Orange County Register Employee Reviews

Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CANovember 3, 2017
-Paper Inserter
-Manually Move Stock with Pallet Jack
-Warehouse Cleaning and Organization
Insert News catalogs into a machine that organized mail into different county's.
Slow paced and can be stessing.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 27, 2017
Payment was very poor and was stressful enough with the work environment. Best part was working with friends and were able to keep my hopes up when the day was done.
Who knows!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 26, 2017
I had an amazing supervisor to start (she motivated us, cared about her team and was very approachable) but when the company was bought out management changed.

With the change I was stuck with an uneducated boss (literally had no idea exactly how the department worked) who would not fight for her team and would do anything the upper management wanted without question. In all honestly, I'm sure it was in fear of losing her own job and she did not want to rock the boat.

Being in sales it was easy to lose your job. The top 30% of my accounts were taken and goal was doubled for the month, I was told to hit the mark or I was gone.

I can only speak for myself but I had emails in writing with the new supervisor to save myself on certain accounts and when another team wanted a good account, the supervisor allowed them to steal the account even though it was rightfully mine.

When I found out my job was in jeopardy and unfair goals being set, HR (happened to be the new supervisors best friend) and upper management didn't want to hear what I had to say.

Supervisor made her payroll by getting people fired and adding work load to other employees.

This coming from an employee who had won several awards for sales and had never had a complaint.

Sadly, this company has changed hands so much as well as management that I honestly have no idea what the company would be like to work for now. However, good advice to follow would be to (especially in sales) get everything in writing and fight because someone may not fight for you like they should and may not have your back.
Pros
Coworkers were a joy, customer were a pleasure, lots of products to offer
Cons
Consistanly changing rules and protocal, unfair sales goals
Company is continuing to go through financial challenges
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 5, 2017
During the time I was there the company was exciting to work for. The new owners were adding sections to the paper and expanding rapidly. Unfortunately, the cost of expansion far outweighed the return in investment. There were several large layoffs and I was part of one of them. Since then the company has down sized and moved to a smaller location. The systems that were used to track customers and ads were not efficient. Too many times more than one sales person was calling on the same account.
Pros
Fun industry
Cons
Poor management
Excellent paper at the time
Editorial Page Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 29, 2017
However, like all newspapers, it's a shell of its former self. Was a terrific place to work 25 years ago, but I have no idea what it's like now. But it's surely gone downhill.
Horrible, complete nightmare
Copy editor/slot editor (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 26, 2017
If you love dreading each day may be your last, through absolutely no fault of your own, this is the place for you.

Just horrible environment where management cares not one bit about the staff, only the dollar sign. Could not possibly invent a more demoralizing, stressful environment.
Pros
Cons
Terrible morale, no job security, ZERO logic to any management decisions
fun place to work.
Multi-Media Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 18, 2017
I loved it, fast pace, great commission when you make your goal. . Was sold march 2016 Hardest part of job for an outside Executive was cold calling, i'm better out in the trenches face to face with my potential client.
Pros
great commission
Cons
cold calls
Good place to work at
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 13, 2017
A good place to work at. I started school in the mornings and worked at night so I wouldn't get enough rest. I'm looking for a part-time job that start after 1:30pm.
Amazing work place
Sports photographer (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Great people, awesome work ethic.
Great mentors and personnel who truly care for you.
I felt like I grew so much in my sports photography shooting 20+ games a week.
Pros
All new equipment and access to events.
Effective workplace
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CADecember 27, 2016
Great way to meet new people, going door to door in places you dont know is fun and exciting. You never know who you will run into, although you need to keep up or youll lose the job real quick
Pros
Flexible hours
Unstable work environment
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 21, 2016
I worked as a copy editor, beginning as a contract employee, then moving into a full-time position after one month.

Initially the environment was supporting and forward-looking, but after about a couple of months, the realities of the news market set in and deep staffing cuts were made. After that, a new attitude toward employees took effect: you were no longer seen as an essential part of the team but as a financial burden that could easily be cast off. At that point, people came to work more focused on trying to justify their presence in the building than on the work that was necessary to maintain a quality publication.

