Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

Don't work there.
Cashier (Former Employee), Goleta, CAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Easy to get hired.
Cons: bullying, low wages, few hours.
Very Orwellian corporate culture. Little or no job advancement. No benefits and few hours. Low wages with very rare and very small raises. Lots of bullying and suspicion. Company appears to be managed by loss prevention dept.
fun with co-workers
Department Manager of Receiving (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJune 19, 2015
Pros: co-Workers, 20% disccount
Cons: Store Management switched out every 2 years and they took it on the workers
typical day stocking cleaning, helping customers, learned how about paint and plumbing and how to use industrial machines like a pipe cutter then how to thread the pipe afterwards, how to mix paint cut glass. Became a cashier, I even worked my way up department manager of the receiving department. Hardest part of the job besides working with customers was the management, they never wanted to listen to the floor workers anything we had to say was not important, from loss prevention to which items were selling best or how we can upgrade a show case, nothing flooring workers could say was listen to and could even cost you hours for the next week. The best part would have to be your co-workers after a while you became a family no one liked what happened to each other and everyone was always there to help you even if it wasn't their department. Everyone was always help full to each other and polite.
wonderful
Cashier/SFL/Stocker (Current Employee), Fresno, CAJune 15, 2015
Cons: not enough hours
A day at work is always a good day. My co workers are all very wonderful no problems with none of them which is a great thing. i believe the hardest part of my job there was to get every one to respond back to me on the radio. Other than that everything else was very enjoyable the co workers the customers. I really enjoy working there
Good place to work for first job
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Stockton, CAJune 3, 2015
Typical day as a cashier is answering phone calls, assisting customers, and ringing up customers. Helping with questions about products and upcoming sales. Also do Sales Floor Leader once or twice a week which is just greeting and assisting customers throughout the store.
manager of large associate base
Store Manager (Former Employee), San Jose Ca.May 28, 2015
Pros: helping costumers with projects
Cons: corporate change out
costumer service was a always a top priority enjoyed helping costumers with there home improvement needs, learned from experienced contractors and picked up helpful tips to pass on to customers. Hardest part was maintaining in stock positions due to distribution but the most enjoyable part was being able to help customers with there home improvement projects.
Good communication and cooperation between employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Portland, ORMay 27, 2015
Pros: l
Good camaraderie between employees, enjoy working on the team. Less training then I have received at other jobs. Low pay and low hours.
Fun place to work
Sales Floor Representative (Current Employee), La Verne, CAMay 13, 2015
Pros: Talking to great people all day
Cons: Busyness of the store
This organization is an over-all great place to work. If you're looking for a job that works around a complex school schedule, than look no further.
productive fun organized
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), San Jose, CA 95126April 27, 2015
Pros: long lunches
Cons: distance was far
Always busy and occupied. I've learned how to operate a more advanced cash register. Management is pretty good. My co-workers were very welcoming. Hardest part of the job was the rush of customers constantly coming through. Most enjoyable part of the job was operating cash register.
Watch out for middle management
Cashier (Former Employee), Portland, OregonApril 20, 2015
Pros: Great inventory.
Cons: Unskilled leads and middle management. Public humiliation.
I was so excited to be hired at Orchard. Unfortumately it took 5 weeks before I actually started. Granted, it was a new store. I found the leads to be very unexperienced in training and management skills. You are expected to be on the top of customer service....but you are not treated that way. Often times employees were repremanded in front of the customers, pushed out of the way to be shown how to correctly do the job, and pretty much humiliated. I saw this often. If you ask the same question to each of the middle managers you will get a different answer from each. No team work between them. There were a couple of times one would degrade the others answers. I found it very disturbing. You never got a regular schedule, were only given one week at a time making it very difficult to plan anything with your family. The co-workers were great. The store is nice with a lot of great inventory. I give the leads and middle manages a D-. I lasted 3 weeks and could no longer take the unprofessionalism. I left and am very happy I did. There were definately "favorites" and it was made well known. Too clicky for me. Many people hired at the same time as I was left with in the first month. There were many previous employees who came back...working in management. Hmmm.
Easy going environment
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee), La Verne, CAApril 7, 2015
Simple no fuss hardware store. Easy laid back working environment. Lots of friendly customers and employees. Nice place to work if you need flexibility.
I loved working with the public. The busier I was, the better I felt. I especially loved working in the garden, and making the store look inviting.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), West Hills, CAApril 5, 2015
I am a very hard, and dedicated employee. A typical day included cashiering, and store maintenance. I enjoyed learning gardening, and all of my co-workers were very nice, and willing to help. The hardest part of the job was when the store was closing it's doors, and we had to sell everything. The most enjoyable part of my day was when I was outside in the garden. I really loved working with the public, and helping them complete their household adventures.
GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE!
CASHIER (Former Employee), Santa Maria, CAMarch 30, 2015
THIS COMPANY IS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR. THE ENVIRONMENT WAS GREAT. EVERYONE HERE ENJOYS THEIR JOB AND YOU CAN TELL. THE EXPERIENCE WAS A GREAT ONE!
First job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), San Jose, Ca.March 18, 2015
I really enjoyed working here for the first few years. Over the years I felt the changes to the company were really un-fair and it seemed like more work for less pay.
alright work place
Order Selector (Current Employee), Tracy, CaMarch 17, 2015
Selecting orders using WMS on gladiators/wristmount in a fashionable time. Make sure all the merchandise is on the pallet correctly.
cashie job
Security Cashier (Former Employee), Napa, CAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: company picics
make the deposits ready to pick up, help customer service manager desk as needed as well cashiers, very pleasant work place
Nice People but not Forward Thinking
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Concord, CAMarch 6, 2015
It is good company to work for if you are just starting out and looking to gain experience. The management is generally pretty friendly but there is not a lot of room for career advancement. Among the employees you meet a wide range of people, not all of whom would be considered ideal employees. You learning important sales skills, such as handling customers, inventory, managing cash registers and customer service.
Exciting and Productive Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), West Los AngelesFebruary 24, 2015
Working with the Orchard family consist of always having the opportunity to help others. Working at Orchard Supply Hardware you have the opportunity to use your knowledge of home improvement to help a customer from your community to fix or improve their homes. Working in such a busy environment allows for you to improve your skills as a sales associate and thus as a result better provide excellent customer service.
Fun Place to work.
Paint Associate (Current Employee), Tracy, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: friendly work environment.
Cons: hours sometimes are low for part time workers.
I purge and calibrate the paint machine in the morning. stock color samples,paints,tints, and stains.
Assist customers in picking out the right paint or stain for them.
co-workers are nice and ready to assist you when needed.
the most enjoyable part of the job, is assisting the customer. talking to them about their project, and the materials they need. while also recomending other materials they may also need.
the hardest part of the job is when i cant provide the customer with the solution they need.
Chaotic and fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), South Pasadena, CAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: not easy to move up in the company
Manage all cashiers, provide breaks,lunches and provide change for cashiers. Manage exchanges, returns and provide excellent customer service to all customers.
Extravagant ease as far as retail is concerned
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: paid time off, hour lunches
Cons: low pay, glass cielings
Orchard has a beautiful niche in the hardware segment of retail, and passes on the benefits it to it's employees. Typical work is done with ease, loose timelines, and minimal supervision, which leads to high moral and unexpected productivity. Very comfortable retail. Having said that, it pays as much as one would expect from retail.

1 2 3 4 5

About Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware supplies California's do-it-yourselfers.┬áIt operates more than 85 home centers in the Golden State, from – Read more

Orchard Supply Hardware Salaries