Oregon State University Employee Reviews in United States

OSU is a very large, very wasteful bureaucracy.
Accountant 1, Forestry and Ocean Business Center (Former Employee) –  Newport, ORFebruary 5, 2016
I have never worked for an organization that I have seen so much money wasted. Most of the supervisors are myopic and have poor money management skills. Employee productivity is very low because of poor management.
Pros
High pay and high benefits
Cons
Poor management
Working at OSU Concessions
Clerk/Cashier (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 13, 2015
Working at OSU concessions, you have different co-workers all the time, and they can be very under qualified, or need excessive help, and it can be a challenge. Your co-workers also could be very rowdy or disrupt work, and because you do not have access to higher supervisors, it is a very difficult and trying process if you wish to report any negative behaviors. Although having a constantly changing array of co-workers can be difficult, it also has its benefits. Such as being able to meet and work with new and different kinds of people on a daily to weekly basis.
Pros
Free Item
Cons
Short breaks
Not a good place to work.
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 4, 2015
Annual contracts makes working at OSU a unsettling place to work. If your boss doesn't like you for any reason they can choose not to renew your contract. It make no difference how well you preform your job or the positive outcomes resulting from your hard work. It is an intimidating environment for the unclassified staff that has no protection from bullying bosses.
The politics are over the top and make no sense. OSU is not a nice place to work.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
No stability
Fun enviroment and steady employment.
Special Campus Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  OregonAugust 24, 2015
Oregon State University was a great place to work with fantastic benefits. Daily work responsibilities included providing excellent security for the campus community. I had fantastic co-workers but a very unsteady management team.
Benefits
Cons
Department organization
A good place to work
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJune 12, 2015
I worked in the Department of Public Safety for almost 20 years. That department was a great place to work. Management was fair, committed to their employees and to the University's mission.

If you work hard, you will earn their respect. If you don't, they won't keep you.

The only complaint I had was the worldview of the University was not supportive of the Christian worldview. But, that's to be expected on a liberal university campus.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Political correctness
Productive and Fun Work Place
Impact Physical Education Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 31, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with Oregon State University, the typical day was review daily lessons. Take student through adapted activities. In my time there the only I could have asked for was a stronger plan from the management staff, and two more time given for documenting records.
Pros
Variety and Friendship
Cons
Short time to plan and implement
Not invested in employees and no security
University Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 18, 2015
I was originally mislead with the compensation for this position, turning down two other jobs in the process. I have worked for two other colleges and Oregon State determines their pay schedule and results in 1/2 my expected salary. I am also expected to be available throughout the academic year, yet am only compensated for half of it. There was no formal training for my position and almost entirely independent, making it challenging for me to improve and constantly extend myself to my program coordinators to see if I am fulfilling my obligations at a satisfactory level.
Pros
schedule is at my discretion, supervisors are fantastic
Cons
very low compensation, little to no security, no formal training available.
Great place to work and grow as a University student.
STUDENT MULTIMEDIA SERVICES OREGON STATE (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 19, 2016
Experienced evaluating customer satisfaction and redesigning a system to meet customer’s needs. Trained new employees. Knowledge of new media technology, customer support, and production/product management skills.
Obtained critical training in my field
SEVIS Coordinator/ International Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 15, 2015
Worked with international students, management negative and not available (she worked part time).

As an entry level employee, left to make critical decisions and hold down the fort.

Fast paced environment would be fine as long as compensation was available for filling in for manager.

Most enjoyable, working with students; most difficult, the university is not a very diverse place to work.
Typical Academia setting
Faculty Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 27, 2015
Okay place to work provided the employee can accept the conditions of working in academia, such as well below market pay scale. The benefits are fine, Corvallis is decent place to live. By "decent" it's a typical smaller college town with a pleasant natural setting. If you suffer from allergies this isn't the place to live; the air is toxic.

