Oregon Health Sciences University Employee Reviews in United States

excellent and cutting edge medicine
Executive Assistant-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 2, 2016
Loved being part of the teams at OHSU. Outstanding staff and team members, with one main focus....Patient Care. Physicians were all amazing and co-workers and nursing staff friendly, smart and wellness oriented.

Benefits were great, hours too. Great place to work-
Pros
being part of "The Hill" research and development
Cons
Great place to learn and grow into a career
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 7, 2016
I spent over 25 years total working at OHSU. It has been a wonderful experience. I have gown into the excellent employee that I am because of the experience and teaching of many professionals within the organization.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Location and Parking are obstacles
Ohsu
Gi Procedure Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 7, 2016
They take care of their employees with exceptional pay, incredible medical benefits and room to move up. There is always work to be done and the hospital feels like a big family with every department beginning to standardize work
Pros
As seen above
Cons
The entire hospital is understaffed right now
Research Position at OHSU
Lab Manager & Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 12, 2016
OHSU is a great institution to work for. There is ground breaking research occurring every day and they pay great benefits.
Wonderful place to work
PAS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 25, 2016
Very friendly and welcoming staff, including physicians.

Great training opportunities for new staff and for current staff to stay on top of things.

Challenging, but very rewarding work experience.

Middle management does a great job at acknowledging and rewarding outstanding employee performance.

Positive environment for employees to gain valuable skills and opportunities for advancement available.
Pros
Positive, team oriented atmosphere
Cons
Lack of communication from upper management. Consistently understaffed.
Wonderful place to work, very low pay
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 25, 2016
I worked in the Knight Cancer Institute for two years. The people I worked with (lab techs, nurse practitioners, MDs, admin) were passionate about what they did, and it showed. It was an amazing and exciting environment to be in. I was also able to learn many new things, and my supervisor was very interested in my learning and interests.

My schedule was flexible and the paid vacation time I was able to earn would be very hard to beat. Benefits were good.

Pay was not. As a single person only supporting myself, I did fine. But barely. I quickly learned that OHSU was notorious for paying very little (depending on the position you're in). I talked to others with my same job title and they had seen no significant pay increase in the time they worked there (2-5 years). I left OHSU for a different research job and doubled my salary. However, if OHSU could pay me what my current job does, I would come back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Academic environment -lots of opportunity to learn, independence, great coworkers
Cons
low pay, little room for advancement, must take public transportation
Fast-paced learning environment
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 12, 2016
A normal day at OHSU is very busy and a fast-paced atmosphere, which can is the most challenging aspect. However, it is a great environment full of helpful team-players that can assist you to learn how to efficiently manage a patient/work-load. As the patient acuity continues to increase amongst the patients, OHSU has the tools and continued education for all employees for development to help provide excellent patient care.
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Excellent options public transportation.
Cons
Employees must pay for parking.
Always busy and Short Staffed
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 11, 2016
I liked most of the people that I worked with but we always had a busy patient load and most times we were short staffed. Hard to get breaks/lunch because of the busy schedule

Had to pay $13 a day for parking for employees. Would get a $100 fine if you didn't pay.

Too many rules from higher up wanting better patient satisfaction scores and making the hospital more like a hotel and wanting staff to be personal assistants to the patients.
Expect bullying, distrust, and low culture @ OHSU Medical Affairs
Credentialing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2016
I joined in early 2014 and left 13 months later. As long as the current supervisor/manager tandem remain you should expect bullying, poor communication, fear, and low employee morale. During my employment 7 individuals left on their own or were forced out. Their recent job posting in early 2016 indicates supervisor/manger tandem issues continue to create turnover. Apply/Accept a job at your own risk at OHSU Medical Affairs.
Pros
OHSU is a world class organization.
Cons
Bullying, fear, distrust, low employee morale at OHSU Medical Affairs.

Comment – April 26, 2016

Since my post from February 2016 the department is recruiting again to replace the most recent person to submit their resignation. Cautiously apply/accept a job at your own risk!

