Orlando Sentinel Employee Reviews

Sentinel is past its time. Running an antiquated business on a shoe string budget.
Multimedia Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 29, 2017
While I was employed at the sentinel, sales management was unrealistic, not helpful and clearly positioning the company to be sold. There was little care or consideration given to employees and our needs. Distribution centers were closed, marketing and sales budgets were slashed. While sales goals were increased, Marketing and sales jobs were eliminated, the reason I left. All to make the company look attractive, on paper, to a potential buyer. Since the company has been sold things may have changed a little but as long as management stays in place the Orlando Sentinel will continue to slowly lose money, market share and relevance. BTW.... the editor is pretty good, I'm referring to sales and marketing management.
Pros
OS is the only major newspaper in the area.
Cons
Sales management, marketing strategy and treatment of employees.
Easy and Fun place to work
Retail (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 26, 2017
Working at Orlando sentinel was an easy job. You would always work with a partner so that would make time go by faster and it was a way to be safe. The manager was really nice and would always check up on us.
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 22, 2017
I enjoy building a relationship and understanding our senior citizens and helping them with the exact paper they wanted.........................................
Pros
Hourly and commission and great people to work with
Cons
Good opportunity to gain experience
Correspondent (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 28, 2017
As a correspondent, I worked with different editors depending on what story I was assigned. The Orlando Sentinel allowed me to gain valuable experience. The editors taught me how to clean up my copy and become a better reporter.
Fast paced, drive and drop your newspaper.
Indépendant Contractor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 19, 2017
Driving, running, throwing, reading your route. how to read and drive at the same time. management was knowledgeable. awesome not racial. reading and driving. getting the job done within 2 hours, going home.
Pros
The job takes as long as you make it.
Cons
You will need to do a lot of maintaining on your vehicle.
Working for a multimedia company was fantastic.
Circulation Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 10, 2017
Working for a multimedia company had many perks and endless opportunities, my position allowed me access to many offices there that the general employee couldn't.
Shutting down production facility
electrical/mechanical tech (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 15, 2017
This should have been a good company. But the printing business is a dying industry. Work loads were acceptable without a lot of pressure. Immediate management was easy to work for and with, upper management was never around and untrustworthy.
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
few pay raises
Freelancer
Sports Writing Correspondent (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 6, 2017
I provided freelance work for the Orlando Sentinel. Due to my role with them, I am choosing to not review them at this time. I thank you for understanding.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 20, 2017
The problem with this company
Is that there's no benefits
& its commission only for sub contractors sales representatives.
At this stage in life we need benefits
For the future.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No work no pay
Great Company
Help Desk/Application Support (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 30, 2016
Great company, not any room for advancement. Good managers, liked the people i worked with. Newspaper publishing is an art of the past
Benefits
Cons
No advancement
Una buena exp
Sorter (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 29, 2016
Es un trabajo divertido pero a la misma ves extristo pero aprende de nuevas experiencias cuando te lo permiten
Pros
Pero los beneficios son bajo
Cons
Tiene tu buenos descanso
Fun loving place to work
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLNovember 21, 2016
I loved this job. The only complaint I have is when our district manager was changed then the new one did not care about others feeling or family. Wish the best for the company
Pros
Great place to work for
Cons
No complaint but the new district manager
Overworked and underpaid
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 7, 2016
Other than managers, support staff is overworked and underpaid. No raises have been given for over 7 years. Many people have left with severance packages & the work has not been reduced. Co-workers are congenial. Management tends to show favoritism.
Pros
Free newspaper
Cons
No raises, little recognition
Amazing place to work
Network engineer/desktop engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 5, 2016
Always challenged to learn and grow
Management is too rigid
Co-workers are supportave
But they couldn't acommodate whrn I had health problems to let me move my shift an hour earlier. Told me I had to work the schedule or find another job.
fun, competitive
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 2, 2016
A work day here consists of going door to door and getting people to subscribe to a trial of the newspaper. I learned how to use different tools of communication and information to sell the product.
Fun place to work at if you like night jobs
NEWSPAPER DELIVERY MAN (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 30, 2015
it is a different type of job due to the fact that its during night, not only do you get to enjoy the peacefulness and quietness of the night you can also deliver your newspapers without any inconveniences .
I learned a lot of new skills that pertained to working with your coworkers and catering to the costumers. A typical day at work would be to go in the warehouse and collect your paper bundles then put them in bags properly then go deliver them. The hardest part of the job was staying up through out the night but I got use to it fairly quickly . The most enjoyable part of the job for me honestly was flinging newspapers out of the windows of the car
Pros
Free Food on holidays
Cons
N/a
It has been a good place to work with alot of new innovations
Senior Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando FlaJuly 28, 2015
Preparation always started the day with my goals for each account wheather in person or meetings with other departments on how to achive both our goals
Publishing industry .. ungoing challenging times.
Regional Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 11, 2015
Publishing and communications opperations. Great product but challenging times for the print media. Was downsized as position was eliminated.
This Place is Death Trap
Digital Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 29, 2015
I worked in Digital Sales and Marketing Side at Orlando Sentinel or 435 Digital - Tribune Publishing.

My Manager had Harrasment Charge against them. All members of team - sent to HR (individual meeting) to explain the working environment. Abusive, Unprofessional, Bullying style of management.

For example, if a worker turns in a report that is not adequate and his boss criticizes him harshly rather than offering constructive advice, the worker might feel bullied. Other examples of bullying include making threats, personal insults, giving preferential treatment to certain subordinates, micromanagement and unreasonable expectations.

In addition: Bullying can reduce employee morale and may even cause certain employees to develop anxiety or depression. Workers with low morale tend to be less productive and less loyal to their employers, which can lead to a higher rate of absenteeism and turnover. High turnover rates can be costly for employers because it is expensive to hire and train new employees

“How to Bust the Office Bully,” they recommend that targets figure out a rational way to tell their stories to colleagues, bosses or human resources while managing their emotions.

But if you feel like your company supports this kind of negative behavior, your best option just might be to quit.

“It’s not worth it,” “to put your health at risk.”

Outcome : Manager is still there and they are turning over sales
people.
Pros
They treat everyone like inside sales person
Cons
Office Bully Management Style Approved by Upper Management
Orlando Slantinel
Digital Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 28, 2015
I really do not know what to put here because I honestly have nothing positive nor negative to say about this organization. The know what they are doing when it comes to print but when it comes to digital they really do not have a clue.