Orlando Sentinel Employee Reviews

Overworked and underpaid
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 7, 2016
Other than managers, support staff is overworked and underpaid. No raises have been given for over 7 years. Many people have left with severance packages & the work has not been reduced. Co-workers are congenial. Management tends to show favoritism.
Pros
Free newspaper
Cons
No raises, little recognition
Amazing place to work
Network engineer/desktop engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 5, 2016
Always challenged to learn and grow
Management is too rigid
Co-workers are supportave
But they couldn't acommodate whrn I had health problems to let me move my shift an hour earlier. Told me I had to work the schedule or find another job.
Fun place to work at if you like night jobs
NEWSPAPER DELIVERY MAN (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 30, 2015
it is a different type of job due to the fact that its during night, not only do you get to enjoy the peacefulness and quietness of the night you can also deliver your newspapers without any inconveniences .
I learned a lot of new skills that pertained to working with your coworkers and catering to the costumers. A typical day at work would be to go in the warehouse and collect your paper bundles then put them in bags properly then go deliver them. The hardest part of the job was staying up through out the night but I got use to it fairly quickly . The most enjoyable part of the job for me honestly was flinging newspapers out of the windows of the car
Pros
Free Food on holidays
Cons
N/A
It has been a good place to work with alot of new innovations
Senior Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando FlaJuly 28, 2015
Preparation always started the day with my goals for each account wheather in person or meetings with other departments on how to achive both our goals
Great place to work!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 23, 2014
One of the best places I have worked. This is where I had the very best Manager in my working career. Always fair and caring and willing to bridge the gap between employees when there was any difficulties.
Good working environment and benefits. Lots of perks and always something fun going on. They were great about employee recognition and the training was always helping to develop your skill sets.
Pros
great work environment, wonderful co workers, great benefits
Cons
slow advancement
Had no choice
Paper Route (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 4, 2014
It was an overall nice place to work, i rather enjoyed the fast paced job. Everynight was different something always happened and was very exciting. But then there would be nights the guys at the warehouse would short us papers and made our schedule get messed up. But so on an so forth my supervisor got a different job so i'm unemployed.
Pros
fun and active.
Cons
never a night off
Exhausting
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Tavares, FLJuly 21, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of me going into work and waiting on the papers to arrive. I would then gather my papers, put them together, and then bag them. Once I had them loaded into my truck I would check my customers list to see if there were any updates and would make changes in my book if needed. After this was all complete I would head out to start delivering. I learned how to manage my time better working at this job. You had deadlines to meet and had to work in a timely manner to get papers bagged and delivered on time. Co-workers were amazing and we all got along. The hardest part of this job was keeping up with vehicle maintenance.
Cons
seven nights a week with no holidays
First journalism job; learned so much from experienced people.
Newsroom research/sports write (Former Employee) –  Orlando, flaMay 20, 2013
Spent 14 years working in the newsroom of one of the nation's top newspapers at the time. Started out as a clerk, promoted to archivist and then researcher. Also filled in as a sports writer - covering prep, collegiate and professional athletes and teams. Was a syndicated columnist covering professional wrestling for my final four years with the paper.
Pros
great place to learn; covered the community i grew up in.
Cons
not much room for advancement. company hit by financial problems during last five years.
Industry Challenges
ADVERTISING SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2013
Managed and coached a large advertising sales team. Learned a great deal about all aspects of advertising and marketing solutions including print, digital, mobile and social media. Some challenges with upper management turnover due to parent company bankruptcy. Hardest part of the job was dealing with bankruptcy concerns. Best part of the job was working with fantastic people.
Productive and fast pace job
Input Operator/Typist, Legal Advertising Rep (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 21, 2013
Being a fast typist with a speed of 90 wpm when I was hired, i held the position of Input Typist, Production Typist and Legal Advertising Representative. All data that are input into the computer cannot have any errors. My typical day at work is to type and proofread at the same time. Management are very helpful and always help the staff. Every co-workers are fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is to have full concentration until an article or a column is completed. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see your work on the newspaper for the next day without any error.
Pros
good employee benefits and always have free lunch or parties for special occassion
Cons
with the high technology now, less employees are needed to do the job.
Great Company
Shipping ang Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 29, 2014
Overall Orlando Sentinel is a great company, but I learned from my co worker the company was way better in the past than it 's today. The financial crisis that hit the country in 2008 affected the company and forced it to cut some benefits it used to offer to their employees.
Pros
$200 emplyee referral, excellent benefit, fitnes onsite
Cons
short break and too much beaurocracy
Former employee
Customer service rep sales (Former Employee) –  Orlando flFebruary 9, 2013
They are inconsiderate if u not one of their top sales persons they could care less. The supervisor and assistant supervisor for the A.M shift is very rude. But the leads are friendly and nice. When u first get hired they make it seems as if they care which they really don't and they don't tell u that u have to meet sale goals and if not they fire you. Don't recommend any one to work for them .
Pleasing work environment
Sales agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 14, 2012
It was a fun and friendly place to work. It did have its short comings as far as compensation, because it was soley comission vs. hourly. I like going into to work because the people were pleasent, I enjoyed making my calls and setting customers up with their subscriptions. I did feel pressure sometimes when I wasn't meeting my goals but my manager always led me through the slopes!
Orlando Slantinel
Digital Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 28, 2015
I really do not know what to put here because I honestly have nothing positive nor negative to say about this organization. The know what they are doing when it comes to print but when it comes to digital they really do not have a clue.
Publishing industry .. ungoing challenging times.
Regional Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 11, 2015
Publishing and communications opperations. Great product but challenging times for the print media. Was downsized as position was eliminated.
fun place to work
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 18, 2014
worker four hour shift learned great customer service management was very supportive coworkers very friendly hardest part irate customer best of all able to satisfy and help most customer.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
healthcare
its a great place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 27, 2014
I come in bag my paper get paper work .and my co-work are great people . I enjoy being out there by myself.and being my owen boss management is very hepful .they have great break room.and it a fun place to work
Pros
being your owen boss
Cons
deliving in the rain
Professional yet informal work environment
Teleservices Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 10, 2014
Customer service telephone courtesy a must & yet an ability to engage your customer in an easy yet persuasive matter required.
Nice place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLMay 21, 2013
I like to work on that place . I like the hours to work vs. the salary.
The managment are fear and frendly .
Pros
perfect equedual
Customer Service
Accounting Specialist-Customer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 30, 2012
I was in the customer service department, then fulltime in the accounting department. See resume.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orlando Sentinel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8