OrthoCarolina Employee Reviews

Great work environment.
O and P Manager/ Durable Medical Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 9, 2017
This is where I started my medical history. I was the Office manager and retail manager for Orthocarolina's division that did post surgical care. The experience that I gained was invaluable and would not trade it for the world.
Taking Care of the American People
Medical Assisting Extern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 3, 2017
It's very fast pace, face to face care with patients, documentation is involved, patient education, removal of sutures, staples, applying wet to dry dressing. But most important putting a smile of your patient face with the best patient care you can give on a daily basics.
Provides excellent patient care
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJanuary 29, 2017
I have enjoyed my job and the opportunity to interact with patients.
Wonderful doctors to work with and assist with minor procedures.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No chance for advancement
Patient focused
Pre Certification Specialist Utilization (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 22, 2017
Growing company. Patient focused. Physicians are top recommended surgeons in the world. Satisfied with protocols for the complete care of patients. Community service/ care is very important.
Nightmare
Patient services specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 10, 2017
Not at all what is advertised for the patient or employee in my opinion. You are expected to herd patients as if they are animals, yet give elite customer service. Benefits are not beneficial in the least. If you have kids, you might as well look forward to finding someone to watch them when they are sick or finding another job. Political influence is strong. You better know somebody if you're looking to climb the latter. There are many, many gray areas regarding everything in this practice including policies and procedures as well as doctor preferences. Everything is circumstantial. That being said, it is very easy to get into a "damned if you do, damned if you dont" situation. While it is a true statement these doctors have the best expertise of their specialty, the sad part is, in my opinion, you are not valued as an employee or patient. It's all about the almighty dollar it seems.
Pros
Getting a paycheck. A sad one, but nevertheless a paycheck.
Cons
Not being able to provide true customer service due to overloading schedules, Co workers not being held accountable, Underpaid, Favoritism, Dealing with nasty patients on account of someone else not doing their job, Works on a skeleton crew so if someone is out sick or on vacation, Its nearly impossible to do your job efficiently, with a smile on your face while providing "excellent customer service"
Medical Assistant
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2017
Your coworkers will abandon you and then give an attitude when you ask for help. The doctors could care less about you. Management plays favorites and acts oblivious to known and ongoing issues. The patient volume is high and it is all about how many people you can see in a day. The people who slack off get the most positive recognition. It gets old quick.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management needs improvement
Productive company and work place but poor management at my location
Patient Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 3, 2017
I enjoy my job and the team I work with but the management at my location is awful.I wouldn't recommend anyone to come to my location, but the company yes I would recommend.
Pros
Doctors
Cons
No breaks
Stressful place to work
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 20, 2016
The staff including physicians are backstabbers. Management is very poor. If you're white you're good. Black people get treated the worse. Most stressful place I ever worked. No rules across the board. Different rules for different people. It was a blessing to be out of there.
Pros
Being white
Cons
Being black
Large practice
Physician Assistant in Physiatry (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 31, 2016
I am committed to quality patient care. I typically have 20 patients in a day. I get along well with all of my coworkers. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with my patients.
Pros
working with a great team of physicians and other team members
Cons
dictations, and short to no lunch
Great Place to Work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCAugust 23, 2016
Although I was an unpaid intern, this facility seemed like a fun atmosphere where everyone was productive and had fun doing it. I loved my experience here and would highly recommend anyone to this facility.
Fun work place, but very busy
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 19, 2016
Very enjoyable place to work with the right leadership staff. Everyone appears to enjoy working together. Most staff has been working here for many years. Benefit package starts at 24 hours. Pay is the lowest on the scale for the position.
Pros
Benefites package
Cons
Pay could be better
Productive and easy going environment.
MRI Technologist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 16, 2016
A typical day at work is busy and productive yet easy going. We see around 30 patients daily. I learned patient care and medical terminology, especially when interacting with physicians and nurses. The management in my department is satisfactory. My manager is interested in our concerns and opinions. I enjoy the vast majority of my co-workers. I get along well with everyone I work with. The hardest part of the job is the amount of duties and tasks that I am responsible for on a daily basis. Making sure the patients have been well instructed and taken care of, setting up for the next patient, answering the phones and the administrative responsibilities can be a lot to handle if time is not not managed wisely. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of the patients. Knowing that I was able to help someone in a time of pain and discomfort is very rewarding. Also the hands on patient care experience that I have gained is priceless.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Little to no breaks
good
Test & Surgery Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 29, 2016
The employees are very friendly and management is pretty good, the position is very time consuming. Surgery scheduling requires giving surgery information to the patients, posting the surgeries at the surgery centers, and making sure patients know where they are going.
MRI Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 3, 2016
Awesome company and the people who work for them also! Enjoyed working with patients who had to have MRIs. Learned a lot while working for the company
Leadership
Account Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 12, 2016
They offer no teamwork environment... The Business Office on Park has poor management in the Call Support Side and Account Support Side.
Pros
No flexibilty
Looks good on paper, but on the inside is a nightmare.
Business Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 12, 2016
The doctors are great.
Human resources and management are horrible.
Black employees are treated so differently than white employees in the workplace and if you complain management and Human Resources will find a way to have you terminated just because you complained about being harassed.
It is very very difficult almost nearly impossible for blacks to promote Within the business office and it's very sad that I don't even think the doctors know about the behavior of management and human resources.
So much of the harassment is pushed under the rug by Human Resources so it's really never addressed and if the complaints continue then that employee will soon lose their job.
not a bad company to work for
Patient Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 16, 2016
I love my manager but i'm not extremely happy in my current position.

