OSF Saint Francis Medical Center Employee Reviews

Wish not to say
Centralized Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 8, 2017
Liked my job however the manager was horrible. People were put on levels for just about anything. She had favorites. Could not trust my manager or her supervisors. Many stirring the pot in this department
Do not recommend.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 8, 2017
Would not recommend this job to anyone. Lack of hours and pay was decent. It was only a problem when it came to hours and the employer. I learned a few things about cleaning a hospital.
Great teaching hospital environment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 19, 2017
I worked here while in nursing school at this hospital, and I loved the community I found in this hospital. It is a magnet-designated hospital, and is a highly respected teaching hospital for many reasons. I experienced no lateral violence within the nursing staff and community, because these nurses do not "eat their young." Nurses at OSF take pride in the fact that this hospital is continuously developing and growing strong and professional nurses, and I have found that the experienced nurses take part in this too, coming alongside new nurses, nursing students, and CNA's, and teaching them valuable skills and knowledge, to prepare them for growth and advancement in their professional nursing careers. I very much appreciate all that I have gained as a student and CNA at OSF--knowledge, skills, confidence, and readiness for a career in nursing.
Pros
Beneficial work environment, strong work ethic, passionate nurses, compassionate and caring workers
Cons
Hours not flexible, poor management from unit supervisors
I'm in icu
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 9, 2017
can be a very rewarding job, saving peoples lives is awesome. Tends to bring you down a bit though due to deaths on my unit. Co-workers are wonderful and help each other deal with the toughness of our unit. Insurance is good
Pros
good insurance
Cons
only move up with expensive schooling
Great company
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 18, 2017
OSF SFMC has many opportunities within the company. Great health insurance. Very busy at times and does have short staffing in most areas. Different ways to advance and learn new skills
Amazing
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 11, 2017
Such a great place to work. Many opportunities and growth . It's like working with one big family . Everyone is so nice and help each out . Highly recommend .
Review
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 8, 2017
I am not sure why I need to fill out the review for each company I worked for. This is a bit excessive and definitely takes longer than 60 seconds. This should be a optional task.
Hardworking group that are like family
Special Procedures Technologist (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 6, 2017
I would say that I absolutely love my job in the Cath Lab. The Lab is filled with some of the most hardworking people I know. I think the only thing lacking in the department would be management. If the management wasn't lacking so much it would be the best place in the hospital to work! Call isn't horrible at all ...1day a week and every 4-5 weekend and if you want to pick up extra call there was always people willing to give it up!

My family and I are looking to relocate to Florida so that's the only reason that I will be leaving my department.
Pros
Extremely hardworking team that would do anything for you!
Never happy
OT (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 4, 2017
The over all feel at the hospital is grumpy. Nurses constantly swearing at nurses station. They have been messing with paychecks and employees hours, ruining any bit of employee satisfaction. My management team is full of condescending and arrogant women. Would not recommend to my worst enemy.
Pros
Minimal hours to qualify for benefits
Cons
Everything else
I love the work.
Histology technician (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 1, 2017
I love the work. Staying busy and doing things correctly is very important to me. I love helping people and doing things that matter to someone's life.
Pros
health insurance and pay
Cons
short breaks and third shift hours
Different company
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 25, 2017
When I worked there, the company was more employee-oriented. I can't help but feel that everyone is just a number now. Short-staffed and overworked. Employees are not as happy as they once were.
Takes excellent care of their patients
Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 8, 2017
Good place to work, great benefits. The department that I work in is very family friendly. The staff that I work with go above and beyond for each and everyone of our patients.
Great place to work.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 8, 2017
OSF is a phenomenal place to work. The sisters there genuinely appreciate your hard work. This is a great starter job for young people who don't really know what they want to go to school for.
Pros
They always have someone to help.
Cons
Managment
Great teaching, well rounded hosptial to work and grow at.
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 31, 2017
Great place to work if you like heavy patient loads and fast pace. I have learned most of all I know and have obtained most of my experience from this hospital from the great staff. It is a great teaching hospital and overall cares about their patients. I feel that they could take their employees work health into a little more consideration as far as patient loads and injuries of workers, but other than that I have no other real complaints.
Workforce was very versatile
Surgery Support Specialist Technician II (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 22, 2017
A huge reason I loved working in the surgery recovery room as a surgery support technican II was I got to see and participate in so many activities. No one patient was a like so this enabled me to be on my toes and I loved it. I loved the fast paced work environment. I enjoyed how the nurses trusted me in the fact they could yell out five different things and they knew they were going to get done. I was able to be very versatile with my job including when my supervisor would come up to me and ask if I could take on more responsibility. I think became a lead S.M.A.R.T. (Safe, Moving, And, Repositioning, Team). I love learning new aspects of the jobs like phelbotomy and simply just relating to each patient in their own certain ways.
A typical day at work depended on the surgery cases really. Some times we would have a lot of kids and then others we would have geriatric patients that were confused. I've dealt with combative, dementia, handicapped and patients of all ages. I would assist nurses in each cuble when a patient came in and hooked them up to a monitor, made sure their saturations were high enough and also if they showed any distress, I would stay by my nurses side in order for them to chart. I don't think I could type up a list of everything I've learned about this job but the top three would be: Have patience, because you don't know what that patient is going through in their life at that moment. Show empathy because people are scared! Surgery is and can be a scary thing. And lastly, make the patient feel like they are your number one priority. I have seen this done
  more... and it makes anxiety levels go down and just simply holding their hand is a comfort message I liked to you. The hardest part of my job was honestly trying to please every nurse. I was the only day shift teck and most of the times I was successful at this, I believe we all have off days and just need to take a couple nice deep breaths. The most enjoyable part of my job, well I wish I could narrow it down to one: 1. Seeing the smile on kids faces when they wake up and the're in no pain! And then when I give them stickers, their's eyes light up! 2. The simple gesture of holding ones hand (no matter what the age) and comforting them to know everything is going to be alright. Empathy can go such a long way! 3. When it has been a horribly busy day without lunch and few of my co-workers come up to me and thank me for busting my butt all day, just makes me smile. A simply thank you for all your hard work can go along way for a person. So knowing that I'm verbally appreciated almost always makes my day!  less
Pros
Coworkers cared for each other, Manager was generous with vacation
Cons
Sometimes no breaks, high census that we couldn't keep up with
Enjoyed my job!
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 14, 2017
As apart of the OSF Ministry, I learned so much and I made the best professional choice, by becoming an employee here! Always made you feel as though you are apart of team!
great place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 21, 2016
Great place to work but they are medical facility and are open 365 days a year. You may be require to be on swing shifts which can cause a work life balance struggle for some.
Pros
environment
Cons
shift work
Lot of flexibiility
Clinical Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 17, 2016
Lot of flexibility; however, there are times where having a clinicial nutrition manager is needed...
Great hospital to work for
ANTEPARTUM REGISTERED/POSTPARTUM NURSE (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 28, 2016
Great hospital to work for. So many different areas to work in and people are very friendly and helpful. Continuing education available.
Well rounded experience
student physical therapist (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILApril 26, 2016
Everyone at this location was very welcoming and eager to assist in any and all learning opportunities. My clinical instructor and all other employees volunteered to share their expertise in the various sections of the hospital so I had a well rounded experience.