OrthoCarolina Employee Reviews

Fast paced, excellent benefits, employees treated fairly, teamwork encouraged.
Patient Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCDecember 4, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at OrthoCarolina. Employees were treated fairly. Although it was an extremely fast paced office, most employees were more than willing to help and support one another. The training was excellent, although new employees were required to travel to Charlotte, which is two hours from the Laurinburg location. I had the opportunity to learn various new software programs.
Job Work/Life balance
Staff Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28207November 21, 2017
An orthopedic group can be a very stressful and busy place to work, however, OrthoCarolina strived to make the balance work better than most places I have been employed with.
Doesn’t care about their employees
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 9, 2017
They don’t compensate their employees the way they should even when the management and doctors see you busting your butt for them. They are not allowed to give more than a .03% raise per year which equals to about $0.40/year. 3 years working there and the the total amount more of what I’m making now vs 3 years ago is $1.29!!! Certified Medical Assistants do not get the recognition or compensation they deserve for ALL they do for the doctors.
Very productive and educational workplace where the specialty physicians at the clinic trained x-ray technologists in various positioning techniques.
Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 22, 2017
A typical workday at OrthoCarolina consisted of achieving high quality radiographic images based on positions that may have been taught and are required by the specialty physician. Management at this facility encouraged any training needed to obtain images required by physicians. The hardest part of the job was obtaining certain positions without causing more pain to the patient. The most enjoyable part is obtaining what is needed by physician without inflicting more pain on patient.
Pros
Learning more about obtaining images needed for particular body part, and learning different ways to obtain what is needed
Cons
Focusing on only one body part such as spine, hand, or foot and ankle
General
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 19, 2017
A typical day could go smoothly or if the MD was delayed in the OR be scrambling to make sure the were patients roomed and ready to be seen as soon as the MD hit the office. We always kept the patients informed of any delays and offered to reschedule if they choose.
I enjoyed training as a cast tech, my instructor was impeccable in her ability to share her knowledge and skill with me.
hardest part of the job was dealing with "drug seekers", wanting pain medication.
What I love the best are the patients and their families and the comfort I brought in to the office visit.
Pros
Great learding expirence
Cons
No designated Nurse Coordinator, only non-medical "office" manager
They love the communicty that they serve
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 31, 2017
I was impressed with what OC did for the community. There was always donations or raising money for different groups. OC also pays you 8 hours a year to volunteer.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 28, 2017
Great providers to work with, fast paced, friendly co workers! Great pay and benefits! Co workers work as a team! Training here is exceptional and less stressful!!
Pros
Great pay, hour lunch
Cons
No advancement unless you switch roles.
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 22, 2017
Within 2 years I reported to 3 managers. One who checked out mentally. The 2nd who tried to write me up for something I was never required to do. The 3rd one was incompetent and not even qualified for the position. The position itself as a medical assistant, was the easiest I've had thus far in my career. I loved the P.A. I worked with, but that was it. I started out in the companies float pool and dispersed from there. It's bad when your manager thinks they don't have to respect you and talk to you as they please. Even to the point of never speaking to you just barking orders and micromanaging.
Pros
The people I worked with
Cons
Late days, sometimes minimal lunches, management
If you do, SAY NO to being a Patient Services Coordinator
Patient Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 11, 2017
This is the most ridiculously disorganized hot mess I have encountered. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing, which is confusing considering how many different hands they have in everything. Everything is way more complicated than it needs to be, which frustrates the patients and the staff but the patient's at least get to take it out on you since you are the only ones they can get ahold of. And believe me when I tell you, just because you are hired to be a PSC in a particular office, that does not mean you just work for that office and just answer their phones. You basically work for a poorly run, short staffed call center. Except unlike a call center where you just answer phones. They also want you to call hundreds of people a week for referrals and only give you 48 hrs from the time you get it to call them 3 times. You also have to call the 50 patients that got bumped from the doctor's schedule if he decides to go fishing on Friday. But let's not forget that there are only two of you who are responsible for answering "your" incoming calls. So while you are calling your half, that leaves your partner to answer back to back calls that are definitely going over 2 minutes which means the ones that they missed while on the phone with someone else are rerouted to the overflow queue and are then counted against your stats. This also happens if one of you are out and someone from the actual "call center" has to "help" your office answer calls or if the Physical Therapy scheduler is out, one of your two people has to answer those phones as well, leaving you to miss  more... the ones you are actually "graded" on. Your calls are also recorded for quality assurance even though they never gave you an actual guideline or script before they started doing it.They did mention they would start doing it in the only staff meeting we have had in like 2 years. You are supposed to keep your calls under 2 minutes but are not allowed to transfer a patient to the actual office they are requesting so you then have to use a spreadsheet with physician and physician assistant scheduling preferences which may or may not even be updated, to fumble around some other office's schedule while trying to field questions about some place you've never been to, again, while staying under 2 minutes.
