Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews in United States

Extravagant ease as far as retail is concerned
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Orchard has a beautiful niche in the hardware segment of retail, and passes on the benefits it to it's employees. Typical work is done with ease, loose timelines, and minimal supervision, which leads to high moral and unexpected productivity. Very comfortable retail. Having said that, it pays as much as one would expect from retail.
Pros
paid time off, hour lunches
Cons
low pay, glass cielings
Not that good
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAMay 19, 2013
The management here makes it as if they do not want you to succeed. I was having issues with the management locking the doors up front and walking to the back and there was none up front. You would have to call them at there office to have them walk all the way up front sometimes they wouldn't even answer the phone. So you would have to call more then once. When they had to wait up front to open the door for the stock team, but they would not perform this duty. Making me clock in late on multiple occasions. It was definitely not enjoyable they played favorites treated unfairly. The hardest part of the job was working there. The people working there did not make it better. It was just a horrible experience.
ok place to work for while going to school
Sales Clerk Garden/Nursery/Pickup Station (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAJune 24, 2013
A typical day would be stocking floor with product, assisting customers with service and loading customers with product. I learned alot of things about lawn care as well as flowers and much more that had to do with Garden and Nursery. Management was ok for the most part as they usually never took any ideas or suggestions on how to get things done. Co-workers were great if they knew what they were doing. The hardest part of the job was loading heavy items such as gazebos and brick in the hot weather for long hour days. The most enjoyable part was working in the garden dept.
Pros
hour lunches and decent hours.
Cons
low pay for hard labor work
Company started to go gown hill
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 7, 2013
Co-workers often didn't call or show up for work, conflicting hours half the other staff in other departments didn't show up. Poor Management of the main Store manager.
Pros
n/a
Cons
delays in breaks often never taken, health benefits never updated
Manual labor and fork lift experience
Pick-Up Associate (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CANovember 19, 2012
Typical day of work included answering the phone, loading customers vehicles, unloading shipments with forklift, and building products
I learned how to drive and operate a forklift. I learned how to build different products. I learned proper safety procedures.
Management suprisingly good. There was a position deticated to helping and advising.
Co-workers were friendly and mostly students like myself.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customer with their home emprovement project.
Pros
fork lift experience, manual labor experience
Cons
hard work and extreme accomplishments would sometimes go unappreciated
Friendly and Dedicated Company
Paint Associate (Former Employee) –  sand cityAugust 22, 2015
I loved working at Orchard Supply Hardware. My co workers and leaders knew how important teamwork and communication was to keeping the store running smoothly.
Pros
Relevent Training
Good start for management in retail
Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 27, 2012
Very long shifts for managers, 11 hours not unusual.
Lots of non management tasks. Salary under competition.
Pros
management does have flexibility with schedule.
Cons
salary for managers, can be transferred with little notice.
Great company,great co-workers,great customers.
Merchandising Lead (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 13, 2013
Orchard is a great company to work for. Many of the employees are hard working and dedicated to growing our business. Management is fair and easy to approach. A typical day at work is walking the sales floor and identifying and resolving any merchandising issues.Then I check the system for any new pog updates and or resets that need to be done, and complete them if the product has arrived. At the same time, assisting customers in finding the products they need to complete their projects.Durning down times I will manage top stock and overstock.The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with our customers.
I miss working at OSh where I knew so many great people, employees and customers.
Clerk/ Dept. Manager (Former Employee) –  CALIF. (differant locations)March 27, 2014
I loved working at OSH. I stayed there for over 35 years. The people that I worked with are awesome caring people. I am still in contact with some of them and I really miss my customers. I stepped down from the Dept manager position and went part time when my husband retired, so we could travel and have more time together.

The hardest part of my job was when I was a dept. lead and would have to talk to someone for not doing their job well. Most of the employees tried their best and it was seldom that I had to do that.

I loved being a part time paint clerk. I especially loved it when a customer would bring in samples of carpet or fabric and asked help with paint colors for their walls. It was great when they would come back and tell me how wonderful the room looked, and when they would come back for more advice from me.
Pros
there is a 401k plan, my dept lead had confidance in me and thanked me often.
Cons
i had hit the maximum pay rate quite a few years ago, there is no pension plan for the regular employees.
Fun times
Customer Service Rep & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMarch 30, 2013
A typical day working here meant moving fast and getting things done. There was always a customer in need and always something important to take care of. I learned the most I have ever learned working here and everyday was a day to learn. Whether it was about the business, operations, products, or how to grow your garden pest free it was the best job I have ever experienced. The management team was willing to teach you, work with you, and make sure you know the in's and out's of your job and understand others. They were flexible and worked around schedules. As long as there was a reasonable amount of warning ahead of time they could switch shifts, find someone else to take it, or make sure that day was off. The hardest part of the job was being able to do 5 things at once and still be efficient. As a customer service rep behind the counter I had to be back-up cashier, be on call for all cashier problems, manage money all over the front end, manage breaks and lunches, complete customer orders, and operate returns and exchanges according to store policy. The most enjoyable part were the people. The co-workers were friendly and always had something new to teach. They had professional humor applied at the workplace and the customers most of the time were just as talkative and friendly.
Pros
hour lunches (unpaid) and two 10 minute breaks (paid) as well as friendly and busy atmosphere
Cons
unless you are full-time you get no benefits.

