Orbital Sciences Corporation Employee Reviews

Great management and great co-workers
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 10, 2017
Plenty of interesting work to do. The management treated us well. For example they bought us lunch when we had to put in 3 twelve hour shifts to get out an order. The people were fun to worth.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Lots of overtime
Excellent company, great benefits and perks
Buyer Expediter (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAMay 4, 2017
The company as a whole takes great care of their employees however, there is no EEO as upper managements doesn't care to monitor the way managers conduct business within their department. Managers have lots of room to become dictators bringing the moral down and no one care to pay attention.
Pros
Benefits and extra perks
Cons
No eeo, poor ethical management and leadership
At the mercy of contract wins
Mission Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 20, 2017
They seems to be at the mercy of contracts wins, so there is always a lot of moving people around and they tend to have lay-offs frequently. The managers I worked for however were still great and the opportunities when they are busy are great.
Expect to get laid off
Security Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAApril 1, 2017
Great pay, while it lasts. Expect to get locked in your office weekly while others around get laid off and clean out their office. Beyond stressful. Engineers are laid off more often than others.
Great Place to work
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 17, 2017
Great career opportunity. Great place to work. I learned a lot working for this company. The best part was learning about Aerospace technology, the worst part was having to leave.
Fun small business culture
Systems and Software Integration Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 8, 2016
Fun small company culture. Growing company still infant in its ability to operate with the large blue chip companies. great place for young engineers.
Orbital Sciences
Principal Engineer Electrical (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 18, 2016
Orbital Sciences is now Orbital ATK the company does great things and strives to be the best in the private sector. The personnel their were very open to welcome me there and really made it easy for me to fit in with the team.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Laid off
a place you can call a career
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTAugust 18, 2016
a job that you can feel as if you were productive, achieved, fun, learned, and wanted to come back to every day. yet not enough backing from supervisors, made life and work miserable every day by not fixing problem employees.
Pros
incentives
Cons
no incentives
Government Contractor Organization
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 19, 2016
While the skills learned here were very transferable, once Orbital and ATK merged, there seemed to be a disconnect. There was a lack of training and 'do it the ATK way' was a phrase heard on an almost daily basis.
Typical Day
Senior Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  ChandlerSeptember 17, 2015
As a software lead, no 2 days are the same. After the initial implementation is completed, the integration period is analogous to fire drill. New observations/issues arise on a daily basis. The integration schedule is volatile.
Pros
Benefits package is above average for the industry.
Cons
The culture is a demerit system.
Fun place to work
Senior Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VASeptember 14, 2015
It was exciting to work with a great crew of people and teaching them how to operate the testing facilities. The company had room for advancement.
Pros
Great working experience
Cons
Modified work schedule
I did not want to participate in this review
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wallops Island, VAJune 5, 2015
I think it is unprofessional to participant in a review of a company you currently work for.
a typical work day
managementt and co workers
Excellent Company
Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMay 30, 2015
Worked as a Test Lead on a NASA project. Not many opportunities for advancement. Work life balance was very good there. I worked closely with the customer during this period, attending weekly meetings at customer site. Contractors and Customer worked closely in ensuring testing was on schedule.
Pros
Work life blance
Cons
not much room for advancement
Oribital
Sr. Systems Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDFebruary 18, 2015
They dedicate their budget to engineering and development has no end. But for IT support and new training its in comparison to on of Hercules labors
Pros
If your an Electrical, Thermal or mechanical engineer skies the limit
Cons
If your IT get used not seing the support. Without a fight you wont get any.
last 6.5 years I have had the most fantastic ride of my 35+ career
Sr I&T Spacecraft & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dulles VAFebruary 4, 2015
The last 6.5 years I have had the most fantastic ride of my career less my Camden Arkansas experience with NTS. Orbital Sciences gave me the opportunity to work with some of the most incredible people in the Aerospace industry. I got to travel to Russia and the Ukraine and work directly with their engineers on engines and launch vehicle build for Antares. I helped to design and build the launch pad at Wallops Island Virginia and my biggest and most exciting work was with NASA directing the most amazing team of managers, engineers, scientists, technicians, machinist and fabricators to upgrade and construct an liquid engine test stand at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi where we got to hot fire 1970 vintage Russian rocket engines for my previous employer Aerojet. Those rocket engines that were designed and built to carry Russian cosmonauts to the moon so how cool is that . We got it done and tested as many as 15 engines and used them to launch resupply missions to the International Space Station out of Wallops Island VA. That led to the privilege to assemble and manage another brilliant group of people to develop ground systems for another very cool project for now unnamed.
Pros
Some of the Greatest and Smartest people you will ever get to know.
Very Capable Employees
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 30, 2015
Orbital has very capable employees in many different disciplines. The work was challenging, and employees are given the freedom to make decisions that will affect the company. Tools used in day to day operations where a bit old and spreadsheets are used to track and maintain almost all operations. Great people, exciting work and nice benefits make Orbital a good place to work.
Pros
Capable and Smart employees
Cons
Opeations software lack of
Orbital
Staff Administrator - Corporate Trade Compliance (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 27, 2015
Nice environment to work in, people are friendly, invoice processing, import/export team is great to work with. Great location, management team is easy to get along with. Onsite cafeteria and easy to access other food establishments and stores. There is plenty to chose from.
Pros
Hard to get hired on once a contractor
Cons
great location
Dity environment with no privacy what so ever
Master Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wallops Island, VAJanuary 25, 2015
Wallops Island is a desolate place with no social life. The facility is dirty all the time and bugs are a constant problem in the Spring, Summer and Fall.
Staff Administrator Trade Compliance
Staff Administrator - Corporate Trade Compliance (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAJanuary 25, 2015
Track import/exports for Trade Compliance group. process invoices for payment. Track and maintain Tech Database for submittals of paper begin presented at conference.
Very Pleased.
Principle Program Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 7, 2015
(Based on questions provided)
*Review my action items I have identified for myself, or given to me prior. Job had a routine as to accomplish monthly deliverable s. And at times, of course, had the unexpected challenges of generating information which was needed by stakeholders...ie proposal preparation, emergency financial data requested, etc.
*Everything I could. Information is always changing and need to change with it.
*Management was like every other company I have worked for...busy. This is good. Pleasure to work for.
*Fantastic. Always are. Of course it is "your attitude" which makes "them" what they are. I tend to find the good or work within their quirks. Something you learn with project coordination.
*Long hours during proposal time...but that is part of the job.
*When all numbers make sense. A job well done, as I insist.
Pros
Challenges. Accomplishments. People. Science!
Cons
Having to leave. But again, I do not regret as I was supporting my wife.