I came to OrthoCarolina because it was a smaller company than the huge corporation that I was used to. I thought they would care about their employees, be more organized with smaller staff and that there would be better benefits. But the doctor's I work with, barely acknowledge we exist, everyone is so busy trying to tattle on each other or get a patient off their phone by foisting off on you, whether you can even help them or not, no one helps anyone. The insurance is terrible, I can't wait for this to go on my credit report, because I definitely can't afford my doctor's visits. Also, please never email anyone to ask a question. They will attach 5 other people to it and none of them will have an answer and if they do, you'll find out it was wrong when you get an email blaming you for a mistake you made. Save every email you are sent about changes in policy or guidelines.
Luckily my doctor just gave me something for anxiety to get me through the day until I get out of here.
Pros
Pto, sometimes drug reps bring the office free food, hour long lunch break, sometimes there are raffles for sports tickets
Cons
Disorganized, lack of incentives, not enough pay, awful training, inconsistency
Productive and fun work place
Business Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 10, 2017
I enjoyed working at OrthoCarolina. Great atmosphere, great training, room for growth. No weekends and the pay is great. I also had a very nice supervisor and great coworkers.
Dynamic orthopedic enviroment
Lead Post-Surgical Sales (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 25, 2017
A typical day is providing equipment needs for 100+ patients. The workplace culture is dynamic because of the changing healthcare industry. We are always working to stay ahead of the curve.
Pros
Benefits they provide and helping patients
Cons
short breaks
Exciting place to work.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 22, 2017
Great place to work if you love people and being challenged. You have many opportunities to learn and grow. Downside would be not a lot of advancement opportunities available.
Pros
Day shift, no holidays.
Cons
Not a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Orthocarolina
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2017
The office's are extremely busy and require a lot of focus from employees. The company treats employees very well and there is lots of room to advance in the company. The compensation could be better.
Great work environment.
O and P Manager/ Durable Medical Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 9, 2017
This is where I started my medical history. I was the Office manager and retail manager for Orthocarolina's division that did post surgical care. The experience that I gained was invaluable and would not trade it for the world.
Taking Care of the American People
Medical Assisting Extern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 3, 2017
It's very fast pace, face to face care with patients, documentation is involved, patient education, removal of sutures, staples, applying wet to dry dressing. But most important putting a smile of your patient face with the best patient care you can give on a daily basics.
Provides excellent patient care
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJanuary 29, 2017
I have enjoyed my job and the opportunity to interact with patients.
Wonderful doctors to work with and assist with minor procedures.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No chance for advancement
Patient focused
Pre Certification Specialist Utilization (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 22, 2017
Growing company. Patient focused. Physicians are top recommended surgeons in the world. Satisfied with protocols for the complete care of patients. Community service/ care is very important.
Nightmare
Patient services specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 10, 2017
Not at all what is advertised for the patient or employee in my opinion. You are expected to herd patients as if they are animals, yet give elite customer service. Benefits are not beneficial in the least. If you have kids, you might as well look forward to finding someone to watch them when they are sick or finding another job. Political influence is strong. You better know somebody if you're looking to climb the latter. There are many, many gray areas regarding everything in this practice including policies and procedures as well as doctor preferences. Everything is circumstantial. That being said, it is very easy to get into a "damned if you do, damned if you dont" situation. While it is a true statement these doctors have the best expertise of their specialty, the sad part is, in my opinion, you are not valued as an employee or patient. It's all about the almighty dollar it seems.
Pros
Getting a paycheck. A sad one, but nevertheless a paycheck.
Cons
Not being able to provide true customer service due to overloading schedules, Co workers not being held accountable, Underpaid, Favoritism, Dealing with nasty patients on account of someone else not doing their job, Works on a skeleton crew so if someone is out sick or on vacation, Its nearly impossible to do your job efficiently, with a smile on your face while providing "excellent customer service"
Medical Assistant
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2017
Your coworkers will abandon you and then give an attitude when you ask for help. The doctors could care less about you. Management plays favorites and acts oblivious to known and ongoing issues. The patient volume is high and it is all about how many people you can see in a day. The people who slack off get the most positive recognition. It gets old quick.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management needs improvement
Productive company and work place but poor management at my location
Patient Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 3, 2017
I enjoy my job and the team I work with but the management at my location is awful.I wouldn't recommend anyone to come to my location, but the company yes I would recommend.
Pros
Doctors
Cons
No breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OrthoCarolina. Our community is ready to answer.