Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews in United States

It's a job
Office Clerical Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAMarch 9, 2016
Usually the days go pretty smoothly, but my location is severely understaffed, so it can get pretty hectic.
The management is average. I've had fantastic managers and I've had poor managers. Our district manager is actually pretty good, though I don't agree with some of the changes he's making.
The coworkers aren't that great, with the exception of a select few. The employees are mostly older, like upper middle age and into senior status, and most of them work slowly or are brusque with customers. The coworkers at my store are complainers and love to gossip. It can be pretty toxic sometimes. But there are some good associates that are hard workers and don't complain a lot. I appreciate them.
Overall, the pay is decent for the area, the management listens to your concerns, the clientele isn't that bad, and there isn't a lack of anything to do.
Pros
Decent pay for entry level, easy job advancement, job security, flexible hours
Cons
management can be iffy, coworkers are gossiping hens
Extremely flexible but poor management
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CASeptember 19, 2015
Extremely flexible hours. You can basically work one day a week if you wanted to. Terrible management, lied to about a raise multiple times. Got "promoted" for what I was told was going to be accompanied by a raise, but once I pointed out that I never received any raise they were quick to jump and say "oh we don't need you for that position anymore!". They try and get you excited and to sell useless products to customers so they can approach a higher profit, but with no benefit on your end. Oh, YOU will get in trouble if you are worked overtime. They do NOT like paying you any extra money if they don't have to.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fun environment, awesome coworkers
Cons
Stingy on payment, lied to multiple times, no chances of being promoted
Productive and fun workplace with new lessons each day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAFebruary 12, 2016
A typical day at work for me was in the paint department. I mixed and matched paint as well us back up cashiering and backing up assistance in other departments. I learned a lot from this company, such as, what certain things are meant for, what color accents what and how to provide exquisite customer service. All of the coworkers I had were such great people. They were always there when you needed back up assistance and management was very understanding. I built a lot of clientele working at OSH, to a point where I could walk down the street and wave to the next five people who passed me. I enjoyed meeting new people and communicating with them on a professional and personal level.
Pros
building clientele, productive, great employees, flexible schedules
Cons
slow, short staffed, not enough pay
Great people to work with, not much room for emprovement.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 9, 2015
Started as a cashier and was moved to a CSR position at a new store.

Moved ahead of multiple people working there who had decades more experience in retail than me, but I was more than capable of the responsibility the job required.

