Osmose Utilities Services Employee Reviews

All the w**nies with bad review dont like to work hard
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2016
I have been working for Osmose for 2.5 yrs. The work is hard but rewarded with bonuses. I avg. $28/hr but sometimes can be quite more. If you have illegals working for you fire them. You hire and fire your crew not the supervisors. Crew members start at $11 and top out at $16 plus bonus. My crew average 16-17 per hr. And are grateful to make that much digging holes and filling them. Not to mention as much OT as you want. Most the reviews are prolly from people with poor work ethic. I am home at least every weekend but mostly every night. Benefits are pretty good. 401k matches half, holiday pay, cell discount and reimbursement, vacation etc etc. Best company have worked for and plan on retiring here in 33 more yrs.
Pros
the harder you work the more you make. how it should be
Cons
cant think of one.....maybe company uniforms would be nice.
My opinion, on my experience.
Foreman (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 15, 2016
I left this company for a few simple reasons. I was given workers that are illegally in this country with false documents. Management does not follow set guidelines, so when traveling to different regions, it is very stressful and frustrating, costing bonus pay. Poor communication within company and with third party contracts causing embarrassment when mistakes are made. Worst of all when I asked for solutions to these issues, they are not addressed and it was blown off.
Do not work for this company. They have been in business for over 50 years and they cannot fix very simple problems. You will be miserable and regret working here. You will feel bad for fellow employees that cannot leave and better themselves.
Pros
None, they do not pay perdium, they call it your hotel room.
Cons
Underpaid, especially the laborers. 10-12$ hr to leave home for weeks??
Challenging but rewarding..
General Foreman/Superintendent (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 18, 2016
Lets be honest no job is easy. Osmose is a job that requires a lot of travel, but you know this going in.. The work is challenging managing daily operations, crew members, payroll. Compensation is fair and hitting your weekly production goals are not hard. I have read the other reviews that bash the company but i have had nothing but success and opportunities. The travel is hard, especially having a family but other than that there is lots of room for advancement .
Management does there best to keep you home when there is work in your area but it is never a given that you will be there long. All in all Osmose is a good company if your willing to work hard..
Pros
Weekly Bonus, Company truck, Paid Hotel
Cons
Work/Home Balance
great place
Groundsmen (Former Employee) –  Madera, CAJuly 7, 2015
lots of traveling. but learn a big aspect to the utility work place and how to safely maintain the work place. and its a nation wide job were you meet lots of interesting people
Pros
great pay and learn lots about utilty
Cons
gone alot
avoid at all cost
Supervising Foreman (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2015
bad experiences ,
dishonest employees
loyalty not a known word to management
unpredictable work and never know where you are going to travel to work till last minute or if you do don't expect to go there until you actually leave
Pros
leaving
Cons
getting hired
Out of town work, minimal pay, no benefits
inspector (Former Employee) –  Hinton, WVJanuary 27, 2015
You work under one foreman who controls his crew. starting of you do most of the grunt work without any benefits and hardly no job in advancement. A lot of layoffs during the winter months.
Worst Company I've Ever Worked For
Foreman (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 11, 2014
Pass, unless you need a place to live till u find something better.
A progresive company
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 23, 2014
Busy all day, multitasking. Usually, J/E, Invoices , Account analysis or Expense reports. problem solving is a hugh daily task. Multiple Accounting Programs are used to accomplish that,

Office personnel are friendly and courteous with a team approach to assigned tasks.
Pros
wholesome enviroment
Cons
cumbersome software programs
Warning
foreman (Former Employee) –  U.S.A.December 11, 2013
Heavy, heavy travel. Osmose does not care about family. High turn over ratio. Full of empty promises. OK for young guys with no family or life. Micro manages employees. My advice is to pick another career.
Pros
company pays for hotel room.
Cons
never see family. micro managed. Empty promises.
promised things and didnt recieve any of them
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2012
Drove to jobsite, managed my crew, did work available for that day
I learned pole inspection and pole restoration
Management was shady with empty promises
good co workeres
working in the sun all day lifting heavy equipment all day
getting the bonuses at the end of the week when you produced well
Pros
paid for hotel room
Cons
empty promises
Productive company with room for freedom and flexibility
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2012
I worked for Osmose part time as a crew member and then was promoted and worked as a foreman for close to a year. I had a great experience with Osmose. It was nice being able to set my own hours and have the flexibility to work overtime when I wanted. I enjoyed the system in place for achieving norm each work and for production bonuses when the crew exceeded norm during a week. Earning a production bonus was a normal experience and I believe that the system is set up so that foreman are able to achieve bonus pay frequently.

Osmose is outdoors work and would be perfectly suited to anyone who likes to travel and enjoys working outdoors. There are times where you do have to do paperwork yes, but you can get paid for those hours that you put in doing such work.

The managers are understanding and try to keep foreman close to home if the work is available and they want to be close to home.

Overall Osmose gave me great leadership experience and I value greatly what I learned while working there. I felt like I was paid fairly and treated with respect within the organization. I would highly recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
travel, motel/hotel reimbursement
Pass on the "Foreman" or "Crew Member" positions.
Foreman (Former Employee) –  NationwideFebruary 24, 2012
Have you seen these adds posted all over the place from this employer who always seems to be hiring? I worked for Osmose as a Foreman for just over one year. I was told by a veteran employee that new hires generally leave within 6 months, so I suppose I actually beat the odds.

The biggest issue with this company is that they don't pay their employees for "nonproductive" hours worked without prior approval from middle management. This includes truck, tool, and equipment maintenance; loading and unloading supplies; processing payroll; etc. Basically, if you're not digging or slinging pesticides you're not getting paid. Middle managers are salaried plus bonuses, so definitely jump on anything above the Foreman position.

Also, the administrative burden of the business is placed on the Foreman, i.e. new hire applications, W-4's, e-Verifies, and all supporting documentation. This is on top of daily payroll processing and pesticide treatment reports which is all deemed "nonproductive," and hence, unpaid. You have to be good at paperwork too, because Crew Members generally earn $10 an hour with no medical, dental, or eye care benefits, which means you will always be hiring.

You should like to travel. While motels and gas are paid, meals are generally not reimbursed. Getting bonus money is technically possible if you can exceed their lofty production quotas. Keep in mind that utility poles are often in swamps, inside fences, on private property, or in the middle of nowhere. As you and your crew are digging them up to smear on the pesticides, watch out for vicious dogs and angry yard
  more... loving homeowners. Homeowners are angry for good reason. If you read the pesticide warnings, some of the stuff on the truck is "highly toxic."

Technically, the company is employee owned. However direct profit sharing/ownership was largely eliminated during the Enron fiasco. Basically, the owners are middle management and above now. During my year there, I never met a female or non-white middle manager. However I was told, by that same veteran employee, that a rich guy from India owns most of the private shares.

Although most utility crews across the country are unionized, Osmose is a nonunion company.

Conclusion: Stay away unless you've exhausted all other potential sources of employment and your unemployment benefits are running out or expired.
Pros
motels, gas, company truck.
Cons
no "nonproductive" pay for foremen, lack of benefits for crew members, heavy extended travel.