Orvis Employee Reviews in United States

Productive work
Packing and Walking Picker (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 17, 2015
Orvis is a great place to work but the hours during Christmas season starts up to 7 days a week 9 to 12 hour shifts Regular hours are 5 days a week 35- 45 hours a week. Your on your feet a lot and have to lift up to 75 pounds. they have great benefits but they work you to death. during the summer there is no air conditioning. people fight over fans to keep you cool and its 10- 20 degrees hotter inside during summer and 10- 20 degrees colder in the winter time in the warehouse. management is ok. they do compensate you for your work by having cook outs and buying dinner for there employees. your co workers will work with you and help you in any way possible. the hardest part of job is lifting heavy consistently and the weather temps on the inside. the most enjoyable would be compensated for your hard work and knowing you reached your goal for the week.
Pros
free dinners, christmas bonus, healthcare is great
Cons
back breaking work/ harsh weather conditions
decent pay friendly enviroment
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 21, 2016
learned to multitask and to be patient. teaches you great customer skills and tests sales ability. sitting for long periods of time but breaks and lunches were distributed well. the coworkers are nice the hardest part is if you are a slow learner and not tech savy you will have a difficult time. typical day consists of taking calls and placing orders from customers who call in shopping from a catalog and assisting those who have returns or questions regarding products and orders
Pros
good pay, relaxed environment
Cons
pay every two weeks, low hours
Great place to work for.
Receiving/Mail Order Clerk (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 22, 2016
I started out in Receiving,i work in different dept,like mail order & returns.plus scanning items at the work place.The coworker were nice.Most of the work was interesting to do.The management was excellent.
productive and fun
Customer service sales (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 25, 2016
nice work place call center enviorment. management could have worked out schedules better. great seasonal job to get back in call center vibe after my maternity leave
Terrible place to work
Customer Service/Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Call center in RoanokeMarch 7, 2014
The supervisors at the call center in Roanoke have NO RESPECT for the employees. They keep the people who answer the phones as ON CALL employees (with no benefits) forever. It's like working on a plantation, you are their slave. The supervisors are rude & most have no people skills or formal education. Hard work does not get you a decent raise......you get more grief. The call floor is full of drama. Employees hang up on callers and play on their cell phones when they can get away with it. Workers in the warehouse are so demoralized that they sabotage many orders.Better not be one minute late on your break or you will be punished. Most of the top sales people have LEFT the company......a pity their sales are going down. This company buys garments from sweatshops in the third world very cheap, then sews an Orvis label in them & marks the prices up dramatically. I sold over $100,000 EVERY year I was there & they gave me 25 cent raises. And wrote me up every chance they got. They would send me over 75 complaint calls a day. Just say NO to Orvis.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
they treat employees like dirt. supervisors are inept.
Great company to work for in retail field.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Darien, CTNovember 21, 2011
Orvis, overall, is a great company to work for. They offer a friendly work environment with excellent training and leadership. Compensation is a bit low, but if you work hard you can make pretty decent commissions every month.
Pros
great management, nice store to work in.
Cons
compensation is low.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIJune 27, 2012
Check-in was done as an automated system vie the cash registers. After checking in, the first duty was to check the sales floor to see what needed to be restocked. After this was completed, then checking for any price updates.
I learned that even though there are a lot of people who don't deserve to be in management, every once in a while you actually run into someone that does. My boss was awesome, and I wish there were more members of management staff out there like him.
My co-workers were not only respectful of others, and made it enjoyable to come into work, but they also knew how to make it a lot of fun.
I think the hardest part was, sometimes, making sure the customers were getting the right products they needed. Other than that, Orivs is an awesome place to work. If it wouldn't have been for them having some troubles with excess staff, I would've stayed working for them for a very long time.
The most enjoyable part about the job was; pretty much everything. My Store Manager was great, he treated people with absolute respect, and in turn they gave him total respect. My co-workers were fun to not only work with, but to even hang around with. Everyone was like a huge extended family. It was great working with them.
Pros
management, co-workers, work schedule, benefits
Cons
some of the customers
interesting job
Order Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 2, 2015
Layed back job.. learning all different materials people like to order for there pets and outdoor activities .. the only difficult thing about job is when material is missing
Orvis
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 1, 2012
I learned alot about Orvis i was a "floater" i knew how to work in just about every department! Awesome benefits and customer satisfaction. my co workers were nice and very little drama there...
Pros
good work environment
Cons
you do not get additional pay for knowing and working the other departments in the company
Productive and fun
Quality Assurance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 6, 2013
You always have something to do, able to communcate with the departments to get your job done well. And when low in one department given opportunity to work in another department.
Pros
healthcare package and 401k
Cons
business goes up and down in sales
Productive work enviroment friendly staff and co-workers
Picker/Sorter (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 14, 2015
Very laid back workplace with very cool staff and co-workers. A bit dusty could be a problem for those with strong allergies.
It was alright…
Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2015
Employed there a little over a year. Great people to work with but at the same time not so much. Everyone is always in your business, can't have a decent lunch without someone asking so many questions, and for some reason whenever I talked to other employees the management was bothered by it or interrupted it. But yet they are were allowed to talk to everyone for any given time and it was acceptable. I thought we were suppose to get along, why the hostility?!
It was a good in between job but glad that I did not stay there long.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Too many to mention
How I feel about my job
packer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 27, 2015
A typical day a wrok for me, I come in get my station ready and clock in and start packing my orders.

