Oscar Insurance Employee Reviews

Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 10, 2017
Been here at Oscar for now almost a year and I love it.
The compensation is better than other jobs and benefits are great.
We have free snacks and free beverages from VitWater, and more.
Great relaxed place to work.
Don't believe the hype - bad place to work at
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2017
Awful management and no job security at all. Crazy work hours with no recognition of your efforts. They'll get rid of you the second they don't like something.
Interview process is flawed
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2017
Was called for the first telephone interview and it went well. Was scheduled for the second and was never called only to be lied to about the position being canceled. But its still listed.
Walks like a Start-up, Talks like a Start-up, but is really a typical terrible corporation
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2016
- i feel like i am being asked to participate in institutionalized racism
- when i was hired, it was too good to be true. then it got bad. then it got real
- good perks that dwindle
- being laid-off
Pros
snacks
Cons
the job, in several ways, is a con
Good Entry-Level Start
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2016
Good place to begin a career. Training was complete and enabled you to get your license in Health insurance. Startup environment.
Inspiring people fixing a challenging problem.
Member Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2016
I've been with Oscar for a couple of years now. In that time I have worked with some of the smartest people I've ever met; they are genuine, passionate, and kind. Fixing healthcare won't be easy, but we have the best team and environment to do it.
Pros
People, development, rewarding work.
Cons
Battling the desire to work as much as possible.
Mature start-up with a great mission
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
I really enjoy working at Oscar. Everyone who I interact with is bright, driven, and excited about the mission. We have weekly all-hands meetings run by leadership where they provide transparent updates and highlight different teams.

There is a lot of work to get done, but everyone works together to make it happen.
Member Services
Member Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2016
A typical day at Oscar is meeting with direct reports, peers and management to work on improving processes and efficiency. Oscar is a place in which feedback is welcomed, difficult discussions can be had all while pushing the goal forward - making healthcare as painless as possible.

Working here I have learned what I am capable of and that just when I thought I had things figured out, there was a new challenge to tackle. I have never worked with such amazingly talented, dedicated people.
Meaningful company with smart, fun people!
People (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2016
(+) Smart, passionate people working on a difficult but meaningful problem. You learn a lot about how disastrous the US healthcare industry at Oscar -- and how we're working to change that. It's not all about $$, it's about creating the best end-to-end healthcare experience.
(+) Fun and friendly culture but very hardworking
(+) Free lunches, fully stocked kitchen, flexible vacation time -- tons of fun company events
(+) Interesting, challenging projects that you'll only find at Oscar
(+) Cross team collaboration

(-) Meaningful mission but it also means we have a lot of work to do.
Very cool environment, great people!
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
Oscar is a creative place to work, full of passionate people who work really hard to improve healthcare. It's definitely challenging and fast paced, but you'll also learn a ton of things and grow a lot while working here.
Great Company! Growing Fast!
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
I've been with Oscar a little under a year and it has been the best thing to happen to me. The overall mission is to help people and fix healthcare, so as a result you get some pretty amazing and kind people as your team mates.

We have grown so fast in the past year, and yes; there are definitely growing pains, but at the end of the day this is a good problem to have!

Great benefits, fully stocked kitchen, cold brew on tap, free lunch 3 days a week, monthly company happy hours, monthly company birthday parties, prominent LGBT community & support, monthly speaker series (most recent guest was Larry Summers! So interesting and educational) great office culture, weekly "Crushed It Award" where each week someone is awarded for demonstrating Oscar Values.

Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up and focus on what we don't have, but if you take a step back, you realize this company is a unicorn. It genuinely cares about it's members and it's employees. Not your typical health insurance company!!
Pros
Free lunches, perks, corporate gym memberships, fully stocked kitchen, great culture, accessible exec staff, passionate team members, potential to make amazing changes in health care.
Cons
Growing Pains
The BEST co-workers, all dedicated to fix healthcare!
People Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
My favorite thing about my job is that everyone who works here is really passionate about the mission of fixing health care. It doesn't matter what department you're in, you're making a difference in some way. From a practical perspective, we also get great perks and benefits -- those definitely don't hurt.

Everyone at Oscar is new at this, we're building something new. Some days this feels like the best thing in the world because my opinion really matters, and other days I feel like I wish there was someone to tell me what to do so that I can take a break.

The hardest part about the job is that we're constantly reinventing things. This can be exciting, but it can also mean a lot of work and frustration. Also we're in a super high growth phase right now, so there isn't a lot of time to sit a round and appreciate what we've accomplished.

Overall I'd definitely recommend Oscar, but be ready to jump in roll up your sleeves because it's a busy time.
Pros
the best co-workers, great health insurance starting on your first day, my opinion/expertise is valued
Cons
It can be hard work, and a lot of it sometimes. Because it's a startup, many things are new and sometimes unclear
work culture not great
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Not very strong on transparency or open about changes until the very last minute. Management not very competent or helpful when issues arise. Oscar requires a lot of self researching and problem solving on your own, which is good in some ways and bad at times when you are held liable to customers and laws, as a broker. They will feed you a lot of idealism and lies, stick to your gut and don't buy into the hype.
Pros
free lunch and snacks
Cons
benefits and low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oscar Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2