons: do not paid in summer months, salary
To provide a structured and a organized classroom for students. To apply positive discipline techniques to help students learn to make appropriate decisions. You can achieve a good working environment working together as a team. The most enjoyable part of the day is watching the students attain the skills necessary to be successful.
This is a great place to work and better the lives of students in the school system.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 17, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits and job security.
Cons: there was no work over the summer months.
A typical day at work included meeting the students at the bus, walking them to class, and assisting them and the teachers throughout the day. I learned how to be patient at this job. I worked one-on-one with a girl with autism, and she required lots of patience. I grew to love her like my own. The management was knowledgeable and always available to offer more training. My co-workers were like family. Sometimes there was too much drama, but I truly loved them all. The hardest part of the job was was sometimes having to deal with one or a few of our students having a behavior issue. This was never fun for any involved. The most enjoyable and rewarding part of this job was seeing a student overcome an obstacle, learn a new skill, and grow to love us like family. Nothing compares to this!
A diverse s hool system with highly qualifed educators who believe in student achievement.
Educator, Placement Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 5, 2014
Pros: free trainings and inservices
Cons: 25 minute lunch breaks
While working at OCPS, I was constantly included in decision making to improve student performance. I was provided "on going" inservice trainings to continue certification:which enabled me to learn the latest educational practices. My colleagues in my department worked closely together to determine ways to better meet the needs of our students. The most challenging part of my job was developing strategies to teach students at all academic levels. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with students on a daily basis both in and out of the classroom setting.
OCPS' focus is to be the top producer of successful students in the nation.
Cross Country Boys Head Coach (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 9, 2014
OCPS has systems in place to promote student achievement through a dedicated team. The schools seek to create a safe learning environment. Our schools regularly participate in community activities.
Fun to work with the students
Chemistry teacher (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 8, 2014
Pros: great health benefits, holidays off
Cons: the new observation system to evaluate teachers is a waste of time
Teaching can be great, students can drive you crazy but overall it's fun to get to know them.
Great place to work!
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee), Orange, VAApril 15, 2014
Good place with a great support system for new teachers!
Great place to be and start career.
Favorite Employer
SCHOOL CLERK, SUPPORT SERVICES CLERK (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 12, 2014
Orange County Public Schools is one of the best employers you could ask for. They treated me very well and I truely enjoyed my experience there.

1 2 3 4