Oregon Zoo Employee Reviews

Enjoyable experience as a volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 24, 2017
I worked at the Oregon Zoo for two summers as a volunteer, and briefly during my senior year of high school as a shadow. Both times the people were very helpful in telling me what to do and offered a very hands on experience as I helped educate zoo guests about the animals. I highly recommend the Oregon Zoo's ZooTeens program for anyone looking to give their children something fun and engaging for them to do over the summer.
Pretty okay...
Working Lead (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 27, 2017
It can be busy and frustrating, but the management and team create a good environment to work in. Since becoming part of the local union, they have improved many working conditions for the employees, especially the supervisors. Advancing is easy to do if you show initiative and motivation.
Dive at the Zoo
Volunteer Diver (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 29, 2017
I had the opportunity to be a volunteer diver at the Oregon Zoo and help maintain the sea otters, sea lions and penguin enclosures. I was a glorified underwater janitor but was happy to do it!
The best place to work
Litter patrol (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 18, 2017
I am a people person. I love helping others and being out working among the guests gave me so much pleasure. And after23 years of employment I felt like I knew everything there was to know. And sharing my knowledge with guests really made me feel GREAT.
Pros
Being outside, sharing my knowledge with people and being out amongst the kids, grandparents...people in general.
Seasonal and unbenifitted.
Line Cook - Catering Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 15, 2017
Zoo jobs are considered seasonal, so you are limited to a certain number of hours per fiscal year to work. Once your hours are up, you are sent home until the fiscal year restarts. No benefits.
Great place to volunteer!
Team Lead/Zoo Teen (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 7, 2017
The Zoo is a great place to learn about animals, ecosystems, public relations, animal husbandry etc. They show how much care and attention is given to each animal housed there.
Pros
genuinely care about the animals and their well-being, also genuinely care about their visitors
Cons
some of the volunteers don't have the best people skills (to be fair, that's what they're there to learn)
a fun way to learn
zoo teen (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 25, 2017
the Oregon zoo it a wonderful place to work there are even volunteer opportunities for teens if you love animals you will love working at the zoo and learning at the same time
Great volunteer experience
Volunteer Zoo Guide (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 24, 2017
Instructions for applying and moving forward with the zoo were very clear. The instructors and senior volunteers are very friendly and do an outstanding job educating the new volunteers and making everyone feel welcome despite the large number of volunteers and employees working there.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2017
loved being around the wild animals. seeing concerts, I learned how to make cotton candy, I loved the people I worked with, smelling like cotton candy then taking the bus home.
My very first job
Conservation Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 11, 2016
The Oregon Zoo was my very first job. I still have life long friends and references from here, and I wouldn't change anything about this place! APPLY!
Pros
Diverse, Beautiful, Whole Hearted Staff
Cons
Lots of walking
Excellent, Fun and Fulfilling job, Poor management.
Farm Mentor Relief Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 26, 2016
I loved almost everything about this job, even on the worst days I still loved it.

My typical day for me included:
-feeding and checking on the animals throughout the day
-checking updates from the previous week
-direct volunteers in daily chores and make sure they stay on task
-administering medications to animals that needed it
-providing enrichment to animals
-educating public and volunteers
-write up daily report
-close up the building after checking all locks and doing a final check on the animals.

I learned a massive amount at the Oregon Zoo including animal training, animal husbandry, leadership skills, public speaking skills, and good cleaning habits to name a few.

My co-workers and volunteers I worked alongside were wonderful and I learned as much from them as they did from me. I enjoyed interacting with the visitors to the zoo and teaching about the animals I cared for and the environment we share with them. The hardest part of my job was seeing animals go down hill, especially if the animal was one I particularly cared for. But this was also one of the best parts of my job that I was lucky enough to build the special bonds with these amazing creatures and teach people about them.

The only the bad thing I have to say about this job is about the management. When I first started the job the management was wonderful, really understood the job and its requirements and also cared deeply about the people that worked under them. A new manager was hired and changed the entire feel of the job and treated the existing employees very poorly and
  more... also had very poor management skills enough so that they caused many employees to quit.

