OSRAM SYLVANIA Employee Reviews in United States

Historical change/shift into LED technology throughout Lighting Industry
Commodity Business Head / Americas Region (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MADecember 31, 2015
Required/necessary restructuring and downsizing on-going. The downsizing continues to inject job structure instability throughout the organization: very lean, high demanding work environment.
Pros
good benefits, potential opportunities after restructuring is complete/stabilized.
Cons
central management control in Munich Germany, with strong cultural influence and control
Personal Growth and Development
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  PRSeptember 17, 2015
A company where I had the opportunity of growing as a person and as a professional. Position advancement was always available for me. Benefits like the opportunity of going back to school to complete degree was available. Being part of and working with other departments to improve process and product quality. Being trusted by Management with important decisions and being handed control of important tasks was very rewarding. Grateful for the opportunity of a transfer after first plant shut down.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes making tough decisions where others were affected. Also, being part of a plant shut down after 13 years in the company.
Pros
Great benefits
Rewarding, Fun Job While it Lasted
Driver/Educator/Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAMarch 1, 2016
Typical Day: Started at 5AM setting up show for the Lightmobile,ran show until about 2:30PM, boxed everything up and traveled up to 200 miles to the next show on the next day.

Talked to customers about lighting, light bulbs, energy savings, etc.

Management: Stood behind me anytime they were needed, helped me grow.

Co-workers: Always supportive, willing to lend a hand. A great sales team, worked well together. Were always happy to see me at the shows and made sure my stay in the district was always went as smooth as possible.

Hardest part: Being gone 4 - 5 months from home, spending the winters in a warm climate, being away from my family for a long time.

Most enjoyable part: Meeting customers, solving problems, working with a sales team, working with designers, retrofitting the Lightmobile for the next season, etc.
One of the most fun jobs I've ever had. Very rewarding!
Nice place to work
Lightbulb Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  Saint Marys, PANovember 20, 2015
I loved what I did there, running a packaging machine. The coworkers are awesome and friendly. Great pay. As with any plant you will have some drama. But keep your nose out of it and you will be fine. Don't believe everything the supervisors tell you. Watch your back, work hard and take it day by day, not for granted.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
management
Excellent place to work.
RN,OHRS (Current Employee) –  Versailles, KYAugust 19, 2015
Very open environment to utilize autonomy.
Excellent support from the management team.
Awesome co-workers...team players all across the board.
Always places safety first.
The hardest part of the job is being the liaison between management and the hourly employees, but seems to be the most rewarding.

I would have stayed the longevity of my career with an offer of full time with benefits.. which is the only reason I have to seek work elsewhere. I will hit the 5 year milestone in September 2015 as a temporary, but unable to move forward with the company.
Pros
Flexible, great management team.
Cons
No temp to hire option
Osram
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAJuly 7, 2016
Osram Sylvania is going through many changes right now. As a result, there is much confusion and stress which can sometimes lead to a toxic environment. Most of the company's direction is dictated via Germany however, the goals are often not clear to the average employee. The company has many long time employees which has some advantages but several key disadvantages. It seems that poor performing employees are protected and work is not divided evenly. This company has potential to be great but it seems status quo has had a great impact.
Pros
Strong/large company, financially sound, good training opportunities
Cons
Poor work/life balance, poor communication - particularly amongst management
Great company.....until Osram Sylvania took over
Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJJuly 2, 2016
I worked under the Encelium brand (a Canadian lighting controls company) which had been acquired by Osram Sylvania.

The people were all really nice and very helpful, especially the Canadian-based Team Leader who's more or less a supervisor for the Encelium Applications Engineering department -- he's very knowledgeable, extremely patient, and absolutely hilarious! Other co-workers (from both the Encelium and Traxon brand were also very pleasant to deal with).

The job itself was a lot of fun -- it entailed doing CAD design electrical layouts of architectural floor plans, as well as mark-ups and estimating (i.e. BOMs, quotes, etc.).

