OSRAM SYLVANIA Employee Reviews in United States

The people are great but management has no clue.
Incandescent Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saint Marys, PAJune 2, 2015
From one day to the next you don't know if you are going to have a job or not. Upper management does a very poor job. They are very behind the times when it comes to trying to develop new products. The employees on the floor are great to work with, some of them will go out of there way to help others while some will try to find a way around helping anyone. It is also very hard to advance here after you have reached a certain point. All in who you know.
Pros
Wages are competitive
Cons
Health care is over priced and poor
Fun place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NHMay 31, 2016
This place pays very well and has a lot of opportunities. You can advance quickly if you work hard. The people have very negative attitudes though.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
Negative attitudes
good people poor business vision
Process Coach (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NHJune 24, 2016
decent pay but terrible work/life balance. you will work 13 days in a row and get 1 off. good products and poeple but a severe dissconnect from management
Good people to work with
Experis - Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wellsboro, PAApril 14, 2016
Everyone was great to work with. Unfortunately, this location is closing this year. I am made to write more about his company due to Indeed's requirements, but I do not have any more to say about this company.
supportive team with varied responsiblities
Financial representative (Current Employee) –  massachusettsSeptember 2, 2015
Fun team environment with supportive management and co-workers. I have learned new software and grown new skills. I love that it is not the same thing everyday or even the same thing all day long, priorities and emergencies pulling you every which way makes sure you are never bored or feel like you are on an assembly line and that is something that I love.
Pros
freebies
Cons
they are moving
company was a fair place to work.
General Accountant (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MANovember 2, 2015
The company was fair in way of dealing with employees. A good place to work. Some managers were too rigid while others were very compassionite.
Benefits
Cons
Managers could be difficult
Great Co-op position
Co-op in Research and Development (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KYOctober 19, 2015
Osram is a very large company with a lot of room for career development. All the tools are there to better yourself and your career.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Stable long term lighting company now being dismantled by goverment regulation and LED technolagy.
Product Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, KYApril 17, 2015
Great place to work if not for the instability of a declining market and 12 hour shifts. Advanced hi speed equipment is state of art. Quality employees are well paid, knowledgeable, and family oriented. benefit package is good. Management enables teams to make necessary improvements and is generally supportive.
Pros
Reasionable benifits and Vacation time.
Cons
12 hr shifts. continuing reduction in force due to declining warket
great place to work
Utility Operator, Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Winchester, KYFebruary 17, 2016
Sylvania is reducing the workforce of this facility within the next few weeks. Over half the employees will be on layoff
Pros
gainshairing
Cons
layoffs
Relaxing, work atomsphere
Full Time Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westfield, INOctober 13, 2015
This office has a very open, relaxing, but hard working atmosphere. It is a great place to work but there is not room for advancement.
One very good thing working for a company as large as Sylvania. If you've a skill set they need they try their best to keep you.
Accepted the position of Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHNovember 9, 2015
I wouldn't have put in 30+ years ( 32 if you count temp) if they hadn't kept me challenged. They were able to see my skill sets and employ them to the betterment of us both.
Pros
Relativly stable enviorment.
Cons
Some times they get hung up in the whole Corporate Policy conundrum.
Good career advancement and competitive salary.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Versailles, KYDecember 17, 2014
I worked there for almost 20 years and it was a great work environment and there was a lot of great and talented co-workers. The last few years I was there a lot of management turned over and the stability and work environment went down hill.
Pros
salary, benefits, and advancement opportunities.
Cons
management and the glass plant got changed to a cost center.
Remote Service tech
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  jessup mdNovember 20, 2015
drove service truck daily worked on lighting
Didn't learn nothing I didn't already know
bosses were kinda rude towards people
co workers were good people
hardest part of the job was they really don't care about you they just kept pieling up the work on you and telling get it done.
best part was driving seeing different things.
Pros
driving
Cons
Bad managment
Great company to work for
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 21, 2012
Each day was something new and different, supporting the Senior Vice President, his staff and other members of the facility. Being a global company I had the opportunity to interact with different cultures. Working for a Senior Vice President I also had the opportunity to interact with all levels of management from the President down to the middle management, and hourly employees. I had the opportunity to learn many different things and become involved with multiple different departments during my employment. The people were great to work with and everyone was always helpful when asking for assitance with a project or when needing information. Due to the company business climate we were in constant change mode, forcing others to take on more responsibility but overall the most important part of my job was interacting with people and establishing a good repore with everyone. It made for a pleasant place to work.
Pros
execellent benefits
Cons
requirement of a 4 year college degree to be promoted despite having the years of experience
Great company for advancing your career
Maintenance Planner/Purchasing/Mechanical Tech. (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJanuary 29, 2015
Good company with great benefits. Company pays for schooling. Matching 401K. Great for advancing employees from within the company. Company encourages every employee to take advantage of opportunity to advance their career. Constant training available both inside and outside the company. Safety and compliance are number 1 goal.
Pros
100% tuition reimbursement
Cons
plant relocating out of the country
Lighting company stuck in the past, Poor Management....stay away!
Sr Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  SoutheastMarch 5, 2015
Osram-Sylvania was at one time a good company to work for before Siemens spun Sylvania off in 2013 and Germany started managing North America. Company was/is slow to the LED market and the decision to not buy a fixture company will haunt this company for years to come as sales are moving from traditional lighting products to LED fixtures.

