Orscheln Farm and Home Employee Reviews in United States

Easy Not hard
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INFebruary 2, 2016
I would show up and clock in and I would have a sheet of the things I had to get done for that shift. My coworkers were very helpful and helped me learn how to treat customers.
Great Place to work!
key holder (Current Employee) –  Seymour, INDecember 30, 2015
I love working at Orscheln Farm and Home. It's right up my alley. I'm a people person, and I work with different customers everyday. I love livestock, so selling products in a farm store is my cup of tea. From this job, I've learned many useful skills that will help me advance in future jobs. We always had new people coming and going, so it was hard to create relationships with my coworkers. However, those of us that have been there for a long period of time work great together. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help the customer. I strive to put a smile on everyone's face during their time in my store.
Excellent, Flexible scheduling
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 23, 2015
A large amount of daily planning and organization. Definitely the type of job which will keep you moving all day long. Customers (primarily rural) are generally friendly and open to being helped/helping.
.................
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, MOOctober 15, 2015
-great training program
-lots of room for advancement
-flexible and open schedule
-supportive management
-sometimes very high stress
-great coworkers
-good pay (for store managers)
Hard work, but great people to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Republic, MOOctober 13, 2015
Hard work and many responsibilities. Very good management that actually cares about their employees. Typical day would be unloading trucks, doing freight, making end caps, building stack outs, organizing the feed room, and doing load outs. You will learn organization skills, customer service skills, being patient, animal medicine, animal feed, how to assemble coops, dog houses, etc. Hardest part of the job would be customer service. At Orscheln we have a little bit of everything. We have a hardware section, plumbing section, automotive section, lawn and garden section, tools section, heating section, pet supply section, and a farm supply section. There are many different things you will have to learn about to know what the customer is looking for.
Pros
Learning about so many different things
Cons
Not very good pay or benefits
Administrative Assistant - Orscheln Farm/Home
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moberly, MOOctober 4, 2015
Enjoyed this position immensely with vast responsibilities. Many opportunities to learn and grow. Used knowledge obtained while going to MACC. Busy, productive days with fun and cooperative fellow employees and other staff. Management dedicated to advancement of company, therefore more success for employees. Challenges included various Excel projects. Enjoyed working closely with Director.
Workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Radcliff, KYSeptember 29, 2015
Working for this company has taught me a lot about farm and animals. This store is just more than farm and animals...clothes, hardware, garden, chickens and ducks. I love working there, came to work everyday.
It was a nice place to work
cashier/sales assiocate (Former Employee) –  jonesboro, arSeptember 1, 2015
I really loved working there but apparently the management didn't like me as well as I liked my job. I really enjoyed working with most of the people that I worked with and made a lot of friends while I was there and I loved the job that I was doing as I was there but the manager and I didn't exactly see eye to eye. He liked to pick favorites and from what I hear from the people I used to work with the ones he picked as his favorites are still there while the rest of us have been let go.
Pros
Fun atmoshpere, worked with people my own age
Cons
bad management
Reliable company with great people but no real opportunities to move up the ladder.
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INAugust 29, 2015
Over all Orscheln is a very good place to work and the people are easy to get along with. However there are no real opportunities for me to move up in position.
Pros
15 percent discount
Cons
uncomfortable working conditions
Fun workplace with lots of great learning experiences
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Holdrege, NEAugust 8, 2015
While managing the register and helping greet all customers who enter, re-stocking all merchandise in the front area of the store and dusting are expected of every cashier. At the end of the night, cleaning bathrooms, sweeping the entire store, trash, and light duties are assigned. Sometimes being assigned counting drawers and the end of the day paperwork. Working retail has not only taught me to better understand people and communication skills, but helped me tackle it in a professional matter. Management at Orscheln has been great to me and were very flexible with my hours through out high school. My management and co-workers have become more like a family through out the years and I believe that helps add to the productiveness of the workers. The areas of most difficulty would probably be dealing with difficult customers, but in the end, getting to know the usual customers on a first name basis makes it all worth it.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
One break daily
Retail store with relaxed atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Perry, IAJuly 20, 2015
This is a retail job with plenty to do. The work is not hard to do. The work includes putting away freight , keep shelves stocked, and prices up to date. There is no reason for anyone to be standing around.
Pros
Great store manager
Cons
only part-time work, no health benefits
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, INJune 21, 2015
I wold have to say that my time with Orschlen Farm and Home has been rewarding. The customers are the best. The company as a whole is a blend of the old and the new.
