Orange Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

productive
Registered Central Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYOctober 12, 2016
the work ethics are good, good work place and great people that work there. great benefits and salary. management can be tough but when aren't they. good place to work.
Pros
near by
Cons
management
Fast paced, productive, and enjoyable workplace
Intern (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYNovember 2, 2016
As an intern shadowing one of the hospital's senior executives, the typical day at work varied greatly. As an intern I was invited to attend various discussions. From one-on-one's between a Vice President and one of the department heads, to executive meetings and board meetings, my advisor and mentor through this process was fully dedicated to making the most of my experience. I learned an immense amount from this experience, including management techniques, how to deal with unexpected obstacles often faced in healthcare settings, and the immense amount of work that goes into campus expansion projects.
Pros
Unrestricted and comprehensive learning experience throughout all hospital departments
Cons
Amazing growing medical center.
Secretary - Nursing Education Department (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 15, 2017
Fast growing environment room for advancement. Orange Regional is a medical center with diversity. I would recommend working here to colleagues, family and friends.
its a fun place to work
dietary services (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYFebruary 2, 2017
This is a fun and safe work environment. The supervisors are passionate about satisfying not only the needs of the patients, but also patrons who rely on the cafeteria and coffee shops for lunch breakfast and dinner.
State of the art facility
Nursing Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 26, 2017
This is a state of the art facility located in upstate NY. Administration is always looking for ways to improve the patient experience with input from its employees.
New experience
Guest Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Same Day SurgeryNovember 1, 2016
I never been around such a positive group of people. They welcomed me with open arm. I learn, grow and strive because of my managers encouragements. I started as per-diem and graduated to full time status.
Pros
group meeting
Cons
free food every week
great hospital to work
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Worked here for over 4 years, they really value the employees and treat the staff just as great as the patients. really exemplified what good care
Human Resources was enjoyable.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 28, 2017
I worked as an intern in the Human Resources office for about two months. The staff in the office was very friendly and everyone was hard working.
run, don't walk away from this place
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  med surgeJuly 5, 2014
Worst experience I have ever had as an RN. This place pitches you one thing during the interview but it is completely different when you are on the floor. This place is disorganized and management was a nightmare to deal with. Management could never agree on anything. Some took great pleasure in inventing stories while others suffered from amnesia when they found it most convenient. There was absolutely noone to turn to when you had a problem, but for some reason, you were "contributing to a union" on a biweekly basis. Could just be the position I had, but this place has left a very sour taste in my mouth- to put it lightly.
Pros
patients, salary, benefits
Cons
schedule, some coworkers, management, and the overall cover your a $$ mentality took away from patient care
A great place to work
Clinical Queue Nurse Interventional Radiology (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYSeptember 14, 2014
A very good place to work and be a patient. I feel for the most part everyone tries to be their best for all the patients. Management is sometimes distant they seem to have to handle too many departments per department head. Management and the union seem to have a decent relationship (for the RN division at least). I feel I was well paid and had great co-workers, we were very independent and did a great job. They are still my friends even though I am no longer there.
Pros
Employee recognition "Star Program" decent pay and benefits
Cons
Still having growing pains, but trying new tactics to serve the community better
Favoritism
Bed control liaison (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYDecember 26, 2013
This place sold me on a dream of a better healing place. A place where the patients needs and concerns should have come first, but was not the case. I love my job and the patients I took care of. Politics got in the way of patients care. A place that was so worried about nepotism that they allowed bullying and favoritism strive. And like another review, the union reps rubbing elbows with administration. Never did the people of the community have a chance of the power that a union promises. There is no loyalty to the staff nor to our patients. We lost the family unit we were as 2 different sites. The bickering of we did it better here or there rather than just adapting to change. Some employees too many employees getting away with not actually working directing others to pick up their slack (guaranteed they are the same who will call out on a holiday). Some management feeding fuel to the fire while others just simply had no clue or I try to believe they would have stopped the butchering to new employees or the patients that were affected by the lack of team work or communication.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
A career which I love
National Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 17, 2012
Orange Regional was a great place to work for with decent benefits. Everyday I learned new medicine and my co-workers did their best to work as a team. The hardest part of the job was time management for the whole team when the hospital was at full capacity. The most enjoyable was knowing that you were helping someone.
Pros
being able to make a difference
Cons
short lunches, sometimes none
Long hours but decent
IT Customer Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 10, 2015
I had a lot of shifts that consisted of long hours, but it was well worth it, benefits package was awesome and management was decent, but I was working there during a time of transition.
Great Organization To Work For
Dietetic Technician (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJuly 21, 2012
Great place to work. Benefits are second to none.
Educated clients on therapeutic diets was one of my favorite things to do.
Management was down to earth and understanding.
The hardest part of job was trying to get there in snow and ice storms.
Pros
excellent benefits package
Cons
stressful diet office
great place to work.
Kaizen Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJuly 8, 2015
A very nice place to work. Days go by fast because of the large amounts of material be reviewed each day. Everyday there is something new to learn that you could use the next day. Management are warm, understanding while motivating each employee to do there best..

