OSF HealthCare Employee Reviews

great place to work
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 19, 2017
Great place to work. We take care of all the patient's in the most loving and caring way possible. The organization is well managed, great environment, and lots of room for advancement.
I love my job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Outpatient infusion centerFebruary 2, 2017
I very much enjoy the work I do at the outpatient infusion center. I have worked for this company for 9 years. I would be interested in continuing my current work in the home setting or in another infusion unit
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
I would like better benefits and compensation
Very poor treatment of staff
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 23, 2017
This facility only cares about one thing- money. And since they're full of middle management, all the cuts will coming from floor staff down. Like others have said, you'll start with speeches and presentations on how great the workplace is, but within a few years (maybe less) the reality will make you see through their peppy introduction. They focus on patient satisfaction, which, as studies show, actually hurts patient outcome. They'll prioritize everything else over staff safety and satisfaction. Constantly short staffed, major changes without consent (like mandatory overtime) that weren't in your contract, huge safety issues for staff and patients alike, very poor pay/benefits. Hard to escape once you're here, the sisters own this whole area and you can't even transfer if you've been disciplined on something as minor as 2 late clockings plus 2 sick days in an entire year. Millions of middle management, each breathing down your neck as they have nothing better to do than remind you of your shortcomings as you're overworked. Don't work here unless you're middle management and above; in which case pay is great and you personally won't have to do anything productive.
Pros
Other floor staff understand, are supportive. Easy to get a job even if you're new, staff turnover is huge.
Cons
Short staffed, dangerous work environment, major changes to your initial contract without your consent, dangerous staff parking, no breaks, no meal or other discounts, rigid and punishing system for any sick/leave, poor compensation/ raises, etc etc.
Horrible Management and Hostile Work Environment
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 19, 2017
The management is horrible. I had two nurses asult me and I contacted my managers and HR about it and nothing got accomplished, but the nurse had a target on my back the whole entire time making my job horrible. I also had a serious medical condition was unable to work for 10 days with a doctor's note of proof and my manager had me written on the schedule as called in when I never called in so I lost more of my PTO. The work life balance is great they are extremely good about working around your schedule. If you work over 1000 hours in there fiscle year you earn a team award which is a bonus that comes around Christmas.
Pros
Knowledge you gain
Cons
Mangment, short breaks, hostile work environment
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Team Member (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 12, 2017
I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Osf. They have a great mission statement & definitely lives up to. The history behind Osf is amazing. Everyone i met coming into the Children's Gift Shop said all positive things as well. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a career. Osf offers great job opportunities!
Pros
Positive Environment
Cons
Nothing negative!
Great place to work with a great mission to serve everyone with the greatest care and love.
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, ILJanuary 7, 2017
Office manager for 4 specialty clinics including Orthopedics, General Surgery, OB/GYN, and Podiatry. OSF is a wonderful place to work due to its mission of serving everyone with the greatest care and love. Also a very large organization with many opportunities for personal growth.
Benefits
Cons
Reward and recognition
Best Employer Ever
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 22, 2016
The culture of OSF is one that you will find nowhere else. The Sisters and leaders truly care about their employees and this sense of caring spills over to all the people I work with. They are my work family.... people who are committed to providing compassionate care not only to patients but to each other. The pay and benefits are competitive and there are numerous opportunities for advancement. Staff are able to be involved in committees and teams.
Love Working for OSF
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 16, 2016
Best job I have ever had! I love every bit of it!!!! If you get the opportunity to work at OSF you better jump on it :) The work environment is great lots of opportunity to grow
Horrible managment, don't care about employees
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILOctober 29, 2016
Working here taught me a lot about what to watch out for when looking for a job. During the interview they didn't ask anything about what I know about my specific job. During orientation they tell you how they care about their employees and that is a total lie. They protect people who have done wrong and punish those that do their job right. Would not recommend working there at all! Way understaffed and they don't care.
Pros
Good health insurance.
Cons
Short staffed, over worked.
Poor Management; Cares more about money than patient safety
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 29, 2016
I worked for OSF for many years. At first it was a wonderful place to work, but then they restructured their management system; it all went down from there. Management cares only about money, not its employees, and will even risk the patients' safety to save a couple of bucks. Also, if the management doesn't like you, or you are an experienced nurse (ie. more expensive), they will find a way to push you out, make you quit, or even find (or fabricate) a reason to fire you. They would rather pay a new, inexperienced nurse less money than pay an experienced nurse more money. In addition, for months before leaving, the nurse to patient ratio was to the point where it was very unsafe. Many nurses were upset that they could not provide the best patient care that they knew they were capable of, and were even worried about their licenses. The salary is the worst out of all the hospitals in the area. The only good thing about OSF were my coworkers.
