Orange County Government

Orange County Government Employer Reviews

Excellent
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee), Orlando FloridaJuly 6, 2014
Pros: excellent work family.
Cons: politics on the job.
A typical work day is busy but enjoyable. I have learned about how politics shape a city. My management skills have been sharpened by the best managers. I have excellent co-workers. I want to do so much but not enough time to do it. The most enjoyable friends that I have made in this position.
Improved Customer Service skills
Sr. Coordinator (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJune 11, 2014
Gained valuable experience in the customer service department and assisting other departments to meet goals.
Pleasant, professional place to work, salary ok but did not get a raise for the last 3 years because of the economy.
Graphic Production Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 1, 2014
Pros: no age discrimination; good benefits, decent salary
Cons: manager at graphic reproduction spent a lot of time sleeping at his desk, he played favorites, very poor management: one co-worker constantly causing trouble for other workers.
I worked from May 20, 1996 to January, 2006 at Orange County Graphic Reproduction; in January 2006 I transferred to the Orange County Copy Center. My reason for transferring was (1) poor management at Graphic Reproduction (that manager left several months after I transferred); (2) A co-worker who was constantly stirring up trouble for the other workers – more... (this person's employment was terminated months after I transferred, and she left a bad taste in everyone's mouth). Too much strife and fighting. The atmosphere at the Copy Center was much more calm and peaceful, and the lady I worked with was very nice and easy to get along with. She retired in 2010 and I trained her replacement, who was also nice and easy to work with, and who caught on very quickly.

My reason for leaving Orange County Government on April 29, 2011 is; I retired. After I retired I took care of my husband, who had cancer; he passed away in September 2012. I am now interested in obtaining a part time job using my typing skills and learning new things such as InDesign and the Creative Suite. I catch on easily and would have no trouble learning these programs and applying them to a job. – less
My career within government
Senior Fiscal Coordinator (Current Employee), Orlando, FLApril 15, 2014
Pros: stability
Cons: changes in benefits
Public Service is a service that is performed for the benefit of the public. Professionalism relates to having moral character and high standards. Professionalism in Public Service is setting reasonable boundaries illustrated by ethical behaviors to provide citizens necessary services through education, public safety and other needs for the good of – more... the general public while adhering legal and fiscal restraints. Various levels of government provide Public Service. Character and attitudes are important, as services are made available to the public.
As a government employee for the past twenty years, the experiences of providing public service to local citizens, professionalism is a major requirement. Fairness, consistency and ethics are necessary when implementing the many governmental policy changes to a growing community. Public Service is to advocate the best use of the government’s ability to provide for the needs of the citizens. Feasibly studies to determine the services that most effectively meet the needs of the people are an example of having high standards, which benefit the community. Performing Public Service in a professional manner means providing service at the highest level while illustrating morals and ethical values to represent high standards for its government. Also, being professional in public service is providing customer service that is timely, accurate and accessible as well as efficient to the public; which should be performed with the highest integrity and professional manner.
Key characteristics to performing professionally in public service are communication and problem solving skills, which provide quality, and demonstrate empathy with integrity. These types of behavior and characteristics are crucial when engaging in public service. Professionalism in public service is significant to present not only behaviors of high standards in work ethics but also incorporate characteristics and concern for a common good.
Public Service is services performed at various levels of government to benefit the public. Professionalism in Public Service is establishing services with the appropriate work ethics that illustrate, as the services are made available to its public. – less
Productive, fun place to work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 15, 2014
Pros: left early before a holiday, birthday celebrations, fun work atmosphere.
Cons: not good benefits, ok salary
When I arrived at the Orange County Facilities Division for my assignment as an Administrative Specialist, I was met with a very negative and low moral work environment. The reason I was told later was the Admin. Specialist before me, treated the staff very poorly, did not meet their work requests, was very rude to them in person and very rude to customers – more... on the phone. I couldn't believe she was allowed to get away with this type of behavior for so long, but she was due to retire and I was her replacement. I made a decision after being there a few months that I would change the environment into a positive one. However I needed the help of my Manager. I suggested that I would recognize each staff member birthdays, but in groups because there were too many and we would have a lunch and a cake. I also suggested to our manager that if he was willing, he could appreciate everyone for their hard work and efforts during that time. Well it worked and staff who never wanted to come in for lunch, came in. It was very awarding and a positive change started to take place. To me, it matters how you treat your employees. Sometimes you can't make a difference in anyone, but most times you can in someone. Did I forget to mention that we had a kitchen and I did most of the cooking. – less
Productive and fun place to work
Animal Services Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 21, 2013
Great place to work...friendly staff and great group of people to work with!
learned A lot
Field Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2013
staff meeting prep trucks pick up equipment drive to job-site find and repair or replace pipe
Excellent work security poor job growth
Office Manager/Recreation Specialist (Former Employee), orlando, flMay 31, 2013
Pros: nice to have paid holidays
Cons: uniforms sucked
job security was great but poor for personal and work gorwth
Steady workflow, paying attention to details are a must.
Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee), Orlando, FloridaMay 17, 2013
Job security as for lay-offs
A decent pay
Department Management does not support employees
Benefits have declined over the past 4 years
Excellant place for education
Park Technician (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 25, 2013
Pros: learn about communication
Cons: work in extreme weather conditions
Promoting a positive Company image through the development of good community relations.
Effectively leading the staff, while creating a positive work environment;Ensuring standards for quality customer service are met, for clients and guess.
Fast Pace
Fiscal Coordinator (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 23, 2012
Pros: great working hours
Cons: insurance benefits
Orange County is a fast pace agency to work for. Everything is subject to change.
Excellent place to intern, with lots of room for individual growth
Recertification Intern (Current Employee), Orlando, FloridaSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: great birthday celebrations
Working at Orange County Government as an intern I do alot of clerical work, correspondence, and recertification application review. I learned how to be efficient at this job with microsoft programs and other databases. My co-workers are the best. They are helpful and very polite. Everyday there maybe a challenge but there is nothing that is that hard – more... to get done. I love the site-visits the most. – less
Management really don't have clue what floor staff is doing.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2012
Pros: decent salary
Cons: no good leadership.
A typical day is being assigned to a post, releiving the previous shift, a briefing from previous shift. Prior to assigned post direct supervior start off with the negative things that he or she finds with the shift not really directing the behavior to any one officer causing negative feeling for the rest of the day. Co-workers complain among themselves – more... concerning statements made by superviors instead of addressing it to the supervisor. The hardest part of the job is respect among staff and supervisors. There is no consistency among shifts or between supervisors. Each supervisors make up their own rules when there is policies to follow in the IOP's. The most enjoyable thing about the job is that I have 4 years and 5 months before retirement. – less
Moderate to fast pace diverse work environment.
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), Orange County, FloridaJune 17, 2012
Pros: great environment, flexible work hours allowed
Cons: healthcare costly
Great place to work. Culture is hospitality, work is engaging and purposeful and at times challenging.

