Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

Great people, Poor management and pay
Cashier/Customer Service/Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 27, 2016
I worked here for over a year and a half. The manager doesn't care about anyone but herself. If you are a threat to her authority, she fires you. The associates for the most part are great people, but they don't care about their employees like they should. They promise good hours, but you'll get about 8 a week as a cashier. My advice, work at Lowes.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Management, Pay, Hours
Very disorganized
HR Generalist/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 15, 2016
Not a great place to work, Management is not together, very unorganized. The employees are not well taken care of. bgfbhdstgdsrbvgdrvdsarvdrvdfvfdvfdvvvvvvvvvvvvvfdvfdvfd
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAJanuary 8, 2016
this was a good job as far as getting requested time off for school, however i was there a year and only got a .10 cent raise . so i had to leave and find a better paying job.
Really great place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2016
Love working at this place. Manager, asst manager, and co workers are awesome. Enjoyed helping the customers. There really is no hard part about this job. Would go back to this company for sure.
friendly place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 31, 2015
good place to work
gives you plenty ideas
customers are fun to help with ideas
different departments to learn in and room to grow
Pros
customer service awards
Productive, busy, friendly
Cashier, CSR, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Joaquin County, CADecember 12, 2015
Work starts off slow with ability to get work done, but as the work day continues; my job description becomes spread out throughout the store. One minute I'm a cashier, next a hardware expert, then a paint specialist and an electrical associate. Then I get moved to customer service representative. You have to be able to multitask, while giving excellent customer service.
Pros
great for beginner job, friendly environment, friendly customers, great department leads
Cons
new management frequently, job description is vague
great place to work
CASHIER/CSM/PAINT DEPARTMENT (Former Employee) –  Antelope, CADecember 11, 2015
loved my job there, i started out as cashier and got promoted to csm quick, the managers there were wonderful people, my typical day was to run the register or the paint dept, help customers, my co workers were amazing and fun to work with.
alright
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORDecember 4, 2015
it was an okay place to work. but you had to fight to get what you wanted even if it was for the simplest things. the people there were fun to work with once you got into their circle which was not always easy.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
management help
Customer Service, stocker (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CANovember 24, 2015
I enjoyed helping customers with there projects and finding the items they needed and showing them how to use them , i would still work there if it did not close .
Pros
all positive
Cons
not enough hours
fun place
Receiving/Electrical manager (Former Employee) –  CANovember 5, 2015
overall good company to work for.Would recommend a friend.I really enjoyed all of my coworkers,I miss them all.Ihope I can go back there.
was a good place
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 4, 2015
was a good place to work. Needed more training with employees, many employees were not trained and just thrown out on the floor
Pros
great hours
Cons
unorganized
ok
Receiving Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 4, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Fun and hardworking company.
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 3, 2015
During a work shift I would help customers with anything and everything they needed, typically recommend what supplies they would need for certain projects around the house and offer my advice. While working at Orchard Supply, I learned how to operate a register, key cutters, table saws, hand tools, and lastly how to properly deal with unsatisfied customers. Management was great to all its employees, including myself. Whenever approached by management, I felt comfortable and useful around them, they were able to communicate at the same level without abusing their power and still be motivational. Finally, Orchard Supply's management utilizes their employees skills, placing them in areas in which they excel, rather than starting them all in one position. During my first week at Orchard Supply, I truly had my co-workers to thank. No matter how many questions I asked, each co-worker was just as happy to help me with whatever I needed and whenever I needed. All of my work at Orchard Supply was enjoyable and I never found anything too hard for me, if anything was every difficult for me personally, I always had someone to help me with it. To conclude, the most enjoyable part of this job was learning new skills and interacting with customers.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Slow paced, easy going, sometimes mundane
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CANovember 2, 2015
A typical day at OSH included running go backs, collecting carts sweeping, and ringing transactions. I learned how to use and communicate over a paging systems with my fellow coworkers =. Management was fantastic, they had great people in every management position that really seemed to have a lot of knowledge and seemed to genuinely be happy with their jobs. The co-workers were ok for the most part, they had a lot of elderly cashiers I worker with however, and they weren't able to contribute as mush as some others. The hardest part of the job was being asked a question about a specific item(hardware) that was difficult to answer. The best part of the job was connecting with frequent customers.
Pros
Hour lunches
Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pinole CaOctober 20, 2015
It was a very Productive and fun place for me to work. I also learned a lot of valuable things from working there, everyone working there was very supportive and showed me a basic work environment structure.
cashier and faced items
Cashier (Former Employee) –  san jose,caOctober 20, 2015
worked the cashier, coupon days it was busy but on regular days it was pretty slow. worked in the garden a few times. the energy of the workplace wasn't great
Hired for Human Resource Manager and than promoted to merchandising manager
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Napa and Concord, CaliforniaOctober 13, 2015
operate all the day to day operations in a home improvement retial store. Scheduled up to 85 employees weekly. Responsible to acheiving all sales goals set forth by the company. Maintained a safe and happy work enviroment. Responsible for Inventory control and shrink percents every year. Hired and trained all new employees for every department. Implemented all merchandiseing floor plans and also rework end caps weekly to help move product quickly. The job had its share of challenges but I would not say there was anything "hard" about it as long as you did your job to the best of your ability than everything else is smooth sailing. I did enjoy learning so much from customers about general contracting and remodeling homes.
Pros
Merchandise all my end caps my own way so I was able to be more creative with new product.
Cons
We had alot of Ceos, Vice presidents, go within a year so the consistency at the corporate level was difficult to follow at times, alot of computer programs were twsted in my store so we had to iron out the issues.
Great people to work with, not much room for emprovement.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 9, 2015
Started as a cashier and was moved to a CSR position at a new store.

Moved ahead of multiple people working there who had decades more experience in retail than me, but I was more than capable of the responsibility the job required.

Managements approach to hiring was that "Anyone can sell tools, not everyone can smile." Everyone working there was really great and friendly.
Pros
Happy employees for the most part
Cons
Pay was mediocre. Not much room for promotion.
Education experience
Garden, Plumbing associate (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 1, 2015
Fun and educational place to work. Taught me a lot about gardening and building supplies. Customer service was and still is very important to this business. I enjoyed that because when customer are happy the employees day is fulfilled.
Pros
knowledge for everyday life
Cons
late hours and weekends
Friendly co workers, nice management
Forklift driver (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 28, 2015
The employers at Orchard Supply considers each employee as family and is helpful when it comes to helping me get hours and calls me in early for extra time. I would consider the hardest part of my job to be the heat and inpatient customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is driving the forklift and utilizing my customer service skills.
Pros
snacks
Cons
semi lack of communication