Orange County Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

Offers Employee Comforts On Site
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJuly 30, 2017
The job requires exceptional patience and tolerance for abuse and personal risk by passengers. It's a nice work environment, atmospherically. Just No Job Security
Great Organization
Professional Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 24, 2017
Just go in and do your job safely. Very fair organization. Open door policy is great and management is compassionate. It is Union Teamsters, which is awesome. Stay out of the mix as you are working with a lot of personalities. Do your job, which is why you are there anyway and go home to rest. I enjoyed working for OCTA and did not leave because of the organization. My reason was Family matters. Overall It's a great company to work with
Pros
They really do care about drivers, my opinion
Cons
Need more Lay over time and if behind on schedules, to the drivers help each other out. You are team players.
Terrible Culture
Staff (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 30, 2017
Overall it is an ok place to work, but the culture in may parts of the organization is bad, a lot of nepotism. Have to constantly watch out for management, they will sacrifice and blame employees, never take responsibility.
Pros
Central location, gym
Cons
Bad management
very nice people family atmosphere
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  California (CA)April 25, 2017
worked with really great people enjoyed my 18 years there must love working with the public abilities be able to keep a schedule be on time to work no matter what if you can make it to work on time everyday this is the job for you able to maintain a great driving record
Pros
meet new people be your own boss on the route
Cons
short breaks
Good job
Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 22, 2017
It's a good job schedules can be hard to maintain and advancement is available,Vehicles are new as of 2016, good salary and benefits along with retirement,Teamsters 401k
Pros
good salary
Cons
Union job, stressful
Fun workplace with perks of a drivers room to relax in
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 10, 2016
Autonomy while driving assigned route and interacting with various people from all walks of life. Beautiful scenery of areas in both North and South Counties in Orange County California. OCTA services a vast territory for customers that depend on mass transit to get them to there workplace, recreation, etc. Management always willing to assist with employee concerns and co-workers exhibiting camaraderie both on the job and off. It was an adventure every day.
Pros
Amenities for employees provided in drivers base locations.
Cons
cut in overtime hours
Great Company
Capital Projects Intern (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 2, 2016
OCTA is a great company to work for and offers maximum job security. I have learned plenty from everyone who works there, and the benefits for full-time employees seems great. My role at OCTA is Capital Projects Intern and only spans the duration of 1000 hours in 12 months.
Pros
Very Structured
Cons
Temporary Internship
Productive workplace with flex day option
Marketing Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 26, 2015
The typical workday includes developing plans and managing the three programs I'm in charge of, and they are Metrolink Rail, 91 Express Lanes and Motorist Services. Some of the things I do includes writing marketing plans for campaigns, brainstorm and collaborate with team members, develop strategies and partnerships, plan and implement special events to encourage Metrolink rail ridership, procure contracts and evaluate effectiveness of marketing projects.

We have a very good team that works well together.

The challenging part of the job is to keep others on target to meet deadlines.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is seeing the success of my programs, and increased ridership as a results of my campaigns. Also, hearing the great comments from customers.
Pros
Flex days
Cons
long days
worst place to work
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 6, 2015
The only Pro's about working at OCTA, the benefits, and pay.
Con's
The management has a blame the driver policy, where as anytime there's a problem they can't fix are is to much trouble to address, they just blame the driver. They just add a new policy rule that will make it the driver's fault, ex.,if a driver is assaulted and you defend yourself, your at fault and subject to termination. But if you do nothing and ask for assistance in prosecuting your attacker, it's not their problem, and your on your own.
And thats the best that can be said about working at OCTA, it only get's worse.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
everything else
Internship Position
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 6, 2014
As a government agency, OCTA was required to provide internships. The position wasn't essential.

Learned some things, but the auditors did not have time to really provide guidance and training.
Great benefits.
Meachnic (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 21, 2014
It was a good job. Great benefits. Good pay. Union. It was poorly managed. Good coworkers. Very labor intensive at times. Payed sick days and four weeks vacation after three years. Two payed personal days. Lots of other benefits.
Pros
Great benefits. Good pay. Union
Cons
Poorly managed.
Challenging and rewarding career.
COACH OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CaApril 19, 2014
One of my best jobs I landed in my 32 years of age. This job has given me the true meaning of a career. Thanks to this job, I'm able to live a better life. OCTA has opportunity to advance in the company.
Pros
Opportunity.
Cons
Strike
Job duties.
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 17, 2014
This company was great. My duties were to inspect the coach, bus, prior to taking it out. My schedule changes quarterly so I meet different people. I do not have the opportunity to speak with any co-worker, however, the branch dispatchers were nice and understanding. There was no hardship while working at OCTA. I enjoyed working there, meeting people and driving.
Pros
Meeting people, driving, and great benefit.
Cons
None.
Productive and fun driver the bus for the company.
Coach/Bus Operator, Orange County CA (Former Employee) –  Orange County CaDecember 2, 2013
I love driving the the bus for Orange County, had great customer service, management was great and fun working with my co-worker.
County Position
Operations Administrator (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Orange, CANovember 27, 2013
OCTA is a great starting point for those wishing to understand the transportation industry. Unfortunately, layoffs and wage freezes are not uncommon in a governmental organization. After 8 years. Promotion opportunities within my field were extremely rare; however, I was able to take my law enforcement background and assist with developing and implementation of procedural practices to assist in operational efficiency.
Pros
Benefit
Cons
Power-based leadership practices and linear command structure
Transportation specialists
Community Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 14, 2013
Typical day at work includes responding to residents/businesses, conducting Stakeholder Working Group meetings, presenting at local community groups/HOA/chambers/city council meetings.

At the communications/external affairs level, many of do the same amount of work at the same level of service, but are not compensated the same. I manage four freeway project, but get paid less than an ‘officer’ that performs the same job skills/service, but gets paid more than $20K than myself. Job functions are the same across the board, but pay scale/titles are not. Government is slow to promote within.

Love building relationships within the community, flexibility of the job (flex Friday), and co-workers.
Pros
Flex Fridays
Cons
Slow to promote and keep valuable employees
Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
Administrative Specialist - Records Management (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 8, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job is that my current department works as a team. If one area is short-handed everyone jumps in to help out.
Pros
flex time
Great place to work for people who are goal oriented.
Office Specialist Assistant Extra Help (Former Employee) –  550 S. Main Street Orange County California.August 29, 2012
Usually my day to day routine was a little different since I worked under the supervision of three different managers, but it usually consisted in meeting day to day goals that involved checking updates in bus systems. As far as people and coworkers are defined they were very nice and kind, it was a great part time job.
Pros
flexible with my school schedule.
Productive workplace and very pleasant co-workers
Office Specialist, Senior (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 2, 2012
Very comfortable work environment. Good location, excellent benefits.
Pros
flexible lunches and break times.
A different kind of position.
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 2, 2012
This was my launch position into 'adulthood' after my military duty, so to speak. I enjoyed this position because any day wasn't typical. As you will read my reviews for my other jobs I held, all my positions aren't filled with typical days. This is especially true with this position. I never started at the same time everyday. Nor did I ever get off at the same time everyday. I also never saw the same people everyday. There was nothing really too hard about this job.