Continues learning and enjoyable environment
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 3, 2016
I love OHSU. Wonderful place to work. OHSU is great at teaching and educating new ideas while implementing standard policies and procedures. Which is something important to me. Knowledge is priceless. I work with a fantastic group of respiratory therapist.
Pros
great teamwork throughout the hospital
Cons
parking is expense and limited
Busy Location
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 8, 2015
Worked in Epic and Willow. Worked well with Team. Worked with Patients to get assistance for Co-Pays and to get free medications from the Drug Manufactures. Filled Prescriptions as needed.
Cons
Cost of Parking, Benefits changing
Hospital admitting for local childrens hospital
Admitting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 4, 2015
Typical word day: Admit patients into hospital for OP or IP stays. Answer phones, Visit patient rooms for direct admits and HIPPA consults and signatures
What I learned: I wasn't at this job long, but I learned how strong these children are and it was a joy being a part of that
Management: Management was great
Co-workers: Good group of people to work with
Hardest part of job: Having to go into patient rooms to have them sign papers. Since it was a children's hospital most of the patients were repeat and had to go through this every time. Most of the parents seemed annoyed to have to sign additional paperwork when they had a sick child.
Most enjoyable: Seeing the positive attitude these children had
Pros
Working for a well known hospital that has helped so many children
Cons
Parking, having to go to patients rooms to for paperwork
Great place to work!
PAS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 23, 2016
The organization is progressive and supportive, if you want to move and succeed in the organization it is possible. In some it may seem that it could take a while but it is a large organization.
Fun place to work
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 14, 2016
This was a travel assignment for me and one of my most favorite places to work thus far. I think the management needs a little work but this place is overall a great place to work.
Pros
Good location, Good money, Great place to work, Good people
Too bad for unions
Nurse (Current Employee) –  OHSUJanuary 10, 2016
The union destroys this place. They also waste money on paying the their theory nurses. This place will fall due to their skewed priorities and unmanageable union members.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Union, Wasteful Professional Practice Leaders, Management doing staff committee work
Busy, high energy place to work. Challenging, required intelligence and experience.
Medical Student Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonMay 11, 2012
Enjoyed working with medical students and helping them get through the maze of regulations from the Nat'l Bd of Medical Examiners and the OHSU Dean's Office. Also enjoyed the independence and being able to originate my own program management methods in placing students as well as producing and maintaining the considerable paperwork needed for each student. Co-workers were great team players--we helped each other a lot and had fun together. The hardest part of the job was to professionally meet the demands of literally hundreds of people.
Pros
excellent benefits, great co-workers, interesting/challenging work.
Cons
job security is weak due to budgetary issues
Hard place to work
AP Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2016
Problem with person who thought I was taking her position. Was hired to do one thing and never got to do it because of being pulled into something else and nobody having the time to train me.
IT Field Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2016
Enjoyed working at OHSU. Great pay, benefits, and working conditions. Excellent educational opportunities and work environment.
Great pay, benefits, hours, extremely difficult unit, minimal management support
RN on Neurosciences Unit, 10K (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 7, 2014
Very high acuity patients with conditions consisting primarily of strokes, seizures, head and neck free tissue flaps, trachs, spinal surgery recovery. Many require q2h turns and incontinence care. Typically 4 patients per RN on a 30 bed unit.

Co-workers agreeable, but culture is made somewhat difficult for new grad nurses. Not a lot of support from management and very high expectations.
Pros
pay, benefits, flexible scheduling, night staff can park for free
Cons
difficult culture for new grads (almost like boot camp), short or no breaks, only 1 cna at night
Large stable company with management issues
Logistics Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 17, 2012
OHSU has a very distinctive culture and is a large stable organization. Each day was different and presented a more unique challenge. Over the six years I worked at this organization, I learned how to manage people effectively and each day reinforced my desire to stand up for what was right and for my staff. Upper management can often be disconnected from line staff and that often gets in the way of getting the job done. By far, the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with my direct reports. They are a truly wonderful group of people.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
lack of appreciation of staff

Oregon Health Sciences University Reviews by Location