Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

Would encourage you to look elsewhere
Customer Service Representative/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 10, 2016
Orchard started off as an okay place to work, but after about tidiest week it just became a drag. Hours are limited, management is awful, and don't expect your effort to be recognized. Opportunities for advancement are nearly nonexistent, and if you don't fit the mold the managers want, don't expect any type of benefits in your direction no matter how hard you work, if you're always early anything, you won't get it. Clovis Orchard needs to clean their slate and start over if it expects to lower their turn over rate of employees.
Cons
Stagnant job with a lot of responsibility
Nursery Waterer/Nursery Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAAugust 21, 2016
Everyone is expected to carry out furniture and set it up at 7 am, along with the managers who try to make small talk. Nobody was excited to be there, it was clear most people weren't happy with the job- which made work less enjoyable. Customer service is emphasized but the priority is clearly sales, as the managers push numbers and for everyone available to "sell, sell, sell". Summertime is busiest and hours are plentiful, but only key carriers are allowed to be scheduled full time. I didn't get a pay raise in the time I worked for OSH, but other employees reported receiving $0.03- 0.15 after two or three years. The employees do a lot of work, sometimes covering three or four departments, trying to make sales goals, and closing the store- for menial pay or respect.
Pros
20% employee discount, 35 hrs a week in summer, free lunch on no sales tax weekends
Cons
a lot of lifting, no advancement, work days were exhausting
Old Fashioned
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 13, 2016
If you're a white male, you'll go far. Low pay, absolutely no raises, and no care about you as a person. All management wants is a warm body to cover a shift. Corporate was even worse. If you complained to HR, they told your manager what you said. No room to advance at all.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Low pay, hours.
Fast Pace Workplace
Security Cashier- (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95126January 12, 2017
Orchard Supply is a very family orientated company to work at! Management at this company take pride in their stores and their employees!
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
bi weekly pay
great place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Napa, CADecember 8, 2016
orchard is a busy fun great place to work flexible scheduling nice managers and a good benefits program very nice place to shop and work if you are looking for a good spot
Osh ok to working for if it a second job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2016
This used to be a great place to work for but every two years there always a new middle and upper management at the west LA location. A typical day for me was helping customers and stocking shelf's and doing whatever task need to be done that day.I learn a lot about home improvements at osh.
If this your second job it ok for that but as your only job then you find that you be asking every week to get hours and very low pay and low raises.Also you notice that sometime depending on a Manager and your knowledge of a department you would know more then that particular manager because upper management play favoritism promote less qualified individuals to be above more knowledgeable Sales Associates.One more bad thing to keep in mind policies would change quite often and some them are highly unfair.
The best part of working here for me was the regular co-workers some them became great friends to this day and really care about you also some customers are awesome and free food from time to time as will as a decent discount.
Pros
Regular co-worker, Free lunches
Cons
Managers, Few benefits, Few promoted, Low raises and pay.
good place overall to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAJanuary 3, 2017
. Maintain the tools department. Make sure restrooms were clean by end of shift. Learned a lot about tools as well as cleaning. Improved my interpersonal people skills, was a team player and learned how make better use of my time, company rules and regulations e.g OSHA. Management was fair. Never had a problem with any of them. Had good coworkers. They would step up if needed to do other jobs than primary job duties as well as myself. The hardest part of my job was after all work was done, trying to stay busy especially when it was slow. The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was real busy, being able to communicate and help customers as well as doing secondary job duties as they arose
Pros
work well with availability
Great Work environment
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 12, 2016
Orchard is a great place to work every day we get the same customers from a certain radius from a 10-20mile radius. They're basically the same customers who work construction, or need plants, and small parts for their do it yourself projects.

Working at Orchard, i've came to this understanding that most customers are all different and how you have to gauge what they want and how to access the situation properly.

