Oregon Zoo Employee Reviews

My very first job
Conservation Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 11, 2016
The Oregon Zoo was my very first job. I still have life long friends and references from here, and I wouldn't change anything about this place! APPLY!
Pros
Diverse, Beautiful, Whole Hearted Staff
Cons
Lots of walking
semi ok employer
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 2, 2016
during the summer its a pretty cool job to have, constantly busy, your able to enjoy concerts and see wildlife shows daily, and you work with a lot of your friends.
Pros
free entrance to the zoo for you and your family
Cons
absolutly no advancement, no compensation no benefits, and the culture resemboles a high school
A great place to learn and teach
Wild Minds Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonMay 27, 2015
After arriving I would pair up with a partner and set up a booth with activities targeted for younger children. I spent the day teaching about whatever topic I was assigned, as well as answering general questions as best I could. This taught me how to teach, engage with others, and be a positive presence wherever I am. The management was friendly and supportive, although I was rarely with them. This job stretched me to be more engaging, which took me out of my comfort zone. The best part of the job was knowing that I had contributed to the well functioning of the zoo.
Fun temporary job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 14, 2015
Straight forward customer service work. Met some interesting people. Worked hard during the busy season. Work is spotting during the off season.
Nice friendly people
Interim Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 13, 2015
Everyone at the zoo is super nice. Everyone is so helpful to new people coming in and willing to share their wealth of knowledge.
On break you can go and see your favorite animal.
Pros
Free admission to family
Cons
Seasonal/Temporary Position
Best Office in the world:)
Security Officer/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 4, 2015
Walking the grounds, interacting with the public while making sure everyone is safe! Daily reports on all activity - open communication with all members.
Pros
Beautiful scenery and awesome people to work with.
Not Friendly to Students
Server (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 12, 2015
Working here was tough. They don't care about any part of your life except work. They want you all to themselves and to not go to school. If you want to go to school stay away.
Good summer job, but not much room for advancement
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 21, 2014
Guest services handles most customer interactions. We sell tickets, hand out maps and tell guests what is on the day's agenda, scan and tear tickets, sell tickets for the train and work in interactive exhibits.

Co-workers and management are mostly friendly and easy to work with. Typical work environment, generally positive.

Hardest part of the job would probably be the lack of benefits, and most positions are technically seasonal/temporary. This is not a reliable job to live off of, but is great for a bit of extra money during summer/zoo lights. Expect to pay to park.

Most enjoyable part of this job is how pleased everyone is when they're coming to the zoo. Most guests are pleasant and I have not had many difficult interactions with the public. If you like making kids happy, this job is fairly rewarding.
Pros
Flexible schedule, very able to work around school or other work schedules.
Cons
Zero benefits, very few oppourtunities for advancement.
Fast paced environment, management pretty cool, annoying co workers.
Food Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 9, 2014
A typical day at work would be showing up to the Cascade Grill break room to see what position you were assigned to that day. You would then go and clock in at that position and pretty much just fill orders/make food/clean dining areas/etc. (depending on where you were for the day). The worst thing about the job is that you show up and either work until you have worked 8 hours or until someone tells you to go home. Never had a clue when I would go home when I worked there.
Pros
Free dead food/soda, 25% discount on food
Cons
No idea when you are going home on a work day
Over-reliance on seasonal and temporary work
Line Leader (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 11, 2014
All food service employees and many employees from other departments are considered temporary. I've worked in the restaurants for over 7 years, year-round, and I am still a temporary employee. Many of my peers have worked longer than I. This has led to high turnover, persistent under-staffing and low morale, among other problems. Also, so-called temps have been on a pay freeze for over 3 years, despite record-breaking attendance and sales.
That being said, there are some fabulous front-end managers at the zoo. Approachable, understanding and hard-working they make a difficult workplace tolerable. Unfortunately, one is retiring and another is looking for another job. A wide variety of people from a range of backgrounds work in all departments. I've heard many people say they have a hard time leaving because of the many bonds they've formed there.
So if you want a job where you can work hard alongside some interesting people at minimum wage with no benefits or chance for advancement, the zoo is perfect.
Pros
you and your immediate family can go to the zoo for free, 25% off food
Cons
high turnover, low morale, no healthcare, no raises, pay for parking, no holiday pay, 1040 hours cap /year
Working in a zoo is just fun
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 6, 2013
I would help the manager set up in the morning for the day and close at night. Run the restaurant when they had to be at another place. To work as a team leader. Management was nice and helped a lot in the training. Co-workers well we all had fun and worked as a team. Working out in the carts with the bees. To give the costumers a fun and enjoyable meal while at the zoo.
Pros
Free addmission to the zoo
Cons
Hours hit and miss
Nice place
Guest Service Expert (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 6, 2013
Liked being able to see everything at the zoo day to day but difficult to keep everything in order for the fact of having so many employees
Loved Working At This Place. Wish I Could Work There Again
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2013
One of the best jobs I have ever had.
The employees were fun to be around & work with.
Pros
free employee membership to the zoo, free soda.
Cons
fast-paced, stressful work environment.
Beautiful location and great benefits
Life Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2012
Located in a beautiful park on the edge of Portland. Worked with many great people and with a diverse animal collection. Great pay and fabulous benefits.

2.9