Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

They don't tell you all part time employees are seasonal employees.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San JoseNovember 14, 2017
Great place to work, culture is positive. Management is great. Discount is generous. Each Christmas OSH gives their employees gift which is useful to the job. If you are retired or a student living at home, a job at OSH works. But the OSH secret is that after Christmas/New Years, hours are really cut, and sometimes there is no work for weeks. If you depend on that pay, you are in trouble. The employees who work at OSH part-time to support themselves have 1 -2 other paying jobs which keeps them going until the hours rise back up in the spring. Part time positions are seasonal or if not enough people buy at the store, hours will be cut. If you want to get into management, they will train you.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers, positive environment, employee discount, fast paced
Cons
Seasonal hours
laid back
Front End Manager/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 9, 2017
very nice store. very nice items. different items than you'll see that you wouldn't anywhere else. nice plants and an awesome paint and recieving guys
Not flexible if your full time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Weston, FLNovember 6, 2017
Very slow place environment not much people know about orchard because it's California based . The location I was at was not very flexible had a lot of favoritism. Managers lack knowledge of the position they play. Maybe it's just my location but I would not work for this company again
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CANovember 6, 2017
I didn't like the work hours and the Managers don't care about your work life balance. Its not a bad job if your a college student that just needs a few hrs a week.
Managment CYA
Department Lead (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2017
Could never get a week-end day off unless it was a vacation day and management would say it was the nature of retail. Management however only worked one week-end day per week.
Vacation policy not employee friendly, could only get vacation approval when it was slow time for the store not when employees had family events.
Management all about performance but did not provide training or mentoring to help employees meet goals.
Great High School Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 31, 2017
I worked at orchard supply my senior year of high school, it was a very good job. I liked having my own money and working with a childhood friend. It was also very close to my gym.
Great with Customer Service
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clayton, CAOctober 29, 2017
Orchard Supply Hardware works hard with reaching their goals when it comes to customer satisfaction and club orchard sign ups. This company is also good with working flexible hours with all employees.
Pros
good with breaks
Cons
time management
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLOctober 24, 2017
Checkout does not mean just taking the customer’s money; it also includes ensuring the customer is satisfied with their shopping experience. Provide our neighbors with efficient and friendly checkout services to ensure that they are leaving the store satisfied with their shopping experience.
No Career Advancement Opportunities, Underhanded Upper Management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 20, 2017
I fully believe that Orchard Supply Hardware in California is a completely different culture than here in Florida.

The people running the operation on this coast are inexperienced, uneducated, and underhanded. The store I worked in was a hostile environment with very low moral where I encountered harassment, and character defaming. Safety concerns in the work location were never addressed, or were swept under the rug by HR. I would never recommend anyone to work in either Orchard location in the Orlando, FL area.
Pros
Good Benefits, California Pay Rates
Cons
Never get your breaks, unsafe working conditions, underhanded management
Too much expectation for the pay
Cashier, Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 13, 2017
This company overall is poorly ran, the store I worked in was one of the poorest managed stores I have ever worked for. The turn over rate the first year I was there was close to 100 people. The store manager isn't even fit to run a Taco Bell let alone a hardware store. The worst part was having to smile talking to customers while managment was complaining and yelling at us in our earpiece. The pay is horrible, the hours sucks and the expectations are too high.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Retail
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 10, 2017
Retail is a tough business. There were long hours put in during the holidays and when there were resets and remodels to be performed. There were some grewat people that worked atthe company too.
Good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 5, 2017
Management is good and good work place and work culture the people are good to work with overall a good experience with with the company and its culture.
Pros
good work place
Cons
bad hours
Fun place to work
Store Manager / District Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 2, 2017
Orchard Supply Hardware was an enjoyable place to work. For the most part, the work-life balance was very good. The company is continually trying to improve their customer experience. During my tenure as a manager, we had several owners of the company. The worst relationship was when Sears had purchased the company. During that tenure, there was very little direction and poor management decisions.
Pros
Pay and benefits were good
Cons
Poor people skills for key field leadership.
no training
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CASeptember 28, 2017
expectations were high with no training. Work hours were all over the board. Mandatory weekends and holidays.They would schedule your time around holidays so you would not get Holiday pay !
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
hours, management
good
Nursery,,garden associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 19, 2017
it was a no where job it was a job that i worked hard at but never got credit for.i tried to put my best foot forward but kept getting tripped up.everybody works extra hard because they are understaffed
too many problem
Customer Service/ Cash Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CASeptember 14, 2017
a lot of the managers or key carriers acted like high school kids. constantly starting drama and saying stuff behind your back. got to a point where you didn't know who you could trust. a lot of management people brought their Homelife to work and let it effect their work day
Working at Orchard Supply Hardware
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CASeptember 10, 2017
One never knows what will take place every day since products are moved and you may have training or stocking, cleaning and of course helping the customer. The hardest part of working at Osh is that most employees are part time so you may not come in for 2-3 days and then there are several changes in the store products location and then it is harder to help the customer.
Also, one learns so many tasks in addition to what they were hired for that one becomes a jack of all trades and master of none.
You may have been hired for Garden but end up helping in paint or cashiering, etc.
Pros
They try to make it nice with special day lunches, discount on products.
Cons
Part time hours but full time expectations.
Somewhat bais management. Not enough staff
Paint lead (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CASeptember 7, 2017
Customers were great. Enjoyed merchandising and all the job duties. Opportunities to be creative in the departments in which i worked were welcomed and appriciated. Learned alot about products at the learning seminars, enjoyed meeting the vendors. A struggling company with staff cutbacks made it hard to perform at a persons peak ability. High turnover with staff no time to train new employees. High management turnover.
Pros
20% discounts
Cons
Bais management
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CASeptember 7, 2017
A busy day working with customers, stock, return items, look for items for customers, make orders, carry supplies out, worked in pain supply, mix paint
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
short breaks
fun and a productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 7, 2017
Orchard is one of my favorite stores, it is your neighborhood hardware store. where you get the same customers so you know everyone by name. questions asked get answered. we would give all the information needed. it was very competitive for the cashiers on registering customers for rewards. It brought pride to me to go to work everyday in an environment that was so uplifting.
Pros
Great Management