Oregon Zoo

Oregon Zoo United States Employee Reviews

Not Friendly to Students
Server (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 12, 2015
Working here was tough. They don't care about any part of your life except work. They want you all to themselves and to not go to school. If you want to go to school stay away.
Good summer job, but not much room for advancement
Guest Services (Current Employee), Portland, ORApril 21, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, very able to work around school or other work schedules.
Cons: zero benefits, very few oppourtunities for advancement.
Guest services handles most customer interactions. We sell tickets, hand out maps and tell guests what is on the day's agenda, scan and tear tickets, sell tickets for the train and work in interactive exhibits.

Co-workers and management are mostly friendly and easy to work with. Typical work environment, generally positive.

Hardest part of the job would probably be the lack of benefits, and most positions are technically seasonal/temporary. This is not a reliable job to live off of, but is great for a bit of extra money during summer/zoo lights. Expect to pay to park.

Most enjoyable part of this job is how pleased everyone is when they're coming to the zoo. Most guests are pleasant and I have not had many difficult interactions with the public. If you like making kids happy, this job is fairly rewarding.
Fast paced environment, management pretty cool, annoying co workers.
Food Services Worker (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 9, 2014
Pros: free dead food/soda, 25% discount on food
Cons: no idea when you are going home on a work day
A typical day at work would be showing up to the Cascade Grill break room to see what position you were assigned to that day. You would then go and clock in at that position and pretty much just fill orders/make food/clean dining areas/etc. (depending on where you were for the day). The worst thing about the job is that you show up and either work until you have worked 8 hours or until someone tells you to go home. Never had a clue when I would go home when I worked there.
Over-reliance on seasonal and temporary work
Line Leader (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 11, 2014
Pros: you and your immediate family can go to the zoo for free, 25% off food
Cons: high turnover, low morale, no healthcare, no raises, pay for parking, no holiday pay, 1040 hours cap /year
All food service employees and many employees from other departments are considered temporary. I've worked in the restaurants for over 7 years, year-round, and I am still a temporary employee. Many of my peers have worked longer than I. This has led to high turnover, persistent under-staffing and low morale, among other problems. Also, so-called temps have been on a pay freeze for over 3 years, despite record-breaking attendance and sales.
That being said, there are some fabulous front-end managers at the zoo. Approachable, understanding and hard-working they make a difficult workplace tolerable. Unfortunately, one is retiring and another is looking for another job. A wide variety of people from a range of backgrounds work in all departments. I've heard many people say they have a hard time leaving because of the many bonds they've formed there.
So if you want a job where you can work hard alongside some interesting people at minimum wage with no benefits or chance for advancement, the zoo is perfect.
Working in a zoo is just fun
Guest Services (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 6, 2013
Pros: free addmission to the zoo
Cons: hours hit and miss
I would help the manager set up in the morning for the day and close at night. Run the restaurant when they had to be at another place. To work as a team leader. Management was nice and helped a lot in the training. Co-workers well we all had fun and worked as a team. Working out in the carts with the bees. To give the costumers a fun and enjoyable meal while at the zoo.
Nice place
Guest Service Expert (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 6, 2013
Liked being able to see everything at the zoo day to day but difficult to keep everything in order for the fact of having so many employees
Loved Working At This Place. Wish I Could Work There Again
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: free employee membership to the zoo, free soda.
Cons: fast-paced, stressful work environment.
One of the best jobs I have ever had.
The employees were fun to be around & work with.
Beautiful location and great benefits
Life Support Technician (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 5, 2012
Located in a beautiful park on the edge of Portland. Worked with many great people and with a diverse animal collection. Great pay and fabulous benefits.