A few months later, in another round of (even deeper) staffing cuts, I lost my job. It was my last hurrah in the newspaper business, having already been laid off at other publications twice before.
Very unorganized work environment
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 17, 2016
Going door to door trying to get people to subscribe to the paper collecting billing information.
I have learned to talk to many random people at a short period of time.
Management was very disrespectful and would abuse their title as manager also would play favorites
Co workers would not be team players and would sabotage sails of others.
The hardest part of the job is waling in uncontrolled weather.
The most enjoyable part would be the experience.
Productive and fun. Very accomodating.
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 2, 2016
Very good company to work for. Management and coworkers were great team facilitators.
Working for this company for over 25 years was like going to work for a family business.
Management and co workers worked well together. There were challenges but those made the company grew stronger.
Co workers respected and helped each other and I enjoyed that very much.
Challenging company to work for, given the downturn in paper media business.
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE, MAJOR & NATIONAL ACCOUNTS (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 23, 2016
This company is extremely challenging to work for given the constant volatility in the market space. Online in general and social media continue to take away market share from newspapers, which created an ongoing presence of instability and non growth.
Ruined by outside investors.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 20, 2016
A shell of its former self; passed around and run into the ground by clueless investors who knew absolutely nothing about the publishing business. Morale on the front line is at an all-time low. Hard working staffers are treated like cattle by upper management. Two bankruptcies in three years and the company is now in the hands of a team of hedge fund managers bent on squeezing every last penny from its fetid corpse...
Pros
Good, honest, hard working front-line staff
Cons
Terrible, TERRIBLE upper management
Productive, growth and developing new skills
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMay 24, 2016
*Check my emails and reply to all of them
*I'm the minute taker at meetings so I learn something new everyday
*I manage my time according to the projects I have to do for the day
*Friendly, amazing, helpful, encouraging, uplifting co-workers
*The hardest part of my job would be to stop what I'm doing and take lunch.
* When I get to file my projects, because I get to start on a new one.
Pros
Great boss, friendly environment, free lunches, flexible with time.
Cons
No growth.
Fun/serious place to work, wonderful family atmosphere, good advancement opportunities and great benefits.
Sales Rep-Cust Serv Supervisor-Ad Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAApril 30, 2016
Was a wonderful family oriented job atmosphere. Caring people to work with including most managment positions. Exceptional advancement opportunities and benefits. I learned newspaper publishing from beginning to end. The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfaction I felt for having done my job well. My job varied in that I covered several different departments giving me knowledge of advertising from inception to end. The most difficult part of the job was being laid off when work became scarce. I sincerely miss the position I had and the people I worked with. The Orange County Register was, in the past, a tremendous place to work at.
In the earlier years was a wonderful company to work for!
Sales Rep, Cust Serv Supervisor, Ad Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 15, 2016
There was always a set pattern to the work day. Some days were slim with work and other days were over whelming. Most of what I learned at the OC Register gave me the ability to be able to find employment after the OC Register. Management was WONDERFUL! Even the CEO's and upper managment officials were always very kind and always had a smile and a good morning for ANYONE! The co-workers were FABULOUS! I don't think I will ever hold another postion in my life where I felt so a part of the company. It was my dream job. The hardest part of the job was the times of over whelming work load all of a sudden. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of acomplishment when the work load was cleared. It was riviting!
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, Relaxing breaks, Hour lunches, So many opportunities for advancement, Continual reviews and raises, Great benefits
Cons
The bad thing is that I'm not still working there.
The Register was a great place for me to learn the essentials of a sales enviornement
Strategic Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  625 N Grande Ave, Santa Ana CA 92701March 14, 2016
I have worked at the OC Register for 4 years now, the environment was competitive, but also very rewarding. I was under great management and leadership, and in turn, it has pushed me to meet and excel in my current position. Job flexibility and being a self started are both essential in your success at this company.
Pros
schedule flexibility, work from home
Cons
management, company culture
Work friendly
Supervisor Outbound Sales (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAFebruary 26, 2016
I enjoyed my environment at work and the OCR gave me the opportunity to grow in the company and learned leadership skills.
I liked that they had a small gym on campus and my coworkers motivated me to workout at the gym on my breaks. I enjoyed working with my management team. They were very knowledgeable and skilled. One challenging thing about my job was that everyday was like a new day different things happened everyday very different then the next constant change and had to adjust quickly.