Quality of management at the university varies by department.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
poor salary compensation
Great place to work and grow
Writing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJune 11, 2016
Oregon State University is a wonderful job. I find my job as a GTA incredibly fulfilling, and the faculty and staff are aggressively supportive.
Good Place for camping and outdoor activities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 14, 2016
University is located in a small city and very quiet. Definitly, nice place for study. Especially, college of engineering is good and famous companies (HP, Intel, CH2MHill) near by.
A Job But Not an Adventure
Rather Not Say (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 5, 2012
Turnover rate is very high in some departments. The University culture and Corvallis in general are stagnant and unimaginative. Pay is just okay and furlough days are not mentioned in advance, benefit costs are based upon the completion of health surveys which border on privacy invasion, leadership is hypocritical and uninspiring, the work tedious, feedback negative, co-workers' were clicky and morale was low. The overall environment felt military-like, with little encouragement to succeed. Promotion from within appears difficult for most. Those who have worked there for many years appear to be closed-minded and in control, adding to the stagnant culture. Internal organizational structure is disjointed and ineffective. The student experience may be fine, but if you seek a positive and satisfying work experience, I do not recommend working here.
Pros
pretty campus, nice to walk around at lunch
Cons
parking, management tactics, benefits, wages, advancement potential
Overall Oregon State University is a good place for earning more experience
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, OR 97331December 31, 2012
Oregon State University is a good place for earning more experience in research and being more familiar with working in lab, greenhouse and field studies. As a educational community which its first aim is training students to make them ready for their future career and goals, i am very satisfied with them but the salary as a research assistantship is not satisfactory and if you are a full time student its not so easy to make your ends meet. Its a good place to be involved with practical science and learn from the other people avdisors to be well organized for the future responsibilites in whatever position you get a job.
Pros
good opportunity to learn more and gain experience, working with different people from various desceplines as a team member or working individually
Cons
research assistantships do not cover all the student's expences, quarter terms passes very quickly
this was a remote position. Never spent time on campus other than meetings.
Graduate Assistant/Curriculum Developer (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, OR 97331February 9, 2016
OSU is a great place to be. I would love to work here but right now I am looking to finish my project and secure employment in a community college.
Self-paced work environment with lots of perks
Faculty Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 31, 2016
I love working at Oregon State University! There are a lot of health and fitness programs to participate in and it's a supportive environment for continued learning.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay as a faculty research assistant
Administration Very Political
Training & Organizational Effectiveness (Current Employee) –  Corvallis ORDecember 5, 2012
The work load is demanding, resources are scarce, but work is rewarding and the sky is the limit to create the job you want if you are professional faculty and in the right department. It is vital to grow your network and develop relationships with colleagues to get things done. There are some units who are on the extreme side politically and it makes for a rough time trying to move forward at times. Some units do a better job at orienting new employees than others. Check references of units and colleges who are advertising jobs if you can. Pay is not the great, benefits are good, but are eroding each year which is expected due to economical impacts.
Pros
community, variety in work, rewarding
Cons
political, slow-moving, bureacratic
Great Balance between work and school
SCARC Reference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 25, 2016
Working for OSU while attending OSU as a student provided great flexibility in scheduled work hours that met with the demands of having a variable schedule due to different classes each term.
Oregon State University
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 2, 2013
Worst place that I have ever worked. Completely unorganized. Benefits stink. And I hope you have 300 extra dollars to pay for parking or enjoy walking in the rain for anywhere from1-2 miles, because you can either park way off campus for free and walk, or pay and still fight for parking. Oh and don't let them fail to mention, it's a union job so there's extra money coming out of your check. So really what you think is a competitive wage, by the time everything is taken out, you're basically paying the university to work there.
Pros
1/2 tuition for employees
Cons
pretty much everything about it
Great university, interesting project
Faculty Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 18, 2015
I worked on a project, starting with almost no knowledge of the field. I was part of a well-run team that meshed very well.My coworkers were very knowledgeable in the field, and very willing to share their expertise.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
limited chances for increase in salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oregon State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3