Overall good job, just needed better management.
Pros
Amazing job, Great Co-workers, Wonderful Animals
Cons
Poor Management
semi ok employer
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 2, 2016
during the summer its a pretty cool job to have, constantly busy, your able to enjoy concerts and see wildlife shows daily, and you work with a lot of your friends.
Pros
free entrance to the zoo for you and your family
Cons
absolutly no advancement, no compensation no benefits, and the culture resemboles a high school
A great place to learn and teach
Wild Minds Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonMay 27, 2015
After arriving I would pair up with a partner and set up a booth with activities targeted for younger children. I spent the day teaching about whatever topic I was assigned, as well as answering general questions as best I could. This taught me how to teach, engage with others, and be a positive presence wherever I am. The management was friendly and supportive, although I was rarely with them. This job stretched me to be more engaging, which took me out of my comfort zone. The best part of the job was knowing that I had contributed to the well functioning of the zoo.
Fun temporary job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 14, 2015
Straight forward customer service work. Met some interesting people. Worked hard during the busy season. Work is spotting during the off season.
Nice friendly people
Interim Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 13, 2015
Everyone at the zoo is super nice. Everyone is so helpful to new people coming in and willing to share their wealth of knowledge.
On break you can go and see your favorite animal.
Pros
Free admission to family
Cons
Seasonal/Temporary Position
Best Office in the world:)
Security Officer/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 4, 2015
Walking the grounds, interacting with the public while making sure everyone is safe! Daily reports on all activity - open communication with all members.
Pros
Beautiful scenery and awesome people to work with.
Not Friendly to Students
Server (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 12, 2015
Working here was tough. They don't care about any part of your life except work. They want you all to themselves and to not go to school. If you want to go to school stay away.
Good summer job, but not much room for advancement
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 21, 2014
Guest services handles most customer interactions. We sell tickets, hand out maps and tell guests what is on the day's agenda, scan and tear tickets, sell tickets for the train and work in interactive exhibits.

Co-workers and management are mostly friendly and easy to work with. Typical work environment, generally positive.

Hardest part of the job would probably be the lack of benefits, and most positions are technically seasonal/temporary. This is not a reliable job to live off of, but is great for a bit of extra money during summer/zoo lights. Expect to pay to park.

Most enjoyable part of this job is how pleased everyone is when they're coming to the zoo. Most guests are pleasant and I have not had many difficult interactions with the public. If you like making kids happy, this job is fairly rewarding.
Pros
Flexible schedule, very able to work around school or other work schedules.
Cons
Zero benefits, very few oppourtunities for advancement.
Fast paced environment, management pretty cool, annoying co workers.
Food Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 9, 2014
A typical day at work would be showing up to the Cascade Grill break room to see what position you were assigned to that day. You would then go and clock in at that position and pretty much just fill orders/make food/clean dining areas/etc. (depending on where you were for the day). The worst thing about the job is that you show up and either work until you have worked 8 hours or until someone tells you to go home. Never had a clue when I would go home when I worked there.
Pros
Free dead food/soda, 25% discount on food
Cons
No idea when you are going home on a work day
Over-reliance on seasonal and temporary work
Line Leader (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 11, 2014
All food service employees and many employees from other departments are considered temporary. I've worked in the restaurants for over 7 years, year-round, and I am still a temporary employee. Many of my peers have worked longer than I. This has led to high turnover, persistent under-staffing and low morale, among other problems. Also, so-called temps have been on a pay freeze for over 3 years, despite record-breaking attendance and sales.
That being said, there are some fabulous front-end managers at the zoo. Approachable, understanding and hard-working they make a difficult workplace tolerable. Unfortunately, one is retiring and another is looking for another job. A wide variety of people from a range of backgrounds work in all departments. I've heard many people say they have a hard time leaving because of the many bonds they've formed there.
So if you want a job where you can work hard alongside some interesting people at minimum wage with no benefits or chance for advancement, the zoo is perfect.
Pros
you and your immediate family can go to the zoo for free, 25% off food
Cons
high turnover, low morale, no healthcare, no raises, pay for parking, no holiday pay, 1040 hours cap /year