OSRAM SYLVANIA

OSRAM SYLVANIA Employee Reviews

Great Pay and Great Benefits
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Exeter, NHJuly 12, 2013
Typical day at work is 8-10 hrs in a salary position.
Learn something every day about the business.
Much of management could use some brush up training on people skills. But to credit management, they are forever sending out surveys.
Co Workers are typical of any Corporation.
Hardest part of the job is the ever growing load, due to downsizing.
Learning new balancing acts every week can wear on you, but the challenge is great as well.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the gratification of your accomplishments.
Stable long term lighting company now being dismantled by goverment regulation and LED technolagy.
Product Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, KYApril 17, 2015
Great place to work if not for the instability of a declining market and 12 hour shifts. Advanced hi speed equipment is state of art. Quality employees are well paid, knowledgeable, and family oriented. benefit package is good. Management enables teams to make necessary improvements and is generally supportive.
Pros
Reasionable benifits and Vacation time.
Cons
12 hr shifts. continuing reduction in force due to declining warket
I am highly motivated , dynamic and have self iniciative.
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  PRMay 29, 2015
a typical day at work is accomplish my duty assignment 100%.
Over the 11+ years I have learn to be a professional in the manufacturing field. I have manage various department such as line production , final packaging and QA department.
My co-workers for me are very important they are the key of manufacturing production without them we cannot accomplish the companies goals. I like complicated job it keep me motivated and active I enjoy everyday of the job.
Very Large multi-layered company
Product Marketing Manager - Controls (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MADecember 31, 2012
struggling with the disruptive technology of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). Eroding base of traditional light sources (fluorescent, incandescent, HID).
in preparations for a spin-off from Siemens, thus undergoing belt-tightening, balance-sheet spiffing, and hard looks at all things semi-profitable.
Currently laying off 4700 workers in North America.
Pros
respected brand, products
Cons
too big to move swiftly. sales force unable to sell systems, only components.
Great company for advancing your career
Maintenance Planner/Purchasing/Mechanical Tech. (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 29, 2015
Good company with great benefits. Company pays for schooling. Matching 401K. Great for advancing employees from within the company. Company encourages every employee to take advantage of opportunity to advance their career. Constant training available both inside and outside the company. Safety and compliance are number 1 goal.
Pros
100% tuition reimbursement
Cons
plant relocating out of the country
Working environment has deteriated over the past seven years
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJuly 19, 2013
Moral is low do to downsizing and making the employees do the work of 3 people which is resulting to burnout.

Benefits are being reduced i.e.: there is no longer a pension plan,
Health care is more expensive. Even the yearly employee appreciation day has been reduced to hamburgers and hot dogs (if the employees are lucky).
Pros
air conditioning, a cafeteria in-house
Cons
healthcare increases, overworked employees
Overall Osram was a company that provided for me.
Machine, conveyor and assembly operator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHApril 29, 2015
This company is very strict and has high expectations. Overall I did enjoy my job. I did learn how to work under fast paced conditions. I also learned many skills including working well with other people; team work. Stress became a of part of working at Osram Sylvania because it is very demanding.
Pros
Good Pay. Paid holidays and vacations.
Cons
Management placed extreme expectations on every one.
Very good place to work but no ping-pong table.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Central Falls, RIAugust 17, 2014
I work a rotating schedule. The company has provided tuition reimbursment for my education. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. Nice group of managers that are more than willing to work with me. Co-workers are all fantastic. The hardest part of the job would be the rotating shifts. The best thing about working here is the people I work with and the challenge of trouble-shooting equipement.
supportive team with varied responsiblities
Financial representative (Current Employee) –  massachusettsSeptember 2, 2015
Fun team environment with supportive management and co-workers. I have learned new software and grown new skills. I love that it is not the same thing everyday or even the same thing all day long, priorities and emergencies pulling you every which way makes sure you are never bored or feel like you are on an assembly line and that is something that I love.
Pros
freebies
Cons
they are moving
Good career advancement and competitive salary.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Versailles, KYDecember 17, 2014
I worked there for almost 20 years and it was a great work environment and there was a lot of great and talented co-workers. The last few years I was there a lot of management turned over and the stability and work environment went down hill.
Pros
salary, benefits, and advancement opportunities.
Cons
management and the glass plant got changed to a cost center.
Past Leader, Me-Too Future
Principle Engineer (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MADecember 16, 2014
Good company with a lot of history. Increasingly controlled by parent OSRAM management in Germany which has a bit of Not-Invented-Here attitude and increasing (somewhat stifling) control on R&D resulting in less innovation in US facilities.

