Orange County Government Employee Reviews

Great Retirement plan with Affordable benefits
Background Examiner (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 8, 2016
Great place to work, but limited job advancement opportunities in some divisions. Great benefits and retirement plan.
Good pay good benefits
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 1, 2016
I worked with the county a year ago as a road repair maintenance I had a good experience working there great benefits healthcare I also meet alot of great people that I still talk to today. The pay was also good but no over time getting overtime was very rare the management was also not good and the process for which they hired you was confusing being interviewed by 20 people in a room and they all asking you personally questions I had better jobs that pay more with better benefits that didn't ask for so much but I guess that's why it's a government job they ask things that had nothing to do with the job was very odd I can't speak for all the different divisions but the maintenance supervisors were some of the worst but I loved my coworkers
Pros
Pay
Great Job & benefits
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 26, 2015
I loved my job & never a boring moment. Traveled all over Orlando and than some beyond limits of not more than 50 miles past Orlando areas. Although your work days were planned to speak of, at times they would change & you did not know what to expect. It was challenging & rewarding when you accomplished a job well done. Recognized by yours peers as well as some supervisors. It was a pleasure working for OC & I enjoyed it as a maintenance tech. My co-workers in both locations were sad to see me go because they knew that I would always put out more than my share, 110% plus. And would always give a helping hand regardless of what it entailed.
"NO" was not in my vocabulary.
Pros
Good hours, pay, days off, benefits.
Cons
Negative attitude from some co-workers or their work habits.
Productive Workplace
Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 24, 2016
Orange County Government is a very calm place to work. This has probably been the best job I've ever had. The supervisors were always helpful and walked by your desk everyday to make sure you were okay and if you needed help with anything. All of the staff conducted themselves in a very professional manner at all times. Orange County is also a fun environment at times especially during the holidays.
Pros
Casual Fridays
Little Room For Advancement
Principal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Goshen, NYJuly 11, 2016
The state only provides a parole officer exam once every four years. Promotions are available within but only during the times of the exams that are offered.
Cons
Unpaid lunches resulting in 35 hour work weeks
Very Busy Environment
Building Administrator (Current Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 28, 2015
Busy but the day goes by fast and at the end of it there is this wonderful feeing of accomplishment.
Benefits are good and people are nice but there are a lot of politics in place and it is nearly impossible to let people go even if their performance is not satisfactory.
Pros
Ability to work with people
Cons
Politics
Management really don't have clue what floor staff is doing.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2012
A typical day is being assigned to a post, releiving the previous shift, a briefing from previous shift. Prior to assigned post direct supervior start off with the negative things that he or she finds with the shift not really directing the behavior to any one officer causing negative feeling for the rest of the day. Co-workers complain among themselves concerning statements made by superviors instead of addressing it to the supervisor. The hardest part of the job is respect among staff and supervisors. There is no consistency among shifts or between supervisors. Each supervisors make up their own rules when there is policies to follow in the IOP's. The most enjoyable thing about the job is that I have 4 years and 5 months before retirement.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
no good leadership.
Good job security
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 2, 2015
Great benefits and working environment. There is always something to make the day interesting. Thankfully, the people who work there make the job enjoyable.
Fun place to work
Fiscal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 23, 2016
I learned a great deal of information regarding accounting skills, and had a great time working for this organization.
Orange County Government
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 9, 2012
I put together a lot of presentations (PowerPoint) as Risk Management did a lot of employee education concerning safety, and worker compensation laws. This was a great place to work very rarely was there pressure there, unfortunately I relocated to Jacksonville, if not I would still be working there.
Steady workflow, paying attention to details are a must.
Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaMay 17, 2013
Job security as for lay-offs
A decent pay
Department Management does not support employees
Benefits have declined over the past 4 years
Productive, fun place to work
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 15, 2014
When I arrived at the Orange County Facilities Division for my assignment as an Administrative Specialist, I was met with a very negative and low moral work environment. The reason I was told later was the Admin. Specialist before me, treated the staff very poorly, did not meet their work requests, was very rude to them in person and very rude to customers on the phone. I couldn't believe she was allowed to get away with this type of behavior for so long, but she was due to retire and I was her replacement. I made a decision after being there a few months that I would change the environment into a positive one. However I needed the help of my Manager. I suggested that I would recognize each staff member birthdays, but in groups because there were too many and we would have a lunch and a cake. I also suggested to our manager that if he was willing, he could appreciate everyone for their hard work and efforts during that time. Well it worked and staff who never wanted to come in for lunch, came in. It was very awarding and a positive change started to take place. To me, it matters how you treat your employees. Sometimes you can't make a difference in anyone, but most times you can in someone. Did I forget to mention that we had a kitchen and I did most of the cooking.
