Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware Employer Reviews

n/a
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), West Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2014
This is a job that I don't recommend making a career. This is however a good job for a college student because they work around your school schedule.
It's a eduactional type of job
Cashier/ CSR/ Sign Maker (Current Employee), Torrance, CAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: everyone gets along, friendly environment
I enjoy working here. it is a fast paced job and I get to help customers when they are purchasing their items. I like the working environment and my co-workers
Expect to be paid nothing for a hard back breaking job
Pick Up/Stocking/Receiving Associate (Former Employee), Modesto, CA.February 19, 2014
Pros: you get a minuscule amount of money bi weekly to pay bills with
Cons: not enough money to enjoy life with, long hours, extremely back breaking work, you're unappreciated by management.
If you work in the back of the store in pick up or receiving. Expect to hurt your back many times, hurt other body parts many times, and go home sore every time. Don't expect to be compensated well for it either. The managers will only push you harder and tell you that you need to work harder...

The management is very unprofessional, extremely unintelligent, – more... might I add very pushy.

If you get a fork lift certification don't expect a raise like any other warehouse would give you. Expect to have an even larger work load added to your belt.

I'm not an angry ex employee talking down on the company because I lost my job or something, I did indeed hate working there, but I like many people knew I needed to do my job until I found a better opportunity in the world in which I did thankfully.

Like I said, they don't pay people enough to work in those positions, most warehouses would pay about $11 - $15 an hour. OSH only pays a whopping $8.00 an hour.

The only reason they have ads up for pick up associates and receiving associates is because they actually cannot keep employees back there for more than a few months. People realize how awful it is and end up quitting. – less
Fun atmosphere
Security Cashier (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Great employees and great customers as well. Being that it is retail, your hours change but they were very flexible.
Fun place to work
Lead, Office/Service - Key Carrier (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAFebruary 11, 2014
Fast pace retail, learned so much from past and present managers. Really like my co-workers. Enjoy working as a key carrier (manager on duty). Liked meeting people. I enjoy going to work, talking to the associates and customers
Good co-workers
Customer Service Desk/Cashier/Lead/Key Carrier (Former Employee), El Cerrito, CAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: good co-workers, free lunch
Cons: healthcare, rude customers
typical day at work just helping customers and making sure everything is in order. Management will help with whatever was needed and co-workers will help each other.
The hardest part of my job i feel was at the beginning when i have to be in charge of the whole store but as i did it more often i got the chance to get the hang of it.
Ok place.
CONSULTANT/DEPARTMENT MANAGER, SALES (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAFebruary 10, 2014
The Rancho store had terrible management, but fellow associates were the best!
Poor management and lack of training oppurtunities
Sales representative/sales rep (Former Employee), Vacaville, CaFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: consistent income
Cons: high stress enviroment and little motication
Cashier and sales rep.
Little incentives to advance in company.
OSH was a company that encouraged new ideas.
District Operations Merchandise Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: it was fast paced and had excellent associates.
Cons: it was sold to a group that didn't understand the culture.
I quickly advanced at Orchard. They appreciated eye for detail and were willing to try new ideas. The people are great. They have a family mentality and everyone had good focus on the customer. Management was quick to recognize talent and move that person along. The hardest part of the job we keeping up with the quick growth of the company. When the – more... company sold it was difficult to relate to the new upper management that was gutting the departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was training store managers. – less
First Job
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Vacaville, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: first job
Cons: different managers came frequently
Learned how to work the cash registers, quickly advancing to head cashier, and customer service. First job, and was able to advance quickly
Nice place to work at and chill
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Van Nuys, CADecember 27, 2013
Its a chill place to work at and fun to work with coworkers. Im a cashier. Ive been wotking here for 8 years
Great Place to Work! Great People!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Sacramento, CADecember 15, 2013
The people of orchard and the work environment are great, very friendly, goal oriented, driven, genuine people.
Sad place to work for
sales floor associate (Current Employee), Sacramento, CADecember 11, 2013
Pros: free lunches few times a year, bingo for money
Cons: horrible raises if any, no hours for you but everyone else
Typical day, customers put you down cause they think their better then you, the store boss tells you, your not doing a good job no matter how hard you try.

What I learned...... how to cut glass, mix paint, drive a forklift, dont trust people

Managment, they'll never think your worth a raise no matter how many years you work there or how many years – more... youv've been without a raise, and they will tell you they're going to promote you but then promote someone elese to that position instead and then tell you why you didnt get it with a smile on their face

Co-workers, the nicest people you'll ever meet, hug friendly people, not affraid to speak their mind and its usually what you're think about work too.

Hardest part of the job next to actually showing up is putting away the heavy stock, building displays and setting them up every night, and dealing with rude customers.

most enjoyable, working with my co-workers, going to product seminars and winning items. – less
Friendly place to work
department lead (Former Employee), Redwood City, CADecember 6, 2013
Pros: easy environment
Cons: pay
management is below average, work day is fairly easy and enjoyable. Work load isn't hard and co-workers are eager to help each other. Typical day is come in stock what you can early, help customer and keep your area clean.
Great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fremont, CANovember 18, 2013
Pros: hour lunches
Cons: low pay
My typical of work would be running the front end registers and what i learned from the job is how to supervise a group of people. Management was not good in my eyes. I believe they did not respect me as an adult. My co workers were great people and made the job easier. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the stress of the job and management – more... on my back. The most enjoyable part was the great customers and the friendships i have made till this day. – less
Love the people, just not enough hours.
Cashier (Former Employee), Chico, CANovember 9, 2013
Pros: loved my co-workers
Cons: low pay, no room for advancement.
The work enviornment was great, I loved the people I worked for and with. I had about a 40 minute drive to and from work everyday, and it just wasn't paying out for the 4 hour shifts I was getting about twice a week. There also isn't much room for advancement, which was a downfall...but I enjoyed working there so I didn't let it affect my working there. – more... If I would've gotten more hours, I'd still be there. – less
Company started to go gown hill
Department Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CANovember 7, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: delays in breaks often never taken, health benefits never updated
Co-workers often didn't call or show up for work, conflicting hours half the other staff in other departments didn't show up. Poor Management of the main Store manager.
productive if not interesting
sales associate (Former Employee), 26565 N bouquet canyon road, santa claritaNovember 5, 2013
A typical day at that local was slow but sometimes busy, mostly kept the stone clean and helped customers through out the store.

Learned a bit of plumbing, electrical, paint, and industrial.

The management was normal, but the assistant manager was hands-on and did most of the heavy work needed on the floor like front-end displays, major and minor – more... resets, movement of gondolas, and just about anything else that needed to be done.

the core team that i worked with was well versed in their areas of expertise, and was fun to work with them.

the more difficult aspects of the job was dealing angry customers, however I've learnt, the hard way, how to deal with them and satisfy their needs.

the enjoyable part of the job is meeting interesting people and helping customers with all matter of problems as well as helping my co-workers. – less
great experience
Customer Service (Former Employee), Modesto, CANovember 1, 2013
I learned and gained a lot of knowledge and customer service experience at OSH. I am grateful for the opportunities that came in my life. Great people skills and well organized.
Very good place to work for a young adult
Plumbing lead (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2013
Pros: management is great
Cons: pay isn't great
I really enjoyed my time at orchard management made it real easy for me to be there as long as I was. The only reason why I'm not there anymore is because they closed my store down due to their bankruptcy.. It can be hard work but if you're the hard working type you will have no problem.

About Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware supplies California's do-it-yourselfers.┬áIt operates more than 85 home centers in the Golden State, from – Read more