Want to know more about Orchard Supply Hardware?

Ask a question
Employment at orchard supply hardware
plumbing/electrical associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 29, 2014
Since I worked at numerous different OSH stores I found 90% of employees excellent to work with and who really cared for their daily OSH duties.Also, a large portion of Management were pleasant to work with although some certainly needed to brush up on their management knowledge! I especially enjoyed helping customers solve their many home problems.
Pros
friendly, caring employees creating a nice working atmosphere!
Cons
since osh was working through financial difficulties, many problems remained to be solved!
it was a nice environment working with the customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAAugust 4, 2015
lots of great people to work with and great meeting new people everyday and being able to help them with there qusetions and needs and problems .
Pros
employee of the month and and special holiday luchcheons
Cons
customers that are unpatient and rude
Job sucks
CSR (Former Employee) –  torrance, caOctober 4, 2014
orchard was a good place to work with the co workers I have, but as far as the company the expect to much for what they pay for and hours that arent given.... What ever u do don't be a cashier or CSR horrible position and too much pressure to be fake have to smile and say a script they want u to say! Get reviewed every month, horrible pay and the worst hours ever! If u get an interview run! U will not get enough hours, management sucks they don't know what there doing. They are clueless to everything.
Pros
had a job
Cons
no stability, doesn't promote, not enough hours
Life balance culture / values
PAINT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAMay 18, 2012
Great management team to work for .they are a great company for advancement very knowledgeable .
Pros
job security
Cons
very nice company to work for
Calm, quiet environment allowing plenty of time to focus on detailed tasks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 3, 2013
Each associate maintains a number of departments during a shift assisting any customers with questions and/or recommendations. Staff and customers very friendly and co workers are always willing to help if particular questions can't be answered. The most enjoyable part of the job was being given creative freedom to complete a task ie. display set up/prep.
Pros
perfect amount of time for lunch, management trust in employee
Cons
some tasks required a lot of time which delayed the completion of other tasks ie. loading of lumber
Management never showed interest in employee well being.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAJuly 10, 2013
A lot of hard labor is put into average work days at OSH. I learned how to stay focused on my specific tasks and complete them as best as I could though I had many random tasks added on by management. The co-workers were always very helpful and courteous to each other.The hardest part of the job was doing tasks that had nothing to do with your department and doing big projects alone. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers and helping people solve problems.
Pros
worked around my school schedule.
Cons
not much respect, micro managing
Great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 18, 2013
My typical of work would be running the front end registers and what i learned from the job is how to supervise a group of people. Management was not good in my eyes. I believe they did not respect me as an adult. My co workers were great people and made the job easier. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the stress of the job and management on my back. The most enjoyable part was the great customers and the friendships i have made till this day.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
low pay
I loved working with the public. The busier I was, the better I felt. I especially loved working in the garden, and making the store look inviting.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CAApril 5, 2015
I am a very hard, and dedicated employee. A typical day included cashiering, and store maintenance. I enjoyed learning gardening, and all of my co-workers were very nice, and willing to help. The hardest part of the job was when the store was closing it's doors, and we had to sell everything. The most enjoyable part of my day was when I was outside in the garden. I really loved working with the public, and helping them complete their household adventures.
My life with Orchard
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 22, 2013
I started working for Orchard in 1998, while going to school. Never did I think it would be my career. Over the years I have worked with so many different people that I have learned a lot from. I worked at one store for almost 10 years...they were my second family. In 2008 we moved to Southern California for a change. After transferring I quickly moved my way up the chain and today I am the Store Manager. Over the years Orchard has changed so much and I am glad that I was able to be part of it. Every day is an adventure with associates and customers.
Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier/Paint Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 14, 2015
a very exciting place to work. very loyal customer base. the company always try and make sure the customer receives top notch service.
Pros
friendly staff.
Cons
Not staffed properly/ lack of hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orchard Supply Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7