Orkin Employee Reviews

A Pest Control Company
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2016
Orkin is a pest control company with a focus on in-house financing options for most services.

Orkin teaches ALL employees the meaning of hard work.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity for promotion providing you do whatever it takes and are willing to re-locate.
Cons
Benefit package.
Poor work environment
Branch Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 23, 2016
My most enjoyable part of my job is my contact with customers and posting tickets.
I am not happy with the negative work environment.
Reputable company
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Typical day was eight to twelve hours of sales calls to individuals and companies. I was given leads by the home sales office and I made calls and set my own schedule.
Pros
Individual schedule set up for my own sucess.
Cons
Compensation was low.
Flexibility
Pest Control Route Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 15, 2016
Flexibility but you have to work 10-12 hrs per day for 6 days a week at least. If you don't and just stick to the legal 40 hrs a week you get written up. Given a route larger than can be done if you provide customer service and work regular 40 hrs a week. Always changing route among other things, sometimes multiple times a month. Very inefficient administrating in almost every aspect. Additionally they prefer you never take a lunch and don't provide all the safety equipment needed to perform job duties.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Everything else.
Poorly managed
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Moultrie, GAJanuary 12, 2016
Poorly managed by corporate. Most hours were not conducive to support a family and have a job at the same time. very unorganized and expectations were so high that most months could not be met.
almost 12 years
Pest Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 11, 2016
Service a 1700 square mile territory for just over 10 years. One on one with customers concerns and pest problems. Worked sometimes close to 60 hours a week on a salary commission basis.
Pros
Customer base
Cons
a lot of driving
Friendly atmosphere with excellent management
Customer Service Representative- Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 8, 2016
This was a seasonal position with not much room for advancement, but the people I worked for and with were terrific. The position had limited responsibilities, but I did them to my fullest potential.
Can be a good job.
Pest Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wayne, MIJanuary 7, 2016
If you like to work for a big company with job security, this is the place to be. You must be willing to work hard and work on Saturdays as well.Benefits are ok at best, but the people you meet are great to work with.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Your just an employee number
Structured
COMMERCIAL ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 2, 2016
In-home sales inspector, fun job. Good co-workers. Company completed jobs in a timely manner with excellent customer service.
Pros
Co. car
Cons
income
Growth And Compensation
Route Manager/ Field Tech (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 31, 2015
Orkin is a company that as an employee growth is near impossible. Promotion from within the company is stagnant and if you do pursue different positions within the company they send current employees through a more rigid process verse a person that highers in from the outside of the company. Orkin stresses to their Techs to show the value of the service to the customer back on their end they lack in showing the employees that they value them. Recently got a new branch manager that is leading the branch in the right direction but he is going to new more help to take the branch in the right direction that he is trying to take it. They do not reward employees for their hard work but only managment .
Pros
None present
Cons
Stagnant pay, tech is always at fault for everything
looks good from a distance
Sales -Inspector (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 23, 2015
This job looks good and job security is pretty good but they will find ways to short you in the paycheck. Don't give a 2 week notice if you are a commision sales person, they only pay commision on job done while you are there, so any jobs sold near end of your tenure will not be paid since it wasn't completed by your last day. Base commision on sliding scale where lowest level is barely a livable wage and if you have constant snow its tough to sell pest control. They exaggerate how much you will make in sales, since nobody makes any money until they work there for a while but they have a huge turnover in sales. 5 years is about all anybody last there except for the few who last 10 or more years
Pros
not much
Cons
micro manage from regional office loop-holes in pay structure to cut your check
Great place
Sales Specialist Call Center (Current Employee) –  Covington, GADecember 1, 2015
Amazing culture to work, great balance of instruction, encouragement and rewards. Great management and opportunity for advancement. This company has discovered how to find the balance between being a major company and keeping its family heart with employees and customers alike.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Have to work seasonal for a while before permanant
Long hours not enough pay
Route manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 30, 2015
Their training pay is only half of what what have you agree to be paid in their commission contract. The hours are very long and they can call any time and expect you to go out anywhere no where near your own route and work. You basically can not plan on doing anything with your personal life and they expect you to do 90 plus overdue billing phone calls. If you want a job that controls your life then this job is for you.
Benefits?
Cons
Completly unreliable schedule
found it a good place to work
bed bug certified tech (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, OHNovember 17, 2015
typical day when i was employed there involved long distances in driving between customers houses. My main job was eliminating bed bugs in both residential and commercial sites using chemical and steam
Pros
good pay and use of company truck 401K plan
Cons
n/a
advancement achieved goal good salary
Team Lead and Inside Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Covington, GANovember 4, 2015
I worked at Orkin for 6 years. I worked in several department great training very thorough. Management cared about employees.
Pros
good pay great incentives
Cons
call center open til midnight
Seasonal work
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLNovember 1, 2015
You go into the office and have a 20 minute phone meeting with the corporate guy usually a waist of time. I learned more about bugs than I care to say. My manager was a nice person but his boss was an idiot. Some of my co-workers were cool to be around and some were fake. You could see they didn't want you there. I guess they were scared of something. The hardest part of this job was the off season. When the termite season was over it was hard to make a consistent living. The most enjoyable part of this job was when I left to go home.
Pros
I learned about bugs
Cons
Coul not make real money there
Productive work environment w/ oportuniy to grow
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Covington, GAOctober 26, 2015
Ability to grow and develop personally. Great experience being able to work with different customers around the world. Not enough permanent positions available to seasonal employees. Overall a great work environment and enjoyed working with everyone of my colleagues.
Pros
Great pay and working oppurtunities
Cons
Not enough permanent positions available to seasonal employees
horrible
pest technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 26, 2015
Horrible job, go back to college or find another trade. Management is pathetic and incompetent. I've got my class A cdl and driving local and making 3 times more than I was at orkin with less bull. I'd rather be homeless on street before accepting employment with these idiots again. I've never been treated like such garbage in my life and was a waste of a complete year that I wish I had back from 05 to 06. It's the Orkin way or the highway...You are nothing but a puppet on a string!! It's all about the numbers and if you.don't conform, they will let the door hit you in the ...on way out. Very stressful job with management breathing on you constantly. You will work 7 days a week because sunday you still have to call customers to set for monday route. It was unimaginable!!! I was so stressed out and depressed. Oh yeah..every morning you had a little stupid meeting with management about how many stops ( 10 stops minimum and you have to get a hold of em all) you have and who is inside and outside jobs, or both. In conclusion, for being a human being and your soul, keep on keeping on. Life is too short to be under this kind of environment and stress. ...sometimes I wonder if those "people" at Baton Rouge location are even human. Too bad I feel vulnerable to their crippling disease plague of hierarchy and political bull for that long, as well as many others, indeed.
Pros
nothing
Cons
managemant with everything behind em!!!
Very comfortable job
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAOctober 23, 2015
When I was working for Orkin it was nice atmosphere and I learned about how to organize files. The mangement was very helpful and nice. The co-workers were very nice as well and the job was really not hard at all.
Professional Environment
Customer Service/Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAOctober 16, 2015
I am a very hard worker and a fast learner to any surroundings. I get along with all employees and customers no matter how bad the day is going.