Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware Employer Reviews

Orchard Supply
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CASeptember 9, 2014
I typically worked night shifts because I was going to school in the morning. Night shifts weren't too busy. As a cashier, we would do transactions with either cash, checks, credit or debit cards. Management had also set sale goals for us to reach. Our job was to make sure each customer had found what they needed. We also would make sure our isle was – more... clean, organized and stocked with candy etc. I truly enjoyed that when a customer needed an item, I was able to call an employee on the floor because each one of them had their own phones with them. This was very helpful because it made it fast and easy for the customer to get what they needed. – less
Loved it.
Cashier (Current Employee), Milpitas, CASeptember 2, 2014
i loved working the back because i got to what we sell and help customers with what their looking for. Very interesting place to learn and work for.
Employment at orchard supply hardware
plumbing/electrical associate (Former Employee), Fremont, CAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: friendly, caring employees creating a nice working atmosphere!
Cons: since osh was working through financial difficulties, many problems remained to be solved!
Since I worked at numerous different OSH stores I found 90% of employees excellent to work with and who really cared for their daily OSH duties.Also, a large portion of Management were pleasant to work with although some certainly needed to brush up on their management knowledge! I especially enjoyed helping customers solve their many home problems.
hard working
Cashier (Current Employee), Turlock, CAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: discount on merchandise, long lunches
Cons: short hours, no benefits
typically my day at work consists of clocking in heading to the registers. My primary job is to help customers with ringing up their merchandise. When I am not helping customers I clean all the registers including; dusting, wiping them down with wash rags, sweeping, and retrieving all of the sensors that come from clothing and other merchandise. After – more... that I usually front in face the merchandise by the registers, retrieve carts form the parking lot, make a list of all the items we need up at the register ( like bags, sodas for the soda machines, and boxes for plants). I get a 15 minute break during a 4 hour day, if I work a * hour day I receive 2 breaks and a 1 hour lunch. The hardest part of the job is sometimes having upset customers, and the lack of hours makes it hard to make ends meet, but the thing I love the most are my co workers they make going into work enjoyable.
This job has taught me to work hard, value customers and other peoples ideas. My co workers are for the most part a genuine group of good people who are easy to get along with. They are willing to help out when they can. My managers for the most part are good people, they treat their employees as people not just worker bees. – less
OSH has lost its spirit at the Corporate Office
E-Commerce Specialist, Merchant Admin.Assistant (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2014
Pros: nice store discount
Cons: no mercy
What was once a good company to work for has turned into strictly business oriented one.
Management wants fresh blood at any cost.
God help those that are still there trying to keep their job.
Great people to work with
Graphics Coordinator - Store Planning / Marketing (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 22, 2014
I enjoyed working with many wonderful people throughout the company.
Productive Fun work enviornment
Cashier (Former Employee), Fountain Valley, CAJuly 14, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: the work hours
A typical day at work included me standing at the cash register helping customers. stocking shelves, helping customers in electrical, and counting money.
I learned the different types of electrical equipment, I learned a lot about the different power tools, all different types of hardware.
The management here was not that great, hense the store shutting – more... down.
My coworkers were great. I am still friends with a lot of them that worked there.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers and keeping my cool under disgruntaled customers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my coworkers. – less
productive and nice place to work
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), san jose, caJuly 8, 2014
Pros: quarterly lunches, sample sales, auctions..etc
Cons: pay wasn't what i would like, and not much room for advancement
open mail
separate invoices
code invoice and send out for approval if no PO
process invoices in timely manner for payment runs twice a week

coworkers were great, every one pitched in when needed...
I enjoy AP so to me there is no hard parts, and I always enjoy it when everything runs smoothly....
DTA
Fork lift operator (Former Employee), Torrance, CAJuly 3, 2014
It was only a part time job for extra money...however management didn't know anything about ice maint.
Fun Co-workers in a stable work environment
Accounts Payable Clerk 1 (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: extremely good knowledgable co-workers
Cons: job atmosphere and daily life totally ruined by bad managment
before the acquisition by LOWES in 2013, from 2008 to 2013 my daily life at Orchard was set, and I had daily tasks that needed to be finalized each day. Thursday we issued vendor checks, Monday through Friday we would enter invoices provided by our vendors.