Management is really great, communication is used efficicently. if any thing is wrong. they access the situation accordingly and act upon what is needed.

co-workers are amazing.
most enjoyable part is the different people who come in the store and how they all are unique.
Pros
They bring food when we do a great job
Cons
not enough coverage
Productive work place , largest orchard in company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CADecember 15, 2016
Loved working as a sales associate , the people where great and the customers where nice friendly people. As a sales associate I was able to help people find exactly what they were looking for.
Pros
Flexible hours with room for advancement .
Cons
High turn over in management
Good First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 26, 2016
Great Beginners Job/ Retail Environment, It's a great place to start to get your retail experience, Cashiering, Customer Service and cross-selling.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited, Sometimes managers are hired from the outside and from other industries.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CADecember 16, 2016
Orchard Supply offers flexible hours and a good work environment. Management is fair and accessible to hourly workers. The job was fun and I was sorry to have to leave.
Pros
Good management and flexible hours.
Cons
None.
A typical day at work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 14, 2016
Coming to work on time, and ready to just start my day. I learn something new everyday. I grow with my co workers, as a team. The hardest part of the job is when you're the new person and you're the one asking so many questions. the managers seemed irritated. the most enjoyable is having customers satisfied, knowing each day is going to be a good day keep positive everyday. getting to know customers, that always made customers happy when you knew them also by there name.
Pros
breaks on time, customers
Cons
short hours, manamget
Extremely flexible but poor management
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CASeptember 19, 2015
Extremely flexible hours. You can basically work one day a week if you wanted to. Terrible management, lied to about a raise multiple times. Got "promoted" for what I was told was going to be accompanied by a raise, but once I pointed out that I never received any raise they were quick to jump and say "oh we don't need you for that position anymore!". They try and get you excited and to sell useless products to customers so they can approach a higher profit, but with no benefit on your end. Oh, YOU will get in trouble if you are worked overtime. They do NOT like paying you any extra money if they don't have to.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fun environment, awesome coworkers
Cons
Stingy on payment, lied to multiple times, no chances of being promoted
Great place to learn
Department Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 23, 2016
The co-workers are great. Easy to work with. Family like feeling at work. The best part of my job is stocking and cleaning when given the time to work on it. The hardest part is not enough time in a day. You have to learn everything in the whole store so that you can cover when short handed. Management is fair. Over all picture I'm very happy that I had the opportunity to work for Orchard Supply Hardware. I've learned the do's and don'ts of retail.
Stocker crew
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 21, 2016
I have fun at work overnight and enjoy and work team. The company looks amazing. Co workers are friendly. Helping to thier co workers alot. I worked as stocker for 3 years i quited because I leave bad bosses.
Pros
Break time for an hour. Good paid an hours and extra days for work
Cons
Break time for 10 minutes. No paid time off. No overtime.
Productive and professional
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CAOctober 17, 2016
this was a great place to work. co workers and management all worked together to complete goals and keep a calm professional environment. encourage communication to better assist team and gain customer satisfaction. capalized on customers needs before other work duties.
Was a great job
Office Manager/HR POC/Front End Lead (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CANovember 14, 2016
What a great place to work. I learned so many things, not only about job related tasks but home improvement too! Working in a retail environment can seem one dimensional, but in a area of sales related to home improvement you absorb so much information you can't help but learn! I worked with a great team, sorry to see the company downsize.
Pros
Flexable scheduling
Cons
Rate of pay was a bit low for the area
Productive work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 8, 2017
Great environment to work in. Enjoyed returning customers. You will have a small town/small store vibe. Management was great to work with. We all felt like family
fun company
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 25, 2016
management is ok, no advancement opportunities. I enjoy coworkers and customers. Typical day is good not too many bad customers
Cons
no advancements
It's a job
Office Clerical Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAMarch 9, 2016
Usually the days go pretty smoothly, but my location is severely understaffed, so it can get pretty hectic.
The management is average. I've had fantastic managers and I've had poor managers. Our district manager is actually pretty good, though I don't agree with some of the changes he's making.
The coworkers aren't that great, with the exception of a select few. The employees are mostly older, like upper middle age and into senior status, and most of them work slowly or are brusque with customers. The coworkers at my store are complainers and love to gossip. It can be pretty toxic sometimes. But there are some good associates that are hard workers and don't complain a lot. I appreciate them.
Overall, the pay is decent for the area, the management listens to your concerns, the clientele isn't that bad, and there isn't a lack of anything to do.
Pros
Decent pay for entry level, easy job advancement, job security, flexible hours
Cons
management can be iffy, coworkers are gossiping hens

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orchard Supply Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8