Oriana House Employee Reviews

Get to know the basics of community corrections work!
Cognitive Skills Specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioJuly 9, 2015
Everyday is an adventure. Each client and staff member has unique personalities and characteristics that must be considered as we work together towards effective social change. As a cognitive skills specialist the days include facilitation (both preparing and implementing) of related cognitive skills programming, computer documentation (results, logs, sanctions, and rewards), scheduling classes, team/staff meetings & training sessions, and interacting with clients. The latter is done by making ourselves available for assistance with homework, listening to concerns, and problem solving various situations that residents encounter as part of their experience in this Community-based Correctional Facility. Great starter job.
Pros
Taking part in social change, opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others, steady hours.
Cons
No paid breaks/lunches, limited upward movement, high-stress environment, no consistent pay increases.
Oriana House, Inc was a great experience to learn, grow and practice ones skills to contribute to a professional team of people in the criminal justic
Chemical Dependency Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 12, 2015
I enjoyed working with a well trained staff. Facilities that were safe and allowed a sense of security needed to focus on the job at hand. I worked within a team of criminal justice employees along with the treatment staff that always collaborated to ensure the best fit treatment for the clients/inmates. The communication was consistent with staff to ensure everyone was doing all they could to support that treatment rather for drugs/alcohol, mental health, employment, life skills or just being housed for the court.We had yearly trainings, weekly staff meetings, and daily supervision of duties and client complaints.
Pros
college reimbursement;good benefits;company free trainings;
Cons
sometimes the clashing of the two principles of criminal justice and substance abuse treatment
A fun workplace
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioJune 20, 2012
A days work was maintaining the safety and security of all pre- released inmates Federal and State.I administered medication, woke them up for work,made sure the inmates were accounted for at all times( while on weekend passes and work).
As for my co-workers they were attentive when needed.But overall they were nice.
I can't remember any hard parts of this job.
The most enjoyable part of this job, i would have to say everything.All of the residents made you feel safe.They were also easy to talk to when they were having problem. Also when you're called at home because a specific resident was having problems and was very cooperative and asked for you.When I arrived he cooperated.He stated he only wanted to speak with me because I understood him and what he was going through.That made me feel good about the type of work I put forward.
Pros
positivity
Cons
co-workers
It's always a new experience!
Resident Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 14, 2014
Everyday you will walk into a different situation. One day every client will be on their best behavior and the next day you might have to conduct CPR. The job can be enjoyable and it can also be stressful. Our staff are like family and they are always willing to help, if you ask. Nobody will judge you. The most enjoyable part of the job to me is hearing the stories of our clients life before being convicted and how they have changed. If anyone wants to put their foot in the door of Criminal Justice, Oriana House is a great place to begin.
Pros
training course, co- workers, benefits, management
Cons
decent pay, constantly alert, constant change
Good place to start; very difficult to advance
Chemical Dependency Counselor (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 21, 2012
The overall goal of the agency is a positive one, to reduce recidivism and help clients become productive members of society. While the organization as a whole is seemingly run well, each facility (there are over 15) has a completely different culture and tone. Overall, it is easy to get employment and needed experience; however, promotion and advancement opportunities are slim. There is a high turnover rate as the work is challenging, but if the compensation was more competitive, the turnover would not be as high. Again, each facility and department is difference Also, there has been a freeze in pay for more than 4 years.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor compensation, limited advancement
Great company with a great mission statement
Electronic Monitoring Technician (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 19, 2014
My typical day at work consists of monitoring clients currently on home incarceration. I then conduct then intake process that places new people on the home incarceration program. After this time, I then continue to monitor clients on the program while troubleshooting and answering questions that any clients may have. The management staff helps oversee the program and they assist whenever they may be called upon. My coworkers have excellent communication skills and will discuss issues with clients or work procedures with one another.
Pros
great working environment
Cons
understaffing.
Satisfactory
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 28, 2014
In my opinion, working as a resident supervisor is a place to begin your career path off. In this position you will obtain skills such as teamwork, how to work in stressful situations, etc. These skills are transferable in any career but I would not want to make a career from Oriana House.
Pros
speaking with clients
Cons
pay rate
Pleasing knowing your doing your part to reduce recidivism.
Employment Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 26, 2013
A typical work day for me include coming into work early, checking my email, teaching Employment Readiness Course to ex offenders to make sure they have the proper skills and knowledge they need to better their chances at gaining employment.
Passion Needed
Counselor Intern Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 7, 2013
Clients will motivate you daily, but management is combative and manipulative. Due to budget cuts, employees are overworked and turn over is routine.
Pros
opportunity to support others during their time of need
Cons
management, no lunch breaks
There is great demand for there education,but first you must get there attention
Resident Supervisor - Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 8, 2012
There seems to be a management problem. Some feel treatment should be the priority.While others disagree by saying correction
should there focus.
Working with recovering men.
Intern Counselor and Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron,OHJanuary 7, 2014
Holding daily meeting. Handed out clients medication. Took client's to AA meetings. Writing in client's charts. Worked well with management and co-workers.
Pros
enjoyed my job
review
Cognitive Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 27, 2014
I used to work a monday thru friday job. I'm looking for another job with similar perks. I liked my co-workers. I really enjoyed my job to the fullest. I love helping others.
Great place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 16, 2015
Case management among other duties as an intern. Was also responsible for reviewing all inmate forms and ensured that forms were turned in at appropriate time.
Unstable work environment
Resident Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 6, 2014
Sometimes Disorganized, Not very helpful to the clients. They seem to only look at the clients as money not as individuals that need help in their recovery.
a rewarding place to work
Employment Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 1, 2015
rewarding position which allowed for me to provide assistance to individuals whom are in a difficult time in their lives.
Pros
intangible rewards
Residental Supervisor
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 23, 2013
Working at this place was very fun and interesting. It's a good company to work for.