Oriana House Employee Reviews

Very practical, hands on experience
Chemical Dependency Counselor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 30, 2016
Experience with AoD and adjudicated adults is invaluable. It sets a good foundation of this population; however, the work is over demanding resulting in a high turnover rate or self-care burnout.
Facilitates and maintains productive communication while maintaining a professional, prosocial relationship with clients and employees .
Resident Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 5, 2016
Maintain an active presence on the floor (common and dorm areas) by conducting frequent
circulations of the facility at a minimum 60 minute interval. Checks for unsafe conditions and
facility and dorm cleanliness. Documents and corrects conditions/takes steps to correct
conditions as required.
Completes scheduled activities including, but not limited to: intakes, random alco-sensor tests, Consistently adheres to, enforces, and effectively implements Agency and program policies and procedures and keeps current of any changes
in policies and procedures.
**Accurately accounts for the whereabouts of each client by conducting and documenting facility
whereabouts three (3) times per shift in accordance with Agency policy and procedures. Conduct urine drug screens, dorm searches, pat downs, and emergency drills (fire, tornado, etc.) in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Supervises the daily activities of clients while in the facility to include, but not limited to: clean
up, signing in and out of the facility, recreation, visitation, and meal times.

Managers and employees alike speak(s) positively about the program, Agency, and employees. Speaks positively about programming, law enforcement, courts, and the law in general.
Displays prosocial thinking and prosocial behavior. Demonstrates respect toward employees and clients.

Hardest part of the job is initially learning the in and out's of the and knowing your routine

My manager is great, and I like the flexibility she
  more... offers us (call off days that are most effective for us, whenever it makes sense). And the people I work with are great.

I also enjoy my core job function: turning Core Correctional Practices into something our clients can use to ultimately reduce recidivism. Interacting with the clients of different races and demographics–that’s all fun for me.
Pros
consistant schedule
Cons
no traditonal lunch break
great people
Recovery Coach (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 1, 2016
I loved working with the clients, and had excellent coworkers. I facilitated groups with many different people. I shared an office with a great guy, but the building was getting really full.
No Comment
Resident Supervisor-Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 12, 2016
A hard lesson on life and what you sacrifice ,to no satisfaction .When
management changed hands I was left out .My first job as a supervisor.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Think twice, high turnover rates.
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  AkronMay 10, 2016
The mission of the organization is truly admirable, however the corporate culture and management tend to be very cliquish. Some clients get value from the programs, however there are many clients that are put through the system multiple times. Management does tend to view their employees as only a commodity to be used up. Turnover rates are high and that speaks volumes for any organization.