The sales management team and upper management in Danvers, MA is weak and wreaks of nepotism and the good old boys club mentality with little room for advancement unless you area relative or member of the good old boys club. Example: Southeast Regional Sales Manager is nephew of former North America General Manager and was incompetent at best.

The company recently laid off 7,800 employees worldwide and employees in the U.S. were notified on 9/29/14 they were being laid off effective 10/1/14 and company would not pay your severance pay(which was very weak) unless you signed an unfair release statement. Company did not use the WARN Act in the U.S. A 5 man committee which consisted of the "good old boys club" in Danvers decided who would be let go in the U.S. and of course they protected "their people". Sales management team wreaks of favoritism and the Southeast manager played favorites, was incompetent and was responsible for loss of millions of dollars in sales via loss of distribution and major end user business.
Pros
benefits were ok
Cons
terrible management, nepotism and little room for career advancement
A wonderful group of people. Great place to learn, grow, and advance.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westfield, INOctober 17, 2012
Osram Sylvania was by far one of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had. They give you incredible training and prepare you for several different rolls in the company, so your opportunity for advancement and growth is always there. I have never seen a company that appreciates it's employees as much as Osram Sylvania. The management is very family oriented and since I was a single mom working they were very flexible in working with me.
I cannot begin to list the amount of skills I learned and the importance in team work. I enjoyed going to work and very much enjoyed talking and helping our customers.
Unfortunately I am a single mom and with 2 small children I was not able to continue with the hours and drive. But I am grateful to have had to opportunity to work there, and to learn there.
Accountant specialist
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MANovember 22, 2015
I reviewed and processed all expense reports for corporate office.
I also helped with the implantation of the computerized expense reports system called TEARS. I also had various other responsibilities.
Pros
Loved my job
Cons
Layed off
Great group of people
Office Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MAAugust 5, 2015
I love my job and love what I do, however, there have been a lot of layoffs and it makes me feel unsafe. my management is the best I have ever had
Pros
Love what I do, co-workers work as a team, management awesome
Cons
Major layoffs
Well organiized work place
IN PROCESS INSPECTER (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, NHOctober 30, 2015
Work place was clean.People were nice,pay was good ,the mangement was well organized,there was alot of overtime not to far to travel to work
Pros
GOOD BENEFIETS
Cons
LAID OFF

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSRAM SYLVANIA. Our community is ready to answer.