Orbital Sciences Corporation Employee Reviews

a place you can call a career
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTAugust 18, 2016
a job that you can feel as if you were productive, achieved, fun, learned, and wanted to come back to every day. yet not enough backing from supervisors, made life and work miserable every day by not fixing problem employees.
Pros
incentives
Cons
no incentives
Typical Day
Senior Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  ChandlerSeptember 17, 2015
As a software lead, no 2 days are the same. After the initial implementation is completed, the integration period is analogous to fire drill. New observations/issues arise on a daily basis. The integration schedule is volatile.
Pros
Benefits package is above average for the industry.
Cons
The culture is a demerit system.
Government Contractor Organization
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 19, 2016
While the skills learned here were very transferable, once Orbital and ATK merged, there seemed to be a disconnect. There was a lack of training and 'do it the ATK way' was a phrase heard on an almost daily basis.
Very Pleased.
Principle Program Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 7, 2015
(Based on questions provided)
*Review my action items I have identified for myself, or given to me prior. Job had a routine as to accomplish monthly deliverable s. And at times, of course, had the unexpected challenges of generating information which was needed by stakeholders...ie proposal preparation, emergency financial data requested, etc.
*Everything I could. Information is always changing and need to change with it.
*Management was like every other company I have worked for...busy. This is good. Pleasure to work for.
*Fantastic. Always are. Of course it is "your attitude" which makes "them" what they are. I tend to find the good or work within their quirks. Something you learn with project coordination.
*Long hours during proposal time...but that is part of the job.
*When all numbers make sense. A job well done, as I insist.
Pros
challenges. accomplishments. people. science!
Cons
having to leave. but again, i do not regret as i was supporting my wife.
Excellent Company
Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMay 30, 2015
Worked as a Test Lead on a NASA project. Not many opportunities for advancement. Work life balance was very good there. I worked closely with the customer during this period, attending weekly meetings at customer site. Contractors and Customer worked closely in ensuring testing was on schedule.
Pros
Work life blance
Cons
not much room for advancement
Fun place to work
Senior Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VASeptember 14, 2015
It was exciting to work with a great crew of people and teaching them how to operate the testing facilities. The company had room for advancement.
Pros
Great working experience
Cons
Modified work schedule
Wonderful Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 12, 2012
Orbital is one of the best companies to work for. They have excellent benefits - excellent compensation, management, employees, and the list goes on and on.
Pros
good benefits, management, compensation, people, advancement
Allowed to spend time on research and produce the best possible reports
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 24, 2013
The management has a very hands off style towards the employees. It encourages direct contact with the customer , travelling for appropriate meetings and presentation of results for peer review.
This attitude resulted in a very challenging environment and cooperation between all the members/co-workers on the team
Pros
good comraderie between co-workers
Cons
during mission launches, long hours had to be spent to convince the customer
Love this company
SR Buyer (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 1, 2014
I love this company and I love what we do here. Job growth is not a priority for management. I'm stuck in a position and would like to move professionally but when your good at something they like for you to stay were your at instead of advancing the employee.
Pros
longevity
Cons
no growth promotion
Interesting and varied
Principal Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Dulles, Va.March 23, 2014
A typical day begins with reviewing a self generated "to-do" list, (if not actively testing hardware) interfacing with section manager for any other items that are needed. Technicians typically anticipate potential problems and supply solutions to problems before the problems arrive. (sounds confusing, but that's what a technician does - full on support)

Management styles vary - section manager worked for was far and away better than any had in last 40 years.

Hardest part of the job was transitioning from shift work to no shift work. Because all the little stuff that piled up made for some interesting days.

The most enjoyable part? Participating in testing, launching and seeing the payload do what you just built - Work.
Pros
able to submit ideas, perform tasks in a self directed manner, as well as work within a team environment.
Cons
sometimes test phases interfered with personal life but it's part of the job.
Very Capable Employees
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 30, 2015
Orbital has very capable employees in many different disciplines. The work was challenging, and employees are given the freedom to make decisions that will affect the company. Tools used in day to day operations where a bit old and spreadsheets are used to track and maintain almost all operations. Great people, exciting work and nice benefits make Orbital a good place to work.
Pros
capable and smart employees
Cons
opeations software lack of
Great salary as well as benefits
Document Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 21, 2012
Limited advancement, timelier and more detailed feedback or evaluations.
Pros
great salary as well as benefits
Cons
lack of work, incoming work based on incoming contracts
I did not want to participate in this review
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wallops Island, VAJune 5, 2015
I think it is unprofessional to participant in a review of a company you currently work for.
a typical work day
Process Oriented
Lean Manufacturing Culture
Strong Management
Orbital
Staff Administrator - Corporate Trade Compliance (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 27, 2015
Nice environment to work in, people are friendly, invoice processing, import/export team is great to work with. Great location, management team is easy to get along with. Onsite cafeteria and easy to access other food establishments and stores. There is plenty to chose from.
Pros
hard to get hired on once a contractor
Cons
great location
last 6.5 years I have had the most fantastic ride of my 35+ career
Sr I&T Spacecraft & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles VAFebruary 4, 2015
The last 6.5 years I have had the most fantastic ride of my career less my Camden Arkansas experience with NTS. Orbital Sciences gave me the opportunity to work with some of the most incredible people in the Aerospace industry. I got to travel to Russia and the Ukraine and work directly with their engineers on engines and launch vehicle build for Antares. I helped to design and build the launch pad at Wallops Island Virginia and my biggest and most exciting work was with NASA directing the most amazing team of managers, engineers, scientists, technicians, machinist and fabricators to upgrade and construct an liquid engine test stand at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi where we got to hot fire 1970 vintage Russian rocket engines for my previous employer Aerojet. Those rocket engines that were designed and built to carry Russian cosmonauts to the moon so how cool is that . We got it done and tested as many as 15 engines and used them to launch resupply missions to the International Space Station out of Wallops Island VA. That led to the privilege to assemble and manage another brilliant group of people to develop ground systems for another very cool project for now unnamed.
Pros
some of the greatest and smartest people you will ever get to know.
Excellent place to work and grow.
M.D. 20705 (Current Employee) –  Goddard Space Flt. Center Greenbelt, Md 20750August 11, 2014
Excellent place to work. Allows you to experience of working very interesting projects. Compensation is based on your quality of work and team work with others. Benefits are really good. Company also gives you a chanse to gow and enhance your job growth.
Excellent company to learn the Aerospace Industry
Senior Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 11, 2013
Job required working with multi programs and functions. Required kinowledge of electrical, optical and mechanical components. involved performing internal audits and external audits of company functions.
Pros
provided opportunities to be involved with a wide range of projects and components.
Cons
job security is based on contracts.
Interesting work and assorted engineering testing.
Senior Principle Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VirginiaJune 28, 2013
Excellent company. Daily testing of satellite black boxes and full up satellites. Operate M&P software system for testing. Especially enjoy engineering tests of new componets. Allowed freedom to work at my own pace. Complete confidence in my testing abilities by management.
PRoductive work place that is very upbeat and fun
Sr. Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJanuary 21, 2013
Great place to work. The environment is definitely a place to get a large amount of on the job training. Management is aware of what goes on amongst the "proletariat" but they don't micro manage. The staff is great and you could possibly find some friends here as well.
Pros
flexible schedule

Orbital Sciences Corporation Reviews by Location