Co workers at ORMC are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet and work next to. Thoughtful, compassionate and smart,. very smart.

The hardest part of the job is trying to change a process - to improve outcomes. Most people do not like change, so the trick is to let them understand and actually see why a change would work better for 'them'.

The feeling of accomplishment, making a difference in someone's life was without a doubt the best part of my position at ORMC.
Cons
Not enough hands on medical employees (RN, RT, LAB TECHS)
Ormc
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYOctober 8, 2014
great health benefits, good suport as a new nurse for orientation.
People are great, management not so much
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 17, 2015
the employees in the kitchen are wonderful, mostly all get along and just make working there fun. management however isnt, they lie all they can to cover their butt. my 90 day probation was a 120 day, and it was only me. the director lies to have her way, she claims she knows everything that goes on in her kitchen but she cant name 10 employees she has. its unbelievable how many people in this place lie just to lie, like nothing has ever been life or death to lie over. just small stuff.

its union too, but like u arent bulletproof, i learned that the hard way. but at the same time u get a huge defense to anything the hospital tries to do to u.
Pros
$7 towards lunch each day
Cons
management lies about everything
Not worth the effort
Middle management (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYOctober 3, 2012
At first, ORMC sold me thinking it was a "better" choice. That opinion was short lived.

With the combination of two hospitals, Arden Hill and Horton Hospital, it was also a combination of two work cultures. Never in my life have I ever experienced the clashing of cultures. The employees are always at each others throats saying "this is how we always did it at our hospital." The patients safety should always be the FIRST priority. Not here, the employees paycheck is their first priority.

The only thing that hasn't changed is senior managements view. This view is "keep my six figure salary where it is." Unfortunately this work ethic trickles down the lines, just as "reganomics" did in the 80's.

Don't expect management to be on your side unless it helps them keep their paycheck fat. The fact that they are paying a 17M dollar mortgage for the new facility is apparent in the general demeanor of the executives.

Yes, they are a "state of the art" facility in many ways but in more ways, the fluff they put forward in their appearance is just a facade. It's an old attitude in new clothes.

It is a union hospital but with 1199 SEU as their collective barganing unit, that should be a red flag. Yes, 1199 is a big union but is it really a "strong" union? The answer is NO. Don't let the union fool you either. They are there just to give comfort when you are in trouble. It is a union that is just interested in getting your union dues.

In general, this hospital's general attitude is "Hurry up and wait." But also treat their patrons with a "Hurry up and pay" general position since they are
  more... more geared towards paying their outlandish mortgage.

In short, if you just want a paycheck, work here. If you want longevity, go elsewhere. This hospital is not a place for someone wishing to establish some roots and seek longevity.

This hospital is not for the faint hearted. Grow a very Very VERY thick skin while you work here. While you work here, search elsewhere for a better paycheck, better benefits and most of all, a BETTER ATMOSPHERE,
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
everything is done with smoke and mirrors.
It has afforded me the acute care experience I desired
Daily Operations Manager of Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 18, 2013
The staff of pharmacists and technicians are the best I've worked with in my better than 20 years as a pharmacist and pharmacy supervisor.
I would like to have the ability to lead and exhibit a positive example to the pharmacy staff.
I do not believe in micromanagement but I will hold staff members accountable for their responsibilities.
I am a supportive leader and I believe in setting the staff up for success
Pros
acute care hospital experience
Great environment to work in, and for patients.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 2, 2013
A typical day at work for me is seeing patients, and doing my best to make their day better. I have learned how to appropriately deal with patients in a medical environment. My co-workers make our job very enjoyable, their is never a dull moment and we're always happy. The hardest part of the job is seeing people who are very sick but, still try to have happiness in their lives. What I enjoy most of all are seeing the children and elderly. I like to be able to make them laugh and smile, and hopefully make their stay at the hospital a little better.
Pros
being able to make people happy
Cons
i don't get enough hours to support myself in my position now

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orange Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Orange Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location