OSRAM SYLVANIA

OSRAM SYLVANIA Employee Reviews

good place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee), wincherster kyMarch 13, 2015
Pros: the money
Cons: diane landry
easy good job until they hired Diane Landry over the halogen side. easy going. most of the supervisors are easy to get along with. dont like the union but thats not Sylvanias fault.
Lighting company stuck in the past, Poor Management....stay away!
Sr Sales Rep (Former Employee), SoutheastMarch 5, 2015
Pros: benefits were ok
Cons: terrible management, nepotism and little room for career advancement
Osram-Sylvania was at one time a good company to work for before Siemens spun Sylvania off in 2013 and Germany started managing North America. Company was/is slow to the LED market and the decision to not buy a fixture company will haunt this company for years to come as sales are moving from traditional lighting products to LED fixtures.

The sales management team and upper management in Danvers, MA is weak and wreaks of nepotism and the good old boys club mentality with little room for advancement unless you area relative or member of the good old boys club. Example: Southeast Regional Sales Manager is nephew of former North America General Manager and was incompetent at best.

The company recently laid off 7,800 employees worldwide and employees in the U.S. were notified on 9/29/14 they were being laid off effective 10/1/14 and company would not pay your severance pay(which was very weak) unless you signed an unfair release statement. Company did not use the WARN Act in the U.S. A 5 man committee which consisted of the "good old boys club" in Danvers decided who would be let go in the U.S. and of course they protected "their people". Sales management team wreaks of favoritism and the Southeast manager played favorites, was incompetent and was responsible for loss of millions of dollars in sales via loss of distribution and major end user business.
co workers were great to work with but management was very poor
forklift operator/line production inspector (Former Employee), Winchester, KYMarch 3, 2015
Pros: healthcare, co workers
Cons: management poor
The work was easy but stressful, management was very poor. The company over all was unstable to work for. It was the worst company I ever work for. The only good thing was working with the other employees and the healthcare was great.
great place to work
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee), Hillsboro, NHFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: good work enviorment
Cons: politics
I was very happy with this job. Good Healthcare, vacation time, gym to work out. They cared about family. All around good place to work.
Downward spiral
Chemical/Process Engineer (Former Employee), Versailles, KYFebruary 19, 2015
There is no future here, especially for engineers. The leadership is old-school, compliance by intimidation, and the people in charge have ZERO technical background.
fast paced
Production Mechanic IV (Former Employee), Manchester, NHFebruary 18, 2015
fast paced environment, challenging equipment, local management cared for employees but all decisions were made by corporate in Germany, plant closed to send the work to Mexico
Felt Like Osram was a second home for me
Last title there was Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), 900 Tyrone Pike, Versailles, KY 40383February 16, 2015
Pros: great people, nice salary and benefits, nice working environment
Cons: once the politics of work were over, it was great
I enjoyed my experience with Osram. The employees were not only people I worked with but my second family. I feel Osram made a very good product and would work there again, if I were to start over again at 18 years old. Hardest part of my job was to ensure that our entire department worked as a whole. Management treated each of us employees the same without prejudice. I enjoyed learning each job I performed over the years.
Productive place to work
Assembler (Former Employee), Winchester, KYFebruary 14, 2015
A lot of variety in the job

Hours were good

Hardest part of the job were placing the tiny parts

Co-workers were nice

Learned how to make light bulbs
Great company for advancing your career
Maintenance Planner/Purchasing/Mechanical Tech. (Current Employee), Manchester, NHJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: 100% tuition reimbursement
Cons: plant relocating out of the country
Good company with great benefits. Company pays for schooling. Matching 401K. Great for advancing employees from within the company. Company encourages every employee to take advantage of opportunity to advance their career. Constant training available both inside and outside the company. Safety and compliance are number 1 goal.
Great job
Senior Lighting Technician (Nov (Former Employee), Santa Fe Springs, CAJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: worked by myself
Cons: red tape
Way to much Red Tape to get jobs done. Job Managment was Micro Managed.
Very unstable outlook due to Government Legislation
Production Manager (Former Employee), York, PAJanuary 16, 2015
This was an excellent career opportunity for me. My entire career had been in Finance. This position gave me production, sales, customer service, purchasing and plant management experience.
Fun but hard work
Non powered (Former Employee), Versailles, KYJanuary 15, 2015
I worked in the distribution center. So much better than in the lamp or glass. You can wear shorts and short sleeve shirts
Advancement and Options to Branch Out to Other Department Opportunities
Billing Administrator II (Former Employee), Exeter, NHJanuary 12, 2015
Medium to fast-paced work environment. Business casual for most departments. Management communicates with staff well, and co-workers work as a team and independently.
difficult environment
CSR/Document Administrator (Current Employee), hillsborough nhJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: work life balance is fine
Cons: training is poor and asking for assistance is met with resistance or ridicule
Long time employees having worked their way around the Company are not warm and happy with new outsiders. Territorial with work load/responsibilities. Not enough experts in key roles to keep business standardized
The view in a company as a Production Supervisor.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), PRJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: consideration went family time was needed.
Cons: constant shift changes.
Excellent work experience during the 20 years being part of the company .
Learned to work in different work environments and how to manage working under pressure.
Under went two plant shut downs and a plant transfer which helped me manage and understand changes needed to be made to save corporate benefits.
The hardest part of the job was making decisions that I knew would affect the employee status in a company, but needed to made for company sake.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing we had completed the goals we had set as a group.
My Review Osram Sylvania
Contractor (Current Employee), Wellsboro, PAJanuary 7, 2015
This is my first factory job. It is not what I am used to. I have learned a lot on the job such as driving a fork-lift truck.
Don't work here
Solid State Lighting (SSL) Quality Mgr (Former Employee), Danvers, MAJanuary 3, 2015
This company (or at least my division) was highly dysfunctional and overly political. I wasn't told what I should be working on and then I was told that I wasn't working on the right thing. Stay away from this place!!!!!

What more can I say. The Solid State Lighting Division was not a good place to work. It felt like you were always being monitored. I may sound a bit paranoid, but I'm not.
Good career advancement and competitive salary.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee), Versailles, KYDecember 17, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits, and advancement opportunities.
Cons: management and the glass plant got changed to a cost center.
I worked there for almost 20 years and it was a great work environment and there was a lot of great and talented co-workers. The last few years I was there a lot of management turned over and the stability and work environment went down hill.
Past Leader, Me-Too Future
Principle Engineer (Former Employee), Beverly, MADecember 16, 2014
Pros: stable employment
Cons: lost focus on development
Good company with a lot of history. Increasingly controlled by parent OSRAM management in Germany which has a bit of Not-Invented-Here attitude and increasing (somewhat stifling) control on R&D resulting in less innovation in US facilities.

Historically an industry leader but recent focus on cheap "me-too" products is a disturbing trend.
Great place to work . always changing and growing
Lamp maker/ Floater/ Process Coach (Current Employee), Hillsboro, NHDecember 2, 2014
Pros: the people you work with, ever changing and growing
Cons: the people, and some managers
It is a fast paced and ever changing world. Growing with the needs of the customers. The production workers are together 40-60 hours and week and form a family bond. I have been able to grow within the company. Taking classes both internal and external . Management encourages the people to do there best and rewards the people who do. The people of the production floor are what makes working there worth it. They are also the hardest part of working there. Not everyone can see eye to eye but its how you deal with change and keeping a positive attitude that will get you through it. I have been able to learn how to manage people organize the department I work in. Float to where I am needed when people are out. Earn the respect of my peers and managers.
Headquarters