.....
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEMay 25, 2015
Much traveling involved with this position. Very little time for family or home life. Management very disconnected. Large employee turnover made most stores unable to function properly and forced me to live on the road for 90% of my time there.
Many lessons learned.
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garden City, KSJanuary 14, 2015
My time here taught me a lot about who I am and who I am not. My strengths and what I still need to work on. One day I hope to own a business of my own and I intend to apply this information.
Agricultural learning always available and comfortable environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Louisburg, KSSeptember 17, 2014
Main duties as a cashier were: working the register, helping customers with questions and problems, stocking products while checking for expiration dates or damaged packages, calling customers and informing them of their received orders, updating labels and relabeling closeout inventory items. I have learned how to properly handle irritated customers, proper inventory receiving, how to properly dicard damaged and non-sellable items, and how to advertise or display products to quickly sell. Although my position was only a cashier, whenever the managers were not present or dealing with another customer, I was the first cashier other cashiers directed questions or customers to. The hardest part was that most of the time the managers were not very prompt in answering questions or handling situations so I would do my best to get things done in a more timely fashion to resolve the tasks at hand. Although that was hard at times when I had limited control to manager duties, the most enjoyable part was interacting with customers and informing them of certain products we offered and pointing them in the right direction for their needs. I also enjoyed learning about individual products or the companies of the products we carried.
Poor managment of people to work with at company
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KansasJune 6, 2014
A typical day at Orschelns was arriving at the store in the morning to open as cashier, sometimes arriving where store employees allowed people to shop in the store before opening hours, low employee moral, complaining of taking care of the animals and cleaning them, no customer service when needing a carry out for a customer, items hung unsafely, employees bullying and intimidating you to not say anything of a illegal being employed at the store yet they told customers, no communication, no breaks, no one covering shift and asking to come back on lunch early when never gotten a break and barely a lunch, I gave great customer service and have a excellent history of giving quality customer service and no training, osha violations, this was a typical day on the job--I learned that caring for a co-worker and related laws are more important than money as well as a lesson for life, that management style at Orschelns with the people that I worked with are such that they did not care at all about the business, safety standards, and employee relations as well as me as a new employee at all. My co-workers got away with alot and there was no discipline at all, and alot of times management was not around at all, running the cash register and asking for help when people standing there are eating a donut and choosing to do that over helping a customer that and no teamwork, no communication at all was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I seen people whom I knew at my other job and reconnected with them and the customers were nicer to me than  more... the employees of Orschelns. This really surprised me knowing that these were older people however, the more I worked there the more that I realized that these people wanted to disregard the law and safety of other employees and such. There was racial discrimination among the employees and racial remarks regarding the illegal worker, the manager mentioned to me in hiring that the store reported a loss prevention of 128,000 dollars last year and they cant account for it so how is this my problem when workplace violations and disregard for safety and such are going on in the workplace? No, lockers, no breakroom, no privacy, at all. You take a break of lunch in the managers office which is a closet of junk! Told manager of the problems and she did not do anything siting that she was retiring next year so what happened to the store was not her problem and she then told me of her health. The most enjoyable part of the job knowing that people told me to leave the job and didnt realize how the place still stayed in business and gave me great customer services reviews!!! And told me I made a difference over there!  less
Pros
job and hours and schedule fit my lifestyle.
Cons
no breaks, violations, no customer service, no training, no teamwork, intimidation by other employees and management allowing unlawful workplace violations, unsafe workplace area.
Enjoyable Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Duncan, OKMay 9, 2014
Great place to work, decent pay for just a job, they do fair evaluations and raises, also my co workers were outstanding!
Pros
decent pay, flexible hours
Cons
not always enough help
Most of the co workers where great people to work with.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAApril 21, 2014
The manager I had when I worked there was very unorganized with anything that he did. It was very hard to advance in the job because the manager kept hiring people for the position that I wanted. The only good part about this job was meeting the customers everyday and getting to work with my co workers. I worked way to many hours for not enough pay. At one point in time worked over 2 weeks without a day off.
Pros
friendly co workers and customers
Cons
managment and not enough days off
Productive Work Place
Department Head Receiving (Current Employee) –  Colby,KSFebruary 24, 2014
I enjoy the people that I work with. It is a good environment.
A productive day
Sales Associate/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Radcliff, KYJanuary 19, 2014
Its a great job. Just needing more hours, I don't receive that many hours that can benefit me. I honestly have great days at Orscheln. My co workers are some times nice.