Oregon Humane Society Employee Reviews

A wonderful place to work
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 29, 2016
Working with such an impassioned crew of folks, committed to the mission of animal welfare, was truly an honor.

If there's anything the organization can do better, it is raise the minimum wages for the animal and customer care specialists, many of whom are doing much more than entry level work. I recommend a livable wage of $15/hour for experienced specialists.
Pros
Terrific comraderie and dedication to mission
Cons
Low entry level pay; huge disparity in pay between management and staff
Working for a good cause
Special Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 13, 2016
I was part of a contract full time job. Mainly, assisting with their biggest event, Doggie Dash. I maintained the registration site, provided customer service on any challenges of registrants. Creating sponsor agreements and managing them in Salesforce.

Hardest part of the job was probably towards the end when things got a little hectic before event day. Just trying to make sure sponsors has what they needed, and donations were delivered in a timely manner.

Management was great. I couldn't ask for better co-workers. They helped me out whenever I had questions. Most enjoyable was knowing all the work and fundraising was for the pets!
Pros
Got to see the animals everyday! Also, my dog joined me at work.
Cons
That is was a contract job. Loved working there.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 11, 2015
It was a great place to work if you love animals and love working with people. The work is hard, fast paced but you work with a lot of dedicated, like minded people. Sometimes you can bring your pet to work.
Employees love the Animals, Management Needs Overhaul
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 27, 2013
The animals are taken great care of at OHS and the staff and volunteers care deeply for them also. Co-workers were wonderful people but the management is a different story. They are very one sided and don't like to hear the voices of the "lower" paid staff. This was very discouraging and I would have loved to have worked there longer but could not stand the attitudes of the management any longer. They have lost many good staff members due to this reason.

Also, if management didn't like what you had to say or if you weren't always in agreement with them they would find a way to get rid of you. Even those people who had been there 10 years or longer. Very sad to see. Get some new, more caring managers of their employees and that place would be very good to work for! Plus don't expect to get paid much or get very good raises unless you are management.
Pros
good benefits, line staff and volunteers are great people and care about the animals
Cons
management is out of touch with their line staff and needs to be overhauled
Hard working volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2013
I love working here because the people are very nice and the place is very work friendly. Great place and always a place to change people lives.
A Great Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 14, 2013
It was very fulfilling. I wish I could get back and volunteer again but life has got in the way.

Want to know more about Oregon Humane Society?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oregon Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7