Orange Regional Medical Center

Orange Regional Medical Center Employer Reviews

First job as a Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Middletown, NYApril 12, 2014
Pros: intensive orientation program
I worked here during my 5th semester in Nursing School as a Nurses aid. I stayed there after receiving my Registered Nurse license. It was a good" first "facility to work in because It had an extensive orientation program and my fellow nurses where very helpful.
ok
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Middletown, NYMarch 30, 2014
ok I love it its different every day typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Safe and theraputic unit for individuals with mental health issues.
Psychiatric Technician (Current Employee), Middletown, NYFebruary 10, 2014
The first half hour is pre-conference. The evening shift and day shift communicate any problems or accomplishments the patients had during the previous shift. As a psychiatric technician I give out food trays, help with ADL's if needed and provide theraputic conversation. When the unit is violent it keeps me more aware of my surroundings and the safety – more... of the patients. However it is greatly overshadowed when seeing a patient at their optimal level and leaving with the knowledge they need to succeed. – less
Answered phones, scheduled appointments, assisted patients and physicians.
Interventional Scheduler (Former Employee), Middletown, NYFebruary 3, 2014
Very busy. Loved working with patients, co-workers and physicians.
Favoritism
Bed control liaison (Former Employee), Middletown, NYDecember 26, 2013
Pros: insurance benefits
Cons: not much room for advancement.
This place sold me on a dream of a better healing place. A place where the patients needs and concerns should have come first, but was not the case. I love my job and the patients I took care of. Politics got in the way of patients care. A place that was so worried about nepotism that they allowed bullying and favoritism strive. And like another review, – more... the union reps rubbing elbows with administration. Never did the people of the community have a chance of the power that a union promises. There is no loyalty to the staff nor to our patients. We lost the family unit we were as 2 different sites. The bickering of we did it better here or there rather than just adapting to change. Some employees too many employees getting away with not actually working directing others to pick up their slack (guaranteed they are the same who will call out on a holiday). Some management feeding fuel to the fire while others just simply had no clue or I try to believe they would have stopped the butchering to new employees or the patients that were affected by the lack of team work or communication. – less
state of the art facility
CLINICAL EXTERNSHIP (Former Employee), Middletown, NYNovember 28, 2013
Pros: state of the art
Cons: job placement
Doing my externship there, I was trained well by the OR staff.
A nice family oriented place
Material Handler (Current Employee), Middletown, NYJuly 29, 2013
its a typical hospital environment; a regular day is real busy and nurses are very demanding
It has afforded me the acute care experience I desired
Daily Operations Manager of Pharmacy (Current Employee), Middletown, NYJune 18, 2013
Pros: acute care hospital experience
The staff of pharmacists and technicians are the best I've worked with in my better than 20 years as a pharmacist and pharmacy supervisor.
I would like to have the ability to lead and exhibit a positive example to the pharmacy staff.
I do not believe in micromanagement but I will hold staff members accountable for their responsibilities.
I am a supportive – more... leader and I believe in setting the staff up for success – less
Fast pased
Emergency Room nursing assistant (Former Employee), Middletown, NYMay 15, 2013
Pros: hospital was very employee friendly
Cons: nothing i can recall.
A typical day at work was fun i loved the people i worked with and the patients. I learned alot, management was ok until the area changed hands. The hardest part of the job was letting it go.
I enjoyed helping the patients.
Cat Scan/Mammography Technologist (Former Employee), Middletown, NYApril 30, 2013
I enjoyed my job. I was employeed for 16 years at this facility.
Great environment to work in, and for patients.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Middletown, NYMarch 2, 2013
Pros: being able to make people happy
Cons: i don't get enough hours to support myself in my position now
A typical day at work for me is seeing patients, and doing my best to make their day better. I have learned how to appropriately deal with patients in a medical environment. My co-workers make our job very enjoyable, their is never a dull moment and we're always happy. The hardest part of the job is seeing people who are very sick but, still try to – more... have happiness in their lives. What I enjoy most of all are seeing the children and elderly. I like to be able to make them laugh and smile, and hopefully make their stay at the hospital a little better. – less
I enjoyed ORMC somewhat
Pre-Registration Patient Access Liaison (Former Employee), Middletown, NYFebruary 28, 2013
Be careful if you have tattoos, they are kind of old fashioned. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management like any other company
Productive organized environment with great people
Bed Control Liaison (Current Employee), Middletown, NYNovember 7, 2012
Pros: diverse backgrounds
Cons: limited upward mobility
the ability to learn more of the medical field than I expected. Have extended my education and found that my calling is n the medical field.

