Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware Employer Reviews

Friendly place to work
department lead (Former Employee), Redwood City, CADecember 6, 2013
Pros: easy environment
Cons: pay
management is below average, work day is fairly easy and enjoyable. Work load isn't hard and co-workers are eager to help each other. Typical day is come in stock what you can early, help customer and keep your area clean.
Great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fremont, CANovember 18, 2013
Pros: hour lunches
Cons: low pay
My typical of work would be running the front end registers and what i learned from the job is how to supervise a group of people. Management was not good in my eyes. I believe they did not respect me as an adult. My co workers were great people and made the job easier. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the stress of the job and management – more... on my back. The most enjoyable part was the great customers and the friendships i have made till this day. – less
Love the people, just not enough hours.
Cashier (Former Employee), Chico, CANovember 9, 2013
Pros: loved my co-workers
Cons: low pay, no room for advancement.
The work enviornment was great, I loved the people I worked for and with. I had about a 40 minute drive to and from work everyday, and it just wasn't paying out for the 4 hour shifts I was getting about twice a week. There also isn't much room for advancement, which was a downfall...but I enjoyed working there so I didn't let it affect my working there. – more... If I would've gotten more hours, I'd still be there. – less
Company started to go gown hill
Department Manager (Former Employee), San Jose, CANovember 7, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: delays in breaks often never taken, health benefits never updated
Co-workers often didn't call or show up for work, conflicting hours half the other staff in other departments didn't show up. Poor Management of the main Store manager.
productive if not interesting
sales associate (Former Employee), 26565 N bouquet canyon road, santa claritaNovember 5, 2013
A typical day at that local was slow but sometimes busy, mostly kept the stone clean and helped customers through out the store.

Learned a bit of plumbing, electrical, paint, and industrial.

The management was normal, but the assistant manager was hands-on and did most of the heavy work needed on the floor like front-end displays, major and minor – more... resets, movement of gondolas, and just about anything else that needed to be done.

the core team that i worked with was well versed in their areas of expertise, and was fun to work with them.

the more difficult aspects of the job was dealing angry customers, however I've learnt, the hard way, how to deal with them and satisfy their needs.

the enjoyable part of the job is meeting interesting people and helping customers with all matter of problems as well as helping my co-workers. – less
great experience
Customer Service (Former Employee), Modesto, CANovember 1, 2013
I learned and gained a lot of knowledge and customer service experience at OSH. I am grateful for the opportunities that came in my life. Great people skills and well organized.
Very good place to work for a young adult
Plumbing lead (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2013
Pros: management is great
Cons: pay isn't great
I really enjoyed my time at orchard management made it real easy for me to be there as long as I was. The only reason why I'm not there anymore is because they closed my store down due to their bankruptcy.. It can be hard work but if you're the hard working type you will have no problem.
Provides good customer service and training
Plumbing Sales Associate (Current Employee), La Verne, CAOctober 20, 2013
Pros: fairly steady work. some free lunches or treats during holidays.
Cons: low pay and few benefits.
Overall favorable review. Pleasant place to work.

Supervision and management good to very good.

Co-workers knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.

Changes of location of some items, usually with no notifications make to job a little difficult.

