Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

A sinking ship.
Workbench/ Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Buena Park, CASeptember 1, 2017
I used to love working here. Good corporate culture, possibilities for advancement, and a genuinely caring leadership group. Now that Lowe's is worried about the losses suffered financially, the dumpster fire has started. Cut hours, running stores with inadequate staffing, uncaring or inept management, and a general air of despair haunt the sales floor.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Skeleton crews, no replacement of losses to attrition, no real chance for advancement, first hand experience working for a company going bankrupt for the second time
Retail
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 28, 2017
Nice place to work. Friendly staff and management, Clean environment. Very big on customer service. Shifts are easy to work with if you have another job or school.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not enough hours
Enjoyable place to work.
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 23, 2017
Orchard Supply Hardware is a good company to work for and gives stores the opportunity to make it better. With that, you must be selective on which store you work for because where some stores are great to be at; there are some that are also not. Full time positions are desired by associates who desperately need the money however you wave any work/life balance when you take on that role. The money is competitive with other retailers, possibly leaning to the lower end.

My recommendation is, take the job if you are looking to stay busy. But just be part time and enjoy your life as well. You will miss it, if you take the full time role. Schedules are at random and are never set. Corporate has made this a requirement, to provide equal opportunity amongst all associates.
Pros
Discounts, Healthcare, Great PTO
Cons
No work/life balance, no set schedules, little compensation
Do not recommend at all.
Everything (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 18, 2017
I thought this would just be a temporary job, but wow this store is so unbalanced. Managers have favorites, Very unorganized, behind on everything, and a lot of drama.
Pros
n/a
Cons
hours are not good
Orchard supply
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAAugust 15, 2017
I really liked it at first. Not enough hours I. was told I would get 30. hours. They cut. About 80 percent of employees hours. They Don't offer benefits .
Pros
20 percent Discount
Cons
No Benefits
Customer centric
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 7, 2017
fast paced old company with a "start up" feel environment
leadership team encourages transparency and all owning the company's success together. Leadership are invested in growing their teams.
Good first real job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hanford, CAAugust 4, 2017
learned a lot working here
friendly environment
stocked product on shelfs
watered nursery every morning
helped customers find items they needed
maintained safe work environment
It was ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2017
I loved my actual job of cashiering and talking to customers as well as checking them out, however it being said that you could lose your job if you did not sign enough customers was not cool. There was also no real room to grow in the company for me. The customers were great and so were some coworkers, but company policies sucked.
Building customer relationships
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 23, 2017
I loved working there. I loved seeing the same customers come in, and building customer relationships with them. I loved working with my team, and talking with the customers.
Pros
team members
Cons
part time getting carts in the heat
Interesting
Sales Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 22, 2017
This environment wasn't the best only because it was boring and I didn't receive many hours nor was the pay fair in my opinion. Also I lived very far from he store.
Relatively friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 18, 2017
I was a Paint department associate and responsible for knowledge of paint as well as the process in which you apply the product. I was a seasonal associate as well, selling exterior furniture, barbecues, christmas lights,sheds etc. occasional cashiering throughout the day when needed.
Pros
Gained very useful knowledge, great manager, very nice customers
Good people work at OSH
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 5, 2017
The best thing about working at Orchard Supply Hardware is the people. I'v made great relationships in this company.
Depending on your manager there is great opportunity to move up in the company. I was lucky enough to work up to the corporate office from the store level.
Pros
People
Cons
some managers.
fun friendly atmosphere.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJuly 1, 2017
Typical retail job, lots of customers, colorful employees. register, stocking inventory, basic cleaning and customer service, assembling displays and special orders.
Orchard Supply Hardware In a Nutshell
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 24, 2017
A typical say at Orchard involves many customer and many questions that really make you use your creativity. Having this job has taught me patience, innovation, and confidence. Management is by the rules; there is not much room for movement going of the ladder. The culture of the store is really positive and well managed. The hardest part of my job is coming up with create ways to solve customers problems. My favor part of my job is being challenged.
Pros
Good envirnment, culture, co-workers
Cons
Training
Nursery Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 20, 2017
It was a stressful environment when I was working directly with customers, but luckily they had me in pick-up and in the nursery dept. It was very stressful at times and at others there was no stress at all when the store was almost empty. Management was o.k. the hardest part of the job was with assisting customers. I enjoyed the job when i was working by myself assembling displays and loading or unloading deliveries and or loading customer vehicles.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Associate
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 15, 2017
osh is a great place to work the management is really nice. ive learned so much from this company. the environment is amazing the coworkers are really nice
Unbelievable place to work for.
Hostler Driver (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 12, 2017
I would go back to work for orchard without hesitation. One of the best companies to work for in Ca. They treat you like family benifits are excellent and you wake up every morning wanting to goto work.
great place to work
Repack Stocker (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 12, 2017
this place is a great place to work. work pace was high and management is there when needed. they give you the toold to do the job and trust that the team can get it done.
Pros
oportunities to grow within the company, managment always there to help when needed, great with dealing with any issues that may arrise
Cons
hours distance from home
I have been in the nursery business for over 20 yrs.
Buyer for plants (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 10, 2017
Enjoy working with customers and giving the information on when, where and how to plant their plants. Enjoy working as a team and working hard. Graduated from Mesa CC as a landscape aid and lanscape specialist at the top of my class. Also am a certified horticulturist and plant specialist. Started in the nursery business at the bottom and through many seminars and travel worked my way to the top.
Pros
Get to work with plants and customers again.
Cons
Hope I can work with people that are knowledgeable about plants
Great place to learn
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  DublinJune 5, 2017
OSH was a great place to learn to manage in an environment where contractors and do-it-yourselfers expected a high level of service. As a manager, I had fun problem solving.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Short Staffed