OSU Wexner Medical Center Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
I learned and fine tuned my skills and became very confident in my ability as a nurse
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2017
My days were always busy and very productive. I give credit to this hospital and the staff that I worked with for giving me the knowledge and skills that I have achieved. I was on the ground floor to learn about heart transplant and the treatment and medication for those patient. I will be forever thankful for what they taught me even the pressure that was part of the job. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Pros
Benfits and the expience in the different areas of the hospital
Cons
short lunch breaks and not enough time to chart within schedule hours
Tough Department to be in
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 6, 2017
The hardest part of the job was the lack of coverage, consistent rules and guidelines, and management. The most enjoyable was that I met some great people while in the position.
Pros
Great people
Cons
short staffed, poor management, unclear procedures
Not a great experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 6, 2017
I left this lab because the culture was not positive or encouraging. I did not advance in my position and I did not feel that I was getting my time's worth in this position.
Stressful
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 29, 2017
Good company to work for, but poor management
Management should take some courses on how to lead with compassion and patience.
The manager treated its employees with disrespect and lack of attention to lead
i love this place!
Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 28, 2017
I have been working here for a total of 3 years. I love it. the only complaint I have is the low pay for jobs in fields such as Distribution, patient transport, housekeeping, and nutrition.
nice place to work
Nurse Aide/receptionist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 15, 2017
very busy day, the patient make my day, they be so happy to see me, and I be happy to see them, management help when im busy, mulit cuture their, the hardest part of the day is saying by to my resident, the most enjoyable part of the day is putting a smile on a patient face, when they are not feeling well.
Good Place
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 9, 2017
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is a fun and exciting place to work with many high powered research teams and opportunities to get involved with important research.
Overall not bad, could use improvement though
Construction Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 8, 2017
Working for OSU is great, in most instances. The bad: parking and sub-standard wages are generally the biggest gripe here.

Being bused a mile and a half to work makes emergency situations harder to deal with, a huge negative if you have young children. Although it seems as though the parking contractor is finally giving us a break from the $500/ year rates, the general concern is that we will end up paying just as much next year with even less convenience.

Across the board, pay scales are way below market averages. The benefits are decent with a total of 24% of your income being invested to a retirement account, but that doesn't really help when you're trying to pay rent/mortgage, childcare, all your household bills and the outrageous parking fees. You can't eat benefits.
Pros
Actually helping people
Cons
Hungry, Can't find my car....
A productive Day
Epic Radiant and inpatient Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 4, 2017
Efficiently supported clinicians to navigate through their clinical workflow on the hyperspace and trained nurses on post-op documentation workflow which makes me glad
Productive Replace
Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 28, 2017
OSU James Cancer Hospital is a fun place to work out. I meet several patients that make s me feel truly blessed. Also, I work with several great coworkers. I recommend anyone to apply.
Good place to work with multiple opportunities if you are patient.
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 22, 2017
Definitely would recommend OSU Wexner Medical Center. They offer a good pay scale, and there are always positions open so the opportunity for advancement or change is always there. However, though it is advised at hiring that you only have to work 6 mos in one position before moving up/on, that is not true. You have to put in at least a year, if not more, so patience is virtue here.
Pros
Good pay, good opportunities
Cons
Management is not involved, not supportive, of issues
Great benefits. Ok nursing ratios.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 16, 2017
Year 1 was great, working in PCU/step down unit with 3:1 patient to nurse ratio. Since moving to the new unit in the brain and spine hospital with 4:1 nurse to patient ratios the workload has been unmanageable.
Fun with smile on all or most team members, we did it together.
Staff Registered Nurse/ Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2017
A typical day at work is when we give each shift change report and smile to each with "have a nice day". The shift report gives me clues on whether the day has gone well or what is expected of the coming shift. When I worked before shift report, I like to know if it was all well when I call my colleagues, I usually ask them if there is any thing that need to be done or could have done differently. My ideal work culture will the one that guarantees dependability of co-workers. The hardest part of the work, is lack of communication that led to delay or unintended consequences. The most enjoyment part of the job is when a client is satisfied, happy, healthier and quality of care is recognizably high.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 7, 2017
This hospital provide a great workplace culture for student looking to get hand on experience in the hospital. However, getting hire by the hospital hold some challenges as people remain in the same position till retirement.
very productive/organized learning environment
Taylor Ave - Unit Clerical Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 7, 2017
I've learned a numerous of skills at Ohio State Medical Center where I have been employed for 9 years. I've learned how different patient units operate, cashiering, I've been able to explain to patient units(I use to work in nutrition Department) how the nutrition department operates so they can have a better understanding of why some food deliveries may not be a easy transition at all times. Management have always been willing to accommodate school schedules for employee, very diverse working environment. If I had to chose something hard about my job is trying to accommodate every single patient even when you've felt like you've done everything possible to make the situation better. I enjoy my coworkers and the team work.
Pros
discounts, valued by others
Cons
high expectations from people
Great place to work with lots of opportunities and professional growth
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2017
I have been with this hospital systems since 2010 and I really like the people. It is a big place with many job opportunities with caring staff and good management.
Excellent place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2017
This position was by far my favorite.
Lots of opportunities to gain experience as it is a very large teaching hospital. Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Great benefits, wonderful management
Great place to work.
Supply Chain Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 25, 2017
What makes this so funny, is, I am a huge Michigan fan.
This is the best place I have ever been employed. Can you say "retire?"
The money is not the "greatest", it is not bad either though, but it is comparable for the field I am in.
Pros
Advancement, free/cheap education as long as you are an employee and 50% discount for family.
Cons
Have to pay to park
Great place to work. Privides an excellent benefits package including a traditional state retirement pension.
Medical Records Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 21, 2017
I worked at this hospital for over 20 years. I was pleased to have been a part of this wonderful hospital that is known not only in the US but also internationally. This hospital is of the highest ratings that other hospitals with the same level of care that OSU brings to the population.
Pros
Great salary and the opportunity to work from home.
Cons
The job is stressful, the job requires knowledge of codes and regulations, these codes and regulations change constantly
Sicu nccu staff nurse
Staff Nurse ICU and PCA (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 20, 2017
The culture of the company in my opinion makes for a uncomfortable work environment. Having a union in place sometimes can help you feel more comfortable at times, if you utilize it appropriately.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSU Wexner Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2