Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Sales Floor Representative (Current Employee), La Verne, CAMay 13, 2015
Pros: Talking to great people all day
Cons: Busyness of the store
This organization is an over-all great place to work. If you're looking for a job that works around a complex school schedule, than look no further.
productive fun organized
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), San Jose, CA 95126April 27, 2015
Pros: long lunches
Cons: distance was far
Always busy and occupied. I've learned how to operate a more advanced cash register. Management is pretty good. My co-workers were very welcoming. Hardest part of the job was the rush of customers constantly coming through. Most enjoyable part of the job was operating cash register.
Watch out for middle management
Cashier (Former Employee), Portland, OregonApril 20, 2015
Pros: Great inventory.
Cons: Unskilled leads and middle management. Public humiliation.
I was so excited to be hired at Orchard. Unfortumately it took 5 weeks before I actually started. Granted, it was a new store. I found the leads to be very unexperienced in training and management skills. You are expected to be on the top of customer service....but you are not treated that way. Often times employees were repremanded in front of the customers, pushed out of the way to be shown how to correctly do the job, and pretty much humiliated. I saw this often. If you ask the same question to each of the middle managers you will get a different answer from each. No team work between them. There were a couple of times one would degrade the others answers. I found it very disturbing. You never got a regular schedule, were only given one week at a time making it very difficult to plan anything with your family. The co-workers were great. The store is nice with a lot of great inventory. I give the leads and middle manages a D-. I lasted 3 weeks and could no longer take the unprofessionalism. I left and am very happy I did. There were definately "favorites" and it was made well known. Too clicky for me. Many people hired at the same time as I was left with in the first month. There were many previous employees who came back...working in management. Hmmm.
Easy going environment
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee), La Verne, CAApril 7, 2015
Simple no fuss hardware store. Easy laid back working environment. Lots of friendly customers and employees. Nice place to work if you need flexibility.
I loved working with the public. The busier I was, the better I felt. I especially loved working in the garden, and making the store look inviting.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), West Hills, CAApril 5, 2015
I am a very hard, and dedicated employee. A typical day included cashiering, and store maintenance. I enjoyed learning gardening, and all of my co-workers were very nice, and willing to help. The hardest part of the job was when the store was closing it's doors, and we had to sell everything. The most enjoyable part of my day was when I was outside in the garden. I really loved working with the public, and helping them complete their household adventures.
GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE!
CASHIER (Former Employee), Santa Maria, CAMarch 30, 2015
THIS COMPANY IS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR. THE ENVIRONMENT WAS GREAT. EVERYONE HERE ENJOYS THEIR JOB AND YOU CAN TELL. THE EXPERIENCE WAS A GREAT ONE!
First job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), San Jose, Ca.March 18, 2015
I really enjoyed working here for the first few years. Over the years I felt the changes to the company were really un-fair and it seemed like more work for less pay.
alright work place
Order Selector (Current Employee), Tracy, CaMarch 17, 2015
Selecting orders using WMS on gladiators/wristmount in a fashionable time. Make sure all the merchandise is on the pallet correctly.
cashie job
Security Cashier (Former Employee), Napa, CAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: company picics
make the deposits ready to pick up, help customer service manager desk as needed as well cashiers, very pleasant work place
Nice People but not Forward Thinking
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Concord, CAMarch 6, 2015
It is good company to work for if you are just starting out and looking to gain experience. The management is generally pretty friendly but there is not a lot of room for career advancement. Among the employees you meet a wide range of people, not all of whom would be considered ideal employees. You learning important sales skills, such as handling customers, inventory, managing cash registers and customer service.
Exciting and Productive Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), West Los AngelesFebruary 24, 2015
Working with the Orchard family consist of always having the opportunity to help others. Working at Orchard Supply Hardware you have the opportunity to use your knowledge of home improvement to help a customer from your community to fix or improve their homes. Working in such a busy environment allows for you to improve your skills as a sales associate and thus as a result better provide excellent customer service.
Fun Place to work.
Paint Associate (Current Employee), Tracy, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: friendly work environment.
Cons: hours sometimes are low for part time workers.
I purge and calibrate the paint machine in the morning. stock color samples,paints,tints, and stains.
Assist customers in picking out the right paint or stain for them.
co-workers are nice and ready to assist you when needed.
the most enjoyable part of the job, is assisting the customer. talking to them about their project, and the materials they need. while also recomending other materials they may also need.
the hardest part of the job is when i cant provide the customer with the solution they need.
Chaotic and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), South Pasadena, CAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: not easy to move up in the company
Manage all cashiers, provide breaks,lunches and provide change for cashiers. Manage exchanges, returns and provide excellent customer service to all customers.
Extravagant ease as far as retail is concerned
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: paid time off, hour lunches
Cons: low pay, glass cielings
Orchard has a beautiful niche in the hardware segment of retail, and passes on the benefits it to it's employees. Typical work is done with ease, loose timelines, and minimal supervision, which leads to high moral and unexpected productivity. Very comfortable retail. Having said that, it pays as much as one would expect from retail.
Inventory Control, Fork Lift Driver, Customer Order processing
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), San Jose, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: good work environment
Cons: it was a part time job.
On a typical day I would interface with Customers and process their orders. Unload delivery trucks, re-stock shelves, perform physical counts, order products as necessary. I would also use a fork lift when necessary.
Great Company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: long lunch breaks, nice coworkers, advancement within the company
Management is flexible with schedules if you need time off or are a High School/First Year College Student
Coworkers are always there to help out
Working
Pick-Up associate (Current Employee), Fresno, CAFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: could grow within the company
Cons: leak of hours on some days
I have worked at Orchard for around a year going on two years and things have been great I have gotten steady hours and have moved up and am learning a lot from my fellow co-workers, and within the store constantly talking with customers I am learning something new everyday.
Cashiering summer job
Cashier (Former Employee), Hesperia, CAFebruary 5, 2015
I was here half a year and went through long hot summer days although working part time, you're on concrete floors and cashiering with another two or three cashiers so it's nice the help is there.
Productive workplace near the beach
Cashier/Customer Service/Stocker (Former Employee), Sand City, CAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: nice environment
Cons: short breaks, lack of manger input
On a typical day at Orchard, I would usually be at work at 5am to stock the store. As usual, I would take care of the outdoor and gardening department. This department consisted of a lot of products that needed to be stocked before or on time with the store would open to the public.I learned where each product was to be placed and learned what each product proclaimed to do. If I was doing my job correctly, the managers would tend to leave me alone and let me do m job. As for working with my co-workers, I did enjoy having the company or just helping me out when times became overwhelming. The hardest part of the job was not getting to every customers question when doing something challenging. What I enjoyed about working at Orchard was getting away from home for just a few hours. Orchard Supply Hardware is located right next to a beach. Working next to a beach and smelling the fresh sea water was the best.
Management is trying to create a fun balanced place to come to work
Replenishment Analyst (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: a lot of systems and tools to help do your job
Cons: the company is an 80 year old start up with growing pains since it was purchased by lowe's
- There is a lot of interactions with cross functional teams which helps to ensure all teams are in alignment.
- I learned a lot of new systems and there are a lot of knowledgeable people with a lot of tenure and experience to help you along the way.
- Management is trying to create cohesive teams to help you succeed.
- Co-works are great! They are very friendly and are willing to share their experience and tools.

1 2 3 4 5

About Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware supplies California's do-it-yourselfers.┬áIt operates more than 85 home centers in the Golden State, from – Read more