Orbital ATK Employee Reviews

Look for work elsewhere
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTAugust 4, 2016
The only reason I gave one star was because there wasn't one lower. The management sucks, and if you try to tell them you are out of a job. Management doesn't listen to their employees. Employees work 12- hour shifts, with only one 30 minute lunch and two 15 minute breaks, but you better be back to work after 10 minutes. Management just cares about getting numbers by any means necessary.
Pros
Cons
No time for anything outside work. Employees don't matter.
Don't waste your time. Find a better place to work.
RF Technician (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 20, 2016
This company is about themselves. They do not care for the people that make them profit. This was my second time working for Orbital. The first time was before the merger with ATK. I left the first time because they started laying people off, so I got out of there before they let me go. The second time around I was hoping with the merger and the new OrbitalATK would be better. Well, I was wrong. It is the same lay off hub. They still have that good ol' boy groups that run the place. It does not matter how knowledgable you are if you don't know anyone or brown nose you will not get any where. I have worked for larger aerospace & defense contractors and one thing I noticed here is the lack or diversity of upper management. This is not a place for minorities if you want career advancment find another place to work.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
no place for a long term career
Professional (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 16, 2016
unfortunately, poor employee development. unable to offer a rewarding career. Constant changes due to budgets and government contracts.
Pros
base compensation
Cons
poor benefits, poor profit sharing opportunities, poor support from HR and leadership, frequent cycling of employees, no stability
Not that good
Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOApril 29, 2016
When i was hired they were starting negotiations with the government for the contract. Not long after, I'd say, a month or two, they started talking about a reduction in force. they wanted to let loose of 900 people approximately. Which meant, I was likely to be let go eventually. What they wanted was for people to quit before they laid them off. The pay was quite good, and the benefits were decent. Worked with a bunch of good people. Management was so so. The hardest part was staying awake.
Fun place to work. Pizza parties and pot luck lunches a couple of time a month. Celebrated birthdays monthly.
Process Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaApril 19, 2016
The day started with meetings in different departments for work activity over the last two shifts. Worked independently and also on the quality team depending on the work load. The QA team was crossed trained in all departments. The people that I worked with were union employees, I was not. All were great people to work with. The most enjoyable part was learning a new program and working the bugs out of the procedures.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Layoffs
Fun place to work but also can give you a challenge to obtain a goal.
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, UTJune 1, 2016
I have been very fortunate to learn a lot of information from a seasoned machinist. I could not ask for a better bunch of guys to work with.
Pros
Great employees to work with.
Cons
Shift changes all the time and little loyalty to employees.
Poor benefits package.
Sr. Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  Magna, UTMay 20, 2016
medium pay, poor benefits package and very high insurance rates! Some operations work shift work and Holidays. Leadership is good but not very flexible to new ideas and innovation in operations.
Pros
Nice cafeteria
Cons
Insurance
Sr. Principal Material Estimator (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 30, 2016
Great upper and lower management until merger with ATK. Good pay; light in benefits (days off; no pension). Nice environment. Have your own office with door
Pros
culture
benefits
not very clean, warhouse work.
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOJuly 15, 2016
i enjoy the people that i work with. The uper management does not comunicate very well. you work love 4-5 hours days, feel like you never get to do a thing outside of work.
It's work
SR. Mechanical Maintenance tech (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, UTAugust 18, 2016
this facility needs help!!! poor management is the biggest problem. thehardest part of my job is dealing with ignorant co-workers. the best part of my job is hmmmmmmmmmm....
Dangerous areas regarding explosives
Quality Control Technician II (Former Employee) –  Radford, VA 24143April 26, 2016
Buildings outdated and in dire need of modernizing. In order to get from area to next you must drive your own personal vehicle and roads in terrible condition. Sometimes you felt like you were in prison.
hard but fair
Composite Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTMarch 1, 2016
Every day you are standing on you feet combining carbon fiber to the exact specifications that is required to design the part needed for the plane. You are there for 12 hours and you go home for 12 hours 3 on 4 off 4 on 3 off alternating weeks.
Pros
benefit packages, sign on bonus people you work with
Cons
12 hour shifts
Cool place to work
Packing (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOSeptember 27, 2016
Love working here, wasn't what I expected but it's cool. Looking forward to be full-time employee. Really enjoy what I do here
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Short breaks but still cool
Bad management
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, UTMarch 29, 2016
Favorites are a big issue if your not a favorite your overlooked for job advancements and with working 12hrs shifts all the days i have off is just trying to recover all the lost sleep.
Cons
favorites are a issue, bad management, to many cons to list
Good Company to work for.
Machine Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake City, MOApril 25, 2016
A fast paste company with the advantages of being a large company but with the disadvantages as well. Overtime can be unpredictable.
Pros
Good base salary
Cons
Short breaks. A lot of upper managemint indecision
Very fun place to work
Human Resources/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYFebruary 27, 2016
As the secretary and human rescources at ATK, I answered phones, scheduled interviews for new employee inquiries, scheduled appointments for clients, and conducted all interviews and hired all new employees.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
No full time positions, only part time.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDAugust 29, 2016
I have found this company a good place to work so far. I was introduced to the work slowly at first, but was then giver more assignments.
Not what it used to be
Technician C (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 27, 2016
I took there buy out after 7 years then got hired back on 1 year later worst mistake ever.To many managers over managers nobody really knows what's going on all they want is numbers. Hiring more temps than regular employees they have all ready let go because of cheaper wages.
Pros
Nothing anymore
Cons
the longer you there the more you would see
Very interesting work, great variety, challenging yet rewarding
Electrician E/I (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaFebruary 14, 2016
As an Electrician E&I at Orbital ATK, on a typical day of work we are handed work orders in the mornings that layout our days work. The work can consist of anything from replacing a power pole or adding an air load break on the utility lines to programing a PLC to troubleshooting a HVAC system or anything in-between.

I have learned quite a bit about working in an explosive environment, and have also broadened and reinforced my electrical skills and knowledge.

I personally believe that the managers in my department are very good people, however I don't believe their background fits their job title.

Mt co-workers are very intelligent and most of them have a great work ethic and good attitude.

There isn't really a hard part of my job some aspects are more challenging than others, and that's what makes the job enjoyable when you're able to overcome the challenge and complete the task.
Learned testing on hardware
Sr Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 8, 2016
Orbital was a great experience, I was able to test hardware, install hardware and software on client sites. Traveled proving training to customers on the product that I was responsible for.

2.7