Program value for clients should probably be evaluated more frequently, along with the educational and skill level necessary for each position. On-the-job training is minimal, and heaven forbid if you need additional help or guidance. Many co-workers were intimidated and feared management because of strong arm tactics.
Pros
There is a need for the types of programs offered by Oriana House in every community.
Cons
Negative/oppressive corporate culture and management
Fullfilling
Internal Affairs/Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, Ohio 44305April 23, 2016
A typical day involves reviewing and responding to telephone calls and emails from the various community corrections programs throughout northeast Ohio involving community correction staff and inmates, investigating incidents of staff integrity or boundary issues with resident and non-resident inmates court ordered to the Oriana House programs in lieu of jail or prison. Investigating incidents of federal PREA act of 2003 & 2013, in which inmates report incidents of abuse or harassment. I work directly for the Vice president of Administration. The hardest part of the job assisting HR in terminating employees that violated Oriana House policies and procedures through my investigations.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
Large Volume of cases
Good place if you are desperate for experience.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  AkronApril 23, 2016
If you have no clinical experience, and have a thick skin, then working here may be okay. A typical day at work is non-stop. Counselors have a very heavy work load. The paperwork, and case management requirements are about double what most agencies require of their staff. It is very common to be unable to take a lunch break. Positively, if you can work here, you can work anywhere. The clients are highly difficult, with anti-social tendencies, are often coerced into treatment, and are frequently verbally abusive towards counselors. Management's concerns are more about the bottom-line, with little concern for staff's well-being. The hardest parts about working here are the abusiveness of the clients, having job security being dependent upon clients' positive evaluations of you, being unable to take any days off, and having to enforce many questionable rules with clients. The most enjoyable part was that I know that if I survived here, I can thrive at any other agency.
Pros
Experience
Cons
No days off, and stressful work environment.
Fun workplace
Recruitment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 2, 2016
A lot of room for advancement. Co-workers are great to work with. The work atmosphere is very fun and the organization is for a good cause.
Great benenfits
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 23, 2016
Oriana House, Inc., has a great mission and the means to accomplish it. The employee benefits are the best I've had in over 20 years working. Working in the residential facilities is hard work but can be rewarding. Their training opportunities are unmatched. Employees can get help with any work issues that they need. The only negative thing is that there is little recognition from the higher-ups to those doing the work with the clients. Plus, favoritism puts un/under-qualified employees in positions they would not otherwise have.
Pros
Great benefits and training
Cons
Little to no recognition of good work
Stay far away
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 19, 2016
As a resident supervisor the pay is 11.50 with a college degree. Thats like minimum wage. If you like to be high stressed and spit on my inmates and threatened then this job is for you. High turnover and ridiculous jump through hoops hiring process where you have to spend money to get hired. Its just not worth it.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
Pay . Inmates. Treat you bad. Hiring process
Great work place with co-workers who cared about more than a pay check.
Recovery Coach (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Every day was different according to the needs of the clients making each day fun and challenging. I learned to work within the parameters of my job requirements. I felt valued by management. My co-workers were pleasant and engaging. The hardest part of the job was watching clients go back to active addiction. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the "light bulb" go on in a client's eyes and watch them move forward in their recovery from addiction.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
"working lunch"
Get to know the basics of community corrections work!
Cognitive Skills Specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioJuly 9, 2015
Everyday is an adventure. Each client and staff member has unique personalities and characteristics that must be considered as we work together towards effective social change. As a cognitive skills specialist the days include facilitation (both preparing and implementing) of related cognitive skills programming, computer documentation (results, logs, sanctions, and rewards), scheduling classes, team/staff meetings & training sessions, and interacting with clients. The latter is done by making ourselves available for assistance with homework, listening to concerns, and problem solving various situations that residents encounter as part of their experience in this Community-based Correctional Facility. Great starter job.
Pros
Taking part in social change, opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others, steady hours.
Cons
No paid breaks/lunches, limited upward movement, high-stress environment, no consistent pay increases.
Oriana House, Inc was a great experience to learn, grow and practice ones skills to contribute to a professional team of people in the criminal justic
Chemical Dependency Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 12, 2015
I enjoyed working with a well trained staff. Facilities that were safe and allowed a sense of security needed to focus on the job at hand. I worked within a team of criminal justice employees along with the treatment staff that always collaborated to ensure the best fit treatment for the clients/inmates. The communication was consistent with staff to ensure everyone was doing all they could to support that treatment rather for drugs/alcohol, mental health, employment, life skills or just being housed for the court.We had yearly trainings, weekly staff meetings, and daily supervision of duties and client complaints.
Pros
college reimbursement;good benefits;company free trainings;
Cons
sometimes the clashing of the two principles of criminal justice and substance abuse treatment
a rewarding place to work
Employment Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 1, 2015
rewarding position which allowed for me to provide assistance to individuals whom are in a difficult time in their lives.
Pros
intangible rewards
Great place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 16, 2015
Case management among other duties as an intern. Was also responsible for reviewing all inmate forms and ensured that forms were turned in at appropriate time.
It's always a new experience!
Resident Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 14, 2014
Everyday you will walk into a different situation. One day every client will be on their best behavior and the next day you might have to conduct CPR. The job can be enjoyable and it can also be stressful. Our staff are like family and they are always willing to help, if you ask. Nobody will judge you. The most enjoyable part of the job to me is hearing the stories of our clients life before being convicted and how they have changed. If anyone wants to put their foot in the door of Criminal Justice, Oriana House is a great place to begin.
Pros
Training Course, Co- Workers, Benefits, Management
Cons
Decent pay, constantly alert, constant change
Unstable work environment
Resident Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 6, 2014
Sometimes Disorganized, Not very helpful to the clients. They seem to only look at the clients as money not as individuals that need help in their recovery.
Satisfactory
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 28, 2014
In my opinion, working as a resident supervisor is a place to begin your career path off. In this position you will obtain skills such as teamwork, how to work in stressful situations, etc. These skills are transferable in any career but I would not want to make a career from Oriana House.
Pros
speaking with clients
Cons
pay rate
Great company with a great mission statement
Electronic Monitoring Technician (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 19, 2014
My typical day at work consists of monitoring clients currently on home incarceration. I then conduct then intake process that places new people on the home incarceration program. After this time, I then continue to monitor clients on the program while troubleshooting and answering questions that any clients may have. The management staff helps oversee the program and they assist whenever they may be called upon. My coworkers have excellent communication skills and will discuss issues with clients or work procedures with one another.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Understaffing.
review
Cognitive Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 27, 2014
I used to work a monday thru friday job. I'm looking for another job with similar perks. I liked my co-workers. I really enjoyed my job to the fullest. I love helping others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oriana House. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6