Oregon Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Former QMHP
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 27, 2018
Excellent training and a progressive management team. A lot of opportunities for professional development. Interesting work and consistent collaboration between teams.
Pros
Compensation, training and management
Cons
Highly stressful work environment
Mixed bag, it all depends on your manager and team
Training & Development (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 24, 2018
As with any State agency, all things come down to if an organization has the budget to do the work they're tasked with doing. You can't fault the organization entirely when they're funded by the state and can't spend money they don't have. Lack of funds to do the job was often frustrating. Things moved slow here with some employees, sometimes ridiculously so. But if you find a manager, supervisor, mentor and/or coworkers that care about excellence and partner with them, you can get stuff done.
Pros
The work is important and needs to be done
Cons
Bureaucracy, bureaucracy, bureaucracy; constant budget issues, some bad managers that are inept and slow
Busy and at times, a dangerous place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, ORDecember 10, 2017
I managed a housing unit for approximately 200 inmates. I ensured they received medical needs, mail, clothing, and food. I handled the distribution of these items as required. I kept the unit running smoothly with daily activities, and ensured the inmates followed the rules of the department.
Great benefits, pays well, terrible management
QUALIFIED MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 7, 2017
The security side of the prison is very well managed and supportive. The management for the behavioral health side of the prison changed approximately two years ago and it became a very difficult place to exist in. BHS management expects all of the therapists to remain in line of their way of thinking regardless of how dangerous their position may put people in. They also disregarded an ADA request for accommodation. It is difficult to advance at the ODOC within the behavioral health services department, especially if the person wanting to advance expresses a difference of opinion. The work itself is rewarding and intellectually stimulating. The ODOC would be a great place to work for therapists if they had better management.
Pros
salary, benefits, intellectual stimulation
Cons
management, hostile environment
great pay and staff is getting better
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ontario, OROctober 11, 2017
management will not lift a finger. some of the nurses are the smartest and hard working you ever met, and then there are some are the opposite. I wouldn't let two of the doctors there even evaluate my dog.
Challenging but worth it.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 1, 2017
Worth the risk. the ability to role-model pro-social behaviors was definitely an enticing aspect of this career job. Plenty of opportunities for advancement
This isn't for just anybody
Office Specialist I/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 18, 2017
Working is a correctional facility is different than anyone would ever expect. I cannot go into details due the nature of the work, but if one can handle fast paced, confidential, be on your guard without looking afraid kind of work, it's perfect.
Doc
Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 5, 2017
I emjpyed the work with the DOC as a Social Worker in both the women's and Men's prison it was an overall great place to work, I saw many who had challenges with the management and at times experienced this myself, working with managers who were not well suited to the field of forensic psychiatry,
This is a very rewarding career where you are able to work with a diverse group of people. It offers great pay, benefits and advancement opportunity.
Background Investigator (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, ORAugust 25, 2017
Working for Oregon Department of Corrections is not just a job, but a career. It is a career where you have job security, an excellent benefits package and a great retirement package. It offers advancement opportunities and on the job training in many of the positions offered by the department. The starting wage exceeds the typical starting wage for most companies and provides a stable family income. They recognize diversity in the work place and they do not discriminate, show bias or prejudice. The department as a whole has implemented wellness based programs which are intended to aid in healthy life choices and they are always striving to make it a better place to work. I can't speak highly enough of this organization. I would recommend it to anyone based on the fact that there are so many job opportunities available in various fields of interest.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Work hours can exceed the typical 40 hour work week.
Unsafe
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, ORJune 21, 2017
The job is boring. It's unsafe how there's only one officer on the unit. It's a disaster waiting to happen with somebody getting killed. And there are too many clicks and you know more about the inmates than you do your fellow officers.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Umatilla, ORMay 24, 2017
Hit the floor running after report off from departing nurses. Always something new to learn. Always interesting. Could be stressful, but never lasted long, and always felt good when we worked as a team.
Pros
Team work
Cons
working night shift rotation
No comment
Lieutenant Food Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  OregonMay 7, 2017
I prefer not to leave a comment about day to day life working here. Benefits are great and job security is great. Beyond that I could not recommend working here.
Pretty good place to work for some people
Instititional Nurse/ Infectious Disease Nurse (Former Employee) –  Umatilla, ORMay 1, 2017
Most people won't be able to handle this kind of work-especially nurses. It required a person who can be neutral. Or one who can at least acknowledge their bias and work around it to deliver quality health care to incarcerated individuals.
prison work
Dentist (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, ORApril 23, 2017
The management made working inside a hostile workplace. The boss did not like women. The female dentists got called out and penalized for things the men did with impunity
Pros
not a taxing schedule
Cons
they can get rid of you fairly easily
Rewarding
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 10, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was the reward of mentoring and assisting the incarcerated adults and watching the grow and rehabilitate as individuals. There were a few a selected memebers of management that were genuine and great at thier job. Alot of management and upper staff were too judgemental and one had to be and look a certain way to advance.
Management Position
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 25, 2017
They pluck you from the lower ranks and throw you into a management position and then its all about sink or swim. No training until you make a mistake.
Pros
Good Salary and Medical Benifits
Cons
Toxic Hostile Environment
A short lived Career
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 23, 2016
I got this position in January of 2015. On my first day my father passed away and between the rigorous training and the difficulty of dealing with that loss led to me having to resign so that I could focus on getting my family taken care of. The higher level staff were amazing throughout the whole process and I would go back to them in a heartbeat if I were still looking to do that kind of work.
Work Life Balance is not a priority
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORSeptember 7, 2016
Can be a negative work environment
Seniority has a big impact on this facility
Good pay and EXCELLENT benefits package
Good career if you are sick of the typical 9-5
Na
Control Center Officer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2016
Good company to work for just need to be ready to drastically change your lifestyle as it will affect you and your home life.
Good department to work for
Correctional Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Ontario, OregonOctober 4, 2015
I learned a tremendous amount about managing staff and being and leader within my law enforcement career. I am forever grateful for the skills and knowledge I acquired from the Oregon Department of Corrections.