Orchards Children's Services Employee Reviews

Team meembers are like close friends
Pathways to Potential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIMay 11, 2017
We meet on a weekly basis for Team and there is such great chemistry between out team that we are able to bounce ideas off each other to help some that may be stumped on a case.
flexible
Case Management (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 29, 2017
flexible, nice place of employment. nice upper management. down fall to much paper worker and in people homes sometimes can be dangerous and individuals not willing to work with services.
Family Preservation Services
Family Preservation services/Family First Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 2, 2017
Excellent at strengthening family's and the community through community resources and innovative interventions. Family case managers reduce the risk of child placement.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary and re
Learned a lot and enjoyed the people I worked with
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 28, 2016
Never a dull moment at the "O" working with 2 supervisors, 2 program managers and 5 workers kept me moving. I quickly learned how to prioritize and manage my time. Everyone I worked with directly were professional for the most part. The hardest part was preparing for audits because it called for early mornings and late nights. Yet, I enjoyed this part as well because it challenged me that only Orchards could.
Pros
Community envolvement
Cons
Not a lot of growth opportunities and no tuition reimbursement
Great people and great environment.
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 7, 2016
I was not use to working in an environment where support is at every corner. Orchards was excellent in supporting their staff. From the CEO to the receptionist, I always felt like I had the support I needed. The best part of the job was being able to create your own schedule. If you wanted to only visit families in the morning, you can arrange that. Another good thing about working at Orchards is that you are constantly learning new things. This is a job where being stagnant will not work. You have to be willing to change your perspective in order to successfully help the families involved.
Pros
Excellent support system and opportunities to learn.
Ocs
Child & Family Worker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 7, 2016
Loved this job right out of college. I learned so much. Great environment. I really learned a lot from my peers and management. It also gave me the skills to move up in my career. Work load was overwhelming at times.
n/a
Families First Worker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 20, 2016
A typical day at work consists of a friendly and fun environment. At Orchards I learned how to be consistent with time management and meeting deadlines. The management at Orchards very knowledgeable and competent of their roles and responsibilities. While at Orchards, I had some awesome and empathetic co workers who are very valuable to agency mission statement. The hardest part of the job was educating families who admitted to not wanting help to reduce the risk of physical neglect or abuse in their homes. The most enjoyable part of the job was educating and ensuring families had the basic needs to live their daily lives.
Pros
Clean environment and good health benefits
Cons
Daily maintenance repairs and employment wages
Fun place to work
Recruitment and Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 19, 2016
Orchards is a wonderful organization that helps children and families for reunification, family preservation and restoring childhood to children who have been involved in the child welfare system.
Voted one of the best places to work
Recruitment & Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 8, 2016
Orchards is a great agency that is committed to helping children of all ages and their families through adoption, foster care and family reunification.
High stress job with oppressive management
Families First of Michigan Counselor (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 30, 2015
Case management for OCS was extremely stressful. Management was not supportive of staff and upper middle management has been known to "target" employees and create situations through which they could terminate that employee. This employer also tends to micromanage details of a job that is supposed to have flexible scheduling.
Pros
Cons
Highly stressful, cliquish, poor pay, and oppressive
Long hours, High staff turnover
Treatment Foster Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 30, 2015
Teamwork was challenged due to high staff turnover. Pay was very low compared to qualifications. Unstable staffing results in poor culture and lack of season mentors to guide new employees.
Pros
Help children in need, experience
Cons
long hours, no teamwork
Families First Worker (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 21, 2015
Strength based support helping families across Michigan. learned how to interact with other professionals. I really enjoyed working here, helping families and building relationships.
Great Place to Work
Case worker/ Social worker (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 26, 2015
Orchards is great agency. My team is great and I have a wonderful supervisor . The CEO of Orchards is very nice and more then willing to help his employees.
Families First Counselor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 23, 2015
Orchards is the ideal place for a student to work while in college. Benefits are not that great, pay is low, management was consistently changing and poor might I add but you do develop one or two memorable working relationships.
Good place to start before you advance to a career.
CASE MANAGER/SOCIAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 13, 2014
I worked as a Foster Care Worker/Social Worker. My day consist of writing reports, home visits, and supervising family visits. I learned how to be more patient with people in spite of their circumstances, time management, more self respect and respect for others no matter what is going on in their lives, and to never judge even when I know what has been done is wrong. My managers showed support and concern when you were having a bad day, they were their to assist you when needed. The hardest part of my job was making the decision to ask for the rights of a parent to be terminated and then having to tell the parent that their rights were terminated. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting different people from all walks of life and helping to make a difference in their lives and the lives of their children. This job was a stepping stone towards what I would love to do; reach out to others and be their mentor and support.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
Driving a lot, report writing.
Workplace to help others
Families First Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 24, 2014
A typical day at work is working out in the field with clients working on their goals that were set up by Child Protective Services. I learned how to look through others eyes to see what the families are going through. There is not much support from management and the most support that I received working at Orchards was from co-workers through my team of 5 members. The hardest part of my job was working with management because work and home life collided and there was not much time for self care due to rules and changes that continue to be set into place by managers. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the faces of the families that I touched.
Pros
Helping families
Cons
No compensation for extra time worked and very stressful situations
Orchards Children's Services
employee (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 4, 2014
A lot of great people. But the pay is awful! Good start off point.
Making a difference through quality serves to children and families
Accounting Generalist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 3, 2014
Orchards Children's Services is a child welfare agency servicing children and families.
You must have a passion to serve. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are making a difference in a child(ren) life.
Every day is super busy so you have to be your best no matter what area of the company that you work in. In one way or another the job that you do reflect on the assistance for the children and families.
Workers are passionate about what their job.
Family Reunification Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 29, 2014
A typical day being employed at Orchards consists of driving to home visits, laughs, help when needed, and deadlines being met.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Tons of driving
Productive and great place to work
Training & Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 30, 2013
Talking to individuals who are interested in becoming licensed to be foster caregivers. Conducting trainings for foster/adoptive caregivers. Conducting CPR Certification classes.
Pros
Strong sense of teamwork
Cons
Cannot think of anything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orchards Children's Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9