Orange County Government Employee Reviews

Good job but poor leadership
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYSeptember 20, 2017
When I first started the job was great ! But towards the end things went south ! New employees are 35 hour instead of 40 and with each contract we have to pay more for our benefits
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Short breaks and disgruntled employees
Great
Field Specialist Trainee/ Water Reclamation (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 25, 2017
Hard work, busy, had the opportunity to learn different skills and the use of various tools and equipment. Taught me about responsibility and dependability. A great working environment
Fast paced work atmosphere working with the public in person and by phone
SeniorPermit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 23, 2017
Requires attention to detail, patience and the ability to work with the public . Requires multi-tasking and the ability to prioritize. There is a lot of pressure to complete tasks. A professional atmosphere must be maintained. Rarely required to work overtime. Most of the time the job was understaffed making it stressful. Not much support from management. There is job stability, good benefits including paid life insurance equal to your annual salary.
Room for advancement great benefits
Equipment Operator III (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 13, 2017
Orange county gov is a good place to work you move up quickly the county has a large variety of jobs. They provide traing to obtain your Cdls. Class A or B
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 10, 2017
Outstanding place to work, not the most up to date though in terms of equipment. Technologically behind the times. I would recommend Orange County to anyone getting into law enforcement.
Pros
Law enforcement
Cons
Law enforcement
great job. run by incompitent people with agendas not related to their job.
Animal Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 20, 2017
Both manager and training officer are very flawed individuals but as long as you followed their every last request even when you knew it to be illegal it was the best job ever.
government work
Development Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 9, 2017
mismanaged, red tape, inflexible, low pay, good benefits, limited opportunity, overly stressful, very politically charged atmosphere that works against anyone who is not a Republican, as Orange County may be primarily a democrat dominant population, but the gerry-mandering of districts created Republican control of a democratic populated county and this is disadvantageous to working class individuals, only wealthy Republicans will advance
Pros
benefit plans
Cons
lazy co-workers
Productive and fun day while working with persons with disability.
ESE program Assistant Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 6, 2017
I enjoy working at Magnolia, the morale is explosive while the staff is hardworking,helpful and shows empathy when a colleagues is going thru trials and tribulations. I learned that everyone has a disabilities but when we persevere we/you can overcome anything.The most enjoyable part of being a job coach is when a student get hired.
Good company to work for that has good benefits.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 2, 2017
Has been a nice company to work for. I've only been employed with them for only 2.5 months. The hardest part of the job maybe having to sit in traffic due to an accident.
Productive and fun place with extra curricular social activities
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCFebruary 17, 2017
It is a typical government office with high volume of work and the stress that comes with it. However the government office has ways to ease up on the load of work by creating or coming up with social activities that enhance business relations with co-workers and efficiency with production in general
Pros
social activities to enhance activities
Cons
normal office persona conflicts that derive from indoctrination and biases
Correctional Officer
Correctional Officer/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 5, 2016
It is rather difficult to describe a day in the life of this occupation. A lot of what is done in law enforcement is typically documented these days and can be looked up with google.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Actual mortality rate after retirement for all Law Enforcement is 5 yrs after they retire.
Productive Workplace
Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 24, 2016
Orange County Government is a very calm place to work. This has probably been the best job I've ever had. The supervisors were always helpful and walked by your desk everyday to make sure you were okay and if you needed help with anything. All of the staff conducted themselves in a very professional manner at all times. Orange County is also a fun environment at times especially during the holidays.
Pros
Casual Fridays
Little Room For Advancement
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Goshen, NYJuly 11, 2016
The state only provides a parole officer exam once every four years. Promotions are available within but only during the times of the exams that are offered.
Cons
Unpaid lunches resulting in 35 hour work weeks
Great Retirement plan with Affordable benefits
Background Examiner (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 8, 2016
Great place to work, but limited job advancement opportunities in some divisions. Great benefits and retirement plan.
Fun place to work
Fiscal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 23, 2016
I learned a great deal of information regarding accounting skills, and had a great time working for this organization.
Good pay good benefits
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 1, 2016
I worked with the county a year ago as a road repair maintenance I had a good experience working there great benefits healthcare I also meet alot of great people that I still talk to today. The pay was also good but no over time getting overtime was very rare the management was also not good and the process for which they hired you was confusing being interviewed by 20 people in a room and they all asking you personally questions I had better jobs that pay more with better benefits that didn't ask for so much but I guess that's why it's a government job they ask things that had nothing to do with the job was very odd I can't speak for all the different divisions but the maintenance supervisors were some of the worst but I loved my coworkers
Pros
Pay
Very Busy Environment
Building Administrator (Current Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 28, 2015
Busy but the day goes by fast and at the end of it there is this wonderful feeing of accomplishment.
Benefits are good and people are nice but there are a lot of politics in place and it is nearly impossible to let people go even if their performance is not satisfactory.
Pros
Ability to work with people
Cons
Politics
Good job security
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2015
Great benefits and working environment. There is always something to make the day interesting. Thankfully, the people who work there make the job enjoyable.
Great Job & benefits
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 26, 2015
I loved my job & never a boring moment. Traveled all over Orlando and than some beyond limits of not more than 50 miles past Orlando areas. Although your work days were planned to speak of, at times they would change & you did not know what to expect. It was challenging & rewarding when you accomplished a job well done. Recognized by yours peers as well as some supervisors. It was a pleasure working for OC & I enjoyed it as a maintenance tech. My co-workers in both locations were sad to see me go because they knew that I would always put out more than my share, 110% plus. And would always give a helping hand regardless of what it entailed.
"NO" was not in my vocabulary.
Pros
Good hours, pay, days off, benefits.
Cons
Negative attitude from some co-workers or their work habits.
Not a dull moment...
Certified Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 3, 2015
This was my first time working in this particular field; I was scared and excited all in one. I quickly became to love my job. Everyday was something new and interesting. I work with those who had mild to severe mental health issues. It was challenging and exciting all at the same time. Yes, it was a dangerous job, but I became skilled in learning and adapting to different personalities. My communication and interpersonal skills were key to my success .
Pros
Room for growth and learning new things...
Cons
Low job morale; low pay...