Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

meh
sales (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2016
not the greatest place to work due to upper management issues. Ive been there for a month and it is very dissapointing not seeing any positive changes.
nursery cahsier
Nursery/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 1, 2016
Loved working in the nursery with all the plants and flowers. Was fun and a new experience for me. Boss was friendly and very helpful. Other nursery employees were also friendly and helpful.
Pros
working outside
Cons
the hot days
Awesome place
Cashier Instructor (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAMay 23, 2016
Every job has ups and downs you just have to go with the flow. I really enjoyed my job here. Loved working with the people I worked with. They worked around my schedule when I was pregnant with my daughter and after. Managers were great and open minded to what you had to say. For me the most enjoyable part was working with the public. Hardest part would have been closing one night and turning around to open the next morning.
Pros
flexabililty
Cons
no set hours
its a fun work place where you can get alone with everybody
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2016
its a fun and calm place to work, also a lot of great coworkers you can count on. Management is great always there to help you if you need back up. This job has helped me to be better in multitasking. The best part of my job is having our regulars and being able to ask how their project went and having them show us pictures.
Great people to work with, not much room for emprovement.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 9, 2015
Started as a cashier and was moved to a CSR position at a new store.

Moved ahead of multiple people working there who had decades more experience in retail than me, but I was more than capable of the responsibility the job required.

Managements approach to hiring was that "Anyone can sell tools, not everyone can smile." Everyone working there was really great and friendly.
Pros
Happy employees for the most part
Cons
Pay was mediocre. Not much room for promotion.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Pasadena, CAJanuary 8, 2016
this was a good job as far as getting requested time off for school, however i was there a year and only got a .10 cent raise . so i had to leave and find a better paying job.
Wonderful People to work around.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 9, 2016
Work days goes fast as customers keep you busy. The most enjoyable part of the job would be being able to provide great customer service .The customers love it.
Great people, Poor management and pay
Cashier/Customer Service/Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 27, 2016
I worked here for over a year and a half. The manager doesn't care about anyone but herself. If you are a threat to her authority, she fires you. The associates for the most part are great people, but they don't care about their employees like they should. They promise good hours, but you'll get about 8 a week as a cashier. My advice, work at Lowes.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Management, Pay, Hours
Friendly and helpful crew with good interaction.
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Yuba City, CASeptember 26, 2012
A typical day at work at OSH is never boring. There were always new sales and promotions and products. Signing in for work was easy and quick. I learned never to think you know all about being a cashier even when you have done it for years. Management was always easy to reach and quick to respond to any issues or concerns an employee had. My co-workers ranged from retires to freshman in college and they all had upbeat friendly personalities and were always willing to cover or switch swifts. The hardest part of this job was that there were some customers that just wouldn't leave happy no matter what you tried to do for them. The customers however were also the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
cashiers received a store discount.
Cons
no benefits and the schedule was never the same from week to week.
Productive, busy, friendly
Cashier, CSR, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Joaquin County, CADecember 12, 2015
Work starts off slow with ability to get work done, but as the work day continues; my job description becomes spread out throughout the store. One minute I'm a cashier, next a hardware expert, then a paint specialist and an electrical associate. Then I get moved to customer service representative. You have to be able to multitask, while giving excellent customer service.
Pros
great for beginner job, friendly environment, friendly customers, great department leads
Cons
new management frequently, job description is vague
A great learning experience
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJuly 6, 2016
I was hired to help open a new OSH, and it was a great experience. We learned so much setting up a new store with 54,000 items. I worked in nearly every department part time while going to school.
Slow paced, easy going, sometimes mundane
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Moraga, CANovember 2, 2015
A typical day at OSH included running go backs, collecting carts sweeping, and ringing transactions. I learned how to use and communicate over a paging systems with my fellow coworkers =. Management was fantastic, they had great people in every management position that really seemed to have a lot of knowledge and seemed to genuinely be happy with their jobs. The co-workers were ok for the most part, they had a lot of elderly cashiers I worker with however, and they weren't able to contribute as mush as some others. The hardest part of the job was being asked a question about a specific item(hardware) that was difficult to answer. The best part of the job was connecting with frequent customers.
Pros
Hour lunches
Do not work there..please
cashier (Former Employee) –  fountain valley californiaMarch 12, 2013
The management is terrible.they treat employees terrible. Watch out.no raises..no matter what you do for them it is never enough...you dont get hours..they have their favorites..The manager Is such a terrible man..Dont work there please.Employees have just walked out on them..the best employees get hurt the worst..when your review comes around thats due.they dont have time to give it to you..no raises so dont plan on that.The manager Of the store is the worst man you could ever work for..He talks to other employees behind your back..he like takes a knife and cuts you up until you leave.Then he cuts your hours to 4 hours a week.
Pros
nothing at all
Cons
please dont waist your time.the worst place to walk into
Great place to work for the most part.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clayton, CAMay 23, 2013
I have worked for the company off and on for 8 years. Worked in multiple stores and departments. Have lead departments and was key Carrier at two stores.

Management on store level can be great at times and horrible at others. Currently have an Assistant Manager that was hired off the street with a supposed construction background, he wouldn't know which end of a hammer to use. He has no personality which equates to poor management skills. The other managers are great. Orchard needs to implement a policy to promote from within, it will give them better quality managers and better moral showing you can move up.

Pay and hours could be better. If they brought more full time staffers on there would be more stability on the floor. Also a more regular schedule format would help.
Pros
Free meals for doing above expectations, learning environment and for the most part good customers
Cons
Lack of affordable benefits. Not following through with increases and promotions.
Unstable and confusing job and company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2016
People, Leadership, rules changes seemed to happen every day. Unprofessional Human Resources staff and poor leadership at every level as those in an hourly position are treated like peasants and afforded little opportunity for growth.
Pros
Immediate supervisor
Cons
Store Manager and opportunity
Wonderful people to work with, mostly young adults.
Lead Floor Sales (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CAMay 20, 2016
I enjoyed my employment, however the managers treated subordinates poorly. When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.
Pros
Great customers, products and staff.
Cons
Autocratic leadership
fun and great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAMarch 13, 2016
me personally, im geared towards helping others. and Orchard focused on that for customer service, I would show up, help people until they were satisfied, then go home feeling like i did a good thing. The only hard part would have been working in a department i wasn't really knowledgeable of, but for the most part they kept me in places i knew. The best part was always hearing a thank you from a customer, or learning something i didnt know before
Don't work there.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CAJuly 3, 2015
Very Orwellian corporate culture. Little or no job advancement. No benefits and few hours. Low wages with very rare and very small raises. Lots of bullying and suspicion. Company appears to be managed by loss prevention dept.
Pros
Easy to get hired.
Cons
bullying, low wages, few hours.
ok
Receiving Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 4, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Fun Company but has downfalls
Appliance Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 14, 2013
don't expect to "move up" in the company. There are very few oportunities or positions available for this. But the vibe at Orchard is fun and very much like family. At our store there have been pay freezes for 5 years or so, but this year people are getting some raises. Management is overworked and paid an "alright" amount but not when you figure the hours they put in. great company, good people, just not great for a career unless you already have management experience.
Pros
full time benefits and vacation
Cons
retail pay scale

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orchard Supply Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8