Every day there is something new. People are commtted but not free of issues, which makes problem solving skills a must.
A good program sure to have exposed mw to the national trend
Case Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 11, 2012
Pros: independance, decision making, honorary time keeping
Cons: lack of profound leadership.
Initially this job offered advancement in a pioneering program. My days were initially filled with training that stimulated my mind as well as challenged my boundaries as one committed to social justice. Whereas my primary office was at the courthouse in a temporary office space as we grew I would have my own office with a window and a view. I might – more... start my day at the county jail sitting besides a probation judge or in the cells interviewing perspective felons. Nonetheless, I would always would end up in my office writing reports and making phone calls. The bulk of my time I spent developing contacts with services to aid our drug court participants in their recovery I also made frequent visits to treatment facilities to gather performance data.

My co-workers were a hodgepodge of clerks and attorneys forming a coalition to create the bases of the program. Thus in a courthouse this ended up often with those versed in victim rights working alongside those like me steeped in defensive advocacy. My days were never boring and the drug court coordinator did his best to ameliorate the differences of opinion about the direction of the program. Thus I was invited to draft, implement and oversee the practices of marketing the program to judges and attorneys within the courthouse. The title case manager was ill-suited for the diversity in the nature of what I did as such.

Yet this suited my skills as I maintain an adroit ability to adapt to changing conditions. – less
Orange County Government
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 9, 2012
I put together a lot of presentations (PowerPoint) as Risk Management did a lot of employee education concerning safety, and worker compensation laws. This was a great place to work very rarely was there pressure there, unfortunately I relocated to Jacksonville, if not I would still be working there.
Political atmosphere
Support Specialist - Facilities (Former Employee), Orlando FLMay 21, 2012
Pros: great hours
Cons: political atmosphere
Loved co-workers, not the political toe tapping. Good hours, I had a large fiscal responsibility to the tax payers of the County and I took that very seriously.