Orscheln Farm and Home Employee Reviews

High school drama
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, OKApril 3, 2017
There is no organization and very poor management. I felt like I was back in high school with all the drama and favoritism is an issue in store and in the corporate office.
The corporate office is a joke. They don't know what they are doing half the time.
Good luck to you if you decide to jump down this rabbit hole.
A good beginner job.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, INMarch 23, 2017
Meet a lot of great customers
Management unstable
Lack of hours in winter
Crazy scheduling
Power imbalances
You stay busy
A good place to start out...
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad management, unsteady schedule
This is a great place to work with a friendly atmosphere and great customers.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Guthrie Center, IAMarch 22, 2017
I love this store. I shop here all of the time. If they don't have it they will try to get it for you. It's a fun upbeat place to work. With alot of moving stuff around and stocking shelves.
Pros
Willing to work your schedule around for school activities
Cons
Worked threw many breaks because short handed
What to say
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, KSMarch 21, 2017
I usually try to stay pretty upbeat so I'm not sure exactly what to say. On a whole I'm usually pretty happy at work. I have great coworkers and my bosses work hard to accommidate my being a single mother.
Pros
Family oriented, Allow me to take off for my kid, Strong support system
Cons
Pay is not great, Hours get cut during the months of Jan through April
I was a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, MO 63090March 16, 2017
I was a cashier. I would ring up sales and return items. I answered the phones and also stocked shelves. I really enjoyed the customers and the management.
Very nice place to work and the people who you work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  MissouriMarch 10, 2017
Would work for them again if I had the opportunity. Friendly atmosphere, appreciated your hard work, but you don't get any benefits with any of these jobs.
orschland
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pratt, KSFebruary 21, 2017
This location was not a good place at all. You get only about fifteen hours a week if you are lucky. The key holder which is right below the managers and above you will yell cuss and scream at you in front of customers, and the management will do nothing about it. They have a really high turn over rate. The best part is the one hour break because you can leave for an hour.
the company has no direction in which they are going, they change weekly on there plan
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  missouriFebruary 14, 2017
Home office is very unorganized, the stores are poorly informed with the plans of the company and how they plan to get there. Rules of which are in place to follow are getting changed weekly, making it hard to effectively run the store.
Cons
No set schedule, not set lunches, not guranteed time to take your vacation days or personal days even when they are earned.
Not a secure place to work!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 14, 2017
At first this seemed like the best company to work for. Then in the last year or so upper management at corporate changed. Then things got bad. Payroll cut to the bare bones. Not enough hours to get required things completed and wait on customers.

Corporate just stopped caring about the employees! Benefits are terrible! Pay not bad but alot is expected. Alot of traveling to other stores, which wouldn't be bad if they let you use hours to replace yourself.

I just wouldn't recommend this place at all.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No loyalty to employees
Great staff and manament
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Nowata, OKFebruary 13, 2017
I really enjoy the staff i work with. We are very close and we are all from the same small town so we all already know eachother. My new lead mamager is from a town a couple hours away but fits in perfectly with us. Weall help eachother n everyway we can in most all aspects of our indivual jobs. Working at Orcshlens you may have a Department title, but you are also required to work throuh out the store whether with assoitaites or customers witch is a great thing to round us out throughout the compay.
Pros
great staff, flexible hours
Cons
working nights & weekends, slow at pay raises
Wonderful Company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Falls City, NEDecember 17, 2016
I absolutely loved working for Hobby Lobby. I worked in several different retail stores, in several different locations. Management were always kind and understanding. You weren't exhausted after work. Other employees were always very kind. Loved the environment all around.
Typical Day
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boonville, MODecember 9, 2016
A typical day at Orscheln's as a cashier would be greeting customers through out the day, asking if they needed help with anything, check out customers, and do any other assistance with customers or other co- workers.
Pros
Management was very good
Cons
Short breaks
Overall in workplace
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canton, MONovember 16, 2016
I truly enjoyed my time with the company due to the customers that came in and my co-workers being amazing people. Being able to work in a rural community that I grew up in was helpful since I was able to relate to the customers that visited the store.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short breaks
Fun times
Cashier\ Stocker (Former Employee) –  Crete, NEOctober 28, 2016
Loved working there the gave me all the hours I need up until I got pregnant. My favorite parts of working there were chick days peanut days and black Friday. I worked every holiday and had fun doing it. Got to decorate on the holidays and the people were awesome at noticing.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Low pay
Keeps you on your toes, always has something for you to do.
Tire Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEOctober 27, 2016
A typical day at work involved being at work on time to get things set up and ready for the day to begin.
I learned much including how to change and patch tires, what brands of tire are best and last the longest. I also was able to earn my forklift operators certification.
Management was... ok, for the most part they trusted employees to do their job and always kept you busy. However, they had a problem with getting people hired, which made us short staffed and pressed for work. The co-workers that we did have made the job fun and enjoyable and all of us did what we do best.
The hardest part of the job was having to deal with storage. We didn't have enough to make proper room for me to do my job in the tire shop, to which, half of it had become a secondary storage unit.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work hard, in my own work space.
Pros
Good advancement rate, will teach you new things.
Cons
Lack of storage, distribution issues
Lead in Clothing Department
Lead in Clothing Department (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, KSOctober 26, 2016
A typically day at work would be performing the duties of organizing the clothing department, pricing the clothing, and displaying the clothing in a creative way.
Loved it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INOctober 5, 2016
I loved working there it was a great place to work and meet all kinds of new people. I made great friends there. I wish they weren't closing love the environment
Pros
Family feeling
Cons
No breaks
Store managers/employees are great
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 26, 2016
When working for this company you really get the feeling you are not cared about as an employee from corporate. When something happens all they do is blame the employees and never think the customer is wrong. They give the store way to much inventory and then complain when the store is too crammed. The store manager at the Lawrence location is great and the employees are great also.
Pros
knowledge of product
Cons
pay, upper management
fun and hard working
Department Head (Current Employee) –  Waynesville, MOFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work is almost impossible to pen down, depending on the hours i've been scheduled to work for that day I could be running the cash register, working to unload freight. Stocking feed on the shelves, or doing miscellaneous chores that need to be done around the store.

I've learned how to deal with the public and unhappy customers. I also learned lots of retail protocol and procedures I've learned to run the cash register.

There is a high turnover rate of employees, but the employees that have been employed for a while are hard working and proactive.

The hardest part of the job is the erratic hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job is get to help customers with my knowledge of agriculture.
Pros
being able to work with products I am familiar with, helping customers.
Cons
low pay, erratic hours.
Easy Not hard
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INFebruary 2, 2016
I would show up and clock in and I would have a sheet of the things I had to get done for that shift. My coworkers were very helpful and helped me learn how to treat customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orscheln Farm and Home. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8