Orvis

Orvis Employer Reviews

learning about fly fishing was fun.
Offered excellent customer service skills by phone (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 28, 2014
People and customer were great and friendly. learned alot about fishing gear.
Productive fun place to work.
Voice of the Customer Associate (Current Employee), Roanoke,Va.March 17, 2014
Pros: co workers, customers, helthcare
It is a very busy work environment.
I learned a great deal at Orvis. I have gotten a ton of customer service as well as sales experience. I have learned so many other areas as well they are hard to list them all here, however they have all been valuable . My co-workers I can't say enough about I can't count how many lifetime friendships I have built – more... at Orvis,from Supervisors to leads to represenatives on the floor. That is not to mention people in other departments. Wonderful people all the way around. My Favorite part of the job has always been the people. Starting with the customers and then all the wonderful people I work with . – less
Terrible place to work
Customer Service/Sales Rep (Former Employee), Call center in RoanokeMarch 7, 2014
Pros: a paycheck
Cons: they treat employees like dirt. supervisors are inept.
The supervisors at the call center in Roanoke have NO RESPECT for the employees. They keep the people who answer the phones as ON CALL employees (with no benefits) forever. It's like working on a plantation, you are their slave. The supervisors are rude & most have no people skills or formal education. Hard work does not get you a decent raise......you – more... get more grief. The call floor is full of drama. Employees hang up on callers and play on their cell phones when they can get away with it. Workers in the warehouse are so demoralized that they sabotage many orders.Better not be one minute late on your break or you will be punished. Most of the top sales people have LEFT the company......a pity their sales are going down. This company buys garments from sweatshops in the third world very cheap, then sews an Orvis label in them & marks the prices up dramatically. I sold over $100,000 EVERY year I was there & they gave me 25 cent raises. And wrote me up every chance they got. They would send me over 75 complaint calls a day. Just say NO to Orvis. – less
worked at home
rod winder (Former Employee), manchester, vtJanuary 2, 2014
I worked at home building fishing rods it was a good job. I would get my supplies come home set it all up and begin put the eyes on the rods.
Leadership is stuck in the past, unable to accept change. Lots of issues to fix.
Creative Services (Current Employee), Sunderland, VTDecember 4, 2013
Pros: some good people.
Cons: doesn't embrace change, stuck in catalog world, low employee morale, high level of favoritism, sexism (unless in relationship with senior exec), lack of innovation, culture of micromanagement.
I'd give the Orvis HQ negative stars if that were possible. I've been working at the Orvis HQ full-time five years and there are some good people there. However, I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Despite social media efforts to make consumers and job seekers think Orvis is a great place to work, it is one of the most backward-thinking companies – more... I have worked for. Orvis does not embrace change, leadership is unqualified to lead into the digital age, there is a culture of micromanagement (starting with CEO), it's a very political landscape, only a few people who get along well with the owners really thrive there, the culture covers up inappropriate senior-level behavior, there are zero innovative minds leading any type of change, extremely poor employee morale, women are treated inferior to men, with the exception of the few women who are in relationships with male decision makers. Also, at the Sunderland HQ there is zero transparency and the company tries to hide financial and senior level performance from the rest of the employees. – less
Productive and fun
Quality Assurance Auditor (Former Employee), Roanoke, VANovember 6, 2013
Pros: healthcare package and 401k
Cons: business goes up and down in sales
You always have something to do, able to communcate with the departments to get your job done well. And when low in one department given opportunity to work in another department.
Lots of Opportunity
Ecommerce At Home Specialist (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAOctober 30, 2013
I was able to move through various positions through hard work and appreciate all the opportunity I was given at Orvis.
Inspection
Packer/Inspector (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 19, 2013
I enjoyed the inspection of clothes...I aslo packed.. the workers here were good to work with...
Employees and phone-in customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: employees, customers, hours, breaks, fun, talkitive
Cons: nothing
The best part of this job is the employees and the customers. They both fall hand in hand. All the employees are so respectful and i loved working for them. The customers are very complimentive and respectful. There is always laughter and joking, but serious when needed. The hardest part of the job i would say would be leaving.
Sales Oriented Country Style Workplace
Fishing Lead (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 18, 2013
Small store setting requires salesmanship at all levels of employment as company is very sales-driven.
Wonderful Company to Work For!
Key Holder (Former Employee), Essex, VTDecember 22, 2012
Orvis is by far the best company I have ever worked for, in terms of company values and support of employees from upper management. I had the pleasure of working with the sweetest store manager, and thoroughly enjoyed the company of my co-workers. Communication with upper management was excellent, which truly makes associates feel like part of the business. – more... I enjoyed forming relationships with local customers, and would have stayed with Orvis had I not moved out of state. – less
Orvis
Order Selector (Former Employee), Roanoke, VADecember 1, 2012
Pros: good work environment
Cons: you do not get additional pay for knowing and working the other departments in the company
I learned alot about Orvis i was a "floater" i knew how to work in just about every department! Awesome benefits and customer satisfaction. my co workers were nice and very little drama there...
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Roanoke, VANovember 26, 2012
Pros: established company over 150 years
Cons: short breaks
Handling of sales/returns orders. How to process orders with maximum effort in minimal time. Management could use some tweaking in points. Co Workers were nice and friendly, team environment. Fluctuating between billing, return orders, and learning fast past and changing systems. Helping others on the phone achieve shopping by catalog and online.
Busy but good pay
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAOctober 21, 2012
Pros: pay, hours
Cons: headset starts to hurt
Call center can be very busy or very slow. Pay is good, $10 hr and $10.50 after 6pm and on weekends starting out. You do deal with many wealthy older people who can be rude and talk to you negatively. You also talk to some very nice people who actually invite you to come visit where they are from. Flexibility with your schedule.
Good place to work at very productive.
Orvis Warehouse (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 27, 2012
Pros: h
Great place to work at.Good supervisors.Just no advancement opportunity and pay is kind of low.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Middleton, WIJune 27, 2012
Pros: management, co-workers, work schedule, benefits
Cons: some of the customers
Check-in was done as an automated system vie the cash registers. After checking in, the first duty was to check the sales floor to see what needed to be restocked. After this was completed, then checking for any price updates.
I learned that even though there are a lot of people who don't deserve to be in management, every once in a while you actually – more... run into someone that does. My boss was awesome, and I wish there were more members of management staff out there like him.
My co-workers were not only respectful of others, and made it enjoyable to come into work, but they also knew how to make it a lot of fun.
I think the hardest part was, sometimes, making sure the customers were getting the right products they needed. Other than that, Orivs is an awesome place to work. If it wouldn't have been for them having some troubles with excess staff, I would've stayed working for them for a very long time.
The most enjoyable part about the job was; pretty much everything. My Store Manager was great, he treated people with absolute respect, and in turn they gave him total respect. My co-workers were fun to not only work with, but to even hang around with. Everyone was like a huge extended family. It was great working with them. – less
Great company to work for in retail field.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Darien, CTNovember 21, 2011
Pros: great management, nice store to work in.
Cons: compensation is low.
Orvis, overall, is a great company to work for. They offer a friendly work environment with excellent training and leadership. Compensation is a bit low, but if you work hard you can make pretty decent commissions every month.
Great
Network Engineer (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJune 23, 2014
Was able to learn new things and learn more about networking gear.

About Orvis

Have visions of fly-fishing the trout streams of the American West but don't know where to start? The Orvis Company can outfit – Read more