Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware Employer Reviews

Hostile Work Environment
ILS (Former Employee), Tracy-CAMarch 21, 2013
Pros: nice radio ads!
Cons: hwe! move on!
Run for the hills. This company is a horrible place to work. Employees call it OSHwitz. The Logistics department is overseen by a self absorbed, narcisstic, bullying, condescending, disrespectful & arrogant Director that possesses some of the worst management traits possible. Stay away. Nobody survives and why they cannot keep employees in the department. – more... The entire traffic team is looking to leav. OSH does nothing about it. Anywhere but OSH! – less
thoughtless
Sales and Service (Former Employee), Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 19, 2013
once you've worked this type of retail work you will never be the same.
Poor workplace environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Fresno CaMarch 15, 2013
Cons: wierd hours, low pay, mistreatment, poor benefits, outrageous expectations
The management was very poor and the supervisors nitpick at the most simplist things. You NEVER get a pay raise, not even a 'good job'. Mistreatment common. You can lose your job trying to keep up with selling the 'loyalty program' to customers. Overall, don't bother!
Do not work there..please
cashier (Former Employee), fountain valley californiaMarch 12, 2013
Pros: nothing at all
Cons: please dont waist your time.the worst place to walk into
The management is terrible.they treat employees terrible. Watch out.no raises..no matter what you do for them it is never enough...you dont get hours..they have their favorites..The manager Is such a terrible man..Dont work there please.Employees have just walked out on them..the best employees get hurt the worst..when your review comes around thats – more... due.they dont have time to give it to you..no raises so dont plan on that.The manager Of the store is the worst man you could ever work for..He talks to other employees behind your back..he like takes a knife and cuts you up until you leave.Then he cuts your hours to 4 hours a week. – less
hard work little pay not enough credit retail retail retail
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMarch 9, 2013
Typical retail job. Worked there too long, went through a lot of managers many were really great and had a good time working there was all ruined with one manager who was not very fond of me. Should have quit earlier. Made a lot of bonds and ties with the coworkers I did have a great family there all shut down by one "top person" sad to say. Realized – more... the hard way you are always expendable in retail. – less
Decent college job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Granada Hills, CAMarch 7, 2013
Pros: hour long lunch (when i was there; this may have changed), nice customers
Cons: employees are not valued, bad managers can really affect your job, easy to be overworked due to minimal scheduling
As a sales associate, you just help people in your department and it's pretty easy if you know your product. However, there was barely any training so to learn the product you will rely on the older, more experienced co-workers. Most customers are nice as well. And usually the job is not too repetitive.
So far so good, but the problem is mainly in the – more... management. How much you enjoy working a shift is greatly impacted by how good or bad the manager on duty is. Some are great to work with and help you and there's others who are not and incompetent who will overwork you.
As a whole, when I was there, they tried to get by with the least amount of people to save on hours. So you may be covering two or more different departments which can be really stressful. And around 2009 they laid off a bunch of their older workforce. Which is especially bad, since they're really the only source of "training" for new employees.
Overall, a decent job if you don't mind putting up with some incompetent managers. And I will say that they are good about working around college classes. However, I ended up quitting cause I got tired of the way I was treated and I know several co-workers who did the same. – less
good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Livermore, CAMarch 6, 2013
Pros: not a high stress job
Cons: not enough pay icreases for hourly employees
Easy place to work. Learned to be self starter. Learned to help people find parts for projects they needed.
OSH
Customer Service Representative and cashier (Former Employee), Sand City, CaFebruary 27, 2013
I always enjoy working, this was definitely a opportunity I was given to show my skills. I was a cashier trainer a CSR and was incharge of cashiers.I enjoyed the regular clients that would always come in and they always were happy when you would remember their names and aknowledge them directly.I enjoy making the people happy on a good day or bad day.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clayton, CAFebruary 26, 2013
When i was employed with this company i was given many different tasks in different departments because i was able to catch on quick and be trained in different departments. I worked very well with customers and I learned many skills from being in these various positions.
Very friendly, customer service focused company.
Customer Service Representative/ Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fresno, CAFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: very friendly, management seeks success of employees.
Cons: little to no advancement. most employees are part time.
I love this company, however, most employees are part time and it is very difficult to get a full time position unless some one in management groomed you for that position. Relatively low pay and hours change from week to week so don't expect the same schedule next week. Yet, everyone is super friendly and the customers love us.
new leadership lacks integrity, compassion
Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: excellent work life balance
Cons: new senior leadership squeezes productivity from associates by fear and intimidation
New leadership on board since the organization separated from Sears in 2011 has systematically eliminated tenured, knowledgeable and dedicated associates with decades of loyal service. HR and leadership waves the magic wand of at-will employment without any regard to years of service, positive and consistently good performance reviews, skills and talent. – more... Demoralizing and exhausting place to work at these days when the people you are working for don't even know your name and constantly ask "what have you done for me lately." – less
Family-like atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Gilroy, CAJanuary 30, 2013
The management is encouraging and motivating. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and co-workers.
Love my customers and co-workers
CSR/Paint Associate/Sales Floor Lead (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 25, 2013
Everyday I get to work with great people and help customers with their paint orders or provide them with the information they need to make their experience great, The most difficult part of the job is when we don't have a product they need and have to send them somewhere else.
good place to work for short time
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Watsonville, CAJanuary 12, 2013
moved up quickly but never got a raise but managers were all very helpful
It wasen't good for me I wanted a fun place to work at.
Cashier (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: 20% discount
Cons: management being in the office all the time
A typical day at work is being on the cash register and doing transactions with customer, if it was slow I would gather all the shopping carts, restock all the merchandise, clean my area of work.
Management: To me they really didn't do nothing, they were always in the office everyday I would work, only to come out if they were called or to see if we – more... were doing our jobs.
Co-Worker: They were awesome in a professional/friends in a way they try to make it fun around the place but it would be about 3 cashiers most of the time, we never really messed around because we took our job seriously.
Most enjoyable part: Every 2 weeks when we got paid we would have a little pot luck in the break room, where we can hang out but still work. – less
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Merced, CADecember 28, 2012
Pros: weather outside was horrible, and pay was very low.
Cons: meet new friends and enable me to continue my cashiering abilities.
Co workers were kind and talented. The reward program provided a competition among cashier. Long hours of standing and 3 minute breaks. Picked up carts outside on 95-100 degree weather.
It is a secure job but they do not pay well
Cashier/ auditor / Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Moraga, CADecember 14, 2012
The company doesn't want to pay for your hard work. You can put everything in your work but it isn't good enough for them.
Manual labor and fork lift experience
Pick-Up Associate (Former Employee), Goleta, CANovember 19, 2012
Pros: fork lift experience, manual labor experience
Cons: hard work and extreme accomplishments would sometimes go unappreciated
Typical day of work included answering the phone, loading customers vehicles, unloading shipments with forklift, and building products
I learned how to drive and operate a forklift. I learned how to build different products. I learned proper safety procedures.
Management suprisingly good. There was a position deticated to helping and advising.
Co-workers – more... were friendly and mostly students like myself.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customer with their home emprovement project. – less
What I know about retail sales I learned at OSH.
Department Manager/Cashier (Former Employee), Modesto, CA and MercedNovember 11, 2012
Pros: the ability to be promoted and work in many areas.
Cons: the health benifets
Department managers are responsible for their total department. I would start the day walking my department and determine the needs for the day, and prioritize the list, then proceed. Depending on the day I may do ordering for the week or stocking the department, if needed clean. When I was nursery manager I would off load trucks and stock the tables, – more... then meet with vendors and order for the end of the week deliveries. Depending on the season or if there may be a sale or a promotion I would build end caps or build a vinuette. If I had an associate working with me I would teach if needed, show them what needed to be done that day. Our most important task at OSH was customer service , that was what you did every minute of the day and everything else came second. Once every two weeks I would do the schedules for my department,

