Oregon Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

positive fun place to work
Construction/Maintenance Intern (Former Employee) –  The Dalles, ORAugust 15, 2017
Positive place to work where no two days are exactly the same. management is decent for the most part. Also fun to work with the public and see the changes that you can make in the community.
Great Place to work
Information Systems Specialist 4 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 28, 2017
Great Place to work. Professional environment with great attitude and support from everyone. People smile and say hello in the hallways. If you have to choose between here and other organizations, this should be your place of choice.
Safe and positive place to work.
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 4, 2017
The organization as a whole is great. I love working for ODOT and would recommend employment with the organization to anyone. I have learned a great deal about engineering principles and safety.
Good, modest place to work
Web Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 18, 2017
The work environment is good and allows you to focus. My position was temporary, so I didn't receive the benefits of a full-time worker. For full-time workers, you get good health insurance and good job security. The hours you check in and leave are not strictly enforced, and generally not an issue as long as you don't create any problems for your coworkers, supervisor, or employer.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Salary may not be competive
Team Based Environment
Assistant Road Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ontario, ORMarch 31, 2017
All of my supervisors were very approachable, I was not micro-managed, I was able to work in the office and get out in the field. My associates degree was recognized and was paid more for having one. Lots of over time was available.
Pros
Time off was granted when I didn't even have days earned.
Cons
had to stay away from home some nights
This was a very good experience working with this company
Intern-Engineer Specialist, Pavement Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 26, 2017
This was an intern position and very good source of learning. I learn a great deal about roadways and how they are laid and how they are tested and how often they are tested. This was the best experience I have ever had by taking this internship. The culture was very interesting and allow me to meet a different variety of people. This time also allow me to see some interesting places while working this job.
Pros
Very interesting place
Cons
Weather
Traffice Survey Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 15, 2017
Very comfortable work environment, everyone is friendly and interacts with one another really well. I like the comfort of working different shifts if needed. The location ok, right off the highway and close to everything. The company keeps it enjoyable to work there. There's always events such as charitable causes, cook offs between co-workers, and meetings where you get to meet everyone and learn more about other positions within ODOT.
Pros
Great hours, staff, and management.
Cons
Far from home
low advancement and limited oppertunities
Transportation Maintenance Specialist 2 (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 29, 2016
It can be a very hostel work environment and a challenge for people to advance without connections higher up. Good workers tend to be walked over without advancement and people that don't do their jobs make more money without doing the work.
Pros
great medical benefits
Cons
low pay, bad managment teams
Great people and work enviroment
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Salem, OR 97301December 24, 2016
Great place to work. Able to travel throughout the State and do a variety of tasks. Big project experience. New equipment.
Didn't I just do this?
Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 15, 2016
I swear, I just did a review of ODOT, why am I being told that I have to do another one? Seems about as repetitive as the Redundant Department of Redundancies Department.
Working for the Government
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORNovember 30, 2016
This was a fun job but that is due to the fact that i worked with other college students. We picked up trash on the side of the road. It wasnt glamous work but it was fun
Great opportunity
Filing Clerk - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORSeptember 20, 2016
Wonderful place to work. Great people. Working as a Temp is a great way to get my foot in the door to better opportunities.
professional
Oregon Driver & Motor Vehicles (DMV) (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 19, 2015
Professional environment, staff, management. Great upward potential. Good place to work. A great desire to help customers to truly service Oregonians.
Professional, good leadership.
Senior Systems Engineer - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 28, 2015
Daily work consisted of analysis, programming changes, testing and system testing. Coordination of team members was required.
Pros
Business like.
Cons
None.
Great Place to Work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 13, 2015
I loved this job. The people were great to work with. I like data entry. I like proofreading. I always found work to do. It was a busy, great job.
Great benefits and salary
Strategic Program and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 3, 2015
ODOT is a great place to work in terms of compensation and Salaray. They have a great culture in terms of work ethic and work hard to meet the needs of Oregonians as a state agency.
typical state agency
Operations and Policy Analyst 1 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 24, 2015
Enjoyed the people that I worked with, but there are too many cooks in the kitchen on so many levels. It is almost too large to manage effectively, the breaking down into five regions seems silly, since they all do their own thing and nothing looks the same.
A very small office with friendly co-workers
Temporary Drive Tester (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORFebruary 26, 2015
A very rewarding place to work if you like working with teens. This company primarily teaches driver education and offers private drive instruction.
Great work schedule but no benefits.
Pros
Work schedule, friendly staff
Cons
No benefits
Diversified Experience
Major Projects Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 11, 2014
The projects I got to work on were very interesting and essential to improving Oregon's road network. Everyone in the office was very helpful when I had a question but for the most part I worked solo on most of my tasks.

Hardest part of the job was learning new computer programs on the fly. My excel skills multiplied tenfold and I taught myself how to use various data collection devices and also a video editing software.

This position was right in the middle between engineering and planning. I was working with very large data sets, data retrieval from online databases and developing measurement tools that are usually reserved for engineers. Yet the projects I worked on were being facilitated by professional planners.
Pros
An array of different projects to work on
Cons
Slow, government bureaucracy
Awesome coworkers
Engineering Permit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORJuly 17, 2014
awesome coworkers
flexible lunch
good job experience
enjoyed working with the public
good computer experience