Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

Too much expectation for the pay
Cashier, Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 13, 2017
This company overall is poorly ran, the store I worked in was one of the poorest managed stores I have ever worked for. The turn over rate the first year I was there was close to 100 people. The store manager isn't even fit to run a Taco Bell let alone a hardware store. The worst part was having to smile talking to customers while managment was complaining and yelling at us in our earpiece. The pay is horrible, the hours sucks and the expectations are too high.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Retail
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 10, 2017
Retail is a tough business. There were long hours put in during the holidays and when there were resets and remodels to be performed. There were some grewat people that worked atthe company too.
Good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 5, 2017
Management is good and good work place and work culture the people are good to work with overall a good experience with with the company and its culture.
Pros
good work place
Cons
bad hours
Fun place to work
Store Manager / District Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 2, 2017
Orchard Supply Hardware was an enjoyable place to work. For the most part, the work-life balance was very good. The company is continually trying to improve their customer experience. During my tenure as a manager, we had several owners of the company. The worst relationship was when Sears had purchased the company. During that tenure, there was very little direction and poor management decisions.
Pros
Pay and benefits were good
Cons
Poor people skills for key field leadership.
no training
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CASeptember 28, 2017
expectations were high with no training. Work hours were all over the board. Mandatory weekends and holidays.They would schedule your time around holidays so you would not get Holiday pay !
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
hours, management
good
Nursery,,garden associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 19, 2017
it was a no where job it was a job that i worked hard at but never got credit for.i tried to put my best foot forward but kept getting tripped up.everybody works extra hard because they are understaffed
too many problem
Customer Service/ Cash Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CASeptember 14, 2017
a lot of the managers or key carriers acted like high school kids. constantly starting drama and saying stuff behind your back. got to a point where you didn't know who you could trust. a lot of management people brought their Homelife to work and let it effect their work day
Working at Orchard Supply Hardware
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CASeptember 10, 2017
One never knows what will take place every day since products are moved and you may have training or stocking, cleaning and of course helping the customer. The hardest part of working at Osh is that most employees are part time so you may not come in for 2-3 days and then there are several changes in the store products location and then it is harder to help the customer.
Also, one learns so many tasks in addition to what they were hired for that one becomes a jack of all trades and master of none.
You may have been hired for Garden but end up helping in paint or cashiering, etc.
Pros
They try to make it nice with special day lunches, discount on products.
Cons
Part time hours but full time expectations.
Somewhat bais management. Not enough staff
Paint lead (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CASeptember 7, 2017
Customers were great. Enjoyed merchandising and all the job duties. Opportunities to be creative in the departments in which i worked were welcomed and appriciated. Learned alot about products at the learning seminars, enjoyed meeting the vendors. A struggling company with staff cutbacks made it hard to perform at a persons peak ability. High turnover with staff no time to train new employees. High management turnover.
Pros
20% discounts
Cons
Bais management
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CASeptember 7, 2017
A busy day working with customers, stock, return items, look for items for customers, make orders, carry supplies out, worked in pain supply, mix paint
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
short breaks
fun and a productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 7, 2017
Orchard is one of my favorite stores, it is your neighborhood hardware store. where you get the same customers so you know everyone by name. questions asked get answered. we would give all the information needed. it was very competitive for the cashiers on registering customers for rewards. It brought pride to me to go to work everyday in an environment that was so uplifting.
Pros
Great Management
A sinking ship.
Workbench/ Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Buena Park, CASeptember 1, 2017
I used to love working here. Good corporate culture, possibilities for advancement, and a genuinely caring leadership group. Now that Lowe's is worried about the losses suffered financially, the dumpster fire has started. Cut hours, running stores with inadequate staffing, uncaring or inept management, and a general air of despair haunt the sales floor.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Skeleton crews, no replacement of losses to attrition, no real chance for advancement, first hand experience working for a company going bankrupt for the second time
Retail
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 28, 2017
Nice place to work. Friendly staff and management, Clean environment. Very big on customer service. Shifts are easy to work with if you have another job or school.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not enough hours
Enjoyable place to work.
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 23, 2017
Orchard Supply Hardware is a good company to work for and gives stores the opportunity to make it better. With that, you must be selective on which store you work for because where some stores are great to be at; there are some that are also not. Full time positions are desired by associates who desperately need the money however you wave any work/life balance when you take on that role. The money is competitive with other retailers, possibly leaning to the lower end.

My recommendation is, take the job if you are looking to stay busy. But just be part time and enjoy your life as well. You will miss it, if you take the full time role. Schedules are at random and are never set. Corporate has made this a requirement, to provide equal opportunity amongst all associates.
Pros
Discounts, Healthcare, Great PTO
Cons
No work/life balance, no set schedules, little compensation
Do not recommend at all.
Everything (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 18, 2017
I thought this would just be a temporary job, but wow this store is so unbalanced. Managers have favorites, Very unorganized, behind on everything, and a lot of drama.
Pros
n/a
Cons
hours are not good
Orchard supply
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 15, 2017
I really liked it at first. Not enough hours I. was told I would get 30. hours. They cut. About 80 percent of employees hours. They Don't offer benefits .
Pros
20 percent Discount
Cons
No Benefits
Customer centric
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 7, 2017
fast paced old company with a "start up" feel environment
leadership team encourages transparency and all owning the company's success together. Leadership are invested in growing their teams.
Good first real job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hanford, CAAugust 4, 2017
learned a lot working here
friendly environment
stocked product on shelfs
watered nursery every morning
helped customers find items they needed
maintained safe work environment
It was ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2017
I loved my actual job of cashiering and talking to customers as well as checking them out, however it being said that you could lose your job if you did not sign enough customers was not cool. There was also no real room to grow in the company for me. The customers were great and so were some coworkers, but company policies sucked.
Building customer relationships
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 23, 2017
I loved working there. I loved seeing the same customers come in, and building customer relationships with them. I loved working with my team, and talking with the customers.
Pros
team members
Cons
part time getting carts in the heat