OSH was my first retail job they taught me the majority of what I know about working retail. I was taught that the customer comes first without them you don't have a job. They taught me how to run a department and the skills for each department that I managed. I started in paint it was important to be able to answer all their questions so I learned all about all the paints and supplies in the department that you need to paint with and then everthing you needed to know procedures for different techneches . It was the same in the houseware department, garden department, nursery department, tool department, and seasonal department. I was also taught how to be a cashier, and how to please your customer. We were able to learn also the departments that would cross with our departments. OSH would have clinics for associate to learn how to work with each other and how you should react to a customer that may be angry and to protect the associate. I was taught how to teach associates, my days with OSH I learned something new every day.

My co-workers at OSH were great they were hardworking and dedicated. I enjoyed working with them.

My hardest part of the job may have been having to not be able to have enough time to spend with your customers.

The best part of OSH was the customers.

Management there were many in the 12 years that I worked at OSH they were informative, some were an enjoyment to work with, and some not missed. For the most part OSH had great managers. – less
It is fun to work with the people that shop there
Customer Service Relations (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAOctober 15, 2012
Cons: no affordable medical benefits.
cash register and other misc duties. I learned new products and services. managements is not always flexible. co workers are fine. the hardest part is not paid benefits and working holidays. The customers.

About Orchard Supply Hardware

Orchard Supply Hardware supplies California's do-it-yourselfers.┬áIt operates more than 85 home centers in the Golden State, from – Read more