Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews in United States

Inventory Control, Fork Lift Driver, Customer Order processing
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 11, 2015
On a typical day I would interface with Customers and process their orders. Unload delivery trucks, re-stock shelves, perform physical counts, order products as necessary. I would also use a fork lift when necessary.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
it was a part time job.
Great Company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CAFebruary 9, 2015
Management is flexible with schedules if you need time off or are a High School/First Year College Student
Coworkers are always there to help out
Pros
long lunch breaks, nice coworkers, advancement within the company
Working
Pick-Up associate (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 8, 2015
I have worked at Orchard for around a year going on two years and things have been great I have gotten steady hours and have moved up and am learning a lot from my fellow co-workers, and within the store constantly talking with customers I am learning something new everyday.
Pros
could grow within the company
Cons
leak of hours on some days
Cashiering summer job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAFebruary 5, 2015
I was here half a year and went through long hot summer days although working part time, you're on concrete floors and cashiering with another two or three cashiers so it's nice the help is there.
Productive workplace near the beach
Cashier/Customer Service/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CAFebruary 3, 2015
On a typical day at Orchard, I would usually be at work at 5am to stock the store. As usual, I would take care of the outdoor and gardening department. This department consisted of a lot of products that needed to be stocked before or on time with the store would open to the public.I learned where each product was to be placed and learned what each product proclaimed to do. If I was doing my job correctly, the managers would tend to leave me alone and let me do m job. As for working with my co-workers, I did enjoy having the company or just helping me out when times became overwhelming. The hardest part of the job was not getting to every customers question when doing something challenging. What I enjoyed about working at Orchard was getting away from home for just a few hours. Orchard Supply Hardware is located right next to a beach. Working next to a beach and smelling the fresh sea water was the best.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
short breaks, lack of manger input
Management is trying to create a fun balanced place to come to work
Replenishment Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 29, 2015
- There is a lot of interactions with cross functional teams which helps to ensure all teams are in alignment.
- I learned a lot of new systems and there are a lot of knowledgeable people with a lot of tenure and experience to help you along the way.
- Management is trying to create cohesive teams to help you succeed.
- Co-works are great! They are very friendly and are willing to share their experience and tools.
Pros
a lot of systems and tools to help do your job
Cons
the company is an 80 year old start up with growing pains since it was purchased by lowe's
Retail
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 15, 2015
A pretty decent place to work as far as retail jobs go. The management was fair and nice.
good experience, lack of career advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  central valleyDecember 12, 2014
Great people, some with great knowledge and customer service, growing company finding itself.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
tripping over its own vision
Fast paced customer orientated workplace
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 10, 2014
Have to be a people person
deal with unruly customers on a daily basis
if you love retail and home improvement stores orchard is the place to be
Pros
paid holidays for part time employees
working for my grandparents
Warehouse/Pickup Station Lead (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CADecember 2, 2014
operating equipment and directing other employees on what needs to be done on daily basis, co workers were great people, hardest part of the job was making sure things were getting done on time.
Pros
working for grandpa
Cons
responsible for all equipment
OSH helped me Grow!
Department Lead / Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 20, 2014
OSH held great growth opportunities for me. Within a year I was leading the paint department. My fellow employees delighted in helping customers turn home improvement 'Problems' into Solutions. Typical customers questions varied from; "Where can I find ..." to; "I have a broken ... How can I fix it?" It is rewarding to see the smiles on peoples faces - specially when they return with new questions - or with friends requiring assistance. I enjoyed the strong sense of community between our management, our suppliers, the staff and our neighbors.
Cons
i fear an uncertain future for staff with lowes testing robotic sales staff
A Place that is based around giving Great Customer Service
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CANovember 14, 2014
I learned that working at Orchard Supply Hardware was a family oriented company. They pride themselves as being the place to shop for your Home Repairs, Paint, Nursery needs. I loved working with my associates. Training them in areas where they would feel more at home with helping the customers.
Productive store
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 6, 2014
Fun workplace,good coworkers
Excellent training
Have to stay busy
Pros
lots of support from coworkers
Cons
variable hours
Someplace to work if you really need a job.
Receiving/pick-up associate,sales floor associate. (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 5, 2014
A typical day at work would be running around taking care of customers. Learned how to work in hardware, nursery, recieving/ and pick-up, with some cashiering. Management is there to do what they do. The co-workers are absolutely awesome in every way.The hardest part of the job is not going anywhere with the job. Getting to help people is the best part in my experience.
Pros
good people, lost of stuff to learn.
Cons
horrible hours, almost no advancement opportunities, no more than 25 hours total hours for part-time, lack of job security.
an ok place
Pick up Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 22, 2014
this is your basic work environment. management is whatever, they sometimes care about their employees. seems like there is a lot of favoritism here
Plentiful work, Lack of pay
Part-Time Associate (Current Employee) –  Napa, CAOctober 17, 2014
Days at work go by fast, lots of work to do, and keeps you productive. I've learned customer service, and learned how to stay productive when the work environment slows down.
Management is not professional at all. We use radios, the managers will argue over the radio with employees. Obviously a conversation that should take place behind closed doors. I have heard a social security number said over the radio from new employee to manager! They do not give recognition to hard work. It is a minimum wage job (and I am not asking for a pat on the back for every little thing that is done on my part), but with all of the tasks given to each individuals role, you have to work much harder, covering other employees work if needed, or vise versa.
Hardest part is keeping track of all of your tasks. Though not that difficult, more tasks are added to your workload before you can accomplish them. Now, that's not to say it is due to laziness, or poor management of time, simply due to some goals that you are given cannot be accomplished in one work day given with your other daily tasks. (As expected you are to accomplish the task in one day in some cases)
Enjoyable part however is that there has not been a slow day there.Which is something I have come to appreciate from working other jobs where the day dragged on regardless of how hard you worked,
Pros
lots of work, workday goes by fast. flexible work schedules to your needs.
Cons
poor management, stingy on hours, minimum wage, little to no benefits, zero recognition to good work. (three customers have complimented my work to managers, i have yet to hear anything from the managers themselves).
Great place to work at with the right management.
Receiving Manager/ Key Carrier (Former Employee) –  Salinas CAOctober 9, 2014
Its a very good place to work at with great co-workers and alot of team work. Once the management team is worked out then it can be an even better work environment.
Super place
Pickup Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 6, 2014
Lots of lifting and moving of pallets with the fork lift. Learned a lot about lifting techniques that I didn't know about before this position. Management was very prompt and courteous. Co-workers where down to earth and very easy going. Hardest part was the lifting of thousands of bricks into a small truck or van. Most enjoyable part would have to be helping out the customers.
Job sucks
CSR (Former Employee) –  torrance, caOctober 4, 2014
orchard was a good place to work with the co workers I have, but as far as the company the expect to much for what they pay for and hours that arent given.... What ever u do don't be a cashier or CSR horrible position and too much pressure to be fake have to smile and say a script they want u to say! Get reviewed every month, horrible pay and the worst hours ever! If u get an interview run! U will not get enough hours, management sucks they don't know what there doing. They are clueless to everything.
Pros
had a job
Cons
no stability, doesn't promote, not enough hours
great overall environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  wet covinaSeptember 29, 2014
never had any hassle with any employees and always met company standards and policies.

2.7