Full time benefited position. Leads research and development of new exhibitions and special exhibit projects. Responsible for design and development of new exhibitions and special exhibit projects. Responsible for the research, development, testing and fabrication of OSC exhibits. Works with the Director of Visitor Experience and Manager of Exhibits throughout the design process to define goals and objectives and meet Orlando Science Center (OSC) expectations of high quality. Develops and maintains project budgets; works with the Director of Visitor Experience and Manager of Exhibits to determine timelines and staff requirements for each project. Monitors progress and delays with project schedules to ensure timely deadlines. Works with Senior Director of Visitor Experience to develop proposals for new galleries and exhibitions. Works in conjunction with Director of Visitor Experience to evaluate work to ensure that exhibitions meet stated objectives. Contributes to the creation and implementation of the strategic plan content. Works as a liaison to outside exhibit fabrication firms and design/development firms for production and fabrication, when necessary.
EDUCATION: Undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering, architecture, museum studies or other relevant area(s).
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five years experience in museum exhibition development, management and production. Experience leading teams of contributing partners. Research, writing and editing skills. Graphic design skills. Must show a considerable degree of initiative and have excellent interpersonal and networking skills.
- Be imaginative and creative
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Be positive and clear in promoting and explaining ideas
- Clearly and professionally present ideas and designs to partners and colleagues during meetings via face-to-face, phone, and email.
- AutoCAD or similar computer graphical design software.
- Demonstrate solid design sense through each project that includes space, measurement, form, volume, and color
- Take design direction and critiques from the partners and colleagues, implement to create a stronger, better end result.
- Operate effectively under time constraints and meet deadlines.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, both alone and in teams.
- Strong project management experience.
- Strong background in material selection and application.
- Be aware of relevant health and safety issues with design implementations. Adhere to ADA requirements when necessary
- A valid Florida driver’s license is required.
- Experience working in/with museums or in an informal education setting
- Ability to design in Software such as Vectorworks or Adobe Photoshop
- Must be detail oriented, able to prioritize tasks and able to work under pressure with
- Large format graphic design experience a plus
- Working knowledge of the Macintosh Operating System
- Background/experience in museum exhibit design, industrial design, or architectural
- Past experience with fabrication techniques with metal, wood and plastics
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand for long periods and be able to lift 30 lbs.
Orlando Science Center is one of America’s top hands-on science centers where learning is always fun.
Located in Orlando, Florida,...