Natalee – December 17, 2012

Hello I am interested in apply for a position at the Hospital and I was wondering if you new what the salary was for a Psychiatric Technician?

overall decent place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Middletown, NYNovember 3, 2012
Management was a bit difficult to work with because it was constantly changing at the time. The hospital overall was in process of expanding and effected employees.
Great Learning experiance
Med/Surge RN (Former Employee), Middletown, NYOctober 31, 2012
Pros: great learing experience
Cons: short staff
Admissions/ discharges, wound care, diabetic care, post-surgery patient, charting, medication administration, patient education, transcribing MD orders, direct patient care, PICC care, foley care, blood transfusions, post mortem care, forensics patients, tracheotomy care, nasal gastric tubes, suctioning, IV therapy, adaptive equipment
Great Management
Finance Intern (Former Employee), Middletown, NYOctober 22, 2012
The Co- workers were truly helpful. Everything was enjoyable about the job.
Interesting place to work in.
Volunteer Office Clerk (Current Employee), Middletown, NYOctober 9, 2012
I have learned about the different types of patient services that ORMC offers to its' community. It is a State of the Art place that offers many opportunities to learn and meet other people from different places.
Not worth the effort
Middle management (Current Employee), Middletown, NYOctober 3, 2012
Pros: absolutely nothing
Cons: everything is done with smoke and mirrors.
At first, ORMC sold me thinking it was a "better" choice. That opinion was short lived.

With the combination of two hospitals, Arden Hill and Horton Hospital, it was also a combination of two work cultures. Never in my life have I ever experienced the clashing of cultures. The employees are always at each others throats saying "this is how we always – more... did it at our hospital." The patients safety should always be the FIRST priority. Not here, the employees paycheck is their first priority.

The only thing that hasn't changed is senior managements view. This view is "keep my six figure salary where it is." Unfortunately this work ethic trickles down the lines, just as "reganomics" did in the 80's.

Don't expect management to be on your side unless it helps them keep their paycheck fat. The fact that they are paying a 17M dollar mortgage for the new facility is apparent in the general demeanor of the executives.

Yes, they are a "state of the art" facility in many ways but in more ways, the fluff they put forward in their appearance is just a facade. It's an old attitude in new clothes.

It is a union hospital but with 1199 SEU as their collective barganing unit, that should be a red flag. Yes, 1199 is a big union but is it really a "strong" union? The answer is NO. Don't let the union fool you either. They are there just to give comfort when you are in trouble. It is a union that is just interested in getting your union dues.

In general, this hospital's general attitude is "Hurry up and wait." But also treat their patrons with a "Hurry up and pay" general position since they are more geared towards paying their outlandish mortgage.

In short, if you just want a paycheck, work here. If you want longevity, go elsewhere. This hospital is not a place for someone wishing to establish some roots and seek longevity.

This hospital is not for the faint hearted. Grow a very Very VERY thick skin while you work here. While you work here, search elsewhere for a better paycheck, better benefits and most of all, a BETTER ATMOSPHERE, – less

Dissappointed – October 19, 2012

I couldn't agree more. I have worked there as a per diem for 2 plus years and pretty much got taken advantage of by management by using me for services without promotion and on the other end of the spectrum getting milked out of union dues. When it came time for push coming to shove the union didn't support me as strongly as they should have like you said, they are there to pacify you when management pulls out the rug from under you. Smoke and mirrors is all I've seen during my tenure. Bunch of executive level con-artists holding hands with the union behind the curtain.

Medical1 – February 10, 2013

Catskill Regional is the same exact way. Union reps having lunch with management- not impartial at all. Bullying mentality by management. Constantly talking down to staff- short answers, smart mouthed around other management...never, ever, ever worked in such a nasty atmosphere before. Makes me ashamed I live in this area, and these are our local hospitals.

Great Ultrasound Staff
Ultrasound Volunteer (Former Employee), Middletown, NYSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: great ultrasound team
It was a pleasure to work with all the Ultrasound Techs.
I learned a lot.
Great Organization To Work For
Dietetic Technician (Former Employee), Middletown, NYJuly 21, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits package
Cons: stressful diet office
Great place to work. Benefits are second to none.
Educated clients on therapeutic diets was one of my favorite things to do.
Management was down to earth and understanding.
The hardest part of job was trying to get there in snow and ice storms.