Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews

Fun job
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Pismo Beach, CADecember 11, 2016
Not a bad job to have, for part or full time work. Good atmosphere, friendly employees and customers being as how it's a smaller hardware store environment.
great place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Napa, CADecember 8, 2016
orchard is a busy fun great place to work flexible scheduling nice managers and a good benefits program very nice place to shop and work if you are looking for a good spot
A typical day at work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 14, 2016
Coming to work on time, and ready to just start my day. I learn something new everyday. I grow with my co workers, as a team. The hardest part of the job is when you're the new person and you're the one asking so many questions. the managers seemed irritated. the most enjoyable is having customers satisfied, knowing each day is going to be a good day keep positive everyday. getting to know customers, that always made customers happy when you knew them also by there name.
Pros
breaks on time, customers
Cons
short hours, manamget
Was a great job
Office Manager/HR POC/Front End Lead (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CANovember 14, 2016
What a great place to work. I learned so many things, not only about job related tasks but home improvement too! Working in a retail environment can seem one dimensional, but in a area of sales related to home improvement you absorb so much information you can't help but learn! I worked with a great team, sorry to see the company downsize.
Pros
Flexable scheduling
Cons
Rate of pay was a bit low for the area
Great place.
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 2, 2016
I enjoyed working here immensely. Everyone was extremely helpful and there was no drama. I was extremely upset that life took a turn for the worse and I had to quit to move away. Would go back in a heart beat if they'd have me.
nursery cahsier
Nursery/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 1, 2016
Loved working in the nursery with all the plants and flowers. Was fun and a new experience for me. Boss was friendly and very helpful. Other nursery employees were also friendly and helpful.
Pros
working outside
Cons
the hot days
Productive and professional
Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CAOctober 17, 2016
this was a great place to work. co workers and management all worked together to complete goals and keep a calm professional environment. encourage communication to better assist team and gain customer satisfaction. capalized on customers needs before other work duties.
Would encourage you to look elsewhere
Customer Service Representative/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 10, 2016
Orchard started off as an okay place to work, but after about tidiest week it just became a drag. Hours are limited, management is awful, and don't expect your effort to be recognized. Opportunities for advancement are nearly nonexistent, and if you don't fit the mold the managers want, don't expect any type of benefits in your direction no matter how hard you work, if you're always early anything, you won't get it. Clovis Orchard needs to clean their slate and start over if it expects to lower their turn over rate of employees.
Performance / Production
Warehouse Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAOctober 6, 2016
In a typical day in my last position I fulfilled management task of opening and closing the facility, as well as overseeing a staff of eight individuals. Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties as well, including answering phones, filing and greeting customers.

I learn and applied new skills within the expected time period.
Im knowledgeable about current developments in my field, and I display a good understanding of how my job relates to other jobs.

I displays very good verbal skills skills, communicating clearly and concisely. he exhibits good listening skills and comprehends complex matters well.

I provide clear direction and and have little problem gaining compliance from others. I provide consistent, valuable performance feedbacks, and I dedicate considerable effort to developing the skills of my subordinates.

The hardest part of my job would be trying to communicate with customers when they are upset about their prescriptions not being ready within the time it was promise, or when the customer can't find the product they are looking for and they start screaming at you calling you names and thats when it becomes challenging fort me to keep my cool.

The best part of my job is without a doubt the people that i work with.
Everyone is always ready to help.
Pros
meet new people, make new friends
Cons
Not being able to have enough time spent with my daughter as i am a single father.
Normal retail environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CAOctober 1, 2016
Normal work days could be slow. Learned a lot about product through training programs through each department. Management tends to be rude.
Good First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 26, 2016
Great Beginners Job/ Retail Environment, It's a great place to start to get your retail experience, Cashiering, Customer Service and cross-selling.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited, Sometimes managers are hired from the outside and from other industries.
Great Work environment
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 12, 2016
Orchard is a great place to work every day we get the same customers from a certain radius from a 10-20mile radius. They're basically the same customers who work construction, or need plants, and small parts for their do it yourself projects.

Working at Orchard, i've came to this understanding that most customers are all different and how you have to gauge what they want and how to access the situation properly.

Management is really great, communication is used efficicently. if any thing is wrong. they access the situation accordingly and act upon what is needed.

co-workers are amazing.
most enjoyable part is the different people who come in the store and how they all are unique.
Pros
They bring food when we do a great job
Cons
not enough coverage
Great place to learn
Department Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 23, 2016
The co-workers are great. Easy to work with. Family like feeling at work. The best part of my job is stocking and cleaning when given the time to work on it. The hardest part is not enough time in a day. You have to learn everything in the whole store so that you can cover when short handed. Management is fair. Over all picture I'm very happy that I had the opportunity to work for Orchard Supply Hardware. I've learned the do's and don'ts of retail.
Stagnant job with a lot of responsibility
Nursery Waterer/Nursery Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAAugust 21, 2016
Everyone is expected to carry out furniture and set it up at 7 am, along with the managers who try to make small talk. Nobody was excited to be there, it was clear most people weren't happy with the job- which made work less enjoyable. Customer service is emphasized but the priority is clearly sales, as the managers push numbers and for everyone available to "sell, sell, sell". Summertime is busiest and hours are plentiful, but only key carriers are allowed to be scheduled full time. I didn't get a pay raise in the time I worked for OSH, but other employees reported receiving $0.03- 0.15 after two or three years. The employees do a lot of work, sometimes covering three or four departments, trying to make sales goals, and closing the store- for menial pay or respect.
Pros
20% employee discount, 35 hrs a week in summer, free lunch on no sales tax weekends
Cons
a lot of lifting, no advancement, work days were exhausting
Rules and regulations changed 24-7
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 21, 2016
I never knew the new policies and was constantly getting written up. Management don't assist u with anything.

the only reason i stayed was the pay was pretty swell.
Pros
pay
Cons
management, lack of comm, no team
fun workplace. easy to learn and move up
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAAugust 16, 2016
The goal was to work safe, fast, productive and for all associates to work as a team. easy to move to a new position. management offered new positions for any individual to apply for and was up to the individual to go for it or not. Meetings held before every shift so we were always on our toes.
Wonderful People to work around.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 9, 2016
Work days goes fast as customers keep you busy. The most enjoyable part of the job would be being able to provide great customer service .The customers love it.
Working with Hardware is very fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAAugust 4, 2016
Good experience working at OSH, I had good and dependable coworkers that were honest and kind. Management staff however was unstable and unfair because this location was set to close permanently.
fun company
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 25, 2016
management is ok, no advancement opportunities. I enjoy coworkers and customers. Typical day is good not too many bad customers
Cons
no advancements
A great learning experience
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJuly 6, 2016
I was hired to help open a new OSH, and it was a great experience. We learned so much setting up a new store with 54,000 items. I worked in nearly every department part time while going to school.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orchard Supply Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9