Really enjoy working with, and helping customers.
Very nice place to work.
Sales (Former Employee), Modesto, CAOctober 18, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: not too many breaks
Orchard was great to work, good people and my supervisor was very great at what she does.
OSH life through one persons eyes.
Customer Service Representative, (part-time) (Current Employee), Fresno, CAOctober 17, 2013
A typical day at Orchard Supply Hardware is a day filled with customers who are either finding something to fix their home, or people who are in the business of fixing someone's home. Not only do people come in to upkeep with their homes, but some come in just to talk to the associates who have become like friends. Throughout the day I learned a lot – more... about the situations of everyday life, that leads us to move at a pace that rushes us through the hours that the day. It's a tough situation that just mellows its ways into our schedules without us knowing. Some people are always in a rush when they come through our stores. Of course it's totally understandable! My coworkers have become a great part of my life in and out of work. They have become my family. Everyone is very friendly and nice, and everyone has a story. The atmosphere is a great flow of energy. Without the people that work there, who has become family. I don't know if life at OSH will be the happy as I see it in my own eyes. Even though we work at OSH, our lives has brought a lot of us together as friends. We have gatherings, or lunch and enjoy the company of others. Management at the location that I work at is good. I say that the management team is always behind its staff, and seeks to provide all of use with utmost care and backbone. I can't really say there is no hard part in this job. But I will say that it is a challenge to work at OSH and for me its a great challenge that has brought so many insight into the retail world. My most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to help customers. It makes me happy to help people. – less
very productive and understand company's needs
Floor Associate and stockup (Former Employee), San Leandro, CAOctober 14, 2013
Pros: very easy to learn & get along
Cons: health care would be benefitial
Loading trucks with acurate paperwork and deliveries.
Take instructions and from the menagements and perform the task given. Help other employees as needed. Substantial menagement responsibilities with documentation and handlind cash.
Loading and unloading with proper inventory control with company truck deliveries.
Accomplished the given task well – more... within the specified time. – less
I really enjoyed working there.
Administrative Office Manager (Former Employee), South Pasadena, CAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: working with the customers
Cons: no pay increases
It was a good company to work for until they started letting other companies buy them.
Worked out for part time experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Newark, CAOctober 6, 2013
Gained customer service skills and learned how to communicate with management easily to meet needs i required.
okay work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Merced, CASeptember 27, 2013
It was okay the three years I was at this job. Got along well with my coworkers.
Retail
Industrial associate (Former Employee), Fresno, CASeptember 22, 2013
Cons: slave labor, no recognition, no flexibility, no morals, bankruptcy.
A typical day involved loading for customers that drove through pickup outside in the heat/rain/cold sweating or freezing my butt off, as well as organizing with the forklift and keeping the area clear of trash, debris, and pallets. I also worked on the store floor in the industrial department helping customers.

Was never recognized and never given – more... a raise despite my hard work and discipline for them in the time-span of a year. They did NOT work around my student schedule in semesters to come so I was forced to quit to prioritize my education. There was barely any flexibility in scheduling because the company is so broke they won't higher enough workers. Pickup is downright physical abuse when there is a line of traffic rolling in wanting you to load all of their concrete, soil, bricks, lumber by hand, and when no one will come out to help you when you call on the radio for backup.

Modern day slave labor. – less
Great company to work for.
Office Manager/ Customer Service (Current Employee), Lodi, CAAugust 29, 2013
I worked for Orchard for 32 1/2 years Learned a lot. Would have Loved to work there many more years but my store in Lodi was on of 17 stores to close
My life with Orchard
Store Manager (Current Employee), Torrance, CAAugust 22, 2013
I started working for Orchard in 1998, while going to school. Never did I think it would be my career. Over the years I have worked with so many different people that I have learned a lot from. I worked at one store for almost 10 years...they were my second family. In 2008 we moved to Southern California for a change. After transferring I quickly moved – more... my way up the chain and today I am the Store Manager. Over the years Orchard has changed so much and I am glad that I was able to be part of it. Every day is an adventure with associates and customers. – less
Hardware Company with Good Clientel.
Cahier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Yuba City, CAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: excellent customers and clientel, along with good employees and managers.
Cons: was never able to go full-time with them.
I've enjoyed working with orchard Supply Hardware.
I started working part time in the garden department which I enjoyed, however, their policy at the time was to move around the store and learn how each department works. on my final round I got transferred to the cashier department and was permanently placed their. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time – more... with them, but due to the way our economy is, Orchard fell to the lack of sales and is in bankruptcy at this time and forced to close most of there stores. We are one of those stores. – less
Diverse
Cashier (Former Employee), Concord, CAAugust 18, 2013
This place has a good amount of diversity, majority of the staff is helpful and friendly. Typical day at work would consist of greeting customers, keeping register area clean, and providing customer service. Employees are on top of their work, correcting their mistakes if any are made.
I was more involved in customer satisfaction then the management was.
Associate (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2013
Pros: helping the customers
Cons: poor management
I worked every schedule they requested. I went out of my way to satisfy the customer. I had extensive knowledge of my product and learned of new ones. When my commitment was in question, my managers did not consider me an asset.

About Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware supplies California's do-it-yourselfers. It operates more than 85 home centers in the Golden State, from – Read more