Orvis Employee Reviews

Orvis was a interesting place to work
Inbound Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 9, 2017
I never knew how many things went into fly fishing and how many items there were for pets until I worked at Orvis. I learned how to fly fish and it was fun actually. The whole experience with working for the company changed my views on how I look at fishing from now on.
Pros
pay
Cons
learning environment
Quick paced fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 17, 2017
Inbound call center so it is always busy. Customers were easy to assist with their catalog/internet purchases. Enjoyed helping customers find items they needed.
Shouldn't Have Left
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 7, 2017
In retrospect Orvis was a wonderful place to work. They had store events and cocktail parties. If you like the outdoors this is a great place to work. Clients get to know you and the staff is very knowledgeable about the craft of fly fishing.
Pros
Fun and relaxed
Cons
A lot of floor reset with a fairly large sales floor.
No Money to be made here!! Stay clear!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 30, 2017
They only hire people part-time up to 29 hours a week. No benefits for six months. Total waste of time. Plus, the hiring manager for the call center is a twit. Stay away from this company!
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Friendly atmosphere
Customer Service / Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 1, 2017
handling incoming calls and placing the customers orders and trying to upsell to the customer. Taking about 100 calls or more a day and training the new reps coming in.
Typical Day At Orvis
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24012June 19, 2017
The work at Orvis was balanced, and work was easy. Everyone was easy to get along with the supervisor was always checking on employees making sure work was getting done and always showed respect to employees.
Pros
Nice typical place to work.
Cons
Not enough hours.
Great job if your life is fishing only
Fishing Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 17, 2017
Your day will be spent working not just in the fishing department but all throughout the store. It is a great job if you want to be consumed by fishing and make connections throughout the fishing world. The company culture is amazing, your ability to meet with the people who have helped shape the fly fishing industry is a great perk and the companies upper management are great to work with. The hardest part about the job is having two different personalities, one for being "fishing guy" and another for being "clothing sales guy". The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to teach a sport you love to people through the Fly Fishing 101 program.
Pros
GREAT discount, being in touch with the sport you love.
Cons
tough to take lunch breaks.
Great Company
Women's Dept lead (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 2, 2017
I loved working for such a reputable brand that has been around for so many years and truly stands by their product and always puts the customers' needs first.
Everyday was as if you were "hangingout" with friends!
Sales Associate/ window display & entire shop (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 20, 2017
It always felt as though we were a group of friends just hanging out & sharing experiences of our latest adventures with everyone we'd meet. There would be baked goods in the back room for us to share & fun contest to achieve sales goals.
With every new promotion the company offered for the season, we'd have a excitement in the air to promote the 'trip' or 'special' item to clients.
It was never boring but, rather enthusiastic joy!
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, which promoted a perpetual smile.
Cons
lack of loyalty to the staff when new management desires to remove the team to build her own.
Shipping (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 6, 2017
It was a safe environmental place to work in,as well as it had a lot of benefits diversification.furthermore it helped me to improve my skills professionally.
Pros
Free lunches
I like working there
Sales Associate, Customer Service, Retail (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 26, 2017
working at orvis was great. I have learned how to address customer issues and also working in a group with my co-workers was a great experience for me.
Great balance of work and family.
Outfitter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 20, 2017
A good place to work, it was nice to work in a field where your experience played a huge part in customer service. A typical day would be serving customers by means of phone, email and live chats. Was never alot of direct interaction with management and it was a must to be a self starter and motivator.
this is a positive enviornment with a lot of room to grow in the company.
Women's Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, MSDecember 29, 2016
When I'm at work all my other problems seem to fade away and I'm able to focus on my customers and co-workers. All of my Co-workers are friendly and willing to work as a team. I'm always happy here with a big smile on my face. I am learning some manager skills, like closing the registers at the end of the work day. This might be the hardest part of my job so far because its new and I have to be patient and observant when counting the money. I've also learned some life long communication skills.
Fast Pace environment
Customer Service Representative/Sales (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 22, 2016
I enjoyed working in the fast pace environment. Call center is in my blood. I love customer service/ sales. I look forward to going to work there everyday, when I was scheduled. I enjoyed the games we played to receive a prize. The co-workers was a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job for me was, I didn't want to let my customers off the phone. I wish I was eligible for rehire, all because I didn't give a notices.
Pros
incentative per up selling
Cons
hours got cut if business was slow.
Wonderful company with unparalleled mission
Retail Sales Associate/ Fly Fishing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, WYNovember 15, 2016
Orvis was an amazing company to work for. The company embodies all of my passions. It delivers high quality good for a high quality lifestyle. From fly fishing to wing shooting, to everyday apparel, the company takes pride in producing the best, and it inspires its sales associates to take pride in selling the best.
The Customer is Always Right
Accountant (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 7, 2016
Strong commitment to exceeding expectations of customers; exemplary customer service. Also, one of company's core values is "Giving Back-Achieving a Higher Purpose", a deep-seated belief to leave the world a better place.
Productive and fun enviroment
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, VTSeptember 7, 2016
The job was very easy. Most days seemed to go by quickly. The people were nice. However, there was a great lack of communication between the team leaders and the workers.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Lack of communication
Great place to work for.
Receiving/Mail Order Clerk (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 22, 2016
I started out in Receiving,i work in different dept,like mail order & returns.plus scanning items at the work place.The coworker were nice.Most of the work was interesting to do.The management was excellent.
Fun group of people
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NevadaMay 23, 2016
Orvis is a fun bunch of folks. It offers a retail environment with customers generally happy to be there. Regulars customers became best friends.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Communication
decent pay friendly enviroment
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 21, 2016
learned to multitask and to be patient. teaches you great customer skills and tests sales ability. sitting for long periods of time but breaks and lunches were distributed well. the coworkers are nice the hardest part is if you are a slow learner and not tech savy you will have a difficult time. typical day consists of taking calls and placing orders from customers who call in shopping from a catalog and assisting those who have returns or questions regarding products and orders
Pros
good pay, relaxed environment
Cons
pay every two weeks, low hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orvis. Our community is ready to answer.