Orbital ATK Employee Reviews

Solid place to work, though corporate politics played a major role in day to day operation
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Independence, MOAugust 14, 2015
Go along well with my co-workers and projects that were organic to our production area normally went along smoothly. A large amount of red tape and politics but that can be expected at a large contractor.
Excellent work place. Great environment and people. One of the best jobs I have had.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSAugust 13, 2015
Took incoming calls from consumers or business who had an account with us. Learned a lot about sporting goods, GPS devices, rangefinders, scopes, binoculars and other products. The management was great. Great group of people. Easy to talk to and laid back. No stress at all. There was no hard part about the job.
Terrible Sr. Level Management Leadership and HR Business Ethics
Operations Director - FCC / ACCE Operations (Former Employee), Clearfield, UTAugust 7, 2015
Cons: No work/life balance. Operate on a 24/7 production schedule. Treat employees as dispensible objects, attrition is 30+%, unprofesstional HR Group. Not a world class company such as Gulfstream or Boeing / Spirit
Sr. Leader Management do not follow own business policy and practices. This company fires "at will" without regard for lives impacted and unfortunately the company management operates by force of fear or threat of loosing their livelihood.
Good company to work for.
Industrial Security Specialist (Current Employee), Magna, UTJuly 15, 2015
Co-workers are like family. Great work environment. Benefits are pretty good. Fun place to work. Good for independent workers not needing a lot of supervision. Highly talented personnel.
NO job security
Quality Acceptance (Former Employee), Independence, MOJuly 8, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: security, hours
Workers are cool, good people. It pays well (if you're not in packing). You work long hours (60 per week). New union contract is horrible.
Discounted hunting gear and a solid paycheck
Class IV Charger (Former Employee), Lewiston, IDJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Great pay and benefits.
Cons: After a few years it gets really boaring.
A typical day at work starts with a really lame safety meeting. Then you make ammo and b.s with your friends. By about lunch you can't stop staring at the clock because of boredom. Management is cool, there is a high emphasis on Servant Leadership and they choose managers wisely. The hardest part of the job is at about 3 years everything gets really boring. You can switch to a different department, but it's just the same old thing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and a solid paycheck. Great benefits and a solid 401K.
Great Pay, Good Benefits
Manufacturing Support Team Specialist II (Former Employee), Independence, MOJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great pay and benefits
Cons: Some long hours and an ever changing Management structure.
Great place to work, with daily challenges and goals. ATK provided a lean culture with the tools to succeed, and grow professionally. Most of the work force is easy going and cooperative, with a can do attitude. the most rewarding part of our job is providing a quality product to the Nations war fighter.
Mesa, AZ: Defense
Engineer (Former Employee), Mesa, AZJune 24, 2015
Pros: Friendly group, Awesome products
Cons: Management needs maturity
Small company feel made the facility overall friendly. In a short time I knew many of the 130 people there. Could reach out to anybody as needed.

9/80 work schedule. Appreciated work/life balance (for most people)

Cool products.

Engineering management was new and still needed maturity. You needed to be part of the clique to be successful. Close to zero feedback from manager means you are not in the group.

This division of the company is very bottom line oriented without foresight. No technology advancement. Also, sometimes will not spend the time/money to fully understand engineering issues. Not everything gets documented to appropriate level.
The worst engineering company I've ever worked for
Engineer (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLJune 19, 2015
Cons: Hateful managers and their buddies
People left here are hateful and full of rudeness. 30% of engineers should be retired because they are well over 60, and they are incompetent, and they are stuck mentally in 1980's. They do not use any software/produce development model. Not even waterfall. They always just say this is how we have always do things around here, and that's it. Over decades, the only thing that was accomplished here is, – more... ATK created a small army of useless managers and engineers. What can be done in 2 days, they stretch over 3 weeks, and then they just keep talking about what they did and how smart they are for another 3 weeks.

ATK is too small pond for too many angry crocodiles. And it is shrinking constantly. Everyone is looking for a job somewhere else even managers that are to blame for very bad shape ATK is now in. Their resumes are all over the internet. I now work for a different local company and really hope none of the ATK engineers and managers come over. ATK managers and engineers are angry and hateful. Older they are, worse and more rude to others they are.

No contributors left there, ATK does not have any patent, does not have any future, only two old technologies from 1980's. The management does not care about contributors, only about their buddies. ATK laid off the main designers and contributors whose results other old-like-the-bible engineers stole and claim as theirs. The worst engineering company I've ever worked for. – less
Not a positive work place
HVAC/R SERVICE MECHANIC (Former Employee), Independence MO.June 6, 2015
Workers are mad and hateful,no one seems to care about quality product the company is all about the money they can make employees are ignored by management not a positive place to be.
Do not work here if you have minimum of human dignity
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLJune 5, 2015
Cons: See description
No employee believes Orbital ATK Clearwater will survive after 2020. Their products will be discontinued. ATK Clearwater does not invest anything into R&D since 2 years ago. Even before, the management always considered R&D as cost rather than investment, and invested minimal into R&D. That is why they will close the business here soon. ATK Clearwater does not provide employees' training, conference – more... trips, education, ATK employees here get zero from the company.

