OSRAM SYLVANIA Employee Reviews

Modern day sweat shop
Employee (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough NHNovember 29, 2016
Avoid at all costs!! Management treats people like machines working them to death for there gain and profits forcing long term employees with pensions who don't want to change careers now to work with only two days off a month Truly taking advantage of a small local community Very Sad 😢
Pros
none found
Cons
Horrible environment
Old News
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MANovember 21, 2016
Stuck in the past, slow, bureaucratic. Some portions of the company are running smoother but other portions cannot escape their german overlords way of working in 9 million processes.
love the people and the mechanical aspects of my job there
automation line mechanic (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, NHNovember 16, 2016
since employment at osram, i have met a great team of fellow employees, that continue to be a great part of my day. i have been on second shift since my start. i work in a lean manufacturing enviroment that has its pros and cons, but as always effective in my day to day activities.
Pros
payrate, people
Cons
distance of travel, shift
Average experience, neither good nor bad
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAOctober 14, 2016
The management likes to keep things too much under their control leaving very little space for employees to innovate or think outside the box. Not an ideal place to work for if you're looking for a technical role.
Osram
Manufacturing Technician/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Central Falls, RIOctober 14, 2016
7 day rotating swing shifts. Busy and challenging. Great on the job training for people who loved a challenge and could solve problems quickly. Company went out of business 9-2014
High paced manufacturing facility with great benefits
MECHANICAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NHOctober 11, 2016
Learn many skills in manufacturing, with high speed production machines. Very competitive wage and benefit package, with training provided. Can be difficult at times, with excessive lean manufacturing situations with a limited staff on hand.
Pros
Treat employees fairly, competitive wage package, 401K
Cons
High stress environment, excessive lean staffing situations
Friendly, safety oriented workplace
Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Central Falls R.I.September 28, 2016
I started at Osram/Sylvania in 1979 as a material handler/inspector. Then drove a fork truck in the mixing and melting dept. Then drove a fork truck in the warehouse loading trailers and trains. The trained to be a shift mechanic on rotating shifts and on call 24-7, Then trained to operate glass forming equipment and was also mechanic as well. The plant closed and my last day there was 9-26-2014.
Pros
We had an excellent vacation pay and paid holidays.
Cons
I worked rotating shifts for 14 years - it does take a lot out of a person, but the pay and the work was very good.
Supervisor
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wellsboro, PA 16901August 31, 2016
I wish that the company wasn't closing their doors. I learned a lot about SAP and lean. It was a great place to work for. I was a learning experience, managing a union.
Pros
growth
changing climate
Process Engineering technician / crew leader (Current Employee) –  Exeter, NHAugust 25, 2016
Company in change, sometimes in turmoil, under staffed. most days are spent confused and trying to correct the wrongs.
fun
Relief Operator (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 17, 2016
really cool place to work, yes i had its communication problems, but you got though it. lots of over time offered. Vacation could have been more fair, they actually took two weeks from you and they told you when you had to take it.
Management is kind of behing the curve
Senior Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJAugust 10, 2016
WIth Germany controlling everything but middle management not able to share all the information the company is just floundering
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
poor management
Osram Sylvania
Industrial/Commercial Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INJuly 22, 2016
Casual office - good team players - good management - hardest was some of the stress - most enjoyable were my accounts, I really enjoyed my customers.
Pros
Great Product
Cons
Stress
liked the job
Quality Technician Grade (Former Employee) –  OSRAM warren,paJuly 16, 2016
I loved to do the different quality jobs.
Was very fun, I got to do a lot of different things.

I liked my direct supervisor.
But the one above didn't like me.
She said I was mean.
I did my job, she was the mean one.
She never listened when you had something to say.

I loved the coworkers and am still in contact with a lot of them.

Hardest part was the animosity with the management to employees.

Love the people
Traveled some and learned a lot about other manufacturing companies.
and what happened to our product once it left.
Pros
good insurance and pay.
Cons
some management was so rude.
Osram
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAJuly 7, 2016
Osram Sylvania is going through many changes right now. As a result, there is much confusion and stress which can sometimes lead to a toxic environment. Most of the company's direction is dictated via Germany however, the goals are often not clear to the average employee. The company has many long time employees which has some advantages but several key disadvantages. It seems that poor performing employees are protected and work is not divided evenly. This company has potential to be great but it seems status quo has had a great impact.
Pros
Strong/large company, financially sound, good training opportunities
Cons
Poor work/life balance, poor communication - particularly amongst management
Great company.....until Osram Sylvania took over
Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJJuly 2, 2016
I worked under the Encelium brand (a Canadian lighting controls company) which had been acquired by Osram Sylvania.

The people were all really nice and very helpful, especially the Canadian-based Team Leader who's more or less a supervisor for the Encelium Applications Engineering department -- he's very knowledgeable, extremely patient, and absolutely hilarious! Other co-workers (from both the Encelium and Traxon brand were also very pleasant to deal with).

The job itself was a lot of fun -- it entailed doing CAD design electrical layouts of architectural floor plans, as well as mark-ups and estimating (i.e. BOMs, quotes, etc.).

A perfectly summarized analogy from my fellow teammates regarding the Osram Sylvania management and management style was like that of a leaking bucket -- instead of fixing what's actually wrong, they simply kept plugging the holes each time a leak would spring up.
Pros
Encelium group's Team Leader; fellow co-workers; office environment
Cons
Osram Sylvania management
good people poor business vision
Process Coach (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NHJune 24, 2016
decent pay but terrible work/life balance. you will work 13 days in a row and get 1 off. good products and poeple but a severe dissconnect from management
My co-workers
Product Line Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 31, 2016
The people is one of the most important assets that every company has. Working with the people is the key for learning. Each individual contributes with experience and all together the experience and expertise increase. Said that, productivity is the result of the joined efforts.
Pros
Team effort
Cons
personal issues
Fun place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NHMay 31, 2016
This place pays very well and has a lot of opportunities. You can advance quickly if you work hard. The people have very negative attitudes though.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Negative attitudes
Good company, quality products
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 6, 2016
Osram was a great company to work for. I had the best manager ever and I was proud to represent the brand.

I enjoyed the challenges of bringing in new clients.

My boss recognized the need for work life balance.
Pros
Quality products, great leader
Cons
Too much change
great place
Silverlight Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rhode Island, RIApril 23, 2016
great place sad that it closed, really cared about their employee's work environment was great people were awesome. we were like family. Management had great ethics co-workers miss them along with Management. Enjoyed it the hardest part of the job was being told that they were closing.
Pros
great place
Cons
that it closed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSRAM SYLVANIA. Our community is ready to answer.