A perfectly summarized analogy from my fellow teammates regarding the Osram Sylvania management and management style was like that of a leaking bucket -- instead of fixing what's actually wrong, they simply kept plugging the holes each time a leak would spring up.
Pros
Encelium group's Team Leader; fellow co-workers; office environment
Cons
Osram Sylvania management
Enjoy working for them.
Tool and Die Maker / Mechanic (Former Employee) –  York, PAFebruary 14, 2016
Was with Osram Sylvania for 1 1/2 years as a temp. then almost 20 as an Osram Sylvania employee. Great Benefits and wages. Plant closed. Miss working there.

Go to work, do your job. As a production mechanic you were always busy. Keeping machines running to get production out. If they were all running, then you could get your pm work done.I enjoy staying busy, the days go faster. Enjoyed the people I worked with. We worked as a team.
Pros
good work place
Cons
dirty place to work. But that's ok too
liked the job
Quality Technician Grade (Former Employee) –  OSRAM warren,paJuly 16, 2016
I loved to do the different quality jobs.
Was very fun, I got to do a lot of different things.

I liked my direct supervisor.
But the one above didn't like me.
She said I was mean.
I did my job, she was the mean one.
She never listened when you had something to say.

I loved the coworkers and am still in contact with a lot of them.

Hardest part was the animosity with the management to employees.

Love the people
Traveled some and learned a lot about other manufacturing companies.
and what happened to our product once it left.
Pros
good insurance and pay.
Cons
some management was so rude.
Unstable enviroment
Staff Engineer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 4, 2015
Use to be a great company to work for, but foreign competition is having a huge impact on stability. Would like to continue, but not certain of the future. Great co-workers.
Pros
competitive benefits package
Cons
Unstable job situation

Want to know more about OSRAM SYLVANIA?

Ask a question
great people, difficult challenges ahead
Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
Great people, difficult industry challenges ahead. Dedicated lighting professionals who seek lighting that is in best of interest of customers, working culture of great integrity.
Overall Good Work Environment
Credit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAMarch 23, 2016
The job had clear direction of job duties. Management was accessible when needed. Very friendly work environment. It was a job that was challenging enough to keep you busy and thinking. Overall it was a good experience.
Great Environment, Great pay
Par Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KYAugust 11, 2015
Loved the skills I used as a Mechanic at Osram. Some of the best management and co-workers I have ever had. Osram allowed me to take advantage of additional education opportunities that helped make me a solid and viable Mechanic. I enjoyed maintaining and reaching set quotas and goals daily and the satisfaction we shared of a well made product we was proud of. Each day was different as the equipment's response would vary day to day making each one different than the next.
Pros
Good benefits, great environment
Cons
Job reductions, shift
World Class Manufacturer
Mechanical Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJuly 21, 2015
Osram Sylvania provided a challenging and ever changing environment for which to hone key skills necessary to support large scale manufacturing needs. Seasonal demands presented ample opportunities to take advantage of overtime. Management always strived to communicate with the work force and to show appreciation through company sponsored events. Educational reimbursement was available for those wishing to participate.
Pros
Terrific hourly compensation and benifits package
Cons
Global restructuring forcing plant closures
My co-workers
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 31, 2016
The people is one of the most important assets that every company has. Working with the people is the key for learning. Each individual contributes with experience and all together the experience and expertise increase. Said that, productivity is the result of the joined efforts.
Pros
Team effort
Cons
personal issues
fun
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 17, 2016
really cool place to work, yes i had its communication problems, but you got though it. lots of over time offered. Vacation could have been more fair, they actually took two weeks from you and they told you when you had to take it.
great place
Silverlight Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rhode Island, RIApril 23, 2016
great place sad that it closed, really cared about their employee's work environment was great people were awesome. we were like family. Management had great ethics co-workers miss them along with Management. Enjoyed it the hardest part of the job was being told that they were closing.
Pros
great place
Cons
that it closed
Management is kind of behing the curve
Senior Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJAugust 10, 2016
WIth Germany controlling everything but middle management not able to share all the information the company is just floundering
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
poor management
Good company, quality products
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 6, 2016
Osram was a great company to work for. I had the best manager ever and I was proud to represent the brand.

I enjoyed the challenges of bringing in new clients.

My boss recognized the need for work life balance.
Pros
Quality products, great leader
Cons
Too much change
Poor Management
Production Attendant (Current Employee) –  Versailles, KyAugust 10, 2015
Great pay, poor management. Culture needs attention badly with regards to women in the workplace. Works on the good ole boys system of promotion.