I regret spending 6 years of my career at ATK. The last year I waited to get laid off but could not take it anymore and just left them. It is the biggest waist of time in my career. The only thing you learn at ATK is to find excuses. The management and the senior engineers always blame on someone else for their failures, they blame on the corporate, customers, department, their coworkers...

ATK relied on sustainment projects and big government military spending. If the contract was not sustainment, ATK only won by underbidding and lying to customers, but later ATK lost projects after being caught in lying. Now, it is all the past, and ATK will shut down.

ATK management in the past every several years would accumulate a backlog of problems they and the senior engineers did not know how to fix. Then, they would hire new employees, and after the problems are solved they just laid them off after 2 years. The ATK senior engineers never worked anywhere else, many of them are well beyond retirement age (65 years) and would be failed engineers anywhere else. The management only writes useless word documents that nobody reads, and the seniors only talk and shout at others. Technicians are the only doing real work and many of them work over time.

ATK Clearwater is run by managers who have no idea about systems engineering. During project, they do not know even what project requirements engineers are supposed to meet, the management does not even know who talks to customers and promises them what. It creates enormous confusion and wasted time. The senior guys will be talking trash about you to your manager just to make sure you are laid off before them. You have to listen their useless stories about their kids, daily politics, the congress and so much nonsense. ATK seniors can talk day and night, and that's all they do. I have seen younger employees at ATK fired and laid off because they pointed out designs can be improved. Seniors and the management are like buddies, and it is a norm they yell and interrupt others during meetings. All the managers and the seniors want is to stay at ATK Clearwater just little bit longer and closer to their retirement. The goal justifies means, and if it means they kick other out of projects, and make sure they are laid off, it is okay at ATK. ATK is very bad if you are younger, result driven engineer. – less
Focus of company is constantly changing
Facilities Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2015
Your job is never secure. Company regularly cuts locations after buying out smaller companies. If bought you "will be the shiny new toy" for awhile but MN management will meddle with things they don't know and will mess up what was working.
hated it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Independence, MOMay 27, 2015
need better benefits an better management. long hours an they lay off a lot you work any shift an job they tell you to an it dont go by your shift you was told to be on i hated it
Great Place to Work
Senior Quality Hardware Engineer (Current Employee), Chandler, AZMay 27, 2015
Orbital/ATK is an aerospace company that provides plenty of opportunities to grow within your profession. I enjoy working in a fast paced and team oriented environment.
Very little pressure and always updated daily.
Engineering Test Technician (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 20, 2015
Pros: Told what certifications we needed and they set us up for it.
Cons: The 12 hours a day gets a little hard sometimes.
Absolutely, nothing wrong with this place. Everybody knows what there doing, and we did it. Looking through your daily emails bring you up to the current status and the today's goal. If there were changes overnight, you are updated either in your email or in the lab by your supervisor.
It was a great place to work.
Property Control Clerk (Former Employee), Promontory, UtahMay 20, 2015
Pros: Great training
Cons: It ended early due to 10th Layoff on this round
I appreciate all I learned at ATK. These are all the things that I now bring to the table thank you to ATK. If was a great place to work and I learn so much that I can use with my new employer. I have Over 20 years in inventory control, material handling and clerical support in Aerospace and Distribution Warehouses. Perform audits, self-assessments, safety analysis and cost savings. Productive with – more... prioritizing, organizing and making decisions. Efficient with continuous improvements and productivity in improving profits and company competitiveness in the market. Member of the National Property Management Association (NPMA) and Certified Professional Property Administrator (CPPA). Trained people on new software and inventory control programs. Proven track record of exceeding expectations and managing projects to be on time and within budget. Received two superior Pro awards. ATF Certified. Held security clearance. – less
Havent seen anyone from Orbital since they purchased the company about a year ago
Mechanical Machine Repairman (Former Employee), Independence, MOMay 20, 2015
Pros: Steady paycheck so far.
Cons: No contract, threaats of a strike
Nothing really positive to say. An awful lot of good people have been layed off or quit due to mismanagement and/or poor treatment. Like I said, nothing positive to say.
An evolving multi-discipline company focused on space business
Contract Manager and Facility Security Officer (Current Employee), Hopkinton, MAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Good company if you are in the space business core.
Cons: Uncertain business if you outside of the business core.
Orbital ATK has a wide range of capabilities and scientific technologies and with the recent merger is evolving into the space launch business it has been focused on for many years. With management focused on the space business the evolving company has some instability within the not well aligned legacy division that is resulting in continuous layoff and employment uncertainty.
Very interesting work makes you use your brain
Tooling Designer (Former Employee), Bacchus, UTMay 15, 2015
All ways some new and Challenging things to work on. The only down side is very up and down with work. very good people to work for and with.
Good company, does not value employees
Project Manager III (Former Employee), Independence, MOMay 4, 2015
Pros: Training Course
Cons: No value of employees
Although I accepted this role without knowledge of the merger and understanding from the leadership of potential for lay offs, I was thankful I was provided the opportunity to take a class and learn while I was there. I believe I would have been successful if government funding had not been cut along with projects.