Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

not fun at all
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 22, 2017
used to work here pay is extrelmy low and people are over worked the culture is nice and managennt is ok the best part is the discount on products to buy
the employees were great, the managment was not!!!!
ELECTRICAL\PLUMING\STOCKING (ASSOCIATE) (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CA 91362May 21, 2017
5a.m. stocking then on sales floor rest of day
their was no training. it was a good thing in knew about what I was doing from past handyman exp, hardest part of job was dealing with managers that did not seem like they have ever been managers before. when I started the manager was great,but they shipped him off to another store. in 4 years I went through 5 managers that should tell you something
Pros
great people
Cons
bad managment
Productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 17, 2017
The employees here are awesome to work with. The customer s were OK. It was a very productive place to work with strick rules and fast paced days. Managerial staff was nice.
Pros
Close to good restaurants for lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Very good company
Sales (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 16, 2017
This is a very good company to work for. Some work here 20-30 years while others are just passing thru. Room for advancement if that is the direction you want to take.
Pros
Working with good, hard working people.
Cons
Working with the others who don't work hard.
Nice place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 11, 2017
I would oversee hardware, help various customers with finding products and answering questions. The workplace culture was welcoming and nice. Management was friendly.
Great professional and family oriented company to work for.
Department Lead and Key Carrier, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAMay 8, 2017
I greatly appreciate the time I had the pleasure of being employed by OSH. Management and staff are professional, personable, customer oriented. The best customer service is our #! priority.
Challenges from continually-changing management
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 3, 2017
Over the 10 years I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware, there were three different corporate owners, five different presidents, and six different marketing chiefs. This churn created difficulty in reaching corporate goals, which, in turn, caused too much course changing. As a result, OSH has struggled to establish a coherent place in the retail space. There has been a culture of infighting between business units, typified by finger-pointing and the lack of accountability. The latest leadership has voiced the commitment to change this culture, but it is going to take a long time.
Pros
Ability to initiate projects
Cons
Lower compensation, negative culture
A great company gone bad!
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 28, 2017
When I first started the company culture was best I've ever seen . Focus on experienced people knowledgeable in various departments they were in i.e experienced plumbing or electrical people who could really help customers and customers would tell friend and come back cause of the great help they got. Sears brought in 3 changes in senior leadership that destroyed this culture of customer service and drove most of the great employees to leave. This horrible culture eventually led to the company going bankrupt and being bought out by Lowe's. When I first started the company made huge profit and was destroyed by a series of bad moves and the good employees and the customers were the ones who suffered
Pros
Great knowlegable employees in begining
Cons
Complete destruction of good company
Family atmosphere
Part-Time CSR/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 24, 2017
Every employee was willing to lend a hand. Managers helped get the job done and were very patient! The harder you worked, the more hours you got. The customers were often repeat customers and you got to know each one which made it easier to assist their needs.
Productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAApril 24, 2017
Retail sales were at an all time high when I was there five years. I received the employee of the month award after only one month of worming there for delivering outstanding customer service and my sales were at a personal all time high.
Pros
Flexibility, room to move around
Cons
no complaints
PRoductive, fun place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 22, 2017
Costco is a great company to work for, but once you have reach to a certain level of management its hard to continue growing your career.
On daily basis have customer interactions and learn to listen and understand the importance of every customer.
Worked with different management type. all knowledgable and helpful to continue learning.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of teaching and coaching and see your employees take the next step in their career.
benefits
Fast Pace
Customer Service, Cashire, Paint Sales (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 21, 2017
The customers are best part of my job.We have a high volume store. I have learner that you can not make everyone happy in retail. Our managers are never on the same page.
Pros
Customers and our discount
Cons
managment
Fun and productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAApril 21, 2017
I enjoy working with all my co-workers. Assistance is there when you need it and everyone is fun to be around and talk to. They make it easy to want to come to work.
Pros
The laughs and just being able to socialize like family.
Cons
I'd like more hours, but I am part-time and that's fine for now.
Great place to work!
Customer Service/Administrative (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAApril 20, 2017
Great place to work! Awesome management team. Helpful and fun co-workers! Great place to learn about home improvement projects, gardening, paint and bbq's!!
Pros
Very supportive management team and co-workers. Fun place to work!
Cons
Not enough hours
Keep on looking for a better job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 20, 2017
no support from managers & leads, over worked & under paid, managers & leads don't care who you are only that you do what they say, miss treated from managers, leads & other co-workers, old people acting like little kids, too many rumors, no support from HR, worst place to ever worked, don't apply will regret it, was there for 3 months worst decision, was told by coworkers that I would not last
Pros
20% discount but managers don't want you to return item purchased
Cons
No support from anyone
Satisfactory
Sales Floor Team Member/Cashier/Sales Floor Leader (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAApril 19, 2017
Fast paced store working in all departments. Helping customers and co-workers achieve the best experience possible. Management was ok, constantly needing support from corporate. Unqualified managers. Overall best part was making friends with co-workers and working together as a team.
Pros
great discount
Cons
Management not giving support to employees
Confused corporate office
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bay areaApril 18, 2017
This company has gone through too many corporate leaders. There is no unity or consistency. The field and the corporate office are totally disconnected.
Easy money management horrible
Stocking Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 15, 2017
Management likes to have their favorites, ive been told they like to "fill the bench" making it impossible for anyone else to move up in the company. Their referral rewards program is a legal way of showing favoritism.
Nice place to work for a short while
Stock Crew (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAApril 11, 2017
Working stock was a pretty mindless affair. Was there way too long.
The worst part is the customers. They will treat you like garbage.
Management has major communication issues.
People working there were pretty chill.
Pros
20% off merchandise
Cons
Managment custimers
Great place
Cashier, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 10, 2017
This company is great. Management is great and the overall environment is amazing. I got to learn a lot about home improvement and I was given the opportunity to work in multiple departments!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orchard Supply Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9