Historically an industry leader but recent focus on cheap "me-too" products is a disturbing trend.
Pros
stable employment
Cons
lost focus on development
Fast moving, stable company
Senior Sales Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNOctober 6, 2014
Working for SYLVANIA has provided me with the work/life balance I was seeking. I am able to work from home with monthly travel. The downside to working remotely is the opportunity to continue to grow within the organization. I would need to relocate in order to move to the next level of leadership within the organization.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
limited growth opportunities
Don't work here
Solid State Lighting (SSL) Quality Mgr (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJanuary 3, 2015
This company (or at least my division) was highly dysfunctional and overly political. I wasn't told what I should be working on and then I was told that I wasn't working on the right thing. Stay away from this place!!!!!

What more can I say. The Solid State Lighting Division was not a good place to work. It felt like you were always being monitored. I may sound a bit paranoid, but I'm not.
One very good thing working for a company as large as Sylvania. If you've a skill set they need they try their best to keep you.
Accepted the position of Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 9, 2015
I wouldn't have put in 30+ years ( 32 if you count temp) if they hadn't kept me challenged. They were able to see my skill sets and employ them to the betterment of us both.
Pros
Relativly stable enviorment.
Cons
Some times they get hung up in the whole Corporate Policy conundrum.
Excellent Pay and Benefits - Terrible Culture
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAFebruary 13, 2014
outstanding pay and benefits. Bonuses are unmatched.
while individual people are very nice, the general atmosphere is toxic and contentious. Management is an assembly of "lifers" that only know the lighting industry but it is not clear they would have any other value than longevity.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
environment and management
I was able to participate on many teams which allowed a line of communication through many levels of management.
Mechanic / Operator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 25, 2013
The overall morale was at an all time low when I left. Management created a hostile work environment pinning co-workers against each other. I loved the job otherwise.
Pros
i was able to gain knowledge that i can transfer in future employment.
Cons
the negative work environment.
Component Engineer (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MAJune 17, 2012
The engineers I worked with were friendly and knowledgeable. They all were willing to mentor junior personnel. The atmosphere was relaxed but every one hard work to complete tasks on time. The management was focused on creating products the consumers desired. They created a very productive but enjoyable work environment. This is a very well-run facility.
Struggling to compete
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAJune 10, 2014
Company is now run by Japanese parent organization. Very different than 15 years ago. Use to be good work life balance. Use to have the best products in the market but failed to capitalize on the market shift. Struggled to keep up. Great co-workers but it could be hard to climb the ladder. Best part of the job was the people and the products. Worst part was the management
NICE place to work
Laser Technician (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MAJune 29, 2015
I worked in Beverly as a contractor in the Laser area I have never come across a group of people who get along so well and do not fight and back stab one another. They all do their work and help one another out. Although my commute was long it was worth going into work and doing my job and getting along with everyone of all levels.
Pros
Time flexibility
Cons
being a contractor
Remote Service tech
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  jessup mdNovember 20, 2015
drove service truck daily worked on lighting
Didn't learn nothing I didn't already know
bosses were kinda rude towards people
co workers were good people
hardest part of the job was they really don't care about you they just kept pieling up the work on you and telling get it done.
best part was driving seeing different things.
Pros
driving
Cons
Bad managment