Managements approach to hiring was that "Anyone can sell tools, not everyone can smile." Everyone working there was really great and friendly.
Pros
Happy employees for the most part
Cons
Pay was mediocre. Not much room for promotion.
its a fun work place where you can get alone with everybody
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2016
its a fun and calm place to work, also a lot of great coworkers you can count on. Management is great always there to help you if you need back up. This job has helped me to be better in multitasking. The best part of my job is having our regulars and being able to ask how their project went and having them show us pictures.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAJanuary 8, 2016
this was a good job as far as getting requested time off for school, however i was there a year and only got a .10 cent raise . so i had to leave and find a better paying job.
Great people, Poor management and pay
Cashier/Customer Service/Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 27, 2016
I worked here for over a year and a half. The manager doesn't care about anyone but herself. If you are a threat to her authority, she fires you. The associates for the most part are great people, but they don't care about their employees like they should. They promise good hours, but you'll get about 8 a week as a cashier. My advice, work at Lowes.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Management, Pay, Hours
Productive, busy, friendly
Cashier, CSR, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Joaquin County, CADecember 12, 2015
Work starts off slow with ability to get work done, but as the work day continues; my job description becomes spread out throughout the store. One minute I'm a cashier, next a hardware expert, then a paint specialist and an electrical associate. Then I get moved to customer service representative. You have to be able to multitask, while giving excellent customer service.
Pros
great for beginner job, friendly environment, friendly customers, great department leads
Cons
new management frequently, job description is vague
Slow paced, easy going, sometimes mundane
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CANovember 2, 2015
A typical day at OSH included running go backs, collecting carts sweeping, and ringing transactions. I learned how to use and communicate over a paging systems with my fellow coworkers =. Management was fantastic, they had great people in every management position that really seemed to have a lot of knowledge and seemed to genuinely be happy with their jobs. The co-workers were ok for the most part, they had a lot of elderly cashiers I worker with however, and they weren't able to contribute as mush as some others. The hardest part of the job was being asked a question about a specific item(hardware) that was difficult to answer. The best part of the job was connecting with frequent customers.
Pros
Hour lunches
Osh ok to working for if it a second job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2016
This used to be a great place to work for but every two years there always a new middle and upper management at the west LA location. A typical day for me was helping customers and stocking shelf's and doing whatever task need to be done that day.I learn a lot about home improvements at osh.
If this your second job it ok for that but as your only job then you find that you be asking every week to get hours and very low pay and low raises.Also you notice that sometime depending on a Manager and your knowledge of a department you would know more then that particular manager because upper management play favoritism promote less qualified individuals to be above more knowledgeable Sales Associates.One more bad thing to keep in mind policies would change quite often and some them are highly unfair.
The best part of working here for me was the regular co-workers some them became great friends to this day and really care about you also some customers are awesome and free food from time to time as will as a decent discount.
Pros
Regular co-worker, Free lunches
Cons
Managers, Few benefits, Few promoted, Low raises and pay.
Awesome place
Cashier Instructor (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMay 23, 2016
Every job has ups and downs you just have to go with the flow. I really enjoyed my job here. Loved working with the people I worked with. They worked around my schedule when I was pregnant with my daughter and after. Managers were great and open minded to what you had to say. For me the most enjoyable part was working with the public. Hardest part would have been closing one night and turning around to open the next morning.
Pros
flexabililty
Cons
no set hours
ok
Receiving Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 4, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
fun and great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAMarch 13, 2016
me personally, im geared towards helping others. and Orchard focused on that for customer service, I would show up, help people until they were satisfied, then go home feeling like i did a good thing. The only hard part would have been working in a department i wasn't really knowledgeable of, but for the most part they kept me in places i knew. The best part was always hearing a thank you from a customer, or learning something i didnt know before
Great Place, Even If You Aren't A DIYer!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Antelope, CAJune 16, 2016
Great staff and management, decent hours weekly, typical minimum wage pay. Never a dull moment, with fun and happy regulars who balance out the grumps in one's day. Management takes care of those who prove their worth and reliability.
Pros
Great empployees, managers, and customers.
Cons
Typical cons of retail.
Very disorganized
HR Generalist/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 15, 2016
Not a great place to work, Management is not together, very unorganized. The employees are not well taken care of. bgfbhdstgdsrbvgdrvdsarvdrvdfvfdvfdvvvvvvvvvvvvvfdvfdvfd
Don't work there.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAJuly 3, 2015
Very Orwellian corporate culture. Little or no job advancement. No benefits and few hours. Low wages with very rare and very small raises. Lots of bullying and suspicion. Company appears to be managed by loss prevention dept.
Pros
Easy to get hired.
Cons
bullying, low wages, few hours.
Unstable and confusing job and company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2016
People, Leadership, rules changes seemed to happen every day. Unprofessional Human Resources staff and poor leadership at every level as those in an hourly position are treated like peasants and afforded little opportunity for growth.
Pros
Immediate supervisor
Cons
Store Manager and opportunity
Wonderful people to work with, mostly young adults.
Lead Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CAMay 20, 2016
I enjoyed my employment, however the managers treated subordinates poorly. When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.
Pros
Great customers, products and staff.
Cons
Autocratic leadership
alright
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORDecember 4, 2015
it was an okay place to work. but you had to fight to get what you wanted even if it was for the simplest things. the people there were fun to work with once you got into their circle which was not always easy.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
management help
Fun and hardworking company.
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 3, 2015
During a work shift I would help customers with anything and everything they needed, typically recommend what supplies they would need for certain projects around the house and offer my advice. While working at Orchard Supply, I learned how to operate a register, key cutters, table saws, hand tools, and lastly how to properly deal with unsatisfied customers. Management was great to all its employees, including myself. Whenever approached by management, I felt comfortable and useful around them, they were able to communicate at the same level without abusing their power and still be motivational. Finally, Orchard Supply's management utilizes their employees skills, placing them in areas in which they excel, rather than starting them all in one position. During my first week at Orchard Supply, I truly had my co-workers to thank. No matter how many questions I asked, each co-worker was just as happy to help me with whatever I needed and whenever I needed. All of my work at Orchard Supply was enjoyable and I never found anything too hard for me, if anything was every difficult for me personally, I always had someone to help me with it. To conclude, the most enjoyable part of this job was learning new skills and interacting with customers.
Pros
Learned a lot

2.7