Management: from 2008 to 2013 management was absolutely amazing then things quickly deteriorated, – more... they went down hill and our department suffered from extremely bad management.

Co-workers: I got along great with my co-workers, they were an amazing bunch of individuals.

Hardest part of the job: everything was simplified but the thursday check runs could prove difficult if we could not find the invoices that matched up to our checks.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers, what an amazing and dedicated crew to work under! – less
Great company, poor management
Customer service associate (Former Employee), Yuba City, CAJune 30, 2014
Pros: friendly workers, nice customers, long lunches
Cons: poor management
My days consisted of working outside in hot weather conditions for the most part. Doing heavy lifting/forklift operation. Helping customers load heavy products into car by hand or forklift as well. Building displays for the store and such. I learned a lot about my community and how to be proud of what I do for people. Management was pretty poor in my – more... location. My department, on top of the heavy lifting and such, we are building displays such as BBQ's for the store. We are not supposed to leave our work station, and so we have either management or someone from the seasonal department come and take said display when finished. Some of our management would go into hiding and talk on the phone or watch TV when no one is paying attention so, a lot of times we couldn't properly store merchandise due to products backing up. This would not be a problem if they also would schedule more than one person to be in an outside environment in 90 degree and higher weather. It was a challenge to get them to supply us with drinking water as well. Company policy was to supply us with clean water always, and we had to fight for that at our location. Co-workers were amazing, everyone was friendly and would be able to assist if someone needed help whenever they could. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customer orders of 100lbs+ by yourself when you are unable to load by forklift. Most enjoyable part of my job was the self-management of my department. We got results and kept a clean enjoyable work environment in our little warehouse. – less
Not the most glamorous job, but still a decent one to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Goleta, CAJune 28, 2014
Pros: very close to home, flexible hours, good coworkers, gained knowledge on many tools, hardware, paint and stains, grills, patio sets, patio heaters and cleaning items, casual work attire
Cons: short staffed on occasion, asked to take on more work without more compensation
Usually worked early mornings to late afternoons or late afternoons to closing hours. Coworkers were helpful when they could be but sometimes the store would be understaffed at the busiest times. Some of the management would be sitting in the office telling people what to do when a good leader is one who leads by example. Usually there would always – more... be something to do whether it would be cleaning the store, stocking merchandise or rearranging product on the shelves. Would be called to back up cashier many times when lines developed and take turns being the sales lead (greeter) at the front door. Would be asked to assemble patio sets, patio heaters or bbq grills for display. Also help break down incoming truck shipments. – less
No loyality towards associates.
Store Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 25, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Not at all happy with my time with the Company. After several years of loyal service, and an Associate in good standing, I was let go with no severance package nor hope of continued employment.
N/A
Regional Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee), San Jose Bay AreaJune 13, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Responsible for Shrink & Safety in 22 stores. Training, Development, Company Policies and Procedures.
i liked working at osh but hated the company
Shipping & Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Merced, CAJune 11, 2014
working at osh is like any other retail place, but with a worst company.
new
Customer Severice Representative (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 9, 2014
Rabeanco new brand to the US, excellent higher management team, owners very involved cared a lot for the employees.
extremely pleasant place to work
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee), Yorba Linda, CAJune 6, 2014
Pros: enjoy interacting with customers
Cons: not enough hours
I am a cashier and sometimes help stock the shelves; helped open the store in May 2013. Like the people I work with and the management is encouraging and helpful in all situations. We work together like a big family.
Fast paced retail environment.
Department Manager / Key Carrier (Former Employee), Woodland, CAJune 4, 2014
Providing exemplary customer service and working closely with the management team gave me the skillset required to advance quickly within the company.
My first job that really emphasized and maintained the importance of customer service.
Department Manager (Former Employee), Sonora, CAMay 7, 2014
I really enjoyed the many years at OSH. I was able to move around to different departments over the years and become knowledgeable on so many different aspects of home improvement. I am great full for the learning opportunities given to me.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMay 1, 2014
Great place to work. I learned a lot about home improvement and being a cashier.

1 2 3 4 5

About Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware supplies California's do-it-yourselfers.┬áIt operates more than 85 home centers in the Golden State, from – Read more