Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

good place overall to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAJanuary 3, 2017
. Maintain the tools department. Make sure restrooms were clean by end of shift. Learned a lot about tools as well as cleaning. Improved my interpersonal people skills, was a team player and learned how make better use of my time, company rules and regulations e.g OSHA. Management was fair. Never had a problem with any of them. Had good coworkers. They would step up if needed to do other jobs than primary job duties as well as myself. The hardest part of my job was after all work was done, trying to stay busy especially when it was slow. The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was real busy, being able to communicate and help customers as well as doing secondary job duties as they arose
Pros
work well with availability
Great environment ,terrible management
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 23, 2017
A typical day at work is great with employees who work well together though not all are working at their 110 percent. It seems the younger works trying to ascend up the food chain are willing to go the extra mile and make not only their customers happy but higher ups as well. Whereas the management seems to have lost their flair and only grudgingly get through the day and fail to back their employees when needed. Though the customer is always right a company's most valuable asset shouldn't be undermined for a customer who is very obviously in the wrong and should not be asked back to the place of business.
Pros
Easy to move up, make a request and it will be heard, great employees and customers
Cons
management are lazy and do not back their customers, also been known to cut corners
A typical day at work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 14, 2016
Coming to work on time, and ready to just start my day. I learn something new everyday. I grow with my co workers, as a team. The hardest part of the job is when you're the new person and you're the one asking so many questions. the managers seemed irritated. the most enjoyable is having customers satisfied, knowing each day is going to be a good day keep positive everyday. getting to know customers, that always made customers happy when you knew them also by there name.
Pros
breaks on time, customers
Cons
short hours, manamget
Was a great job
Office Manager/HR POC/Front End Lead (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CANovember 14, 2016
What a great place to work. I learned so many things, not only about job related tasks but home improvement too! Working in a retail environment can seem one dimensional, but in a area of sales related to home improvement you absorb so much information you can't help but learn! I worked with a great team, sorry to see the company downsize.
Pros
Flexable scheduling
Cons
Rate of pay was a bit low for the area
Friendly Environment
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORFebruary 13, 2017
In the time I worked here I learned many things, considering I had only worked in a restaurant before this. Some of these things included, working in a fast paced team environment, operating a forklift proficiently, learning about gardening, tools, electrical components and many other things that are offered in a hardware store.
Would encourage you to look elsewhere
Customer Service Representative/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 10, 2016
Orchard started off as an okay place to work, but after about tidiest week it just became a drag. Hours are limited, management is awful, and don't expect your effort to be recognized. Opportunities for advancement are nearly nonexistent, and if you don't fit the mold the managers want, don't expect any type of benefits in your direction no matter how hard you work, if you're always early anything, you won't get it. Clovis Orchard needs to clean their slate and start over if it expects to lower their turn over rate of employees.
Cons
Hardware company full of lengendary employees
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 30, 2017
An atmosphere for heavy lifting and customer support. More of what I enjoyed was coming to work with a great amount of energy for helping out customers and having a great time with some of the employees.
Pros
Part timers get called for more hours
Cons
Not enough room for advancement
Stocker crew
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 21, 2016
I have fun at work overnight and enjoy and work team. The company looks amazing. Co workers are friendly. Helping to thier co workers alot. I worked as stocker for 3 years i quited because I leave bad bosses.
Pros
Break time for an hour. Good paid an hours and extra days for work
Cons
Break time for 10 minutes. No paid time off. No overtime.
Productive work place , largest orchard in company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CADecember 15, 2016
Loved working as a sales associate , the people where great and the customers where nice friendly people. As a sales associate I was able to help people find exactly what they were looking for.
Pros
Flexible hours with room for advancement .
Cons
High turn over in management
Old Fashioned
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 13, 2016
If you're a white male, you'll go far. Low pay, absolutely no raises, and no care about you as a person. All management wants is a warm body to cover a shift. Corporate was even worse. If you complained to HR, they told your manager what you said. No room to advance at all.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Low pay, hours.
Great Work environment
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 12, 2016
Orchard is a great place to work every day we get the same customers from a certain radius from a 10-20mile radius. They're basically the same customers who work construction, or need plants, and small parts for their do it yourself projects.

Working at Orchard, i've came to this understanding that most customers are all different and how you have to gauge what they want and how to access the situation properly.

Management is really great, communication is used efficicently. if any thing is wrong. they access the situation accordingly and act upon what is needed.

co-workers are amazing.
most enjoyable part is the different people who come in the store and how they all are unique.
Pros
They bring food when we do a great job
Cons
not enough coverage
Productive and Fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CADecember 20, 2016
Managing all cashiers, helping customers with returns and exchanges as well as solving their problems. Answer phone calls and transfer customer to right department. At end of night count all drawers, as well as return drawer.
Great place to learn
Department Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 23, 2016
The co-workers are great. Easy to work with. Family like feeling at work. The best part of my job is stocking and cleaning when given the time to work on it. The hardest part is not enough time in a day. You have to learn everything in the whole store so that you can cover when short handed. Management is fair. Over all picture I'm very happy that I had the opportunity to work for Orchard Supply Hardware. I've learned the do's and don'ts of retail.
Very low wages!
Money Room Clerk/office asst/csr (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 13, 2017
You will get used and get trained for many positions but do not expect a raise for your hardwork and dedication!!!! Managers have their favorites!
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
Low wages, impossible deadlines, low staffed many times of the year
Great work atmosphere, even better training
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pinole, CAFebruary 19, 2017
Great work atmosphere, you will want to come to work. Also, the supervisors are very knowledgeable & patient. Fellow associates also really helpful
Pros
Employees, Training & Enviornment
Cons
Selling hardware products to customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 19, 2017
I was a Sales Associate and was responsible for stocking shelves and helping customers locate the products they need. We try to up-sell other products that the customer my need to complete their job/project
Productive and professional
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CAOctober 17, 2016
this was a great place to work. co workers and management all worked together to complete goals and keep a calm professional environment. encourage communication to better assist team and gain customer satisfaction. capalized on customers needs before other work duties.
Fun, Rewarding, Collaboration
Regional Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 20, 2017
Orchard Supply has been around since 1931, the workplace culture is great, the collaboration between all levels is a plus. I recommend Orchard as a job of choice.
Pros
Team, Life Balance, Fun, Rewarding
Good First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 26, 2016
Great Beginners Job/ Retail Environment, It's a great place to start to get your retail experience, Cashiering, Customer Service and cross-selling.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited, Sometimes managers are hired from the outside and from other industries.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CADecember 16, 2016
Orchard Supply offers flexible hours and a good work environment. Management is fair and accessible to hourly workers. The job was fun and I was sorry to have to leave.
Pros
Good management and flexible hours.
Cons
None.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orchard Supply Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8