Oregon State University

Oregon State University United States Employee Reviews

Obtained critical training in my field
SEVIS Coordinator/ International Student Advisor (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORMarch 15, 2015
Worked with international students, management negative and not available (she worked part time).

As an entry level employee, left to make critical decisions and hold down the fort.

Fast paced environment would be fine as long as compensation was available for filling in for manager.

Most enjoyable, working with students; most difficult, the university is not a very diverse place to work.
Typical Academia setting
Faculty Research Assistant (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Cons: poor salary compensation
Okay place to work provided the employee can accept the conditions of working in academia, such as well below market pay scale. The benefits are fine, Corvallis is decent place to live. By "decent" it's a typical smaller college town with a pleasant natural setting. If you suffer from allergies this isn't the place to live; the air is toxic.

Quality of management at the university varies by department.
Not invested in employees and no security
University Supervisor (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: schedule is at my discretion, supervisors are fantastic
Cons: very low compensation, little to no security, no formal training available.
I was originally mislead with the compensation for this position, turning down two other jobs in the process. I have worked for two other colleges and Oregon State determines their pay schedule and results in 1/2 my expected salary. I am also expected to be available throughout the academic year, yet am only compensated for half of it. There was no formal training for my position and almost entirely independent, making it challenging for me to improve and constantly extend myself to my program coordinators to see if I am fulfilling my obligations at a satisfactory level.
Great university, interesting project
Faculty Research Assistant (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: limited chances for increase in salary
I worked on a project, starting with almost no knowledge of the field. I was part of a well-run team that meshed very well.My coworkers were very knowledgeable in the field, and very willing to share their expertise.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORFebruary 7, 2015
It's a great place to work. You can obtain deep insight from the top talents around the world and learn from them. And it's very helpful to build your professional skills and soft skills as well.
Excellent.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORFebruary 6, 2015
Oregon State University promotes excellence in research, instruction, and service; focuses on the professional development of students; and promotes inclusion across the diaspora of the human experience.
Great place to be at
Courtesy Faculty (Former Employee), CorvallisJanuary 26, 2015
I have only had courtesy position.
Nice connections
Great research environment
An inclusive learning work environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORJanuary 17, 2015
My employer provided support when I requested support and responsibility when I requested responsibility
nice place but need to work hard as a research assistant in Computer Science
Research Assistant Oregon State University (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORJanuary 15, 2015
nice place but need to work hard as a research assistant in Computer Science. But it depend on the advisor a lot.
nice work environment with vast diversity
Graduate Student Lab Worker (Current Employee), Corvallis, OregonJanuary 5, 2015
Each day at work excites me about different possibilities that I might encounter. I have learned scientific as well as life-skills from my job. My co-workers are very co-operative and guide me through whenever I am in a doubt.
Welcoming and productive place to work with a good number of forward thinking professors
Graduate Research Student (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORDecember 18, 2014
For the most part, researchers are given alot of freedom to work their own hours to get their projects completed. The professors and understanding and willing to help further your career by finding any possible internships or job shadowing opportunities for you. Everyone I work with wants to be there to further their education and have productive and hardworking attitudes. The hardest part of the job is lack of guidance and structure in the workplace but it is made up for by the freedom to choose how you want to approach your project.
An outstanding place to work.
Cook I. Lead (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORDecember 2, 2014
An inventory of all production needed for the day per each departments orders.Soups for the deli,oriental sliced chicken and beef for the stir fry venue,marinated whole chickens for the all American venue. Ordering up stock from storage.

Product development of baked goods for the grab and go store.

Working with management and co-workers, from around the world,was a rewarding experience.

Learning to cut the oriental meats to standards was a big challenge .
Great people
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), corvallis, OregonNovember 28, 2014
Make every effort not to pay for benefits if you are part time.
Workplace
Accounting Technician, Contract Leader (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORNovember 26, 2014
Great place with community oriented individuals. Great developmental opportunities and great work life balance. Great support from the staff up top.
N/A
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Corvallis, ORNovember 20, 2014
It is a great university. People are kind there. The engineering department is the start there, so if you are looking for a position, something related with engineering always gives a good environment
Career killer
Research associate (Current Employee), CorvallisNovember 14, 2014
Pros: reasonable work schedule, decent benefits
Cons: see comments above
My experience has probably been more negative than is typical. I've worked as a post doc/research associate here for many years. In the department I work in there is a culture of utilizing PhD researchers without allowing them to develop their own careers. In particular, most post doc/researchers (in this particular department) are strictly forbidden from applying for grants with the intent being to not develop future 'competitors'. If you're geographically tied to the area, this leaves you in a position of remaining in an underclass, doing the research for other scientists grants and being poorly compensated for it (compared to other similar institutions). If you find yourself in one of these positions there is no path to career advancement whatsoever. Funding has been offered to me on a 6-12 month basis, with 6 week notice of reappointment of extension, which leaves you constantly worrying about being unemployed in the near future.
A number of the faculty members I have worked with have been arrogant, egotistical, and devoid of modern management skills. In my case often PI's egos have dictated the research direction rather than a sound scientific method. As the researcher you're left holding the bag at the end of the grant, having chased red herrings for a couple years with no viable publications to show for it.
If you come to work here as a post doc make sure that your career objectives are clearly understood and respected before you sign on. Make sure the job truly fits your goals as a scientist. If you're not one of the chosen few with special post doc status, that allows – more... you to pursue your own funding, and you need the job, get in, use the place and the people to network and to learn the ropes, and get out. Have an exit plan to leave within 1-2 years so that your career doesn't get stifled by the place.
This of course is based on my personal experience here which is a function of the particular faculty I worked with. Others might have a much more positive opinion. – less
Offers any opportunity you manage to create
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Corvallis, ORNovember 10, 2014
Pros: great opportunities and compensation
Cons: none so long as you can avoid the incompetent dr. pence
It's a pretty good university and a great place to work as a staff member. The students are ambitious and the labs have nice equipment. Most of the professors are great but it's hard to avoid the one that isn't due to the small department size.
Productive Researching Academics
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Corvallis, OROctober 21, 2014
Great faculty and social events. Fun and work balance. Diverse group of people that enjoy the outdoors and activities.
Enjoyed my time, and made connections that will last a lifetime
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Corvallis, OROctober 16, 2014
Pros: most things
Cons: having to leave
Very positive work environment with plenty of support. People were always available for consultation on work projects and the atmosphere was conducive to moving research forward. I felt that solving research problems were extremely rewarding, which only encourages good work.
I'm a contract employee, so my experience is different
Videographer / Production Assistant (Current Employee), Corvallis, OROctober 11, 2014
Pros: free lunches, fun and professional coworkers. good managers.
Cons: long drive from portland
I work the media. We're a different animal. It's fun, fast-paced and professional.

1 2 3 4 5