Pros
The coworkers in my department were amazing.
Cons
Management, patient safety concerns, favoritism, salary; pretty much everything.
Poor management and favoritism
Patient care (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 17, 2016
If you do not suck up to your manager you will not be appreciated at all by her. Very discriminating against the whites, we are the minoorities within OSF the other ethnic races take advantage daily of this establishment. No confidence with HR either, they are there only for OSF not the employees. No reason to even have managers or HR they are useless.
Pros
Non
OSF cares about money, not people.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILSeptember 13, 2016
During your interviews and first day orientation, they put on a facade about how great it is to work there; the team environment, the pastoral care, the perks you will get. Once you start working there, you realize that you will be greatly overworked for your pay, constant schedule changes, no work/life balance whatsoever because your schedule constantly changes, you barely get a break most days, you can never use sick/vaca time when you want it, rarely get over time or the proper training/supplies you need to do your job. No one else wants to help you in any department because they are too busy. The management is clueless and all the HR department does is take long lunches and bother you to come to "team building excercises" that you don't have time to go to because your work load is so big. Many floor nurses can be very disrespectful and the physicians have no patience. You rarely get a raise and when you do, it is small. The physicians order tests for patients that the patients don't even need simply because they want to make more money for the hospital and themselves. Do not work here, especially not in Ottawa. It's worth it to work at a smaller hospital where you may get paid slightly less and not have near the amount of stress, physical and mental exhaustion to deal with.
Pros
Decent coworkers in the lab.
Cons
No work/life balance. Minimal breaks.
schedule works out with family schedule
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 12, 2016
I like the healthcare field, want to be challenge a little more, I like my leaders and co-workers. Enjoy speaking with patients. Hardest part, schedule.
Pros
schedule great, good co-workers
Cons
holiday pay and sick issues
OSF Summary
Revenue and Receipts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 7, 2016
I loved working at OSF, the atmosphere is like family. I loved what the motto stands for: To serve with the greatest care and love. Also, I like teamwork. OSF has opportunities to work as a team with the right employees.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Some harsh policies
It's all about the money
Hospice home (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 22, 2016
Management is horrible. Lots of favoritism. Management is not supportive. I feel we are thrown under the bus every day. Patients are treated according to how much money they have. It's sickening.
Pros
Pto
POOR Management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 27, 2016
I worked this job for several years. Management in this department is based on whether the main coordinator likes you. A lot of drama with her. Very busy and understaffed.Typical day consisted greeting patients and prepping for their surgery then possibly caring for them on return. This hospital either got rid/fired of their seasoned nurses over minimal excuses or forced them out; especially if you had over 20 years experience just to save money. If your under "positive review" you are unable to transfer to another department and also if you do not have bachelors degree.
It might be a site by site problem
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJuly 27, 2016
I have worked in 2 OSF locations. The first was absolutely awful and I swore I'd never return. BUT, at a different location (doing the same job) I don't plan to leave. I will say that there is a huge void in communication between sites, and the new employee orientation is poorly organized, you wouldn't believe what all happed to me.

The department I am in now is fantastic, great bunch of folks and my director is amazing. I am glad I gave it another shot!
Pros
Flexibly, higher pay, better work load
Cons
No benefits for prn
OSF is the best place to grow Professionally in Healthcare
Business Professional (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 12, 2016
I started with OSF Healthcare as a CNA and have been given several opportunities for advancement. OSF provided tuition reimbursement for my school allowing me to further my education and make myself a more valuable employee. This organization has provided top notch benefits, work life balance and I love the numerous teams that I've been privileged to work with!
Pros
Work life balance, benefits, team atmosphere, learning opportunities
Lots of education but poor management and poor teamwork
Registered Nurse Emergency (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 1, 2016
OSF is a fantastic place to learn as it is a teaching hospital. However, management is very poor. OSF ignores employee satisfaction while changing policy to increase patient satisfaction, with disregard for best-practice and best-outcomes for patients. Efficiency takes priority over quality care. Turnover is a big problem due to poor employee satisfaction. Popularity is also a problem within the organization, with leniency and incentives given to those who are friends with management.
a company that cares
Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 1, 2016
OSF is a great place to work and provides its employees with every opportunity to grow and become who they are truly meant to be! Their mission is to serve with the greatest care and love! Says it all...
Pros
great culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSF HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8