I learned how to price the product for store and how to consolidate the orders in to one big order.

The management team is a great team and work together to help the employees feel comfortable.

The hardest part of the job is when our hours are cut short because I don't like to miss my money.

The most enjoyable part of the day is coming in and able to perform my duties.
No support; you are on your own!
sales (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VaMay 28, 2015
Told from the start not to befriend employees! A little box of an office (claustrophobia) banksters running the business! Yeesh!
Pros
Cons
No healthcare, short breaks (don't get out of chair) etc;
Wonderful Company to Work For!
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Essex, VTDecember 22, 2012
Orvis is by far the best company I have ever worked for, in terms of company values and support of employees from upper management. I had the pleasure of working with the sweetest store manager, and thoroughly enjoyed the company of my co-workers. Communication with upper management was excellent, which truly makes associates feel like part of the business. I enjoyed forming relationships with local customers, and would have stayed with Orvis had I not moved out of state.
Productive fun place to work.
Voice of the Customer Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke,Va.March 17, 2014
It is a very busy work environment.
I learned a great deal at Orvis. I have gotten a ton of customer service as well as sales experience. I have learned so many other areas as well they are hard to list them all here, however they have all been valuable . My co-workers I can't say enough about I can't count how many lifetime friendships I have built at Orvis,from Supervisors to leads to represenatives on the floor. That is not to mention people in other departments. Wonderful people all the way around. My Favorite part of the job has always been the people. Starting with the customers and then all the wonderful people I work with .
Pros
co workers, customers, helthcare
Leadership is stuck in the past, unable to accept change. Lots of issues to fix.
Creative Services (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, VTDecember 4, 2013
I'd give the Orvis HQ negative stars if that were possible. I've been working at the Orvis HQ full-time five years and there are some good people there. However, I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Despite social media efforts to make consumers and job seekers think Orvis is a great place to work, it is one of the most backward-thinking companies I have worked for. Orvis does not embrace change, leadership is unqualified to lead into the digital age, there is a culture of micromanagement (starting with CEO), it's a very political landscape, only a few people who get along well with the owners really thrive there, the culture covers up inappropriate senior-level behavior, there are zero innovative minds leading any type of change, extremely poor employee morale, women are treated inferior to men, with the exception of the few women who are in relationships with male decision makers. Also, at the Sunderland HQ there is zero transparency and the company tries to hide financial and senior level performance from the rest of the employees.
Pros
some good people.
Cons
doesn't embrace change, stuck in catalog world, low employee morale, high level of favoritism, sexism (unless in relationship with senior exec), lack of innovation, culture of micromanagement.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 26, 2012
Handling of sales/returns orders. How to process orders with maximum effort in minimal time. Management could use some tweaking in points. Co Workers were nice and friendly, team environment. Fluctuating between billing, return orders, and learning fast past and changing systems. Helping others on the phone achieve shopping by catalog and online.
Pros
established company over 150 years
Cons
short breaks
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 4, 2015
I made a good amount of money for the work that I did. It was an enjoyable place to be because of the coworkers and customers.
Employees and phone-in customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 26, 2013
The best part of this job is the employees and the customers. They both fall hand in hand. All the employees are so respectful and i loved working for them. The customers are very complimentive and respectful. There is always laughter and joking, but serious when needed. The hardest part of the job i would say would be leaving.
Pros
employees, customers, hours, breaks, fun, talkitive
Cons
nothing