Pros
Left early before a holiday, Birthday celebrations, fun work atmosphere.
Cons
Not good benefits, ok salary
Pleasant, professional place to work, salary ok but did not get a raise for the last 3 years because of the economy.
Graphic Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 1, 2014
I worked from May 20, 1996 to January, 2006 at Orange County Graphic Reproduction; in January 2006 I transferred to the Orange County Copy Center. My reason for transferring was (1) poor management at Graphic Reproduction (that manager left several months after I transferred); (2) A co-worker who was constantly stirring up trouble for the other workers (this person's employment was terminated months after I transferred, and she left a bad taste in everyone's mouth). Too much strife and fighting. The atmosphere at the Copy Center was much more calm and peaceful, and the lady I worked with was very nice and easy to get along with. She retired in 2010 and I trained her replacement, who was also nice and easy to work with, and who caught on very quickly.

My reason for leaving Orange County Government on April 29, 2011 is; I retired. After I retired I took care of my husband, who had cancer; he passed away in September 2012. I am now interested in obtaining a part time job using my typing skills and learning new things such as InDesign and the Creative Suite. I catch on easily and would have no trouble learning these programs and applying them to a job.
Pros
No age discrimination; good benefits, decent salary
Cons
Manager at Graphic Reproduction spent a lot of time sleeping at his desk, he played favorites, very poor management: one co-worker constantly causing trouble for other workers.
Fast Pace
Fiscal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 23, 2012
Orange County is a fast pace agency to work for. Everything is subject to change.
Pros
great working hours
Cons
insurance benefits
My career within government
Senior Fiscal Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 15, 2014
Public Service is a service that is performed for the benefit of the public. Professionalism relates to having moral character and high standards. Professionalism in Public Service is setting reasonable boundaries illustrated by ethical behaviors to provide citizens necessary services through education, public safety and other needs for the good of the general public while adhering legal and fiscal restraints. Various levels of government provide Public Service. Character and attitudes are important, as services are made available to the public.
As a government employee for the past twenty years, the experiences of providing public service to local citizens, professionalism is a major requirement. Fairness, consistency and ethics are necessary when implementing the many governmental policy changes to a growing community. Public Service is to advocate the best use of the government’s ability to provide for the needs of the citizens. Feasibly studies to determine the services that most effectively meet the needs of the people are an example of having high standards, which benefit the community. Performing Public Service in a professional manner means providing service at the highest level while illustrating morals and ethical values to represent high standards for its government. Also, being professional in public service is providing customer service that is timely, accurate and accessible as well as efficient to the public; which should be performed with the highest integrity and professional manner.
Key characteristics to performing professionally in
  more... public service are communication and problem solving skills, which provide quality, and demonstrate empathy with integrity. These types of behavior and characteristics are crucial when engaging in public service. Professionalism in public service is significant to present not only behaviors of high standards in work ethics but also incorporate characteristics and concern for a common good.
Public Service is services performed at various levels of government to benefit the public. Professionalism in Public Service is establishing services with the appropriate work ethics that illustrate, as the services are made available to its public.
Pros
stability
Cons
changes in benefits
Not a dull moment...
Certified Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 3, 2015
This was my first time working in this particular field; I was scared and excited all in one. I quickly became to love my job. Everyday was something new and interesting. I work with those who had mild to severe mental health issues. It was challenging and exciting all at the same time. Yes, it was a dangerous job, but I became skilled in learning and adapting to different personalities. My communication and interpersonal skills were key to my success .
Pros
Room for growth and learning new things...
Cons
Low job morale; low pay...
Excellent
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando FloridaJuly 6, 2014
A typical work day is busy but enjoyable. I have learned about how politics shape a city. My management skills have been sharpened by the best managers. I have excellent co-workers. I want to do so much but not enough time to do it. The most enjoyable friends that I have made in this position.
Pros
Excellent work family.
Cons
Politics on the job.
Excellent work security poor job growth
Office Manager/Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  orlando, flMay 31, 2013
job security was great but poor for personal and work gorwth
Pros
nice to have paid holidays
Cons
uniforms sucked
Excellent place to intern, with lots of room for individual growth
Recertification Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FloridaSeptember 19, 2012
Working at Orange County Government as an intern I do alot of clerical work, correspondence, and recertification application review. I learned how to be efficient at this job with microsoft programs and other databases. My co-workers are the best. They are helpful and very polite. Everyday there maybe a challenge but there is nothing that is that hard to get done. I love the site-visits the most.
Pros
great birthday celebrations
Ever changing environment
College Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 16, 2015
Every day is different; some days slow others super busy. Co-workers are like family. This job can keep you on your toes depending on what department you work for. The most enjoyable part of the job was the set schedule. Monday through fridays and holidays off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orange County Government. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3