I learned patience while employed in this position.
Pros
decent benefits, 3.5% annual salary increase
Cons
negative atmosphere
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at work is very busy, starting at 8:00AM, checking in/ out patients, dealing with different personalities, ethnicities, and attitudes. Everyday is something different although you do the same process daily. Everyone has their own list of task along side the expectations of the job. I have learned how to take my customer service skills higher, how to multitask very well, learning their computer system, how to smile even in tough situations, and finding out that just by taking the few extra minutes to help patients and all other staff can make a huge difference in their day. The management is very well put together. The manager is very on-top of her job, she will be there to help in any way and she is very professional! My co-workers are awesome. We all work together as a team, help each other no matter the situation. It's more like a family feel between all of us, we all care for each other and want what's best for everyone. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the uncertainty of patients, how they will act, speak to you, if they are happy, sad, angry; you always have to be ready for the unexpected, handle it appropriately with a smile on your face. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the reactions of patients that come in upset, in pain, confused about information, etc; to stand at my desk and smile or laugh due to me taking just a few extra minutes to ask how they are doing, to ask if I can do anything at all to help, to make sure they have a pleasant experience when they walk through the door. Although I have come to also understand that you can't  more... always have that interaction and reaction with/ for all patients but you can try your best and make sure you are satisfied with the job you did.  less
Fun place towork, organized, very productive
Surgery Scheduler Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 26, 2015
A typical day was scheduling surgeries for three hand doctors and verifying benefits for surgeries. Supervised four other surgery schedulers.

I learned how to create a policy and procedure manual for surgery schedulers.

Management was okay. They could have been a little more involved in day to day activities.

My co-workers were awesome and easy to get along with. Alot of teamwork

The hardest part of my job was trying to keep up with my work and supervising four other employees

Working with patients and physicians and the different hospitals.
Pros
very laid back office
Cons
not enough supervisor envolvement
Enjoyed my co-workers
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCOctober 18, 2015
To much work expected for the number of employees, Understaffing is making for quick burn out and high turn over rate and poor family life. You are so tired at the end of the day, you have nothing left to give ou family
Pros
Loved doing transcription
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OrthoCarolina. Our community is ready to answer.

85%