Oregon Health Sciences University

Oregon Health Sciences University Employer Reviews

Very educational place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 11, 2014
This was a great place to work, I just want to advance my knowledge and have more lab responsibly.
Great pay, benefits, hours, extremely difficult unit, minimal management support
RN on Neurosciences Unit, 10K (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 7, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, flexible scheduling, night staff can park for free
Cons: difficult culture for new grads (almost like boot camp), short or no breaks, only 1 cna at night
Very high acuity patients with conditions consisting primarily of strokes, seizures, head and neck free tissue flaps, trachs, spinal surgery recovery. Many require q2h turns and incontinence care. Typically 4 patients per RN on a 30 bed unit.

Co-workers agreeable, but culture is made somewhat difficult for new grad nurses. Not a lot of support from – more... management and very high expectations. – less
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Portland, ORJune 2, 2014
Pros: educational experience
Cons: busy environment and difficult to get a lunch break
I cared for a variety of medical and surgical patients. I assessed, planned, implemented and evaluated their care. I worked 12 hour night shifts. I then switched to 12 hour day shifts for about a month. Collaborated with coworkers including case management, physical and occupational therapists, CNAs and fellow nurses.
Two hard parts of the job were – more... the long shifts and the night shifts. I enjoyed learning about new illnesses as well as caring for the patients in any and all areas that they needed care. – less
Excellent work environment.
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee), Portland, ORMay 20, 2014
Excellent techs, management.
Generalist working in Chemistry, Hematology, Coag, Urinalysis and Body Fluids.
Union Job has it's pro's and con's
Excellent hours and benefits.
Brand new lab with state of the art technology and only automated line on West Coast.
Fast paced environment
Volunteer/Shadowed (Former Employee), Portland, OregonMay 13, 2014
Pros: fast paced
Cons: n/a
The employees were constantly moving and I always had something to help out with. The Rock and roll marathon was a great success and plan to intern again in the future.
loved working for ohsu
Office Specialist (Current Employee), Portland, ORMay 11, 2014
I would suggest working for them and with any department there
Independent, high patient interaction, active
Transportation Aid / Lift Team (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 7, 2014
Pros: active, friendly environment, great coworkers, great management.
Cons: slow advancement
This was a great job for a time. I got to interact almost constantly with patients, nurses, doctors, and family members. Coordinating appointments between departments, giving directions, and creating bonds with the patients I moved. The hardest part was seeing them pass. Dealing with the stillborns, or worst of all the children. I learned to accept – more... emergent patients from both the ER or the helipad, to take in the chaos and facilitate order. I got to help make people more comfortable, help them get better, help the nurses with their tasks and duties, and help people feel less fear. Helping was by far the BEST part of the job. – less
awesome!
Sterile Processing Technician II (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 30, 2014
great staff and facility,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Working with professionals.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 29, 2014
Pros: all of the above.
Cons: often working alone, low wages.
I enjoyed working with doctors and researchers. I had the opportunity to look up journal articles for them and did their manuscript revisions. A bit hectic getting grants and manuscripts pushed through by deadlines, but all in all, a great environment.
Diverse and culturally competent workforce but has a ways to go to streamline processes & increase operational efficiency
Office Manager, Administration & Personnel (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 28, 2014
Pros: robust benefits package
Oregon Health & Science University is a nationally recognized health and research university, and Oregon’s only academic health center. Knowledge is the thread that weaves through all that they do.

At OHSU, you have a chance to further your learning, discover something new and touch the lives of people in the community.

OHSU values a competent workforce – more... so every day requires that you bring your best to the customers you serve. – less
Administrative work has its challenges
Analyst (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 14, 2014
Pros: work life balance, health programs, co-workers, ...
Cons: not a cohesive mission, unbalanced administration
In the non-patient area, the work is challenging but to get approval to do your work is what makes it dissatisfying. In my humble opinion, the value of empowerment is not in the culture unless you're in a management level.
great
Patient Transport (Former Employee), oregonApril 3, 2014
this is a fun place to be. very fast paced. please here are nice
Extremely political
Credentialing Coordinator (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 12, 2014
The work its self is great due to the fact that I have done it for years. However, when it comes to management is seems as though the political pecking order of high school comes back into play. There is poor managerial skills, completely unprofessional, does not adhere to the Union Contract and so forth.

If you do not play the game you do not get – more... very far. This of course is true for many facilities but it seems even more so at OHSU. What a shame too. It was viewed when I had first started as such a wonderful place to work. Since deciding to leave, I can say there are far better places to put my skills to use. – less
Leading edge medical care for patients with diverse health issues.
Staff RN - 4A Abdominal Transplant (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 7, 2014
Rewarding and challenging direct nursing care.

Staff work as a team to provide optimal patient care.
Administrative Support
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: diversity
Cons: layoffs
After nine years of employment, I respect the work they do caring for patients. My management was fair, professional and positive.
learning experince
Medical Assisting Extern (Former Employee), portland, oregonJanuary 23, 2014
working at ohsu was very learning job. it was a school program to work and I felt happy to work there and get the experience from all the doctors.
ok plac to work
Academic Manager (Former Employee), Portland OregonJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: learning about the medical field
Cons: parking
It was a good place to work for the first 5 years. Due to many changes in leadership it was bumpy that last two years.
Lots of politics, low engagement
Non-medical professional (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 9, 2014
Politically charged environment makes it very difficult to get work done or institute change/improvement,
great workplace
Hospital Transportation Aide (Former Employee), Portland, OrJanuary 3, 2014
I worked as a transport and i learned a lot. Staffs are very helpful
Enjoyable working with patients
Volunteer/intern (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 1, 2014
Escorting patients and guests to appointments in timely matter, providing wheelchairs, and greeting patients and guests throughout the hospital

1 2 3